Really not liking level caps

Weedle

I've already addressed why what you're saying isn't realistic. Nobody, bar you apparently, is going to go through these more difficult battles over and over until they win like you have, and the alternative is building or buying comp Pokemon.

This creates a problem in that you're teaching people they should have to breed away the Pokemon they like and just as a side point how exactly is breeding more balanced by swinging so hard in the opposite direction? 

If they aren't wasting time catching pokemon just to breed with they're farming wilds until they get something good. And both of those things are negative to the experience.

For the level cap talk, I don't understand how you don't see that not being able to go past level 60 on Pokemon is a huge detriment.

I admit I forgot what level they had, but a two level to six level difference is nothing unless you've ev/iv trained pokemon with comp movesets, with the heightened difficulty that's a ridiculous level cap.

I'm waiting to see how this is re-balanced to be more fair and look forward to it being not just "easier", but more accessible for people to fight against.

The elite 4 should not be a challenge that limits the player, they should be a resource to build a better team and gain money in a fun way.

Breeding, the e4, and items are all in the same boat currently. Of being important gameplay features but being gimped/negative due to trying to balance them in the opposite direction of how they were before or were abused.

But unless you're trying to get the in game market more active I couldn't see why it would be pushed so hard not to have free resources closer to the original game.

43 minutes ago, atlasstar said:

I've already addressed why what you're saying isn't realistic. Nobody, bar you apparently, is going to go through these more difficult battles over and over until they win like you have, and the alternative is building or buying comp Pokemon.

For someone who hates assumptions, this is another massive one, and also objectively not true. Personally, I HATE the original handheld storylines precisely because of how easy they are to beat. There is no challenge to leveling a starmie to 70 and pressing psychic and ice beam until you beat the entire game. This current difficulty level is the first time I've actually been even remotely challenged by a pokemon storyline and I love it - and for you to claim that NOBODY ELSE feels that way too is ludicrous and saps your credibility

This creates a problem in that you're teaching people they should have to breed away the Pokemon they like and just as a side point how exactly is breeding more balanced by swinging so hard in the opposite direction? 

Why are you complaining about the breeding system? I thought you were an old player? Losing the parents while breeding has been around for years now and if you're trying to fight that battle again, save it, you've already lost

If they aren't wasting time catching pokemon just to breed with they're farming wilds until they get something good. And both of those things are negative to the experience.

Your choice of words is showing your heavy bias here. What you call "wasting time catching pokemon just to breed with" is literally just farming breeders, it's an extremely common tactic used by both breeders and comp players alike and is an integral part of the game and the economy as well. Farming wilds until they get something good....is the same exact thing. Except you're leaving it up to chance instead of taking the time to use the game mechanics (breeding) to your advantage. So without your vitriolic language, how are these things negative to the experience?

For the level cap talk, I don't understand how you don't see that not being able to go past level 60 on Pokemon is a huge detriment.

I admit I forgot what level they had, but a two level to six level difference is nothing unless you've ev/iv trained pokemon with comp movesets, with the heightened difficulty that's a ridiculous level cap.

You got caught with your pants down being flat out wrong about something and instead of ceding the point you double down? THe level cap you claimed and the actual level cap is a massive difference and you're being disingenuous not to admit that

I'm waiting to see how this is re-balanced to be more fair and look forward to it being not just "easier", but more accessible for people to fight against.

"More accessible for people to fight against" is literally just made up language you came up with to mask your request to make things easier. The e4 is extremely accessible to fight against - it's just more difficult to beat than it used to be.

The elite 4 should not be a challenge that limits the player, they should be a resource to build a better team and gain money in a fun way.

And here's the fundamental problem. You have a different vision for what this game should look like than the devs do. That brings me to senile's post earlier - maybe this game just isn't for you

I've got news for you pal - the devs may see the increased difficulty of the e4 as a way to introduce players to competitive play. But the skill level required to beat the e4 is still far below the skill level required to be a good competitive player. Not even in the same ballpark. But it doesn't help keep players around when they skate through the storyline and e4 by pressing 2 buttons on their lvl 70 starmie - but then get demolished in their first attempt at a competitive battle. Giving players a taste of some of the challenges of comp (again, just a very very small taste based on current e4 difficulty) could potentially keep some around. The kind of players who like a challenge. There will obviously be those who don't want to be challenged, who just want to have a good time and chat with their friends while pressing 2 buttons on their starmie. I'm sure there are games out there for them

The level cap changes depending on the region you are in. See below.

ya I know that data but im confused to what he meant when he said.

As a final point I want to say that the other regions are generally alright for their first E4 battle but Unova makes you face all of the elite four, and then n and ghetsis.

Is everyone just supposed to use all of their money on items or making comp pokemon?

This is a problem because the level cap is way lower than the level of N and Ghetsis, even lower than the champion.

Again highest level from ghetsis is 54.Im not sure I understand what you mean there.

I'm reminded of an old Extra Credits game design webcast on challenging versus punishing. Especially the bit about iteration time, which can be large in RPGs, especially if a lot of time and resources get allocated based on early game choices.

A common trait of favorite 90's RPGs, like Pokemon, was that they didn't punish players without a subscription to Nintendo Power or 50 free hours of AOL. Leveling up allowed those games to adjust in difficulty, seamlessly, to compensate for uninformed choices. If someone took a liking to a suboptimal character like Cyan in Final Fantasy "III", and allocated the best stat-ups to him, this didn't put the game in an unwinnable state - any character you liked and leveled up did fine. Similarly, the Warrior in Diablo easily overcame his limitations with levels, gear, and elixirs. Weak jobs in Tactics unlocked better jobs, with enough JP. If you didn't know in advance that Slade in Shining Force II or Jump in Super Mario RPG went from bad to good with extra time and effort, you could still enjoy and beat those games investing time and effort on other things.

So forgive my skepticism when some suggest a game - especially an RPG - can only appeal to people who like easy games, or only appeal to people who like hard games, but not both. Those 90's RPGs earned wide acclaim by appealing to both experienced and inexperienced RPG players. And they achieved that with difficulty levels that were neither punishing nor one-size-fits-all. Experienced players could take the games head-on - nobody forced them to be level ** before Lavos. Inexperienced players weren't trapped by uninformed decisions - and could seek more challenge the second playthrough. Almost everyone finished those games happy.

3 minutes ago, EastonWest said:

I'm reminded of an old Extra Credits game design webcast on challenging versus punishing. Especially the bit about iteration time, which can be large in RPGs, especially if a lot of time and resources get allocated based on early game choices.

A common trait of favorite 90's RPGs, like Pokemon, was that they didn't punish players without a subscription to Nintendo Power or 50 free hours of AOL. Leveling up allowed those games to adjust in difficulty, seamlessly, to compensate for uninformed choices. If someone took a liking to a suboptimal character like Cyan in Final Fantasy "III", and allocated the best stat-ups to him, this didn't put the game in an unwinnable state - any character you liked and leveled up did fine. Similarly, the Warrior in Diablo easily overcame his limitations with levels, gear, and elixirs. Weak jobs in Tactics unlocked better jobs, with enough JP. If you didn't know in advance that Slade in Shining Force II or Jump in Super Mario RPG went from bad to good with extra time and effort, you could still enjoy and beat those games investing time and effort on other things.

So forgive my skepticism when some suggest a game - especially an RPG - can only appeal to people who like easy games, or only appeal to people who like hard games, but not both. Those 90's RPGs earned wide acclaim by appealing to both experienced and inexperienced RPG players. And they achieved that with difficulty levels that were neither punishing nor one-size-fits-all. Experienced players could take the games head-on - nobody forced them to be level ** before Lavos. Inexperienced players weren't trapped by uninformed decisions - and could seek more challenge the second playthrough. Almost everyone finished those games happy.

This is pretty much exactly what I've been thinking. When I hear the dev mentality that "We're going to be buffing pre-elite 4 so players will be learning more on how to deal with the postgame", I can't help but think that in 2017, nobody is going to really be taking in the time to learn Pokemon more than they actually know right now. I feel like you're going to be getting a whole lot more frustrated players than newly educated casuals, and the player capture is going to go down. And to be honest, these players (mainly casuals) that the devs have intention of teaching to deal with postgame content really aren't going to mess around with stuff like PVP, the battle frontier, dungeons, etc. They really just want to have a good time playing Pokemon in an MMO format.

I just see for anyone that brings up concern for the difficulty of the game being too hard pre-elite 4 are all players well equipped with competitive knowledge anyway and the new buffs to everything don't even bother them a whole lot (like myself). It's others that we're concerned for, namely in my case, my group of casual friends that I would really like to join me on here, but now know that there would probably be a road block in the game that would honestly just make them put it down.

8 minutes ago, EastonWest said:

That would be a fine analysis and comparison, if this were just an RPG. But it's an MMO too - and that's where the key difference is. MMO's are supposed to have higher level entry barriers for end game content. It makes the content feel more rewarding, knowing you actually had to put in effort to get there. If WoW let every level *Max level cap which is constantly shifting* beat the incredibly difficult raid bosses easily, but then made subsequent playthroughs as difficult as usual, it wouldn't feel rewarding to beat them. You can absolutely choose to play this game casually - going out and puttering around in the grass to catch pokemon, chatting on global and channel chats, buying and selling things on GTL, these are all incredibly easy things to do. But if you want access to the upper level end game content, you have to challenge yourself a little and beat the more difficult, but not impossible, e4. 

1 minute ago, Raichu4u said:

This is pretty much exactly what I've been thinking. When I hear the dev mentality that "We're going to be buffing pre-elite 4 so players will be learning more on how to deal with the postgame", I can't help but think that in 2017, nobody is going to really be taking in the time to learn Pokemon more than they actually know right now. I feel like you're going to be getting a whole lot more frustrated players than newly educated casuals, and the player capture is going to go down. And to be honest, these players (mainly casuals) that the devs have intention of teaching to deal with postgame content really aren't going to mess around with stuff like PVP, the battle frontier, dungeons, etc. They really just want to have a good time playing Pokemon in an MMO format.

I just see for anyone that brings up concern for the difficulty of the game being too hard pre-elite 4 are all players well equipped with competitive knowledge anyway and the new buffs to everything don't even bother them a whole lot (like myself). It's others that we're concerned for, namely in my case, my group of casual friends that I would really like to join me on here, but now know that there would probably be a road block in the game that would honestly just make them put it down.

No! Stop doing this. Stop pretending to assume that you know what players are going to do or not do. You have absolutely no idea whether or not people will "really taking in the time to learn pokemon more than they actually know right now." Every single competitive player in this game started out not knowing shit about pokemon. How do you think they, we, got where we are? Your entire post, every assumption youve made since you started posting here, has been built on false premises - that no one likes the increased difficulty and that the devs wont accomplish their goal because "it just isn't going to work." You are not armed with that knowledge, so stop trying to fire that gun

Just now, Gunthug said:

That would be a fine analysis and comparison, if this were just an RPG. But it's an MMO too - and that's where the key difference is. MMO's are supposed to have higher level entry barriers for end game content. It makes the content feel more rewarding, knowing you actually had to put in effort to get there. If WoW let every level *Max level cap which is constantly shifting* beat the incredibly difficult raid bosses easily, but then made subsequent playthroughs as difficult as usual, it wouldn't feel rewarding to beat them. You can absolutely choose to play this game casually - going out and puttering around in the grass to catch pokemon, chatting on global and channel chats, buying and selling things on GTL, these are all incredibly easy things to do. But if you want access to the upper level end game content, you have to challenge yourself a little and beat the more difficult, but not impossible, e4. 

No! Stop doing this. Stop pretending to assume that you know what players are going to do or not do. You have absolutely no idea whether or not people will "really taking in the time to learn pokemon more than they actually know right now." Every single competitive player in this game started out not knowing shit about pokemon. How do you think they, we, got where we are? Your entire post, every assumption youve made since you started posting here, has been built on false premises - that no one likes the increased difficulty and that the devs wont accomplish their goal because "it just isn't going to work." You are not armed with that knowledge, so stop trying to fire that gun

I know of five people that currently put the game down due to increased difficulty, and this is only the scope of people I know personally. They are all casual Pokemon players at heart, and I've taken the time to understand the mindsets and mentalities of people who play both casually and competitively, even when it comes to games way outside of Pokemon. Because you lack empathy and understanding for the first group somehow doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Just now, Raichu4u said:

I know of five people that currently put the game down due to increased difficulty, and this is only the scope of people I know personally. They are all casual Pokemon players at heart, and I've taken the time to understand the mindsets and mentalities of people who play both casually and competitively, even when it comes to games way outside of Pokemon. Because you lack empathy and understanding for the first group somehow doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Do you know what percentage of the total pokemmo population 5 people represents?

2 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

lol you've made the same exact mistake that guy made. I'm not contending that only 5 people dont like the changes, much like I never contended that only 3 people didn't like the changes. But when I ask you "how do you know that the majority of people dont like the changes" and you respond with "well 3 people I know..." or "5 people i know...," those are horrible fucking arguments. And then when I call you out for them being a drop in the bucket, you parrot that other guy's equally stupid response. Any comment on the actual bulk of your post that I addressed? When you said no one was actually going to learn more about pokemon than they already know (ignoring how every single comp player got started in the history of competitive pokemon)?

Edited by Gunthug
1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

lol you've made the same exact mistake that guy made. I'm not contending that only 5 people dont like the changes, much like I never contended that only 3 people didn't like the changes. But when I ask you "how do you know that the majority of people dont like the changes" and you respond with "well 3 people I know..." or "5 people i know...," those are horrible fucking arguments. And then when I call you out for them being a drop in the bucket, you parrot that other guy's equally stupid response. Any comment on the actual bulk of your post that I addressed? When you said no one was actually going to learn more about pokemon than they already know (ignoring how every single comp player got started in the history of competitive pokemon)?

Have you never ever experienced the trope of a player in literally any demanding video game known to man to where the difficulty is too hard for them to the point to where they quit and completely refuse to learn much more about the game? I'm completely shocked you've never even known a person like this.

Just now, Raichu4u said:

Have you never ever experienced the trope of a player in literally any demanding video game known to man to where the difficulty is too hard for them to the point to where they quit and completely refuse to learn much more about the game? I'm completely shocked you've never even known a person like this.

Raichu4u.

You started by saying that literally no one was going to learn more about pokemon than they already know because of the increased difficulty. You've now shifted to "don't you know a single person who gets frustrated and refuses to learn?" 

This is called moving the goalposts, and it means you've lost. Yes, people exist who won't bother to get any better at this and will quit in frustration. On the other hand, people exist who will lose to the e4 and say "wellp, let's figure out what I did wrong" and get right back to it until they beat it. Based on your original point, it is you who claims to not know a single person in the latter group (hey, how ya doin, my name is gunthug). So ask yourself - who is making the absurd claim right now?

Well, thats the thing... Its not "Too hard" you lot are just used to the easy, boring storyline gameplay of handheld games, with the mentality of "meh, i'll probably sweep everything with some high lvl shit since npc's, gyms even the E4 doesn't upgrade to max levels"
Which is fine in a handheld game i suppose, but in an MMO, you are supposed to have difficulties different from that of ordinary single-player games. If you've put half the effort about advantages and disadvantages you can have against opponents instead of uguuing about how hard the game is, you would've been done with the storyline and be on your way to whatever you want to do in the game. And no, you don't particularly need high IV or bred pokemon to carry you in the league. Type advantages, some cash for restoration items and a well versed team will be enough.

1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

Raichu4u.

You started by saying that literally no one was going to learn more about pokemon than they already know because of the increased difficulty. You've now shifted to "don't you know a single person who gets frustrated and refuses to learn?" 

This is called moving the goalposts, and it means you've lost. Yes, people exist who won't bother to get any better at this and will quit in frustration. On the other hand, people exist who will lose to the e4 and say "wellp, let's figure out what I did wrong" and get right back to it until they beat it. Based on your original point, it is you who claims to not know a single person in the latter group (hey, how ya doin, my name is gunthug). So ask yourself - who is making the absurd claim right now?

I am absolutely sticking by my original statement and in no way think I'm moving goalposts. I understand there are plenty of people who will suck up the changes as usual (I'm going to guess, people who already have a firm understanding on Pokemon already, but not limited too) and will come back and learn from mistakes if they lose a battle.

I just think there's going to be a decent amount of disenfranchised casual players that will just go "This game is too hard I'm just going to quit" who could of ended up being pretty good members of the community. And I feel like you're not going to care about that statement at all anyway unless you don't get any statistical evidence anyway, so, enjoy the ride for a year from now, I guess?

I am absolutely sticking by my original statement and in no way think I'm moving goalposts. I understand there are plenty of people who will suck up the changes as usual (I'm going to guess, people who already have a firm understanding on Pokemon already, but not limited too) and will come back and learn from mistakes if they lose a battle.

I just think there's going to be a decent amount of disenfranchised casual players that will just go "This game is too hard I'm just going to quit" who could of ended up being pretty good members of the community. And I feel like you're not going to care about that statement at all anyway unless you don't get any statistical evidence anyway, so, enjoy the ride for a year from now, I guess?

You don't have to provide statistical evidence necessarily, but it would be nice. ANY evidence at all would suffice, aside from extremely suspect and difficult to prove anecdotal evidence. I've been here since 2012, do you know how many people have made the same claim you're making? That X change is going to result in this game being done with a year from now? Hell, I"VE made that claim before on at least one or two occasions. But I've learned to give changes time and not jump to ridiculous, doomsday conclusions 2 weeks after a massive, unprecedented update hits. Maybe a year from now, you'll have learned that too?

2 hours ago, Gunthug said:

haha good luck bud, the first set of finals are the hardest only because you don't really know what to expect yet - don't stress too much

I'm only quoting this as a reply, see you keep assuming as other people have that I personally have trouble with this.

I've said it before, and apparently I have to mirror raichu and say it again, I'm bringing this up because I personally know people who have quit because of these changes.

And because these would be easy to balance for more casual players, I find it frustrating.

And you might have noticed I agreed with Senile, I don't like the direction the game is going in. I have very little interest in high level competitive play.

But that does not mean I haven't played it before or are not at the level of skill you keep referencing to beat these battles.

Please stop making assumptions like that if you want people to take you seriously.

Of course me and Raichu would feel biased towards this having personal evidence of it affecting players.

But if the people saying they had problems, and being told to get over it isn't enough evidence, not really sure what could be.

I've already agreed I'm waiting to see what changes come through the pipeline, and I'm hoping it's something more balanced and accepting of new or casual players.

Edited by atlasstar

You're the only person so wholeheartedly saying to just accept changes we think are negative. To not even bring them up because they won't be changed.Oh and I'm pretty sure other than the original post I made nobody said the game was going to fall through if the changes were kept. So not really sure why you brought that up from Raichus post, what i think he actually means is "Youll enjoy how the game is a year from now" and that the game would lose players. And it has, I remember the big fuss over breeding and how many people quit then too.

Edited by atlasstar

And I know 3 people who loves changes.  Do we have a dra w?

Also excuse me.  My team was made of pokemons I like. They were awful in means of comp pokemons. Biggest iv was like 27 in one stat. 

Sure I've Lost, but I've leveled two pokes to lvl 55. Krokodile and dweino iirc and I managed to beat ghestis on third attemp. It took Time but when I hear that uneed comps to do it - you dont but they may help.

Note- Im not saying you have no rigth to complain about something u dont like

2 hours ago, Bearminator said:

And I know 3 people who loves changes.  Do we have a dra w?

Also excuse me.  My team was made of pokemons I like. They were awful in means of comp pokemons. Biggest iv was like 27 in one stat. 

Sure I've Lost, but I've leveled two pokes to lvl 55. Krokodile and dweino iirc and I managed to beat ghestis on third attemp. It took Time but when I hear that uneed comps to do it - you dont but they may help.

Note- Im not saying you have no rigth to complain about something u dont like

And it's perfectly fine to like these changes or just accept them.

But that's why I said casual players or less experienced.

For the reason that anyone can also not enjoy these changes, but people won't accept that for some reason.

So I'm happy that you enjoy it with pokemon you like but I'm pretty sure I never said it was unbeatable, just harder.

Edited by atlasstar
5 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

PokeMMO became the Dark Souls of all pokemon games out there

Actually that's Pokemon Reborn, its way harder all around because of like six rivals, very little Pokemon selection, and a ridiculous level cap.

Edited by atlasstar

Hello, sorry if my english is not the best

I recently came back after 1 year or 1 and a half of not playing. I stopped playing because my main objective was to get the motorcycle, it was like in 850,000, made a pay day persian which i enjoyed creating it, learned breeding and the ivs and evs, after i got the bike i stopped playing because i thought i had nothing else to do, sure i knew the only thing missing was to enter the competitive scene but the whole process bored me, so i just simply left. I came back to revive old memories to check what they added, to my surprise they added a new region ( i thought they would go for jhoto or sinnoh but to my surprise they went for unova) so i decided to start playing again, but i noticed the lvl cap in the gyms and a increased difficulty in some npcs (i dont know if there is lvl cap on other regions because i finished the story in both of them, but i guess there is) and i would like to express that i dont like it, i consider myself as a casual player who just likes to spend time finishing the story catching the pokemon i like, modifying my appearance, having battles with my friends.

You can say "And you still can finish the story and do other things, nothing stops you", but i bump into this "buff" with the npcs that simply bores me a lot. And trust me, i made efforts in other games changing the way i play, ,learning new things, getting better each time to beat something or someone. But i simply dont like the pokemon storyline being that way "more difficult, with new lessons to learn each time".

I like the "old" pokemmo, the one where if you wanted you could enter a more estrategic world or you could just simply be calm using a lvl 100 pokemon ( i know this might sound boring, but my 2 friends and i like it that way since we werent here in pokemmo for the competitive scene or for a challenge, we came here for the good memories we had with pokemon and the past games).

Im only saying i dont like the new challenging storyline, and i want to see what other regions they add.

(Im not going to quit pokemmo, im currently in Unova ev training my pignite but he is stuck in lvl 30 in the 4th gym leader :( , hopefully i can beat here by tomorrow. Only giving my opinion)

Edited by guevaration

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.