[PSL9] Season Baen9neXL - THE HYPE THREAD

9 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

I actually agree that the secondary showdown tier hasn't ever really had the quality we had hoped for. But the notion that mmo players spend more time planning, testing, and teambuilding than showdown players is laughable, and also completely beyond proof.

The level of dedication required to play competitive mmo is considerable for psl and therefore no one would waste their time grinding for comps if prior to that they hadn't taking the time to break down the meta. Showdown players don't have to do anything to play on a simulator. 

10 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

That's not really true in theory. With showdown, you are not limited by resources/building comps, so all of your time investment goes into scouting, teambuilding, and testing, which is much easier to do with a huge playerbase for SM OU.

In theory, you are absolutely right. Showdown players have more time to teambuild, plan and all that prep before competing, but every PSL most people end up disappointed by the performances of Showdown players. Imo, this indicates that the time showdown players save from not having to grind is not used towards their prepation, but moreso to not caring as much about PSL.

Edited by gbwead

To weigh in, I totally agree that the Showdown tier has it's own value. It not only brings back dead players that are reluctant to let go of the game, but it also bridges the gaps between various metas. Unfortunately, the HYPE around a second showdown tier has failed time and time again. From ADV to BW to SMOU to VGC15, 16, and 17... the competitive level is always pretty darn shit. I'd love to have another Showdown tier, but historically speaking there is no evidence stating it will be any different than before. SMOU was a complete shit show last season and it was honestly really boring to watch. Considering that, it's time to venture away from Showdown and highlight the one tier that we do have a diverse and skilled playerbase in, "DPP", while promoting our own tiers. 

LC will be a mainstay of PokeMMO and it shouldn't come as a surprise that we will support that here. There will not be a 2nd Showdown tier sadly. 

1 hour ago, DoubleJ said:

To weigh in, I totally agree that the Showdown tier has it's own value. It not only brings back dead players that are reluctant to let go of the game, but it also bridges the gaps between various metas. Unfortunately, the HYPE around a second showdown tier has failed time and time again. From ADV to BW to SMOU to VGC15, 16, and 17... the competitive level is always pretty darn shit. I'd love to have another Showdown tier, but historically speaking there is no evidence stating it will be any different than before. SMOU was a complete shit show last season and it was honestly really boring to watch. Considering that, it's time to venture away from Showdown and highlight the one tier that we do have a diverse and skilled playerbase in, "DPP", while promoting our own tiers. 

LC will be a mainstay of PokeMMO and it shouldn't come as a surprise that we will support that here. There will not be a 2nd Showdown tier sadly. 

but we still having VGC r-r-right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.