Obtaining Hidden Abilities

It seems we've all forgotten that this is PokeMMO and not PokeBattleSim

As a competitive player, I hate the idea of dungeons mostly because I know it will take the dev team months and maybe years just to introduce one or two that work. It's also going to be a pain in the ass to go in and catch crap, breed 'em, and then move set them (fucking arm and a leg just to add moves).

Unfortunately for me though, this is a really cool way to introduce something that should rightfully be hard to obtain from an MMO standpoint. The game needs side quests that are worthwhile and this might just be it. Is it shitty that the TC gets to hand pick which hidden abilities get dropped? Certainly, but mostly because it robs us from using some broken abilities in PvE and friendlies. Everything should be introduced and if it's broke, simply ban it in competitive play. Ez Pz. 

Anyhoos, @Darkshade you do you and we'll play if we feel like it. Pretty simple.

If the game is too much of a grind then don't log on and play. Most of us 2012 and 2013 boys have been around for too long anyway. We all sound like spoiled brats tbh. 

download.jpg

Would have been cool to have had a more complete update though. This piecing things together crap is pretty annoying. Seems like every week we've got new info that something is changing or broken or whatever. 

7 minutes ago, Senile said:

You are aware that using dumb-busted HA pokemon in PvE is a large part of the reason they're not being released at all, instead of released and then banned, correct? Not using them in PvE is a large part of the reason for not adding them. Not being able to use them in PvE isn't collateral damage, it's an intentional design choice.

It's a design choice I don't really like, which is why I asked for devs to stop in the first place.

1 hour ago, LionKIng said:

what about female comps? what about genderles comps?

You can just decide just to not implement the hidden ability of a pokemon, like speed boost blaziken. Just like the ability pill it will do nothing when used on a pokemon when theres no other ability to be obtained. This is just stubborness from the developement side, I dont see a downside on a reward at the end of the dungeon vs farming a hidden abillity poke.  Its just frustating to throw pokemons out of the window, these are all wasted time on the players part. I have 9k hours on this game and I think every player with 5k+ hours are tierd of useless grind that we already have done. This is just silly tbh.....

And about the exploring dungeons....In the xmas event there was no point in exploring the dungeons and everyone still did, after 2 days everyone knew everything that had to be learned about the dungeon...This is a pvp game not a pve dungeon thingy....if anyone would play this game for the pve aspect of it the game woulda died before its launch. Not to be mean but everyone that sticks are here for the pvp aspect or something similar to it. Nobody cares about your 3rd point about giving value to dungeons. After everyone will have what they want the dungeons will die like every other pve aspect that has nothing to do with pvp like everything that was done before. Once the hype of the dungeons are gone and everyone has what they came there for it will die because you can get  and sell hidden ability pokes on gtl VS having to complete it for X number of hidden ability pills. The hidden ability pills can even become a secondary prize in events. So the later solution will make it so that dungeons will be relevant for far longer since you will need the ability pills to actually perfom in pvp vs getting them on GTL for a discounted prize after a while and just making everyone rebreed their shitt. Its far easier to catch pokes with hidden ability vs having it as a reward. Its just way less annoying to have to rebreed 1/3rd of your comps for no god damn reason thats all.

I agree with the fact that ALL Hidden abilities should be available, and I also agree that there should be some kind of pill, but I also think it should take a ton of work to get the pill, something that takes about the same amount of time it would take to rebreed the pokemon you want (note that I said nothing of the price of the method)

I however STRONGLY DISAGREE with your statement that "This is a pvp game not a pve" as I am almost exclusively PvE, and I still spend time breeding perfect pokemon.

I hate the idea of tiers in PvP. If both people consent to it in a battle, then cool, go for it, but I have ALWAYS been of the belief that you should be allowed to use ANY pokemon you want, at ANY time you want, for ANY thing you want, and not be limited by rules set in place by others. I mean what is the point of having your favorite pokemon if you can't use it for anything? Personally, I stick to mostly PvE and open battles, because in my opinion, that's more fair that limiting what people are allowed to use, just because other people don't like that you took the time to train a super strong pokemon and they didn't. Again though, that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Darkshade said:

I'm afraid you'll need to gitgud without your quick chicken.

We're aiming for balance here.

I'm going to assume you mean 'male', since females get it through this method already.

For genderless - provided the species with the hidden ability is the same as the child, it will pass.  Explain me this please. I for example own a 31/x/25/31/30/31 modest starmie, 27/x/31/31/31/31 bold pory2, lets say I want their HA, will I get a ''specie'' with the same ivs? Sorry isn't good enough to rebreed, unless you give me my dittos back cause they're not cheap for sure, and definitely not 1M dittos.

For passing it via males, we may do the same thing - i.e allowing it to pass provided the child is the same species as that of the Hidden Ability mon, although we have not reached a decision on this one yet.

I covered this above, it's an ass way of handling it - but yes, this isn't the primary reason we're not introducing a Hidden Ability pill.

Adding value to dungeons on an individual level and to 'the whole thing' rather than at the end is a huge positive for the gameplay and design of these dungeons in both renewability and reward  - it isn't 'just stubborness'.

I really like the pill idea. And being able to gather parts for it through dungeon content. Weve all invested so much time into making comps, and its kinda insane to think most of us want to put that time in again. And if youre worried about the "op" abilities just dont release the pills. But even that doesnt make any sense. If a player puts in the time to make a HA blazekin for PvE then let them have it. They would still have to put in the time and money to breed it up, so its not like a brand new player can hop into a dungeon, grind for pill parts, and get them self an OP mon right off the bat.

With any expansion changes happen. 

I know I keep doing this but I'm going to do it again hopefully for the last time.

Pokemon are like Gear in WoW, when a new expansion rolls around, even when you spent your time getting the best gear you can, you're just going to drop it for better gear you'll also gain something from it when moving from 1 piece of gear that is obsolete to a superior piece. This is what we call progression. However Pokemon are used as a base gear that you can refine into better gear when HA drops. And sometimes HAs are not even the competitive form of a pokemon which lets you keep your old comps.

3 minutes ago, Kite said:

With any expansion changes happen. 

I know I keep doing this but I'm going to do it again hopefully for the last time.

Pokemon are like Gear in WoW, when a new expansion rolls around, even when you spent your time getting the best gear you can, you're just going to drop it for better gear you'll also gain something from it when moving from 1 piece of gear that is obsolete to a superior piece. This is what we call progression. However Pokemon are used as a base gear that you can refine into better gear when HA drops. And sometimes HAs are not even the competitive form of a pokemon which lets you keep your old comps.

in the mmos ive played you can continue to refine your existing gear to meet the new meta requirements. so idk if this is the best example fren.

Just now, Otulp said:

in the mmos ive played you can continue to refine your existing gear to meet the new meta requirements. so idk if this is the best example fren.

Considering WoW is one the most well known MMO it works. 

Even in other MMOs that use a refinement system also replaces gear or lets you "fortify transfer" which leads to the same road.

9 minutes ago, Kite said:

Considering WoW is one the most well known MMO it works. 

When a WoW update hits, all your old gear becomes useless and you need the new/better stuff. The comparison with PokeMMO works to some degree, but there is a colossal difference; in WoW, if you want to play PVE, you grind by doing by PVE and if you want to play PVP, you grind by doing PVP. In PokeMMO, that is not an option at all. You have to breed and go through all the PVE grind in order to play PVP. You can play OU ladder all day and you won't get anywhere closer to having a new comp to use. PokeMMO is not a simulator indeed, grinding is necessary, but that doesn't mean the grind must be so painful.

Just now, gbwead said:

When a WoW update hits, all your old gear becomes useless and you need the new/better stuff. The comparison with PokeMMO works to some degree, but there is a colossal difference; in WoW, if you want to play PVE, you grind by doing by PVE and if you want to play PVP, you grind by doing PVP. In PokeMMO, that is not an option at all. You have to breed and go through all the PVE grind in order to play PVP. You can play OU ladder all day and you won't get anywhere closer to having a new comp to use. PokeMMO is not a simulator indeed, grinding is necessary, but that doesn't mean the grind must be so painful.

You haven't seen a painful Grind til you play Forsaken World or any Korean MMO

That being said, in WoW, only ilvl matters in PvP. The only thing you grind in PvP is for your PvP talents. That's it. You also have to do PvE to PvP at least to level 15. The comparison is there.

7 minutes ago, Kite said:

You haven't seen a painful Grind til you play Forsaken World or any Korean MMO

That being said, in WoW, only ilvl matters in PvP. The only thing you grind in PvP is for your PvP talents. That's it. You also have to do PvE to PvP at least to level 15. The comparison is there.

ive played black desert, which is one of those korean grind fest, and even in that game your old gear doesnt become obsolete. sure theres always better armor to collect as you progress, but but you can still pvp with beginner gear thats be enhanced enough. tbh most of those games dont force you to trash your old gear. 

2 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

It's a design choice I don't really like, which is why I asked for devs to stop in the first place.

It's not a policy which we're going to change unless we're proven that it's the wrong way to do things, and I don't think it is. When things which are designed to be overpowered exist, with the highest base stats, better-than-normal movepools/abilities, etc., they become the objectively best choice to handle any situation in the game, and you are crippling yourself by playing any other way.

This hurts our ability to create meaningful PvE content, because we have to design PvE around the best species, otherwise it's able to be facerolled by those overpowered species. This game does not, and probably will never, have any form of meaningful overworld "actiony" gameplay due to the limited movement systems, so we need to try to make battles as interesting as possible to keep player interest.

It also creates an even higher barrier of entry to PvP due to having to play around complex rulesets designed by fans which don't play the same way as the base game. No, "complex banning" isn't a good way to handle problems. If you have gotten to the point where you need to ban out a certain ability/move from a species in the game, you, as a game designer, have failed. There is no excuse for having to complex ban things in a digital game, because we don't have the same limitations as something like Magic: The Gathering where they can never "unprint" cards. If we want to, we can just delete it from the possible moveset, which is basically what we're doing by never releasing certain combinations.

2 hours ago, Lazaro23 said:

How about including an NPC who will buy our old useless comps for 250-500k.

Don't feel like grinding aka selling rp endlessly lol.

There is nothing meaningful in-game which denotes "competitiveness." IVs & Tierings are metrics by which NPC rewards could be measured, but I think that would rig the market in a way which wouldn't be enjoyable, so I'd prefer to handle the problem of "trash" catches not having any value instead.

10 minutes ago, gbwead said:

BP provides moves, items, and EVs to players. The only thing really missing there is an IV gain method / unlocking new species / egg moves.

Because the game puts a huge amount of emphasis on stat refinement, I'm not sure the ability to "PvP into PvP" is something which we can provide, because one of two things will happen:

• We release a "rentals" system which is good enough to where nobody has to refine anything, then players stop refining things because there are no other carrots in the game (aside from future Legendaries)
  • We release a "rentals" system which sucks enough to where players can't really compete and they just feed the first round of 128-man tournies or tank their ELO in Ranked.

Maybe something like a temporary boost to stats sourced from BP or something could work. Don't know.

--

On the topic of "grinding" new comps:

• Is the issue that the game's money systems are stingy, and that there isn't much variety in money gaining methods, or are you taking issue with the idea that new things are being released?

A lot of people seem to be mad about HAs because they'll have to make something from scratch, and while I agree that it's not fun to have your work invalidated, is the idea of a game where none of the "gear" ever changes really better? Most of the people prior to Gen 5's release seemed to agree that the game was stale, and if we're going to be stuck with Gen 5 for the next 5 years (or so), I don't think we should rush their release.

To be able to release something new every few months is, in my opinion, one of the boons of HAs, and I think staggering their releases is the best way to do it when we have a hard, finite set of content which we can release due to the limitations of B/W as a ROM requirement. I don't think that being able to upgrade existing comps to an HA is necessary if we introduce them slowly, and continue to work on making money generation less painful.

26 minutes ago, Kyu said:

BP provides moves, items, and EVs to players. The only thing really missing there is an IV gain method / unlocking new species / egg moves.

Because the game puts a huge amount of emphasis on stat refinement, I'm not sure the ability to "PvP into PvP" is something which we can provide, because one of two things will happen:

• We release a "rentals" system which is good enough to where nobody has to refine anything, then players stop refining things because there are no other carrots in the game (aside from future Legendaries)
  • We release a "rentals" system which sucks enough to where players can't really compete and they just feed the first round of 128-man tournies or tank their ELO in Ranked.

Maybe something like a temporary boost to stats sourced from BP or something could work. Don't know.

I personally don't mind a small amount of PVE. However, if I had the option to purchase breeding braces or tms with battle points instead of pokeyen, I would nearly always choose to pay with battle points since I have little interest in battling npcs, trading on the GTL or offering breeding/eving/xping services to others. If there is no way to grind for PvP without PvE, that's fine, but I think some of us would appreciate - and have appreciated in the past - any change that involves comp players not having to rely as much on PVE to enjoy the game.

43 minutes ago, Kyu said:

On the topic of "grinding" new comps:

• Is the issue that the game's money systems are stingy, and that there isn't much variety in money gaining methods, or are you taking issue with the idea that new things are being released?

I feel the recent update have been pretty brutal for new and old players seeking to enter the comp scene; npcs payouts have been nerfed and gym leaders are more difficult (even though we have more of them to fight now) while the breeding braces price remained the same and the price of tms went up. It therefore seems like more efforts are required to reach the exact same results. I have absolutely no issue with new things getting released, that's good hype. Maybe I'm the only one feeling more resourceless than ever. I could easily sell my vanities and outdated comps on the gtl for a quick fix, but new players do not have that luxury and that's why I fear few will be determined enough to enter the comp scene while old players might just get drained out of patience. 

As for the way HA are intended to be implemented, I'm not happy about it, but I guess long term it won't be a big issue. Many of us thought we didn't have to rebreed our current mons, but now we will have to, just like all the new players and that might be more fair...

16 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I personally don't mind a small amount of PVE. However, if I had the option to purchase breeding braces or tms with battle points instead of pokeyen, I would nearly always choose to pay with battle points since I have little interest in battling npcs, trading on the GTL or offering breeding/eving/xping services to others. If there is no way to grind for PvP without PvE, that's fine, but I think some of us would appreciate - and have appreciated in the past - any change that involves comp players not having to rely as much on PVE to enjoy the game.

I'm concerned about BP gain being a little too good right now, especially via Ranked, but additional consumables via BP are something we'll consider. Thanks

I feel the recent update have been pretty brutal for new and old players seeking to enter the comp scene; npcs payouts have been nerfed and gym leaders are more difficult (even though we have more of them to fight now) while the breeding braces price remained the same and the price of tms went up. It therefore seems like more efforts are required to reach the exact same results. I have absolutely no issue with new things getting released, that's good hype. Maybe I'm the only one feeling more resourceless than ever. I could easily sell my vanities and outdated comps on the gtl for a quick fix, but new players do not have that luxury and that's why I fear few will be determined enough to enter the comp scene while old players might just get drained out of patience.

Yes, I agree that it's too hard to bootstrap yourself at the moment. With regards to Gym Leaders, I think the worst flaw of them is that they go on cooldown when losing, which we'll be changing during the next update. We're also working on some additional money methods for the Unova region which should help alleviate the problems.

afzk2kF.png

Adressing @Darkshade 's points.

• By implementing Hidden Abilities this way, it allows us to release them at our own pace, rather than all at once.

This npc will only react if you have a mon that is in the evolutionary line of one of the hidden ability mons found in the dungeon, so this solution doesn't violate your policy here.

• There are some Hidden Abilities we do not want to release at all, due to them being 'too strong', being able to determine which species are available with them allows us to make sure these abilities are never released at all without needing to put a confusing and arbitrary "You can't use this item on this 'mon!" on something like an ability pill.

If a pokemon that matches the evolutionary line of a hidden ability pokemon in the cave isn't in your party this NPC can just make some random comment about the pokemon in the cave, no confusion generated whatsoever.

• Most importantly, introducing them this way adds value to dungeons as a whole, rather than just the reward/legendary at the end. Now you are encouraged to sink balls on your way to the end, explore the dungeon in full and re-enter even after you've obtained a prize. We've toyed with the idea of limited bag space within dungeons, meaning selecting enough room for balls (and resisting the urge to use them on Hidden Ability 'mon) will play a factor.

Since the NPC can be located anywhere in the dungeon, he can be placed wherever the hidden ability pokemon he talks about are found. Therefore seeking him out to upgrade a comp or shiny of yours will be a similar experience to catching the pokemon, players would be incentivied only to pay for the upgrade on their comps and shinies because of his very high price tag on upgrading to a hidden ability, which will ensure that for the majority of cases people will still decide to catch mons in the cave to access their hidden ability varients..

• To add to the above - it encourages exploration of/adds value to different dungeons; rather than just running the one you feel most comfortable with/is easiest. If you want an electric Hidden Ability species you'll need to visit an Electric-type dungeon, if you want fire then you'll need to go into the Fire-type dungeon and so on.

Because the NPC will only react to pokemon that match the evolutionary line of the mons found in the dungeon they are in, players will still be incentivized to visit every dungeon even if only to seek out each of the different NPC's to be found within so they can upgrade their comps.

So as far as I can tell this solution doesn't violate your policies in a single way and the only thing standing in the way of implementing it is hassle.

Edited by Alouu
4 minutes ago, Alouu said:

Adressing @Darkshade 's points.

• By implementing Hidden Abilities this way, it allows us to release them at our own pace, rather than all at once.

This npc will only react if you have a mon that is in the evolutionary line of one of the hidden ability mons found in the dungeon, so this solution doesn't violate your policy here.

• There are some Hidden Abilities we do not want to release at all, due to them being 'too strong', being able to determine which species are available with them allows us to make sure these abilities are never released at all without needing to put a confusing and arbitrary "You can't use this item on this 'mon!" on something like an ability pill.

If a pokemon that matches the evolutionary line of a hidden ability pokemon in the cave isn't in your party this NPC can just make some random comment about the pokemon in the cave, no confusion generated whatsoever.

• Most importantly, introducing them this way adds value to dungeons as a whole, rather than just the reward/legendary at the end. Now you are encouraged to sink balls on your way to the end, explore the dungeon in full and re-enter even after you've obtained a prize. We've toyed with the idea of limited bag space within dungeons, meaning selecting enough room for balls (and resisting the urge to use them on Hidden Ability 'mon) will play a factor.

Since the NPC can be located anywhere in the dungeon, he can be placed wherever the hidden ability pokemon he talks about are found. Therefore seeking him out to upgrade a comp or shiny of yours will be a similar experience to catching the pokemon, players would be incentivied only to pay for the upgrade on their comps and shinies because of his very high price tag on upgrading to a hidden ability, which will ensure that for the majority of cases people will still decide to catch mons in the cave to access their hidden ability varients..

• To add to the above - it encourages exploration of/adds value to different dungeons; rather than just running the one you feel most comfortable with/is easiest. If you want an electric Hidden Ability species you'll need to visit an Electric-type dungeon, if you want fire then you'll need to go into the Fire-type dungeon and so on.

Because the NPC will only react to pokemon that match the evolutionary line of the mons found in the dungeon they are in, players will still be incentivized to visit every dungeon even if only to seek out each of the different NPC's to be found within so they can upgrade their comps.

So as far as I can tell this solution doesn't violate your policies in a single way and the only thing standing in the way of implementing it is hassle.

You're kinda missing the point in that we don't necessarily want to provide a direct upgrade path for existing comps to HAs. But thanks for the effort I guess?

3 minutes ago, Kyu said:

You're kinda missing the point in that we don't necessarily want to provide a direct upgrade path for existing comps to HAs. But thanks for the effort I guess?

All of the points I addressed are reasons why you wouldn't want to provide a driect upgrade path. If I address enough of these points you will cease to have a reason why not to make a direct upgrade path and will therefore be open to suggestions from the community telling you you should do so.

Edited by Alouu
28 minutes ago, Alouu said:

All of the points I addressed are reasons why you wouldn't want to provide a driect upgrade path. If I address enough of these points you will cease to have a reason why not to make a direct upgrade path and will therefore be open to suggestions from the community telling you you should do so.

You're providing a shortcut by creating an NPC which skips the breeding process, which means the current plans and your proposal are fundamentally different. We don't want to provide a shortcut in this manner (primarily because skipping sinks in an inflationary economy is a Bad Idea™ and we don't want to devalue the work of people catching breeders), so no, we're probably not going to do your idea. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Kite said:

I'm pretty sure I tried to explain to you in a different thread, stop comparing PokeMMO and WoW. They are not the same thing. WoW has a much much larger playerbase, and can therefore afford to lose a few players. With all respect due to PokeMMO, they can't. Our playerbase is substantially smaller , and a lot of our dedicated playerbase has been here from around the start.

It is to my knowledge that you are not a comp player. This means you won't have many if at all comps which development have told you to "rebreed". This means that you will have much less to lose from a possible update which forces you to rebreed or sell your current comp.

6 minutes ago, Kyu said:

You're providing a shortcut by creating an NPC which skips the breeding process, which means the current plans and your proposal are fundamentally different. We don't want to provide a shortcut in this manner (primarily because skipping sinks in an inflationary economy is a Bad Idea™ and we don't want to devalue the work of people catching breeders), so no, we're probably not going to do your idea. Sorry.

Nobody will upgrade something that isnt already valueble using this method, it simply doesnt make sense to do so instead of catching one. This means that this upgrade route will only be used for people who own comps and shinys they want to have a HA on. The cost of breeding a comp from scratch with a HA (Assuming a 100% rate of passed down HA) will be equal to the cost of breeding a comp without a HA, therefore if you take a comp that costs X and pay $100K to upgrade it, you will be paying $100K more than if you bred a new identical comp with a HA from scratch. So its a money for time tradeoff which I hardly think you can find disagreeable in and of itself.

Edited by Alouu
11 minutes ago, Suneet said:

I'm pretty sure I tried to explain to you in a different thread, stop comparing PokeMMO and WoW. They are not the same thing. WoW has a much much larger playerbase, and can therefore afford to lose a few players. With all respect due to PokeMMO, they can't. Our playerbase is substantially smaller , and a lot of our dedicated playerbase has been here from around the start.

It is to my knowledge that you are not a comp player. This means you won't have many if at all comps which development have told you to "rebreed". This means that you will have much less to lose from a possible update which forces you to rebreed or sell your current comp.

Population isn't an argument against the comparison as the comparison isn't comparing population. Also you can't make the assumption that I'm not a comp player without proof. You will breed and you will like it. 

Edited by Kite
16 minutes ago, Alouu said:

Nobody will upgrade something that isnt already valueble using this method, it simply doesnt make sense to do so instead of catching one. This means that this upgrade route will only be used for people who own comps and shinys they want to have a HA on.

I misread the original post and thought this was meant to be the only way to obtain an HA or something. But this is a really convoluted method of creating a "Hidden Ability Pill", and I don't want to do that.

16 minutes ago, Alouu said:

The cost of breeding a comp from scratch with a HA (Assuming a 100% rate of passed down HA) will be equal to the cost of breeding a comp without a HA, therefore if you take a comp that costs X and pay $100K to upgrade it, you will be paying $100K more than if you bred a new identical comp with a HA from scratch. So its a money for time tradeoff which I hardly think you can find disagreeable in and of itself.

Static money sinks aren't an accurate representation of value when:

1. Players decide the pricing of the breeding system's results (i.e. no NPCs define the price of a "comp", so it is worth what the market decides).
  2. The value of money differs depending on the amount of money the world creates. If I went and implemented this suggestion from an hour ago, your 100k is now worth less, because more money is generated in the world.

If I wanted to create an HA pill, I'd do it in a manner where it requires certain objects from within the Dungeon to function as crafting materials, because I want this function to be exclusive to Dungeons.

8 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

Stop with this shit pls

cause you're Sooooo eager to get Speed Boost Blaziken which then immediately gets banned to Ubers
And since Pokemmo doesn't use Complex Bans all blazikens will be banned to ubers

Honestly it makes sense, there are some BS hidden abilities.