Jump to content

PokeMMO Generation 5 OU Competitive guide [Discontinued]


OrangeManiac

Recommended Posts

I'm a great believer of learning by doing. That is why I was just hoping for a starting point, a proven team build that works, something balanced just to jump in and try my hand at comp battling. And then as i get more experience, I will understand each pokemon's role in the team and come up with my own modifications based on preference, type of teams I am facing, problems i ran into, etc.

Since you state there are many different play styles, why not post a typical team build for each one of those and let the player pick and choose?

Ex. Hyper offensive team 

Defensive team

Weather team 

Status team

Gimmick team ? 

Not even sure some of those are actual teams, this is just what i got from reading the forums

 

Anyways, just providing a starting point of which pokemon to throw together would be very helpful to us newbies.

I'm coming from a sweep the entire storyline with one poke background, so seeing how these hundreds of pokemon interact and narrowing it down to 6, with moves and ev spreads and items and natures and making sure weaknesses are covered, typing, etc. well it's a bit much for someone that just wants to play and be relatively functional in a battle from the start.

 

As for my team, here it is, suggestions welcome! I can swap out any and all pokemon

Spoiler

 

Blissey

Calm Mind

 

Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 SP. Def

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Serene Grace

 

Calm Mind

Softboiled

Ice Beam

Psychic

 

Aerodactyl

Choice Band

Item: Choice Band

Nature: Jolly

Ability: Rock Head

EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed

 

Double-Edge

Rock Slide

Earthquake

Crunch 

 

Skarmory 

Hazard Setter

 

Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP 252 Defense

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

 

Stealth Rock Drill Peck

Spikes

Roost rest

Whirlwind

can't learn stealth rock and roost yet since i don't have access to unova tutors yet

 

Starmie

Life Orb Sweeper

 

Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed 252 Sp. Atk

Item: Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure

 

Surf

Psyshock Psychic --> I assume i'd better change Psychic for psyshock for wall breaking

Thunderbolt

Ice Beam --> Should I go Rapid Spin?

 

Volcarona

Special Sweeper

 

Nature: TImid

EVs: 252 Speed 252 Sp. Atk

Item: Leftovers

 

Quiver Dance

Bug Buzz

Fiery Dance

Giga Drain

 

Tyranitar

Nature: Jolly

EVs: 252 Speed 252 Attack

Item: Choice Scarf

 

Rock Slide

Crunch

Pursuit earthquake

Superpower

 

Link to post
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to OU competetive guide. In this thread the most common movesets for OU Pokemon will be listed to help new players to get a gist of the metagame. Any comments, opinions etc. are welcome.

Dugtrio BST: 425 (35/100/50/50/70/120)   - Dugtrio is the ultimate support Pokemon you want to use if there ever is some Pokemon Dugtrio can trap that causes your team some problems. Na

Mienshao BST: 510 (65/125/60/95/60/105)   - Mienshao is quite an interesting case of a glass cannon Pokemon with an ability Regenerator. This ability recovers one third of the Pokemon's

1 minute ago, hihats said:

I'm a great believer of learning by doing. That is why I was just hoping for a starting point, a proven team build that works, something balanced just to jump in and try my hand at comp battling. And then as i get more experience, I will understand each pokemon's role in the team and come up with my own modifications based on preference, type of teams I am facing, problems i ran into, etc.

Since you state there are many different play styles, why not post a typical team build for each one of those and let the player pick and choose?

Ex. Hyper offensive team 

Defensive team

Weather team 

Status team

Gimmick team ? 

Not even sure some of those are actual teams, this is just what i got from reading the forums

 

Anyways, just providing a starting point of which pokemon to throw together would be very helpful to us newbies.

I'm coming from a sweep the entire storyline with one poke background, so seeing how these hundreds of pokemon interact and narrowing it down to 6, with moves and ev spreads and items and natures and making sure weaknesses are covered, typing, etc. well it's a bit much for someone that just wants to play and be relatively functional in a battle from the start.

 

As for my team, here it is, suggestions welcome! I can swap out any and all pokemon

  Hide contents

 

Blissey

Calm Mind

 

Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 SP. Def

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Serene Grace

 

Calm Mind

Softboiled

Ice Beam

Psychic

 

Aerodactyl

Choice Band

Item: Choice Band

Nature: Jolly

Ability: Rock Head

EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed

 

Double-Edge

Rock Slide

Earthquake

Crunch 

 

Skarmory 

Hazard Setter

 

Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP 252 Defense

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

 

Stealth Rock Drill Peck

Spikes

Roost rest

Whirlwind

can't learn stealth rock and roost yet since i don't have access to unova tutors yet

 

Starmie

Life Orb Sweeper

 

Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed 252 Sp. Atk

Item: Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure

 

Surf

Psyshock Psychic --> I assume i'd better change Psychic for psyshock for wall breaking

Thunderbolt

Ice Beam --> Should I go Rapid Spin?

 

Volcarona

Special Sweeper

 

Nature: TImid

EVs: 252 Speed 252 Sp. Atk

Item: Leftovers

 

Quiver Dance

Bug Buzz

Fiery Dance

Giga Drain

 

Tyranitar

Nature: Jolly

EVs: 252 Speed 252 Attack

Item: Choice Scarf

 

Rock Slide

Crunch

Pursuit earthquake

Superpower

 

 Blissey is much better with 252 def instead of 252 sp.def

Setwise, the rest seems fine, but too lazy to check how they pair with each other.

Link to post

thanks, ill fix that blissey. I gave the team a try, I lose half the time against the first battle of  Kanto lvl 90+ elite 4.

I doubt it would fare well against a real player. Seems like I can't get rid of key threats and so many pokes get 1HKO.

I mean tyranitar getting 1HKO by some random weavile...WTF?

 

Link to post

Well yeah, my concerns are the same as I stated in the previous post but pachima already pointed out that Defense EVs are a must on Blissey. The concepts "status/gimmick" teams aren't exactly used in common terminology and weather teams are usually just Rain teams (Pelipper/Kabutops/Kingdra/Dragonite etc) and sand teams are TTar + Excadrill.

 

Edited by OrangeManiac
Link to post
23 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

But in general note I'd say I'd recommend you to use 1-2 hard wallbreakers that are hard to impossible to fully wall by Hippowdon/Blissey/Skarmory/Jellicent. Such Pokemon are Lucario/Hydreigon/Reuniclus/Haxorus/Conkeldurr/Dragonite/Excadrill just to namedrop a few.

btw thanks for the replies OrangeManiac.

So lets say I replace starmie and aerodactyl for reuniclus and conkeldurr to address the walls?

 

So i would have:

blissey (bold + 252hp, 252 def)

skarmory

reuniclus

volcarona

conkeldurr

tyranitar

 

does that make sense? Would this be a competitively viable team? Thanks

 

Link to post
1 minute ago, hihats said:

btw thanks for the replies OrangeManiac.

So lets say I replace starmie and aerodactyl for reuniclus and conkeldurr to address the walls?

 

So i would have:

blissey (bold + 252hp, 252 def)

skarmory

reuniclus

volcarona

conkeldurr

tyranitar

 

does that make sense? Would this be a competitively viable team? Thanks

 

That actually looks very solid team to me. I can't really think of an individual Pokemon that would completely destroy that team, which is what you aim in Singles teambuilds.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

There's plenty of things Hydreigon wants to outspeed, so I'd say Hasty/Naive.

I will not use physical technology.

workup / Flamethrower /
Dragon Pulse / Dark Pulse + Life Orb timid / modest What is better?
 

Link to post
Just now, everyxxxxeq said:

I will not use physical technology.

workup / Flamethrower /
Dragon Pulse / Dark Pulse + Life Orb timid / modest What is better?
 

If you use Work Up, it's pretty ridiculous not to use Superpower to kill Blisseys.

Link to post
5 hours ago, IDKPRO said:

When are the new changes in the update gonna be added in? 

Whenever and I have time and enough interest.

 

Can someone suggest me what is the best build for Swampert? I honestly don't even know what people use it mainly for, besides using Stealth Rocks. As a bulky Dragon check? As a Curse sweeper? Not only do I not see them much at all but I can't even theorymon a standard set for it.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Whenever and I have time and enough interest.

 

Can someone suggest me what is the best build for Swampert? I honestly don't even know what people use it mainly for, besides using Stealth Rocks. As a bulky Dragon check? As a Curse sweeper? Not only do I not see them much at all but I can't even theorymon a standard set for it.

I have seen people using mixed swampert with HP electric 

Link to post
On 3/4/2018 at 4:33 PM, OrangeManiac said:

 

Can someone suggest me what is the best build for Swampert? I honestly don't even know what people use it mainly for, besides using Stealth Rocks. As a bulky Dragon check? As a Curse sweeper? Not only do I not see them much at all but I can't even theorymon a standard set for it.

Earthquake/ice beam/scald/hp? 

 

I am not sure of this build.. But all Offensive.. Ice beam to take down annoying dragon and those tricky grass types(is there even much grass in OU).  scald and equally are just stab moves if needed. Last one I am not sure. But Hidden power might be a good addition.  but this is mix of physical and special..

Edited by IDKPRO
Link to post

If you want to run an offensive swampert i advice choice band (it two hits ferrothorn with stab earthquake after rocks dmg, also twohits jellicent)

 

movepool would look like this:

 

Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4

 

 

ice punch obviously for drakes but since celebi isnt in the game it loses alot of priority while stone edge is mainly for hitting gyarados which is extremly popular.

 

EVs

  • 172 HP
  • 252 Atk
  • 84 Spe

The ev's are made to let him hit the hardest possible (adamant nature) , while 84 speed are used to outspeed minimum speed scamory which allows you to 2ko it with waterfall in rain and the hp is given for more bulkiness.

 

tbh since i dont think drizzle (politoed) is in the game (again idk)? i would look for magneton with hp fire as teammate to trap ferrothorn/scamorys before they wall swampert

 

and at last: Swampert in ou loses alot of value since walls like  gliscord,slowbro and hippodown are in the game which take away from his position (they are just simple better at it) but this set allows it to be pretty effective (with the right support) regardless. If you want to play defensive swampert then i advise to play the 3 pokemon i mentioned before.

Link to post
On 26.3.2018 at 4:22 PM, blackeyes3601 said:

HYDREIGON

 

Sin_t_tulo.png

STATS AND EFFECTIVENESS

stats.png

I think that this dragon is one of the best special attack sweeper of that generation.

-elnarry

 

Wait hydreigon isnt in the list? How flew this guy directly under everyones radar?

 

he was notorious in BW OU meta or rather he kind of replaced salamance in the spot of "dragon that can go mixed sweeper but is mainly special". 
Altho he had some weaknesses added his highs were better than the ones of salamance i think

Edited by TiltingSenpai
Link to post
6 hours ago, TiltingSenpai said:

Togekiss was pretty relevant in vgc at this time (i think 2011-2012) is it worthy for being UU borderline like Bisharp for solos?

The dynamics in Singles and Doubles formats are so different that VGC relevancy has very little to do with Singles relevancy. Togekiss has bunch of amazing Doubles support moves (Tailwind, Follow Me, etc) but in Singles it's a little bit lackluster. It's definitely great mon with ability to abuse the 60% flinch chance against anything slower than Togekiss is but the problem is that slower mons than Togekiss are usually walls and Togekiss needs some insane RNG to take down a Blissey. It's not inherently bad and I'd say Togekiss is among one of the best Pokemon that is not OU but I feel like it is UU for a good reason.

 

6 hours ago, TiltingSenpai said:

Wait hydreigon isnt in the list? How flew this guy directly under everyones radar?

 

he was notorious in BW OU meta or rather he kind of replaced salamance in the spot of "dragon that can go mixed sweeper but is mainly special". 
Altho he had some weaknesses added his highs were better than the ones of salamance i think

There's 3 movesets for Hydreigon in my guide already and I praise it as one of the most complete Pokemon in the metagame.

 

The Swampert build makes sense, btw. I'll add that among some other sets when I add them.

 

Edited by OrangeManiac
Link to post
On 26/03/2018 at 9:17 PM, TiltingSenpai said:

If you want to run an offensive swampert i advice choice band (it two hits ferrothorn with stab earthquake after rocks dmg, also twohits jellicent)

 

movepool would look like this:

 

Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4

 

 

ice punch obviously for drakes but since celebi isnt in the game it loses alot of priority while stone edge is mainly for hitting gyarados which is extremly popular.

 

EVs

  • 172 HP
  • 252 Atk
  • 84 Spe

The ev's are made to let him hit the hardest possible (adamant nature) , while 84 speed are used to outspeed minimum speed scamory which allows you to 2ko it with waterfall in rain and the hp is given for more bulkiness.

 

tbh since i dont think drizzle (politoed) is in the game (again idk)? i would look for magneton with hp fire as teammate to trap ferrothorn/scamorys before they wall swampert

 

and at last: Swampert in ou loses alot of value since walls like  gliscord,slowbro and hippodown are in the game which take away from his position (they are just simple better at it) but this set allows it to be pretty effective (with the right support) regardless. If you want to play defensive swampert then i advise to play the 3 pokemon i mentioned before.

Good, but waterfall? If I am not wrong, it's a special Move  and if u are looking for special water, isn't scald or the good old surf better? 

Link to post
5 hours ago, IDKPRO said:

Good, but waterfall? If I am not wrong, it's a special Move  and if u are looking for special water, isn't scald or the good old surf better? 

He literally says on the first line that he recommends Choice Band.

 

Ah misread about the part where you mistakenly thought Waterfall is special.

 

Edited by OrangeManiac
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.