Question about implementation of abilities:

Matoka

This is from Kyu in an earlier thread which was locked, so i just wanted to talk about it here:
-------------------------------------
@Kyu said:

The following abilities will be available during the next update:

• Adaptability
  • Snow Warning
  • Sand Rush
  • Regenerator
  • Iron Barbs
  • Defeatist
  • Technician
  • Poison Heal
  • Magic Guard
  • Skill Link
  • Solid Rock
  • Super Luck
  • Tinted Lens
  • Download
  • Heatproof
  • Hydration
  • Iron Fist
  • Multiscale
  • No Guard
  • Quick Feet
  • Scrappy

We're currently prioritizing economic changes, so further Ability/Move implementations have been delayed to later patches. You can find the list of current Moves at https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/announcement/30-generation-5-move-progress/

-----------------------------------------------------------

Can you give any insight as to how you are prioritising which ability comes first? abilities like Defeatist make sense to be added ASAP as they help balance an arguably otherwise too-strong pokemon, Iron Barbs / Snow Warning are just variations of other abilities (Drizzle / Rough Skin etc) so they assumedly would be easy to code in.

But why is Multiscale there? I don't mean it in criticism I am just confused why it was given development time as no pokemon can even have the ability and it's an entirely new effect, I'm just curious if there's any system you use to prioritize which ability is focused on being added first or if it's mostly whim.

Also, on a side note, you said Ability / Move implementations would be delayed past the next patch for anything extra, could you say if Toxic Orb / Flame Orb will be added as working items in the same patch? (only asking cause Poison Heal was made a functional ability)

Edited by Matoka

Defeatist isnt going to be an issue, as they removed all the Archen/Archeops from the game and stopped the eggs from being obtainable.

I agree with the poison heal statement though, I hope they add flame orb/toxic orb in the same update, otherwise it kinda still makes poison heal somewhat redundant

1 minute ago, Matoka said:

Can you give any insight as to how you are prioritising which ability comes first? abilities like Defeatist make sense to be added ASAP as they help balance an arguably otherwise too-strong pokemon, Iron Barbs / Snow Warning are just variations of other abilities (Drizzle / Rough Skin etc) so they assumedly would be easy to code in.

We asked one of the TC to make a list of really important things, then we looked for really easy things, so we're just going down that list honestly

But why is Multiscale there? I don't mean it in criticism I am just confused why it was given development time as no pokemon can even have the ability and it's an entirely new effect, I'm just curious if there's any system you use to prioritize which ability is focused on being added first or if it's mostly whim.

It was easy to add. Unobtainable HAs weren't meant to be in the patch notes, it's just backend support for whenever we get HA Dnite. Same as Imposter.

Also, on a side note, you said Ability / Move implementations would be delayed past the next patch for anything extra, could you say if Toxic Orb / Flame Orb will be added as working items? (only asking cause Poison Heal was made a functional ability)

I meant that we intended to get more core support for Abilities/Moves/Items done this one, but it will be delayed until next patch due to having to work on the economic problems. There wasn't anything extra added besides the move Power Trick

4 minutes ago, Risadex said:

Multiscale is a Hidden ability only possed by Dragonite and Lugia... Idk how this can be relevant over other stuff like Sap Sipper, Reckless, Mold breaker or motor drive ATM...

Easier to implement? Maybe. Useful atm? nope.

I literally said that 2 lines below the quote, but sure dude, w/e

Multiscale Dnite is also apparently in our PvE builds so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Kyu

6 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Litteraly editted 2 secs b4 that lol 

5 minutes ago, Kyu said:

@RacheLucario Want to wreck us with this kind of stuff

Edited by Risadex
SORRY I AM DRUNK
14 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Is there any chance that similar to the list of moves you could add a list of abilities that are added, it will be more relevant when some abilities are added and others aren't.

Also can we see the list from TC? That's more so a curiousity thing I guess, and it could be a good idea of what things people should consider putting off breeding for since it wouldn't work.

I'm kinda sad Prankster won't be added for a bit longer but oh well. Thanks for responding Kyu.

Edited by Matoka
10 minutes ago, Kyu said:

what about regenerator? it's still h.a wouldn't be good to fix sheer force and no guard before that ab?

Edited by DarylDixon
Just now, Matoka said:

Is there any chance that similar to the list of moves you could add a list of abilities that are added, it will be more relevant when some abilities are added and others aren't.

yeah sure

Just now, Matoka said:

Also is there any chance we can see the list from TC? That's more so a curiousity thing I guess, and it could be a good idea of what things people should consider putting off breeding for since it wouldn't work.

I'd prefer not, for the reason you just described- I don't want to make you guys metagame around future patch notes until the abilities are actually done/tested

11 minutes ago, Kyu said:

yeah sure

I'd prefer not, for the reason you just described- I don't want to make you guys metagame around future patch notes until the abilities are actually done/tested

Are there any abilities that look like they will be a nightmare to code? I can't think of too many off the top of my head but hopefully there really aren't that many.

11 minutes ago, Matoka said:

Are there any abilities that look like they will be a nightmare to code? I can't think of too many off the top of my head but hopefully there really aren't that many.

Almost certain sheer force is one of those

Edited by Risadex
engrish çuqs
9 minutes ago, Matoka said:

Anything which has a pre-requisite in order to fully function, such as Klutz's requirement of "grounded" interactions, is tedious to do. Some abilities do super weird shit like Illusion too which requires a lot of effort.

Just now, Kyu said:

Anything which has a pre-requisite in order to fully function, such as Klutz's requirement of "grounded" interactions, is tedious to do. Some abilities do super weird shit like Illusion too which requires a lot of effort.

OHHH YEAAA Illusion.

...Have fun with that I guess ._.

@Kyu @Desu Would it be a idiotic idea to start making things like Toxic Heal Breloom etc now? Assuming it's gonna be not useable until after the new year at least or what do you guys think?

Also, is there gonna be a christmas event this year? I know you guys have enough shit on your plate as is, so could understand why if there wasnt I guess. Not sure if you guys would want to skip both xmas and halloween events though.

3 minutes ago, Parke said:

@Kyu @Desu Would it be a idiotic idea to start making things like Toxic Heal Breloom etc now? Assuming it's gonna be not useable until after the new year at least or what do you guys think?

I dunno, we'll probably go through and work on some easy gen 5 items next patch, but no promises. Up to you if you want to gamble on having value locked up in a potentially useless breed

3 minutes ago, Parke said:

Also, is there gonna be a christmas event this year? I know you guys have enough shit on your plate as is, so could understand why if there wasnt I guess. Not sure if you guys would want to skip both xmas and halloween events though.

Did you see how people reacted to having no skeleton hats for a year? I don't think we could get away with it tbh

1 minute ago, Kyu said:

I dunno, we'll probably go through and work on some easy gen 5 items next patch, but no promises. Up to you if you want to gamble on having value locked up in a potentially useless breed

Yeah that'd be awesome - I dont think it's useless per say, but yeah could be invested otherwise for now. I guess I'll just work with what I have for now, best way I guess.

1 minute ago, Kyu said:

Did you see how people reacted to having no skeleton hats for a year? I don't think we could get away with it tbh

Hahaha true, priorities I guess though - at least having the event will give you guys time to actually get to do shit in the background while people be grinding through it. Just extend it for 3 months instead of a month this time ez

34 minutes ago, Parke said:

I mean Poison Heal Breloom still tends to work like normal Breloom except he can heal through sandstorm damage and doesn't mind scald, he's far from useless without an ability unlike say Cloyster he's more on the "useable but kinda shitty" tier like Mienshao.

3 hours ago, Kyu said:

Why is AI allowed to have certain abilities/Pokemon/moves that the player doesn't even have...? I can excuse N having Zoroak, Reshiram, and Blaine having Moltres, but giving the AI these abilities that the player can't even have right now seems like... overkill?