Question about Confusion now compared to pre-unova

Hi, not a rant this time just a innocent question as i am wondering if my head is fcking with me or if it actually changed alot.

pre-unova:

when i did a attack like confusion ray,, or swagger the pokemon would hit me (rip) or selfhit and i could stall a turn, to my experience this was very very well balanced like 50% i got lucky , 50% i got rekt, wich is what a gamble is suppose to be like, win/lose 50-50.

now:

when i do the same confusion moves it feels like i get rekt 90% of the time while a selfhit occurs 10% of the time ( this is based on my feel towards it), and i wonder is this just me being rlly unlucky and getting the 50% get rekt alot of times ( possible), or did DEV overdo it and make confusion a useless mechanic to use now? ,

if latter i think it will eventually break the game if they start to adjust the moves and how they are suppose to function, im sure the original creators of these moves (gamefreak probably, i dont know my shit on that one so its a guess) would have already tested and balanced these moves for good reasons, because everything keeps eachother in check.