effectiveness visible in moveset

48 minutes ago, Malorne said:

If you dont know what a pokemon is capable of, you shouldn't be doing PvP anyway, unless you deliberately want to become a fodder for others.

47 minutes ago, Yourmajestytx said:

I understand but in the next battle...?

player can still play pvp even if he doesn't know what the pokemon is capable of. just means that the player will first lose, then he learns somethings, gets better, get back again to pvp, wins. i think it's a better way to learn things instead of the game telling you what to do.

you are less likely to make a mistake is someone tells you what to do...

this doesn't prevent the player to make other mistakes but it sure helps him a lot. it takes away a mistake that can make a difference between winning and losing

19 hours ago, Rigamorty said:

This was actually a thing that really bothered me when they added it to sun/moon. It just doesn't seem right. When I encounter a new species for the first time I feel like there should be some sort of mystery to it. I want to be able to see a new thing and try to figure out its typing on my own, not have its weaknesses revealed to me immediately. Learning something's typing the hard way has been one of the most fun things I've experienced in Pokémon; From the time gunthug tried to shadow ball a girafarig, to the time topquake used fake out and psychic at the same time on sableye in a double battle. Most of getting good at Pokémon comes from learning how the game works, and this feels like it almost takes away an aspect of gameplay giving you one less thing to learn about. 

pretty much what he said there

If we're going to display weaknesses, why not display typing? If the point is to streamline knowledge, why leave some aspects a mystery such as, "why is this super effective?" or "I've no idea what type this pokemon is, but this move says it'll work."

The idea is great, but if the point is to educate, there are still some missing elements. Either Display typing in-battle after catching Pokemon, and have a weakness chart accessible in the client, so people can do research through their Pokedex's, or allow typing to be as easily visible as the weaknesses(even on first encounters).

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

If we're going to display weaknesses, why not display typing? If the point is to streamline knowledge, why leave some aspects a mystery such as, "why is this super effective?" or "I've no idea what type this pokemon is, but this move says it'll work."

I personally have no issue with displaying typing in the 'dex on 'seen'.

First we actually need to display the typing in the 'dex at all though.

1 minute ago, Darkshade said:

I personally have no issue with displaying typing in the 'dex on 'seen'.

First we actually need to display the typing in the 'dex at all though.

I don't think having a "Type matchup" section in the dex would be that bad and it should stop these nubs complaining, it could show: resistances, immunities, weaknesses ;0

3 minutes ago, Dinkle said:

I don't think having a "Type matchup" section in the dex would be that bad and it should stop these nubs complaining, it could show: resistances, immunities, weaknesses ;0

I agree, there are lots of things currently missing from the 'dex that would be of a large benefit to newer players and those unfamiliar with certain mechanics (Tracing back egg moves to parents etc.).

a type matchup chart would be one of them.

38 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

You're welcome to make a suggestion, internally though I believe we have something written up.

It couldn't hurt.

Any chance we can see a disable option for this? At least for pvp? Ok that this helps newer players, but idk, my OCD really dislikes it.

22 minutes ago, redspawn said:

Any chance we can see a disable option for this? At least for pvp? Ok that this helps newer players, but idk, my OCD really dislikes it.

I don't see any harm in an option to disable the feature (although I think we should be wary of having too many options - not that this is by any means too much)

While not a priority, we'll see what we can do.

My only con with this new feature is that its visually unappealing, cluttering the bottoms with extra text looks off.

Can you put the effectiveness of the move in the info tab that pops when you hover over the button?

1 minute ago, Darkshade said:

That isn't visible enough.

Hover-overs are generally a bad solution.

But that's mainly because players usually don't realize they exist. Once they notice they might start using it since the information is more readily available than opening the dex.

The point is that for the players to know the hover over exists there should be a tutorial like in any sensible MMO, which has been a suggestion for the past 4 years if memory serves me right.

6 minutes ago, axx said:

The point is that for the players to know the hover over exists there should be a tutorial like in any sensible MMO, which has been a suggestion for the past 4 years if memory serves me right.

Tutorials are fine if they're presented to the player in certain ways - but a tutorial that exists largely for the purpose of outright being a tutorial (or at least presented as such) doesn't always work - that's when poeples eyes glaze over and they spam Z without paying any attention to the information they're being given.

The beginning of the B/W storyline is definitely a good example of that.

Smaller tutorials (such as the first battle in the GBA regions) are probably fine, because they actively happen as you're playing.

Now you could argue that if they skip it, that's their own fault that they don't understand the information.

And if you did, you wouldn't be incorrect - but it's also on us as designers to try and prevent such a thing from happening - we also want people to stick around and continue playing, so giving them information in a way that they retain it/it is immediately useful to them is beneficial to both the playerbase and to the game.

9 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

giving them information in a way that they retain it/it is immediately useful to them

I mean, as opposed to many (apparently) I'm not against the information being there, It is just my opinion that the method currently being used is not the prettiest as the GUI looks kind of messy.

Edited by axx
a typo

I've used Pokemmo to get some new players into Pokemon, and I think those of us who have been playing the games for years don't realize just how hard the type matchups are to internalize, especially if you are playing only a little bit of the storyline maybe once a week. And not all of them are as clear as grass-fire-water.

I haven't had the chance to play through with a new player with the new UI changes, but I was happy to see them implemented in the last update and I think it is a step in the right direction. Personally I would like an option to turn it off as I prefer a cleaner UI, but it is no big deal. If you're a player who actually needs it to remember type matchups you're not going to winning any serious PvP games anyway.

However I think Pokemmo has two issues in its current state that makes it harder for a newer player to internalize type matchups compared to the games:

• There needs to be a sound effect on hit for type effectiveness. The human brain is very good at remembering things through sound. The console games have very distinct sounds for super effective hits/not very effective hits, and this is an often overlooked means for teaching player's game mechanics, and its effects are really only noticed when it is absent.
  • Move animations. I know this is being worked on which is good to see, but it makes it connect that fire beats bug when you actually see an ember roast a bug as opposed to clicking a button and having it faint.
2 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

@Darkshade can we at least have the option to turn them off?

10 hours ago, Darkshade said:

I don't see any harm in an option to disable the feature (although I think we should be wary of having too many options - not that this is by any means too much)

While not a priority, we'll see what we can do.

???

On 12-12-2017 at 1:30 PM, Desu said:

The game isn't a roflstomp anymore for storyline content. This change highly benefits casual players who might otherwise not understand certain type matchups.

sorry but if i know my shit its gonna be roflstomp anyway :) nomatter what limit u give me, i will overcome it anyway half asleep (N was tricky tho while my playstyle was 50% banned, confusion, those fights was more fun so compliments on that) , however i wanted to respond on the part where u say casual players might not understand certain matchups otherwise, imo if they dont understand it they should learn it,

and i dont know why but i feel like its a bit of cheating lol, (<- just a personal feel not a argument at all)

i do want to promote teaching new players their sups and not effects and offc immumes, but i somehow would have prefered a npc with explanations and maybe a battle following with this function being used in there ( so u could have a tutorial battle while the moves showing and maybe npc explains things like type advantages , base stats and how natures influence them , what iv's are , ev's are etc etc. at least that way they could choose like from a dropdown menu for ex something like this:

- Type Advantages

- Type Disadvantages

- Immunities

- Base stats

- Natures

- IV & EV

- etc.

What i do notice in chat sometimes is people who want to learn things and usually one of the other guys or myself will try explain how it works ( tho i have to say 90% community will ignore and be like git gud git rekt)

so instead of taking our time to do a good deed, why not have a npc with information? and i actually also know a few candidates : Oak , Juniper , birk? , <- i think that was the 3 starting professors, i noticed how oak during tournaments knew a lot of things and had great insights in battles, so it feels legit lol.

ontopic:

where is my off switch? , i wanna learn and make mistakes on my own strenght

Edited by Nibero
  • 3 years later...
On 12/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, notmudkip0 said:

I'd be fine with an option to turn it off. I personally dislike it but get that some could use it.

I agree completely. I'm currently looking for an option / mod to turn it off, it makes the strategy part of the game much more enjoyable for me

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 10:49 PM, Harmonia2Side said:

I agree completely. I'm currently looking for an option / mod to turn it off, it makes the strategy part of the game much more enjoyable for me

I figured it out. Posted here:

Thanks to @Zoubek for making the fine tutorial that helped me to realized I could edit the GUI in this way:

Sword and shield literally has this, but the opponent needs to be in your pokedex for their weaknesses to display.

It's one thing for convenience to not have to remember if ice resists ice or not, cause those self-resist are kinda wack sometimes.

But it's another if the UI tells you your opponent's psychic/normal dual-type on a species you've never encountered before.

If added this way, it's also another incentive for dex completion. (though in sword/shield i believe you only need to register the pokemon as 'seen' to get this UI benefit)