effectiveness visible in moveset

i have a small doubt on this one because despite its extremely handy and usefull, i can not shake the feeling that its a bit too much handholding wich would allow inexperienced players to always make their best choices(to a degree),and i think instead it would be better to add the type of the pokemon near hp bar or something so u can do your own math and decision making, and it would come a bit more down to skill asin you knowing your sup's and uneffectives. overall its a nice update tho good work.

1 minute ago, notmudkip0 said:

I'd be fine with an option to turn it off. I personally dislike it but get that some could use it.

yeah but also people who would normally be noobs now automaticly know what button to push to hit you hard ( aside from knowing ur 4x's)

edit: i guess the x4 knowlegde is the only advantage i got now lol

Edited by Nibero
13 minutes ago, Nibero said:

yeah but also people who would normally be noobs now automaticly know what button to push to hit you hard ( aside from knowing ur 4x's)

edit: i guess the x4 knowlegde is the only advantage i got now lol

there would also be the knowledge of special and physical move with the knowledge of what is the pokemon your using and also facing so i guess these noob can still make shitty play thinking they are making the right one

I would argue that "noobs" knowing what is super effective against what is actually a good thing, and healthy for a competitive environment. It puts everyone on a more even playing field rather than giving an advantage to players with a better memory, more previous experience with the current generation, or the willingness to Google it. There is nothing skillful about beating someone just because they didn't know that your Lucario was part steel and they tried to finish it off with Sludge Bomb.

5 minutes ago, RacheLucario said:

I would argue that "noobs" knowing what is super effective against what is actually a good thing, and healthy for a competitive environment. It puts everyone on a more even playing field rather than giving an advantage to players with a better memory, more previous experience with the current generation, or the willingness to Google it. There is nothing skillful about beating someone just because they didn't know that your Lucario was part steel and they tried to finish it off with Sludge Bomb.

why don't those players with more experience, a better memory, or the willingness to google deserve an advantage?

stop spoonfeeding imo

Edited by Flavawhat
2 minutes ago, Flavawhat said:

why don't those players with more experience, a better memory, or the willingness to google deserve an advantage?

stop spoonfeeding imo

Shouldn't you already had the advantage?

It's not as if we're giving players specifics as to how much damage each move is doing, just a general just as to what is effective.

That doesn't touch upon general strategies or anything like that - it's not really any different to knowing whether a move is Physical or Special (And yes, this is needed info).

It's basically just a STAB + Type effectiveness chart built into a move, which is something everybody should know.

Or are you worried that these 'noobs' are going to be beating you in PvP now that they have type effectiveness knowledge? ;;;;)))

(I am just teasing you)

1 minute ago, Darkshade said:

Or are you worried that these 'noobs' are going to be beating you in PvP now that they have type effectiveness knowledge? ;;;;)))

Hide contents

(I am just teasing you)

i was asking this for a friend @DaftCoolio

either way im not too bothered about it being added, there was a mod which did the same.

i just didn't agree with how Rache phrased it

Edited by Flavawhat
1 minute ago, Flavawhat said:

stop spoonfeeding imo

Pokemon requires a lot of knowledge to succeed in competitively, beyond just knowing type advantages. An experienced player knows that it's not worth using (unboosted) Aura Sphere against a Chansey, because it'll shrug it off. An inexperienced player will try it, see that it doesn't work well despite being super effective, and learn that it was a wasted turn. Type effectiveness only teaches players the basics, and it does this primarily during the storyline. Knowledge of speed tiers, damage ranges, movepools, how to predict, etc still comes with experience.

15 minutes ago, RacheLucario said:

There is nothing skillful about beating someone just because they didn't know that your Lucario was part steel and they tried to finish it off with Sludge Bomb.

Actually not.

But its quite fun tho. LOL

@Topic

I personally dont think it ll change nothing in PvP. Unless we adopt gen VI foward mechanics which remove dark and ghost resistence from steel types or something like that.

I didnt like so much the UI too (sorry Devs we know u work hard), but its cus its just useless for me (and tons of people too). I like more clear UIs and less visual polution, so a "disable" option would be nice. (no, thats not a issue, just a sugestion)

i guess i see the point of true expertise will still win regarding knowing physical special etc and what ur own pokemons are capable off, good point also, and i guess its a good way to learn for new players so i guess im okay with it, the option to disable it by choice would be nice tho, atm it feels like im getting free answers i want my brain to do that work else i get rusty in the end without the spoilers. its also a part of the challenge for me to each time have the correct answer without help :P

Edited by Nibero
1 hour ago, lebub said:

I dont think it's a really good idea because of abilities such Levitate.

Reveal hidden contents

850594pokemmo.png

I spam EQ because it's super effective but Lunatone is so tanky i cant damage it.

I might be wrong, but I do believe that if you attempt to use a move that will not hit a target with levitate then it will show the ability and say something about it as well. Unless that has been changed and I am rambling.

I personally see it as a good step to help out. It helps get the basics out there, but other things still need to be learned through experience such as which species can have the ability levitate.

I don't understand, this isn't necessary, I think that learning the type table is one of the minimum requirements to be a competitive player, if you don't know, don't play pvp, this simply benefits the noobs and the idiots, if a player does not know that the poison does not affect the steel type This one deserves to lose the duel.

noobs stuck at 500 elo anyways so if u are good you shouldn't be matched with them anyways :)

at least not so often :V

I like the option bc even tho I know the ou meta sometimes I face pokemon that are UU or NU and I have no Idea the fuck they do. The other day I spent like 2 minutes trying to figure out what was the secondary type of that weird looking frog kek

1 hour ago, Thozx said:

I don't understand, this isn't necessary, I think that learning the type table is one of the minimum requirements to be a competitive player, if you don't know, don't play pvp, this simply benefits the noobs and the idiots, if a player does not know that the poison does not affect the steel type This one deserves to lose the duel.

Do you seriously think you're going to get beat by anyone who needs this assistance? Honest question.

Edited by Raichu4u

Funny how this is mainly about PvP, hand holding while imo Players who actually PvP competitively should have the knowledge to win easily against "unexperienced" players that actually benefit from this feature.

I personally think this feature is great for new friends/ people that hasnt played the game or came back after 1000 years to find out that there are tons of pokemon and type combinations added. And to learn that fast, which took some to learn years, gives a better learning-curve to this game and make it more fun for casual players.

Disable option the effectiveness UI seems like an OK solution for those who seem to be distracted by this feature. 
But I would definitely keep this function for:
- Uniqueness within this game

- More new player-friendly entry for this game (friends, girlfriends, boyfriends who never played Pokemon benefit from this)

- people who claim to be 'Experienced' should not be scared of this

Sorry for the long post (or not)

I would have to agree with OP, it would be much more intuitive to help people learn with an in-game weakness chart to refer to, and types listed by the Pokemon's name whilst in battle. This is more likely to cause people to retain no information when it comes to type advantages, rather than a streamlined way of learning the advantages for yourself-- and then retaining the knowledge.

I would suggest the ability to open a small advantage/weakness chart pop-up(In Pokedex?), alongside visible types while in battle.

Speaking as a person who isn't very familiar with competitive or newer generation typing, I do not see this as beneficial where learning is concerned.

Or better yet, list the weaknesses of Pokemon only after they're registered as caught. Allow research to be done in the Pokedex, and reason for competitive players with lackluster mindsets to fill out their Pokedex. This reliance on the Pokedex would gradually decline as the OP states, no one wants their hands held and would help to remember things they had set out to research-- by catching said pokemon.

Edited by Michelle
12 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

I might be wrong, but I do believe that if you attempt to use a move that will not hit a target with levitate then it will show the ability and say something about it as well. Unless that has been changed and I am rambling.

I personally see it as a good step to help out. It helps get the basics out there, but other things still need to be learned through experience such as which species can have the ability levitate.

Just give me 1 good reason to why this is a necessity in the game. There isn't. It ruins the HUD imo.