Mod file extension

• Kizhaz pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I read the 'documentation' on mods.  It wasn't helpful for answering my question.

Which settings are required for zip/mod files to be recognized by PokeMMO?

pLnEhWT.png

More specifically these settings (using 7-zip) so the mod is recognized in-game:

Compression Level
Compression Method
Dictionary Size
Word Size

12 minutes ago, Daedalus007 said:

So I read the 'documentation' on mods.  It wasn't helpful for answering my question.

Which settings are required for zip/mod files to be recognized by PokeMMO?

pLnEhWT.png

More specifically these settings (using 7-zip) so the mod is recognized in-game:

Compression Level
Compression Method
Dictionary Size
Word Size

Try just using the normal Window's Zip functionality (right click on the directory and select: send to>Compressed (Zipped) Folder). As long as you structured your mod directory correctly, you shouldn't have any issues.

20 hours ago, Gilan said:

Try just using the normal Window's Zip functionality (right click on the directory and select: send to>Compressed (Zipped) Folder). As long as you structured your mod directory correctly, you shouldn't have any issues.

That functionality isn't enabled on my system since I have 7-zip installed.  I was hoping for a decent answer but I guess I'll just have to do some manual testing and figure it out.  Oh welp.

41 minutes ago, Daedalus007 said:

That functionality isn't enabled on my system since I have 7-zip installed.  I was hoping for a decent answer but I guess I'll just have to do some manual testing and figure it out.  Oh welp.

I also use 7-Zip and I am able to Right Click and select Send To -> Compressed Archive File.

Looked in the help file and it says default ZIP archival format is 'Deflate' so I'm going to give that a try and post back.

So here are the results since apparently nobody else had done this kind of testing before.

I ended up doing the testing myself and figured out compatible settings for PokeMMO modding.

-Archive Format: ZIP is the only one supported for modding
-Compression Level: Any setting is ok, from lowest 'Store' all the way to Ultra
-Compression Method: Deflate or PPMd are the only two that work.  Deflate64, LZMA, and Bzip2 will NOT work.
-Dictionary Size, Word Size, and CPU threads can be set to whatever you like.

So the optimal settings for max compression of a mod would be:

-ZIP archive format

-Ultra compression level

-Deflate compression method

-32 KB dictionary size

-258 word size
-CPU Threads equal to the number you have in your computer (or just 1 if you don't know)

Edited by Daedalus007

@Daedalus007

I don't know how the client uses the mods. If fully loading at startup, loading would take longer at Ultra compression. (Might be noticeable at slower pc's). If data is picked-up along the way the client might uses more of the pc resources. (What client crashes, hangtime, ect.). 

And why compress to Ultra, mods are not that big (if compared to the B/W rom)....

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:15 AM, Heineken88 said:

@Daedalus007

I don't know how the client uses the mods. If fully loading at startup, loading would take longer at Ultra compression. (Might be noticeable at slower pc's). If data is picked-up along the way the client might uses more of the pc resources. (What client crashes, hangtime, ect.). 

And why compress to Ultra, mods are not that big (if compared to the B/W rom)....

My PC was built in 2010 (so about 8 years old) and runs nearly everything I throw at it.  I have no slowdowns or other issues when starting the game.  I tested both 'Store' (no compression) and 'Ultra' (max compression).

As for most people who are on lower-end hardware, they have a choice if they want to reduce loading times and don't really care about speed in that they can choose a lower amount of compression or none at all.  The beautiful thing about 7-zip is just how well it optimizes compression even on Ultra using the ZIP format.

When transferring mods to others, Ultra compression is desirable to respect players with limited data use/bandwidth and those on mobile internet.  Especially when these mods are 'music replacement' or similar mods with significant space concerns.  Barely 30% of the world (far less than that) even has proper (land-based) broadband internet access so these types of respectful methods are still relevant for both local and international players alike.

I feel it is up to the creator of the mod as to what compression level they desire.  I did state in my 'optimal recommended settings' that they were settings that were optimal for 'maximum compression'.

If we're really being honest though, not supporting the 7-zip format in PokeMMO is already going to be suboptimal for space concerns.  Some types of files don't compress all that well even with 'Ultra' settings.  I'm hoping that actual 7-zip format and LZMA (1 and 2) compression formats are supported in the future for mods so that people can make the choice as to how they want to create and distribute mods.

Now that I have revealed 'what works', it is trivial to edit other mods that have one or two things that I dislike.  I recently unpacked the 'Pokemon Voices' one because Pokemon like Rattata had the LOUDEST SOUNDS EVER while everything else was barely audible.  Testing this in my audio editor I did indeed see that it wasn't just my imagination.  About an hour later with audio normalization across all 4 voice packs and I'm happy :)

On 21-2-2018 at 10:28 PM, Daedalus007 said:

When transferring mods to others, Ultra compression is desirable to respect players with limited data use/bandwidth and those on mobile internet.  Especially when these mods are 'music replacement' or similar mods with significant space concerns.  Barely 30% of the world (far less than that) even has proper (land-based) broadband internet access so these types of respectful methods are still relevant for both local and international players alike.

Good point, didn't think about that. I have fiberglass 300mbit up and down. But at the other hand, if you have a little more patients and wait a few minutes longer and play the game while it downloads...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2017/12/11 at 9:25 PM, Desu said:

The update today added support for loading mods that end in .mod instead of .zip

Mod creators are encouraged to utilize the new file extension when publishing mods to avoid the confusion of whether to extract the mod or not.

On 2017/12/11 at 9:25 PM, Desu said:

You can still use .zip to test/create your mods and legacy mods ending .zip will still function just fine.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 9:21 PM, RTCanwind said:

It seems that mods with ".mod" will fail to load ICON.png. 

Not on mine, or any of the other 4 mods I use. All .mod files are displaying their icon.png files in the mod management menu

• 4 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, Desu said:

The update today added support for loading mods that end in .mod instead of .zip

Mod creators are encouraged to utilize the new file extension when publishing mods to avoid the confusion of whether to extract the mod or not.

You can still use .zip to test/create your mods and legacy mods ending .zip will still function just fine.

• 1 month later...
于2017/12/11 PM9点25分,Desu 说:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/20/2018 at 8:15 PM, Heineken88 said:

@Daedalus007

Ultra [max compress], max backup using zip reduces potential zip bomb