An urgent issue which has gone unaddressed for far too long!

ZoroarkH

Question

Hello people of pokemmo, thank you for reading. First I would like to present you with a scenario. Imagine you are playing pokemmo for the first time, you've just completed the story and you've never played pokemon competitively before. Thanks to the social aspect of pokemmo you begin to take an interest in pokemon's competitve side so you open the matchmaking tab to see some info. You open the clauses section, only to be greeted by this:

hxfYN8d.png

You think to yourself, "WHAT!?" this can't possibly be true. "you may only sleep one of your opponents..." "only sleep one". Sleep isn't a verb. sleep is not a verb. Shocked by the servers lack of grammar the new player feels disgruntled he decides "this competitive scene cannot possibly be for me, whom-st ever wrote this is boorish". And so the player never gets involved in competitive battling, one of the main post game features of pokemmo. As a result the player slowly gets tired of pokemmo and quits.

Please, fix this grammar error. I fear we have already lost so many potential friends to this and if it is not fixed we may lose more. If it is written this way due to a character limit, fear not I have your solute."you may only sleep one of your opponent's pokémon at a time." has 60 characters in total.I propose an alternate sentence "only one of your opponent's pokemon may sleep at a time."this takes up only 56 characters.

NOT only does it solve the character limit problem, it also goes under it, reducing the amount of memory pokemmo takes up. Imagine being unable to download pokemmo for the first time because your drive was a few bytes to full and just going "meh it probably wasn't that good anyway" ,not knowing the whole world you missed out on. By reducing the memory it takes up we can have all the more potential players.

What disadvantages would there be you ask? Well good question, no plan is flaw proof. There is always the posibility that when we improve the grammar of this tab some players will feel alienated. They will feel that pokemmo is no longer the warm casual platform that once welcomed it and has now become cold, callous and formal.

Okay, so to summarise my suggestion I would like to encourage new players to join pokemmo's competitive scene by fixing a grammar error. Not only will this drastically increase the long term playerbase but it can also reduce the amount of memory pokemmo takes up at the same time, increasing the longterm playerbase even further. 

14 answers to this question

Sleep

Verb

"provide (a specified number of people) with beds, rooms, or places to stay the night."
"studios sleeping two people cost $70 a night"

Sorry sir, this match only sleeps 1 pokemon at a time. 

Spoiler

Point being, yes, sleep can be used as a verb, and that's just generally how most pokemon communities refer to imposing the status ailment of sleep onto another pokemon. 

Although I recognise this is basically an elaborate shitpost, I'd like to point out that the phrase you proposed doesn't actually convey what sleep clause is. The clause should represent that you can only put one of your opponent's mons to sleep forcibly at a time. The way you have it suggests that if one of your opponent's mons is resting (using the move Rest), you wouldn't be able to put another of theirs to sleep, which is false. 

1 minute ago, ihzi said:

Although I recognise this is basically an elaborate shitpost, I'd like to point out that the phrase you proposed doesn't actually convey what sleep clause is. The clause should represent that you can only put one of your opponent's mons to sleep forcibly at a time. The way you have it suggests that if one of your opponent's mons is resting (using the move Rest), you wouldn't be able to put another of theirs to sleep, which is false. 

You may only put one of your opponent's 'mon to sleep at a time.

Would be the correct phrasing, I think.