Kyu done snapped with this one

22 minutes ago, Matoka said:

A better question is why do the plants have to wither in the first place you if you successfully watered them perfectly.

Why -is- withering a thing? 

Instead of looking at withering as an additional mechanic to watering, think of it as an extension to the mechanic.

It withers for the same reason; you didn't pick it in time.

The same reason if you don't water it in time you're given a penalty.

The real question is whether the alotted time is reasonable enough for this to be 'fair'.

21 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

it's a waste of my time to deal with it.

And that's ok - it may be a waste of your time from your point of view, but to the players who benefit from your purchases, I imagine they feel it is a good use of their own.

That's how most MMO economies work - we don't expect all players to take every role, but rather rely on each other for different areas of gameplay fulfillments.

17 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

Complaints in my opinion will be negated if you work around the average work day one person goes by, which is about 8 hours (with the wilt system being 8 or 8+ hours). I would definitely participate in the berry system a whole lot more if I knew that as I was coming home from work, I could quickly log onto my account when I got home and harvest my berries.

Why not pick them quickly after waking up?

Most of the growing times were designed with work days/sleep in mind - The withering times are an extension of that - so by the time you come home from work they should be ready to pick.

What you're suggesting is having them ready to pick after they've already been 'ready' since before the time you decided to leave your house.

Which [in my opinion] -might- be a little too on the leanient side, but I might be wrong.

1 hour ago, Darkshade said:

Do you think it would be beneficial to have time information available in the UI somewhere for currently active berries?

That would be nice, yes.

I don't think berry farming is too complicated. Maybe there are people that fear it would be to difficult, won't try it and thus continue to believe it were difficult?
It is just something (more) you need to get used to and - just like breeding - are helped to do so by a guide in this forum (thanks @ShadowGary)
- Maybe add an entry/link in the ingame faq to this guide, or generally again a link to the forum as before

I believe the excessive amount of farming spots in Unova makes it easier for anybod willing to farm berries.
Adding an equivalent to the wailmer pail would be nice to reduce the needed time to make it similar to that needed in Hoenn (unless I missed the item).

26 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Why not pick them quickly after waking up?

Most of the growing times were designed with work days/sleep in mind - The withering times are an extension of that - so by the time you come home from work they should be ready to pick.

What you're suggesting is having them ready to pick after they've already been 'ready' since before the time you decided to leave your house.

Which [in my opinion] -might- be a little too on the leanient side, but I might be wrong.

And this is where my whole critique of "Players are having to change their habits irl around the berry system" starts. I think it's a little demanding for a video game to be wanting you to wake up early in the morning and collect digital items, alongside the rest of your morning ritual of waking up, showering, etc.

This also implies that the moment the berries are also harvestable will also coincidence with when you wake up. There will be times to where I have the thought of "Man, I can't plant these berries because even though I am available all day to make sure they stayed watered, they will either die within my sleep because I planted the berries too early in the day, or they will die because the entirety of their harvestable period coincidences when I'm working."

It's just a way too specific of a timeframe to be working under to collect certain items in the game that are being buffed to be more and more important to have .

1 hour ago, Raichu4u said:

And this is where my whole critique of "Players are having to change their habits irl around the berry system" starts. I think it's a little demanding for a video game to be wanting you to wake up early in the morning and collect digital items, alongside the rest of your morning ritual of waking up, showering, etc.

That's where we disagree, it's entire purpose is to provide time management as an aspect of gameplay - in a similar vein to farmville.

That's a video game too.

If time management is not for you, that's ok.

I don't speak for the whole development team on this subject, and I'm happy to submit to the idea of the timeframes needing altering.

But I personally don't think it's vastly unreasonable to have a mechanic that requires you to 'plan' your timing, whether it be a video game or not - such a system is actually a standard when it comes to the MMO genre.

11 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

That's where we disagree, it's entire purpose is to provide time management as an aspect of gameplay - in a similar vein to farmville.

That's a video game too.

If time management is not for you, that's ok.

I don't speak for the whole development team on this subject, and I'm happy to submit to the idea of the timeframes needing altering.

But I personally don't think it's vastly unreasonable to have a mechanic that requires you to 'plan' your timing, whether it be a video game or not - such a system is actually a standard when it comes to the MMO genre.

I definitely don't want the berry system to turn into "plant the berry always get berries back no matter how much you neglect your tree" type of a system. I do definitely agree that time management should go into planting berries and I'm happy you're putting a word in for looking into wilt and water times, but my main point is that there are definitely players that want to participate with planting berries, and could if the system was tweaked by something as simple as a 2-4 hour change for anything.

5 hours ago, Matoka said:

The system behind how berries work is intially simple but all of the combinations and how to get more seeds etc can be overwhelming to keep track of and is unrealistic to memorize more than the core set of berries you would need's combos.

I agree with this so much.

I've done a lot of berry growing, especially early on when I realised it was such good money. I feel like the problem with it is like you said, it's overwhelming to keep track of and managing your seeds is just annoying.

Say you could buy the seeds from an NPC and simply plant them then it would be much more simple. Of course, the yield would have to be reduced considerably since you'd remove the grind to get your own seeds but in terms of annoyance it would be a good move.

1 hour ago, Raichu4u said:

I definitely don't want the berry system to turn into "plant the berry always get berries back no matter how much you neglect your tree" type of a system. I do definitely agree that time management should go into planting berries and I'm happy you're putting a word in for looking into wilt and water times, but my main point is that there are definitely players that want to participate with planting berries, and could if the system was tweaked by something as simple as a 2-4 hour change for anything.

I understand, I don't think you're being unreasonable.

Also I forgot to mention:

• Wilt times are now 8 hours for all berries

Is this different to what you wanted?

I was thinking in some way to introduce a Macro for berry combinations.

For example a tool (which could be for RP or BP) which memorizes a given combination of seeds.

So  u drag it for hotkeys and u can plant berries using the setted combination and Making it easier. (Unova farms make the game looks like Happy Harvest)

Ofc you dont want this kind of tool which could leave the game too much easy right? @Darkshade

4 minutes ago, romanticmisery said:

May i ask about Sinnoh? I remember that Kyu said that jumping straight into Gen5 would make Sinnoh easier to implement, is that true?

official policy is you can ask but the answer is no etas. maybe something is different this time maybe? but i would not bet on it

4 hours ago, Darkshade said:

I'm all for such a concept, but I'd rather it all be UI based.

I'm not against making things 'easier', but I think it's important to look at why and the methodology.

Maybe an NPC that farms the berries for you when they're ready, which you can hire for 24 hours per day and only in specific locations. Kinda like breeding.

7 hours ago, Darkshade said:

I understand, I don't think you're being unreasonable.

Also I forgot to mention:

Is this different to what you wanted?

I think that at least the wilt time, not neccesarily the watering growing time, should be long enough where you going to sleep shouldn't (within reason, not including like 14 hour sleepers) lead to it wilting.

If you are generally insistent about a wilt time existing (which I fail to comprehend as it doesn't require micromanaging, it just requires you to log on.) I think it should be about 12 hours as that gives people enough time to beeping sleep without nightmares of being met with lost berry souls

Though I personally wish there wasn't a wilt timer or it was like something longer than even 12 hours, but I doubt such a large jump change would happen anyway so I mentioned 12 hours instead.

Edited by Matoka
16 hours ago, Darkshade said:

Berry growing fills a role within the game for players who still want to play but don't have the time to play for lengthy periods of time, they are still able to fund their gameplay for times when they do, by growing berries around their available time schedule and using/selling them.

I agreed with this.

Same goes for the watering and wilthering. IMO the fact that all wilther timer is 8 hours is gracious enough.

The berries always shows its flavour and that is good enough to preview before planting it. Most berries are available. on GTL.