"Lucky Loser" clause for finding items

semjon

Question

As pokemmo is a very grindy and unrewarding game - farming items is a pain - I'd like to see a "rewarding system" that provides you to find an item for 100% after at least X encounters who could drop this item.

Since some players are very lucky in finding certain items/everstones while others don't find any in 2 complete sessions.

That would help alot imo, especially players (like me) who don't have the time (work and family, u know), to farm dozens of hours for a certain item. 

Even a limitation to thieve/covet would help (and also prevent an abuse by using payday/pickup in decent areas).

I feel free to quote Munya at this point to help understand, what I'd like to see.

12 minutes ago, Munya said:

1-99 Encounters with no drop

100th encounter 1 guaranteed drop

101-199 encounters with no drop

200th encounter 1 guaranteed drop

201-299th encounters with no drop

300th encountered guaranteed drop

Any drop between those hundred would reset the counter, so say the player got a drop at encounter 50, he would then have to go to encounter 149 before getting another guaranteed drop at 150. 

Edited by semjon

10 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

So for example, you are grinding Everstones and after say 2,000 encounters you want there to be a 100% drop rate for them?

I think he means one time 100% so after 2,000 encounters you have 100% for the 2,001st and back to normal on 2,002nd

6 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

So for example, you are grinding Everstones and after say 2,000 encounters you want there to be a 100% drop rate for them?

Exactly -.- quoted the wrong post x) 

I think he means one time 100% so after 2,000 encounters you have 100% for the 2,001st and back to normal on 2,002nd

Edited by semjon
quoted the wrong post
41 minutes ago, semjon said:

Exactly

So you mean, that lets say, you do 4000 encounters, after 2000, you'll get 2000 everstones? Cause that's ridiculous to say the least, pretty game breaking '-'

But if you mean the 2001th will be a everstone, then the counter resets like Toupi said, that would actually be great (ofc not at 2000, 2000 is already impossible to go without finding one I believe, not impossible, but the chance of this happening is ridiculously close to 0)

21 minutes ago, redspawn said:

So you mean, that lets say, you do 4000 encounters, after 2000, you'll get 2000 everstones? Cause that's ridiculous to say the least, pretty game breaking '-'

But if you mean the 2001th will be a everstone, then the counter resets like Toupi said, that would actually be great (ofc not at 2000, 2000 is already impossible to go without finding one I believe, not impossible, but the chance of this happening is ridiculously close to 0)

As u said - after X misses, the X+1 encounter will guarantee an item drop.

Edited by semjon
24 minutes ago, redspawn said:

The only way that would happen is if it had a 100% rate for all 2000 of those encounters, hes suggesting if say something like this happens, you get 1 everstone for sure on the next encounter.

Any drop between those hundred would reset the counter, so say the player got a drop at encounter 50, he would then have to go to encounter 149 before getting another guaranteed drop at 150.  These are all made up numbers, these are not exact numbers he is suggesting just a representation of the idea.

6 minutes ago, Munya said:

Any drop between those hundred would reset the counter, so say the player got a drop at encounter 50, he would then have to go to encounter 149 before getting another guaranteed drop at 150.  These are all made up numbers, these are not exact numbers he is suggesting just a representation of the idea.

This is exactly what i meant to say. Thanks for figuring out, what I wasn't able to say ._.

3 hours ago, Munya said:

The only way that would happen is if it had a 100% rate for all 2000 of those encounters, hes suggesting if say something like this happens, you get 1 everstone for sure on the next encounter.

That is, if the next encounter will be a geodude, since there is no guarantee to that, kinda makes it pointless. Unless, we're talking about the game counting encounters per pokemon and not each encounter.

This is called Bad-Luck protection in a lot of other games, for things that are quite rare they usually track how many chances you had to get an item and if you are unlucky about getting the item, e.g. it's a 1 in 10 chance and you haven't seen one in 20 attempts then it views you as unlucky and starts to make the drop chance higher, e.g. 2 in 10 chance, then 3 in 10 if you continue to not get the item.

If you then get the item it resets the counter and goes back to the original chance, e.g. the 1/10 chance.

Pros and cons from what I know about the topic

Pro: Helps people get an item they are grinding for without losing their sanity if they are unlucky on that day

Con: Objectively makes more items drop than would otherwise, can devalue certain items.
Con: How will the in-game tracker work for held-items on pokemon, e.g. does it count "caught" pokemon in the counter or pokemon that you see? does it reset if you see a chansey in safari zone holding a lucky egg but you fail to catch and it and therefore never know if it had the item?

It makes way more sense for loot drops but in pokemmo it's a tad different as you can get the loot drop but not catch / thief the pokemon so if this was to be added I dunno how it'd handle that.