Project to add PokeMMO in the official Debian/Ubuntu packaging

I am one of the members of the "Debian Games Team" for packaging various games for the Debian project.

I would like to do a bundle of this game, but I have verified that it is necessary that you have a proprietary file "PokeMMO.exe" for the game to work.

Is it possible to replace this file or release the source code for correct compilation?

Thanks!

PokeMMO.exe is a combination jar and exe created by http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/
Due to the nature of automatic updates inherent of an MMO this isn't really something which can be worked around. Using this format all desktop (Windows/Linux/OSX) share a common inter-compatible main executable and therefore automatic updates.

Our default linux packages are simply a bootstrapping mechanism which invokes the updater (.jar) to automatically download the client files.

We have an email for the linux package maintainers at [email protected]

I had checked a portable "zip" version that I found very simple to put it in the official Debian repositories, which makes it difficult to file "PokeMMO.exe" by default.

It would be interesting if this game went directly to the Debian repository and other GNU/Linux distributions where the user of your preferred distribution runs the program manager and see the "PokeMMO" in the list without needing an installer.

I am willing to put it legally in the Debian repositories. :D

Logically respecting the copyright of the game. ;)

Edited by coringao

We distribute a Debian/Ubuntu package at https://dl.pokemmo.eu/download/pokemmo-launcher_1.3-1.deb which is a GPLv3 installer script + .jar bootstrapper. This is similar to how Steam's package functions   

Because the game's requirements change over time (OpenGL minimum version, java version requirements, updater feed format changes), and the game is frequently updated, we do not think it would be good to distribute the portable version as the "official" package due to the bandwidth requirements / potential compatibility problems. A minimal version like the above .deb would be better to maintain

Cool, in this case, I will make the official packaging of this "script + .jar bootstrapper", respecting the copyright and NOT making any kind of changes in these two files.

As soon as I finish and publish it in Debian project , I will let you know.

Just now, coringao said:

Cool, in this case, I will make the official packaging of this "script + .jar bootstrapper", respecting the copyright and NOT making any kind of changes in these two files.

As soon as I finish and publish it in Debian project , I will let you know.

The usr/games/pokemmo-launcher script is GPLv3, so you can make whatever changes are necessary for each distribution.

The pokemmo_bootstrapper.jar is currently incompatible with Java 9, and we would like to add a download mirror to ensure it can handle the potential traffic. Please CC [email protected] prior to the release. Thanks

how would a linux person finding this in their distro go about launching the game if the roms are missing?

the client will just pop out and ask for roms?

or am I not understanding what you are trying to do?

46 minutes ago, axx said:

how would a linux person finding this in their distro go about launching the game if the roms are missing?

the client will just pop out and ask for roms?

or am I not understanding what you are trying to do?

I'll add in the package description and I create a game manpage.

The user will see in the description of the program manager of the GNU / Linux distribution.

The more experts that will use the terminal, will enter only:

Installing in Debian / Ubuntu / LinuxMint, etc ...

# apt install pokémmo

Description of the game before installing:

$ apt show pokémmo

Game Manual:

$ man pokémmo

This will happen in all distributions based on Debian and Ubuntu.

Edited by coringao

Perdon por interrumpir su conversación, pero tengo un problema para instalarme en mi pc(lubuntu) 17.10, me sale un mensaje relacionado a la carpeta consola.log (hace falta que lo publique en el foro o algo así), y no se como hacerlo, desde ya agredesco su apoyo.

Edited by Acehiken99