New Leveling cap system has ruined the whole mmo for me

1 hour ago, anheroin said:

How do you even learn to play the game when you play with a busted advantage? How is that going to prepare you for pvp exactly? 

Cause i've played PokeMMO and the normal games 100's of times over already. I just skip the story so I can get to breeding/competitive play where I get most of my enjoyment. This system makes you train multiple Pokémon cause you can't just wing it with 1 anymore, and that's not bad cause it fixes a problem in an 100% online game that the normal games don't have. All I'm saying is for me, personally, this system sucks the way it has been implemented right now. I've played the B/W, R/S/E etc. stories enough times throughout my life to know what happens by now, I just want to get into the new region with a bunch of friends, we get to the ending so we can help eachother breed the newly added Pokémon and we start fighting in Pvp. Now I have to spend time training a team to at least level 50-ish for the 8th badge in Emerald etc. just to throw that team away again when I'm going to breed proper pokemon for my Pvp team after the e4. Just personal preference.

Edited by Liyern

Was there ever a good system? srs here me out;

B.c it seems like to me no matter what the developers do someone always has a problem w/ something lol 

idk why anyone would even make a thread like this, if it ruins it for you just stop playing no one cares, especially the staff tons of ppl exactly like you will take your place in a months time.

It is like complaining about Harvey Weinstein rubbin' one out on your face, when you could have just left hours ago & avoided the whole mess b.c some other sloot will just do it instead & save you the trouble lol 

This system sucks and implementing it just now, after all these years, was just an stupid idea. If things were like this from the start, or from really long time ago, it would be another thing.

I didn't got any problems with it myself, but I can understand the ppl complaining about.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

This system sucks and implementing it just now, after all these years, was just an stupid idea. If things were like this from the start, or from really long time ago, it would be another thing.

By this logic we would never be able to improve or change anything. I don't think you want to go back to the dark days of egg flags and slot grinding.

32 minutes ago, Desu said:

By this logic we would never be able to improve or change anything. I don't think you want to go back to the dark days of egg flags and slot grinding.

Except that this lvl cap system just unnecessarily caused problems for a lot of players, just for a bit more "challenge" that nobody cares and nobody asked for.

If it's not broken, don't fix it. If anything, you guys could just made the gym leaders stronger instead of outright turning any higher lvl storyline pokemon into

a useless piece of shit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound ungrateful, I can't express with words how amazing it is all the work you guys are doing with this game, really, but

the lvl cap thing was just a bad idea imo (maybe the only bad one that I have seem since I started here).

Edited by Maelstrom
2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Except that this lvl cap system just unnecessarily caused problems for a lot of players, just for a bit more "challenge" that nobody cares and nobody asked for.

If it's not broken, don't fix it. If anything, you guys could just made the gym leaders stronger instead of outright turning any higher lvl storyline pokemon into

a useless piece of shit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound ungrateful, I can't express with words how amazing it is all the work you guys are doing with this game, really, but

the lvl cap thing was just a bad idea imo (maybe the only bad one that I have seem since I started here).

The important battles were made stronger though. But no amount of strength can make a battle tough if you're 10+ levels over them

17 hours ago, Liyern said:

Cause i've played PokeMMO and the normal games 100's of times over already. I just skip the story so I can get to breeding/competitive play where I get most of my enjoyment. This system makes you train multiple Pokémon cause you can't just wing it with 1 anymore, and that's not bad cause it fixes a problem in an 100% online game that the normal games don't have. All I'm saying is for me, personally, this system sucks the way it has been implemented right now. I've played the B/W, R/S/E etc. stories enough times throughout my life to know what happens by now, I just want to get into the new region with a bunch of friends, we get to the ending so we can help eachother breed the newly added Pokémon and we start fighting in Pvp. Now I have to spend time training a team to at least level 50-ish for the 8th badge in Emerald etc. just to throw that team away again when I'm going to breed proper pokemon for my Pvp team after the e4. Just personal preference.

And you think you'll do fine in comp while u can't even finish the storyline?

9 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

It was broken though - we weren't retaining enough players for the long haul - people would do storyline, dip their toes into PVP and get destroyed with their crappy lvl 100 charizard with 4 fire moves, then leave. To fix this, the storyline now attempts to somewhat groom people for the enormous challenges of competitive play. If you can brave the level cap and figure out a way past the buffed e4, then you're absolutely capable of joining the competitive community and its an easier transition. I think it's too early to tell if it's working or not

6 hours ago, Malorne said:

And you think you'll do fine in comp while u can't even finish the storyline? might as well change your name to "Fodder"

Where do you get the idea that I haven't played comp yet. I've said I re-played the game multiple times with my friends already to get the latest Pokémon they've added for the very reason to play comp with the latest Pokémon they added. Not sure why'd you want to immediately insult me instead of coming with something constructive. I'm done talking here now though, this is already going OT.

1 hour ago, Liyern said:

Where do you get the idea that I haven't played comp yet. I've said I re-played the game multiple times with my friends already to get the latest Pokémon they've added for the very reason to play comp with the latest Pokémon they added. Not sure why'd you want to immediately insult me instead of coming with something constructive. I'm done talking here now though, this is already going OT.

Why would you do the play through again anyway aside from playing alongside a buddy, where you'd both be playing the exact same game with the exact same rules with eachother? And if you wanted to breeze through it, couldn't you just play on your Gameboy? I don't understand your point of view in a genuine way.

Now I think the leveling cap is so stupid for the elite four think of it 

yes it might be challenging but how is it fair that the elite four has higher level Pokemon than you do, its stupid

i think after you beat the final gym your level cap should be lvl 100, why 62

this means we are gonna struggle with the elite four and that pisses me off, i'm the type of person who like training to be able to complete the game with ease and move on to

the next region. Now I'm not saying it is impossible but I'm saying why be lvl 62 for the  ELITE FOUR they are known to be the strongest people in the region so why cant we train Pokemon over 62 its just dumb.

I do like having a challenge but this is just ridiculous.

I agree that this has ruined the whole mmo

9 hours ago, TYCH4K said:

Now I think the leveling cap is so stupid for the elite four think of it 

yes it might be challenging but how is it fair that the elite four has higher level Pokemon than you do, its stupid

i think after you beat the final gym your level why be lvl 62 for the  ELITE FOUR they are known to be the strongest people in the region so why cant we train Pokemon over 62 its just dumb.

So you don't trample strongest people in the region with derpy charozord on lv 100 without using your brain at all. If even your 5years old sister is able to beat them without second thought then there is missing something you call a challenge.

Thing is, it was broken.

Imagine lvling up your starter and some pseudo legend into lvl that can dance around gyms and e4.  Then you try pvp and got wrecked by any experienced Player.

Then u go to try event, and you're defeated again. 

This huge gap between storyline and endgame is not really good for us, especially when we might get dungeons with legends.

Personally I really like this, made me enjoy storyline for first time in ages, actually trying to lvl some good pokemons. now we even have option to heal our pokes between battles in storyline. 

Is it hard to start? Yes.  Should  devs Change it? No, I dont think so.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:04 AM, TheRioter said:

This MMO was one of me and my friend's favorite games to play together but recently rejoining after the update I've had my whole team locked away behind a level cap and I've spent half my money trying to get my cap high enough only to realize I'm nowhere close. My whole team, I spent hours on its gone until I beat the elite four and then I won't get to use them anywhere else anyway. I understand the purpose behind the feature but I can't play with it like this I will go broke before I reach the end of the game buying new Pokemon at my level, or attempting to battle with weaker ones to retrain a new team I don't even care about. I can understand some will say that I should just get tough about it and just start training a new team on this account but I don't really see the point if I'm hating playing because of it. I really hope this can be fixed because I don't plan on playing anymore unless something changes. I'd like a discussion on the topic here though, and I'm curious what everyone will say. 

honestly it's not a big deal. if you're lazy and keep your pokes around 50 ish, and cap some pokes it shouldn't be a real problem. otherwise it would be too easy.

• 6 months later...

So I'm sorry but I have to give the thread creator unfortunately right. This level cap destroys the game a bit. Every player should decide for himself how he or she wants to play. There are enough other things in the game that are not beautiful. I only name the fact that the parents disappear. I think the levelcap really does not have to be.

translated with google translator from german.

Edited by XiNaru
25 minutes ago, XiNaru said:

So I'm sorry but I have to give the thread creator unfortunately right. This level cap destroys the game a bit. Every player should decide for himself how he or she wants to play. There are enough other things in the game that are not beautiful. I only name the fact that the parents disappear. I think the levelcap really does not have to be.

translated with google translator from german.

The mechanics used in PokeMMO with levelcaps and the mode without a free switch when you faint a pokemon of the opposing team both balance the fights.
You as a player may now less likely win due to a higher level or beneficial free switches (alone).

This is intended. During your playthrough, you are now more and more pushed to use strategic moves/good teambuilding/... to win fights.
Hereby, by the end of the story you are supposed to have somehow aquired the ability to prevail in these kind of battles to be prepared for the endgame PvE and PvP as those require the same abilites.

The means by which you are ultimately successful could be broad: Getting good wild catches/comps even, using movesets that work for you, finding people ingame/a team that helps you, trying over and over again, ...
The important part is, that whatever skill/support you gained during the story to beat it will help you afterwards as well and thus make it more likely that you continue to play the game.

From a developers point of view: If you lack the 'commitment' to finish the more challenging main story now and quit the game because of it, you were likely one of the players that would've quit the game right after the story as well.
There is no reason to keep you in the game via an easier story if you are lost eventually. 

//

Die niedrigere Levelgrenze und fehlende Mechaniken wie z.B. der Modus bei dem du nach jedem besiegten Pokemon einfach dein eigenes Pokemon wechseln kannst sind deaktiviert, um dich zu fordern. Auf die Weise sollst du während des Spiels lernen mehr Strategie anzuwenden und am Ende nicht nur dadurch gewinnen, dass du ein deutlich höheres Level hast.

Der Grund dafür ist, dass die Inhalte nach den Stories - zum Beispiel PvP oder auch das Engame PvE - sehr viel anspruchsvoller sind. Du sollst nicht erst dann überrascht sein wie schwer alles auf einmal ist sondern durch das Spiel darauf vorbereitet sein.
Es gibt immernoch eine ganze Reihe von Möglichkeiten aus denen du als Spieler frei wählen kannst wie du Kämpfe gewinnst - gute Wildfänge nutzen/die sogar ein wenig gezielt trainieren/gute Attackenkombinationen/andere Spieler oder ein Team finden die weiterhelfen...
Jede Methode die du dir aneignest hilft dir nach der Story dann auch.

Für die Entwickler macht es halt keinen Sinn, die Story leichter zu machen um dich in der Zeit auf jeden Fall zu behalten wenn du dann direkt nach der Story dennoch das Spiel dauerhaft verlässt weil du dann (unvorbereitet) an einen Punkt kommst an dem es noch schwerer wird.

34 minutes ago, XiNaru said:

This level cap destroys the game a bit. Every player should decide for himself how he or she wants to play.

And you still can. You can go PvP with team of Magikarps and you can play through story with just one pokemon. Just dont expect to win much. Gym Trainers and Elite Four are good/best trainers after all. Challenging them with just one pokemon is bit uguuy*

Edited by Toupi
*c-ocky is legit word >:|

I Started playing this because i got atracted by the concept of being able to play with other ppl, trade, make New friends, etc in the past i never fully played any of the pokemon games, in fact i dislike the cartoon. This lvl cap thing Just sucks, it makes the game so Hard, I remember playing emerald on my Phone few years ago without any knowledge about the game and while grindy it was fine. But i have been playing for 3 days Currently and every gym gets worse, trainers switch mons every time im going to use a super efective move, on them, if thats not enough to make the game Harder conveniently most pokemon in the gyms are faster than mine, so they almost every time hit first. 

I dont want the game to "teach me" how to play by having better moves and Stats than i have, or knowing when im going to use a super efective move on it. This "let the game prepare u for the horrors of pvp" is not user friendly for the New player, the game, i mean the pokemon game is already grindy and this makes the game even more grindy. Having to constantly spend hours to train one or two mons to Beat the uber mon a gym leader has, Just to trash them later. Because they are not so usefull in the next gym, magma or aqua villain is Just giving me a lot of frustration instead of joy or satisfaction. 

Less animations, and quicker battles or a 2x speed during the different stages of the game, would be also an improvement, I know that nobody cares but, in this thread some1 said, that the game is designed the way it is because they want the players to be challenged, so only real players stay, I guess im not a real player because i guess ill keep playing this thing one or two days more in hopes that this endless grind is not during all the game. But honestly the slow battles and the constant need to grind are turning me off about this 

1 hour ago, Wickedsham said:

This lvl cap thing Just sucks, it makes the game so Hard, I remember playing emerald on my Phone few years ago without any knowledge about the game and while grindy it was fine. But i have been playing for 3 days Currently and every gym gets worse, trainers switch mons every time im going to use a super effective move, on them, if thats not enough to make the game Harder conveniently most pokemon in the gyms are faster than mine, so they almost every time hit first. 

That's the point. In PokeMMO we don't want players to steamroll the gyms with one lvl100 Pokemon and making this game just a button mashing simulator, which in the vanilla games you're referring to can be done very easily.

The difficulty will increase as you progress but if you find that almost all the NPC Pokemon are able to outspeed you then you should consider leveling them up to the Max obedience or using faster Pokemon.

I dont want the game to "teach me" how to play by having better moves and Stats than i have, or knowing when im going to use a super efective move on it. This "let the game prepare u for the horrors of pvp" is not user friendly for the New player, the game, i mean the pokemon game is already grindy and this makes the game even more grindy.

Its more to prevent steamrolling in story line than to prepare new players for PvP.

to constantly spend hours to train one or two mons to Beat the uber mon a gym leader has

All their Pokemon are canon with canon stats but better movepools.

Just to trash them later. Because they are not so usefull in the next gym, magma or aqua villain is Just giving me a lot of frustration instead of joy or satisfaction.  

There are many Pokemon that can help you with almost all the Gyms and Elite 4 (like Conkeldurr in Unova) but its up to you what you choose for your journey.

Less animations, and quicker battles or a 2x speed during the different stages of the game, would be also an improvement

If you have any suggestions , use suggestion box for them or old suggestions and put your views in them.

2 hours ago, Wickedsham said:

the constant need to grind are turning me off about this 

If you dislike grinding, you'll most likely dislike any MMO that you play. Especially here considering once you finish the storyline you'll be spending most of your time grinding money. 

18 hours ago, ImFunk said:

If you dislike grinding, you'll most likely dislike any MMO that you play. Especially here considering once you finish the storyline you'll be spending most of your time grinding money. 

I dont have problems grinding at certain circumstances and if its something that Ill be using long term, ie a team to farm in the game, or for pvp purposses, I posted another thread, asking for advice and some ppl have told me get this and this mon (mons that i havent actually seen throug my playthrough and only viable thru the gtl) thats what discourages me to keep playing, because im pretty sure that if i buy the mons (which means grinding for money) then ill have to grind to train them, Just to probably trash them at some point later just to adjust to the New gym leader, villain etc. So again switch one or two mons and repeat the Same process buy something, train it and then trash it later. And then comes the grind to Beat the e4 and then the final grind, to breed and get good mons to finally play the game, (i dont have any problem with this last one, and in fact i think here is where the real fun begins) But i think at this point the story Mode is obsolete it doesnt offer anything New, its the same story than in the original games. So why make it harder for the player, to reach the point where the grinding actually produces satisfaction and real results, throug forcing him to grind from the very begining Just to get the 8 badges and Beat the e4. 

Many years ago i used to play diablo 2, when I started playing of course like many ppl i went to the whole story making each quest on every act. Of course at some point and because of the  characteristics of the game every time i wanted to try a New build, I just rushed a New character, it was possible to Beat the game of course with the help of a fríend being a low lvl weakling through the 3 difficulty levels and it was nice. And more optimal because going alone through the entire game trying to skill correctly a character was a nightmare. Later blizzard introduced a lvl cap through the 3 different difficuties and the truth is that the only thing the did was making harder the creation of  New character because something that was possible i dont know in one hour maybe (just getting rushed through the whole game in the 3 dif levels) became something of a whole afternoon, it didnt aported nothing to the game. So I think here is the Same with this cap levels, in fact i think the are actually made to prevent the player from abusing the game and making tons of money from tms, and other stuff that can be get through the story. And That's fine, I agree with that way of thinking, but the truth is that the way this measures where implemented is not user friendly for the first time player