Just wondering how badly I screwed myself.

Alouu

So I have these four bad boys, which I bred, natured, EV trained, PP maxed their moves and leveled up to 100, laboring under the impression that when their hidden abilities were released I would be able to upgrade them perhaps with the existing ability pill or perhaps by someother more expensive method. Whoops! Apparantly not!

rE1DiFo.png

Considering that the IV's and nature of each of these is where I want them already,  there would be no benefit to breeding them into a hidden ability partner just to get the hidden ability when I could breed a hidden ability version from scratch, therefore is my only option to pawn these poor sods off on the GTL and then rebreed and train a replacement for each of them?

I admit it was on me to assume something I shouldn't have, but the time reinvestment here is phenomenal and I doubt I'd be up to it a second time around.

You could always keep them as breeders. Having these mean you'll already be halfway done when you need to go again! Plus, they're all male, so it works out fine. Alternatively, you could probably sell them for a hefty sum now and then use that cash to start all over again at a later time. But it's not like this work is totally wasted either way.

Pretty sure you'd want a hidden power on Alakazam, Typhlosion and Blastoise.

If you want to play competitively, you should rebreed them anyway, so use that opportunity and give them hidden abilities as well once they get implemented.

Regarding feedback so far:

23 minutes ago, Lazaro23 said:

Pretty sure you'd want a hidden power on Alakazam, Typhlosion and Blastoise.

On Typhlosion, you may be correct. I have other sets I prefer on the other two, PM me if you wanna go OT about it.

42 minutes ago, ihzi said:

You could always keep them as breeders. Having these mean you'll already be halfway done when you need to go again!

Regarding breeding them over, It amounts to losing them as far as I can tell? If I have a 5x31 without a nature, then I take a 1x31 natured female with the HA and make a "ladder" for it to climb then it will eventually become a natured 4x31 with a HA. Breeding that with the non-natured, non-HA 5x31 results in the final 5x31 natured HA, meaning that if I used these natured 5x31's it would be (massively) wasteful.

22 minutes ago, Suneet said:

I'd recommend selling them now

I was afraid that would be the prevailing advice, I'll wait until it's certain there's no upgrade route then do so I guess.

Edited by Alouu

Depending on how hidden ability works.

If you get a HA female, you can rebreed a 5x31 non-natured with these males.

Can breed even a 4x31 or 3x31 with them (i think) if you wanna be risky and still pass all the 31s. Either way, i'd everstone the male to pass the nature.

tldr, use these males for the 'final' breed. make a good female first by fusing a bunch of 1x31 and 2x31s. don't start with the 5x31 for a headstart

1 hour ago, Eggplant said:

Depending on how hidden ability works.

If you get a HA female, you can rebreed a 5x31 non-natured with these males.

Can breed even a 4x31 or 3x31 with them (i think) if you wanna be risky and still pass all the 31s. Either way, i'd everstone the male to pass the nature.

tldr, use these males for the 'final' breed. make a good female first by fusing a bunch of 1x31 and 2x31s. don't start with the 5x31 for a headstart

Your method costs more than building a Natured, Hidden ability 5x31 from scratch.

I made a couple charts in paint to show what I mean, this is the default way that It would be done, the ability adds no cost (aside from messing with the gender forcing costs) because it requires no item to transfer it, assuming it has 100% transfer rate from the mother (if not god help us all) so it costs the same to make a Hidden Ability Natured 5x31 as a normal Natured 5x31.

This is what you suggested I do (I think), although it would only take a 4x31 Non-natured HA to get guaranteed results not a 5x31, even so it would cost $200,000 more using your suggestion than to build one from scratch, and that doesnt even account for lost time EV training, lost money PP Maxing, etc.

Edited by Alouu

Personally, I'd keep these as they are, especially because they are level 100s.

PvE is only getting more important with things like Elite Four, Gym rebattling, VS Seeker rebattling, Battle Frontier and the possibility of dungeons in the future. These nifty level 100s would be a real help.

I don't know if you bred them to use in comp play, but for PvE they are absolutely fine so no worries at all.

Muk & Blastoise are painfully mediocre at best, unviable in even NU at worst. Aside from their viability, their Hidden Abilities aren't even that great; Poison Touch is pretty decent on Muk, but Sticky Hold is a pretty decent ability on it's own, and has it's own usage, so it's not like Sticky Hold Muk is significantly less viable than a set running Poison Touch.

Torrent >>>> Rain Dish on Blastoise basically 99% of the time anyway, since the only place you can run auto-Drizzlers is OU, and Blastoise has basically negative viability there. Torrent isn't amazing, but a stronger Scald at low HP is better than extra Leftovers that never activates. Even if Rain Dish has a use, it's marginal at best, nonexistent at worst.

Typhlosion wants a Hidden Power anyway as others have mentioned, but it's not like Blaze Typhlosion is worthless; It's generally worse than Flash Fire, yeah, but it's not like Typh is completely unviable without FF in NU. If anything the lack of HP is a bigger deal than the missing hidden ability.

Alakazam, same thing; Still highly viable in UU, so it's not like you can't use it, it's just that it'll become worthless the second it's Hidden Ability comes out and it shoots up to OU.

tl;dr: it really isn't that bad