a possibe fix to lvl cap issue

ThePrettyPetard

Question

i think the lvl cap is mostly an issue to new player starting the game since the older one that did other story before the update managed to beat the unova story for the most common reason of having enough fund to have good team/item so what if insted of making the game easier (and not help them to be prepared for the future post game content) we just remove the new lvl cap from the origin region of the player that way the new player wouldn't face the wall that is this new lvl cap right away (might also help if the new player are a bit rusty) and with that they could be able  to gather more fund that they could use for the 2 other story with the harder lvl cap. with that way the new players might be more interested in staying with us for longer while still getting prepared for future post story content.

Yeaah it could be like

1st Storylime - Old level cap

2nd Storyline - Slight harder level cap

3rd Storyline - Current level cap

Also dont forgot old players had no troubles when Hoeen came cus they could just level their starter in kanto and it ll obey anyway

16 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

no there isn't a problem obviously that's why no one ever complain about the lvl cap

Don't you get it lol? The level cap stops a poke from overlevelling. Without it, everyone would start complaining that "omg my poke went up 1 level and I can't use it:(" There is literally no problem with the newly implemented system

3 minutes ago, Suneet said:

Don't you get it lol? The level cap stops a poke from overlevelling. Without it, everyone would start complaining that "omg my poke went up 1 level and I can't use it:(" There is literally no problem with the newly implemented system

not sure if you're a troll or if you are actually that much slow to get what i am saying but this idea is to put back the old lvl cap that was much higher than the one we have now for the region you start in

12 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

not sure if you're a troll or if you are actually that much slow to get what i am saying but this idea is to put back the old lvl cap that was much higher than the one we have now for the region you start in

There really is no issue with the current cap. if theyre struggling that much find appropriate type match ups for the gyms/rivals. Makes the game 100x easier.

Edited by Otulp
1 minute ago, Otulp said:

There really is no issue with he current cap. if youre struggling that much find appropriate type match ups for the gyms/rivals. Makes the game 100x easier.

just saying this isn't a suggestion that i made to help me first i allready beated the 3 e4 it's more becaus i can see this being a wall for new player wich might just go backrupt with their first story and personally i wouldn't be much interested to stay in a game i just tarted if it kept putting me to my knee all the time from the start

10 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

just saying this isn't a suggestion that i made to help me first i allready beated the 3 e4 it's more becaus i can see this being a wall for new player wich might just go backrupt with their first story and personally i wouldn't be much interested to stay in a game i just tarted if it kept putting me to my knee all the time from the start

Yeah i understand where youre coming from. But i think this is good to teach these new players type match ups and some other competitive strategies they will need for pvp. And you dont need 5x31 mons to run through the story. Just good strat. And theyll only need to invest in a  few revives/potions for e4. But trust me i understand the worry. The pros just outweigh the cons for me.

1 minute ago, Otulp said:

Yeah i understand where youre coming from. But i think this is good to teach these new players type match ups and some other competitive strategies they will need for pvp. And you dont need 5x31 mons to run through the story. Just good strat. And theyll only need to invest in a  few revives/potions for e4. But trust me i understand the worry. The pros just outweigh the cons for me.

yeah becaus the game tell you many thing to learn like learn your shit or keep loosing since there isn't any tutorial

6 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

yeah becaus the game tell you many thing to learn like learn your shit or keep loosing since there isn't any tutorial

Well, you can kind of look at the main story as the "tutorial" for pvp. Good thing is you dont lose money when you lose a story battle. So theres no real drawback.

8 minutes ago, Otulp said:

Well, you can kind of look at the main story as the "tutorial" for pvp. Good thing is you dont lose money when you lose a story battle. So theres no real drawback.

first thing is that not everyone want to be a pvp player and for the no drawback i doubt since someone who keep loosing is going to loose a lot of fun and why would you play a game if it's not even fun anymore also don't put your expectation to high for the casual i saw more than one that didn't know how to cut a tree

Edited by ThePrettyPetard
6 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

firs thing is that not everyone want to be a pvp player and for the no drawback i doubt since someone who keep loosing is going to loose a lot of fun and why would you play a game if it's not even fun anymore also don't put your expectation to high for the casual i saw more than one that didn't know how to cut a tree

yeah ik not everyone wanted to pvp. but besides berry farming and shiny hunting thats really all there is to the game atm. and for berry farming and shiny hunting you dont need to beat the game to do it. if they just wanted to experience the story they can, it just doesnt have to be in mmo. 

Just now, Otulp said:

yeah ik not everyone wanted to pvp. but besides berry farming and shiny hunting thats really all there is to the game atm. and for berry farming and shiny hunting you dont need to beat the game to do it. if they just wanted to experience the story they can, it just doesnt have to be in mmo. 

i do none of those two things you might need to review your idea of thing there is to do post story but turning people away from pokemmo seem so common with this new update many people just tell the others to leave making our community smaller wich is a pretty stupid idea we should be more welcoming new player insted of telling them to go away

20 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

In every gym there's an NPC that tells you which type of poke the Leader uses and even tells you which type of poke is effective against it. This is in any region. I think there's also NPCs that tells you which pokes the E4 uses, if i am correct(?)

In the first gym in Unova an NPC will give you a poke to help you beat the First gym.

You don't need comp. pokes. Your starter is a 6x15 IVs poke. I wouldn't call that a comp. poke. Every poke that is given to you in the game as a gift is a 6x15(not comp.)

You can get free Items in the story that will help you boost your moves.

Edited by insertusernamehere
20 minutes ago, Otulp said:

First thing, the devs intend the main story to be a tutorial for future pve content like the legendary dungeon. Second thing, no ai can get close to what a real player can do in pvp.

I personally dont mind the level cap, but like the OP says, im an experinced player (even if i was new i would be an experienced player seeing as i played a lot of pokemon games and rom hacks) , and i can totally see the arguement that the cap is a little too hard for newer players that havent played the series to death. This is a good compromise between the devs and the people that just want it gone.

Edited by superpichu999
2 minutes ago, superpichu999 said:

First thing, the devs intend the main story to be a tutorial for future pve content like the legendary dungeon. Second thing, no ai can get close to what a real player can do in pvp.

Source on this? And ofc ai cant but that goes without saying lmao.

3 minutes ago, superpichu999 said:

I personally dont mind the level cap, but like the OP says, im an experinced player (even if i was new i would be an experienced player seeing as i played a lot of pokemon games and rom hacks) , and i can totally see the arguement that the cap is a little too hard for newer players that havent played the series to death. This is a good compromise between the devs and the people that just want it gone.

I agreed with OP that the story was challenging, but why does that mean we have to change it and remove the challenge? There are a lot of players, including myself, who enjoyed the challenge. Before it was a little too easy. We shouldnt have to change the cap just because players refuse to learn type matches and other things to help overcome some of the difficulties.

7 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

In every gym there's an NPC that tells you which type of poke the Leader uses and even tells you which type of poke is effective against it. This is in any region. I think there's also NPCs that tells you which pokes the E4 uses, if i am correct(?)

In the first gym in Unova an NPC will give you a poke to help you beat the First gym.

You don't need comp. pokes. Your starter is a 6x15 IVs poke. I wouldn't call that a comp. poke. Every poke that is given to you in the game as a gift is a 6x15(not comp.)

You can get free Items in the story that will help you boost your moves.

with those gift pokemon you will either have to pull out some impresive strat (again don't expect much from casual) or use many item wich would make it pay to win wich is just anoying

2 minutes ago, Otulp said:

I agreed with OP that the story was challenging, but why does that mean we have to change it and remove the challenge? There are a lot of players, including myself, who enjoyed the challenge. Before it was a little too easy. We shouldnt have to change the cap just because players refuse to learn type matches and other things to help overcome some of the difficulties.

the source on this is @Kyuno clue how to quote from another place so welcome aboard another convo about lvl cap kyu, but my point isn't to fully remove the challenge (you could still keep it by yourself if you wanted to anyway wich is what i did for the 3 story) it would be to be more welcoming to new player by not putting them against a wall that will just lead them to the exit right away if they don't like it

44 minutes ago, Otulp said:
51 minutes ago, superpichu999 said:

I got you, bud. Most of the devs comments on this thread.

34 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

no clue how to quote from another place

If you can find the specific comment you can click the share this post button on the top right of the comment and just post the link. Its not as nice as quoting from another page but it works.

Just now, ThePrettyPetard said:

with those gift pokemon you will either have to pull out some impresive strat (again don't expect much from casual) or use many item wich would make it pay to win wich is just anoying

I'm a casual player. Never played PVP. I already knew a few things about pokemon, like which pokes are effective against what... I understand how things can be frustrating for the new players, and the players that never played pokemon before. It will take them more time, than it was before, to understand how things work. But it is wrong to say that players need comp. pokes and super mega items to boost your moves, and EV training to beat the story. Again some items(to boost some type or moves) are free in the story some npc will give them to you or you find them in the wild... but you can use pokeyen to buy them if you like(this is not pay to win since you don't use real money)

I'm not going to say here how everyone should play the game. But you need to learn that even your favorite poke will have a weakness and won't be effective against certain types. that being said you will have to find, and catch a poke that will help you against gyms and e4s. Even before the update you had a certain level cap... which means that you couldn't use certain level pokes because you didn't have the badge for it(like in the original games)... so things are not that different. The thing is now you can't use a level 100 to beat E4 like you used to...

I feel as though a system such as this would be unlikely to achieve the goal that you're aiming for.

Instead of having them play through 1 region without a cap and then staying on to play an additional region with one, I think it would instead set them up with unrealistic expectations for the further regions/the rest of the game, and then leave them disappointed once they realize it is not as easy as they first thought - thus causing them to leave, again.

I think that the reality of the situation is that while we do try our hardest to make this game accessible to all players, we sometimes have to put certain design elements in place to help further the game that we're trying to create - which in this case is an MMO.

And that might not be to the tastes of every player.

As Kyu has stated previously (in another topic), we don't wish to create a game where players are able to constantly Earthquake their way into victory without any thought; and we definitely don't want to give the impression that this is how people should expect the game to be played.

I do however admire what this suggestion is trying to do.

9 hours ago, Darkshade said:

I feel as though a system such as this would be unlikely to achieve the goal that you're aiming for.

Instead of having them play through 1 region without a cap and then staying on to play an additional region with one, I think it would instead set them up with unrealistic expectations for the further regions/the rest of the game, and then leave them disappointed once they realize it is not as easy as they first thought - thus causing them to leave, again.

I think that the reality of the situation is that while we do try our hardest to make this game accessible to all players, we sometimes have to put certain design elements in place to help further the game that we're trying to create - which in this case is an MMO.

And that might not be to the tastes of every player.

As Kyu has stated previously (in another topic), we don't wish to create a game where players are able to constantly Earthquake their way into victory without any thought; and we definitely don't want to give the impression that this is how people should expect the game to be played.

I do however admire what this suggestion is trying to do.

my reasoning behind this idea is that it would give time to the new player to get familiar with the mmo style for pokemon and a bit more familiar with the comunity and maybe even time to see that there is teams that help people that struggle with the story (since i think many new player don't pay much attention to the chat when they start) becaus i think your less likely to quite a hard game when you allready had fun in it for a good part than a game that is just a wall of diificulty right away.

My biggest issue with this is that it would make Alt accounts more prevalent. Why go through a region with increased difficulty when you can just make a new character and do it with the same end result. A system that makes Alt accounts better than having everything on the one character is a flawed system imo

3 minutes ago, Kizhaz said:

My biggest issue with this is that it would make Alt accounts more prevalent. Why go through a region with increased difficulty when you can just make a new character and do it with the same end result. A system that makes Alt accounts better than having everything on the one character is a flawed system imo

I agree.

My 2 cents: I do like how the PvE is more difficult, however; I personally think it's a bit too difficult in some places. I, personally, think the solution could be as simple as raising the level cap by 2-3 levels for late-game badges / E4.