Really not liking level caps

Weedle

Playing through unova makes me feel unusually constrained. Currently at the fourth gym and my starter is capped at 30, and from all the expreince I would guess he should be closer to 40. I understand the point of not letting us use high level mons from a different region, but why the hell would you cap the level of mons we catch playing through the story as well as our starter?

Just now, Weedle said:

Playing through unova makes me feel unusually constrained. Currently at the fourth gym and my starter is capped at 30, and from all the expreince I would guess he should be closer to 40. I understand the point of not letting us use high level mons from a different region, but why the hell would you cap the level of mons we catch playing through the story as well as our starter?

Because people would level in the other region to do the exact same thing.

2 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

I'm just wondering... is this seriously that much of a widespread problem to where a cap was thought to be needed? I really never heard of someone cheating the economy by doing multiple runs through the game.

That's because we have level caps :')

1 minute ago, Raichu4u said:

But was this seriously that much of a problem in the past? I've only heard of it causing so much more of a headache for people than it's actually benefitted.

No headache. Level cap is more than generous. I'm running through Hoenn with level 20s right from the start. Easy. Anything else than that would ruin the play through for the next regious. 

14 minutes ago, Gaara said:

No headache. Level cap is more than generous. I'm running through Hoenn with level 20s right from the start. Easy. Anything else than that would ruin the play through for the next regious. 

The problem is I'm trying to play unova without using other regions and the levelcap is actively limiting my playstyle. Almost forcing me to cheat by using other region resources.

45 minutes ago, Weedle said:

The problem is I'm trying to play unova without using other regions and the levelcap is actively limiting my playstyle. Almost forcing me to cheat by using other region resources.

Try catching more pokemon in the region then. Running through the game with just your starter sucks and it basically voids gameplay as you would just become so overleveled you would one shot everything. Especially now that the game has been made harder to prepare for future end game content the story is meants as a tutorial. The level cap will always be a couple levels above gym leader aces. So with getting new additions every now and then till you got a full team while not being stupidly overleveled is way better gameplay wise. Opposed to just clicking "A" 24/7 with your starter because you are so far ahead nothing really matters.

Not saying your playstyle is horrible. It works in the normal games. But here it doesn't sadly.

4 hours ago, Raichu4u said:

I'm just wondering... is this seriously that much of a widespread problem to where a cap was thought to be needed? I really never heard of someone cheating the economy by doing multiple runs through the game.

I wouldn't necessarily call it cheating the economy at all. It's preparing players for planned end-game content by teaching them more about the game itself in an easily digestible manner. Is it annoying? Most certainly, but from my perspective as a person who has very little knowledge of pseudo-comp level strategy this makes learning these strategies more digestible. Does this mean you have to use comps in the storyline? No, in fact I'm using 4 non-comp Spinda to run Unova currently. You can still play how you want to a degree. The only major changes to the common strategies are no longer being able to level your starter, or any gift mon, in that region to obscene levels and tanking the whole storyline and having to use different moves. In the end, what you use is still up to you, but you have to think a bit more strategically. Bear in mind that the devs are still planning legendary dungeons and from the sound of their posts lately, those dungeons won't be much easier than the storyline itself. Making sure players have some basic understanding of mechanics is the best way to ensure they are prepared for those dungeons.

3 minutes ago, MasterJSB said:

the problem is the previous person who had the original content made the game the he wanted it for competitive play while kyu had it the way he,she had it. It was faster to release what was already there in the shutdown version of someone else's work and fixing it up than using old content contents wich was harder also they have been talking about this for awhile.

Wat? The whole development team collaborated on the tweaks to the storyline. There was no picking up from anyone else's work aside from tweaking the base that Nintendo and Game Freak had setdown in the vanilla games. The development team, Kyu/Shu/Desu/Darkshade, have been working on this game since it started in 2012.

FUCK this stupid ass level cap... i cant beat the elite four now cuz all my team is over leveled and i spent 400k on a new team cuz FUCK grinding for 40 more hours... i fuckin died twice in a row on my rival on HIS LAST FUCKING POKEMON. SO FUCKING PISSED just throw away my team with the update yea cool thanks....

My problem with the level cap remains the same : I like to use the VS Seeker to grind, so when i'm close to hit the cap i must  RUSH to the next gym so i can lift the level restrictions a little - while avoiding every trainer in my path - Like, i have just finished Elesa and i'm running to face Clay next so i can train my pokemons without worrying much, until i get close to Skyla, that is.

Edited by romanticmisery

The real problem is not the level cap but how absurdly hard gym leaders are (and I guess E4 too) compared to the rest of the story trainers. It rather makes the game an unbereable grind through weak trainers until you find a good rival in the gym leader, OR you have a nice chain of battles until you bump into an invincible gym leader...

Honestly, I'm leveling up my mons until right under the level cap in kanto/hoenn and then bringing them back to Unova cuz otherwise the boredom, grinding and bitterness of Unova is unbearable. I could just train my mons until the cap in Unova in wild encounters but that would be slow and painful. I'm lucky I have the Kanto and Hoenn cheat available but if I were a noob I would have quitted the game for sure. This is definitely driving away a lot of new players, sadly.

Edited by Rittz
3 hours ago, romanticmisery said:

My problem with the level cap remains the same : I like to use the VS Seeker to grind, so when i'm close to hit the cap i must  RUSH to the next gym so i can lift the level restrictions a little - while avoiding every trainer in my path - Like, i have just finished Elesa and i'm running to face Clay next so i can train my pokemons without worrying much, until i get close to Skyla, that is.

Im not sure if that is the case for you but after hitting cap you still gain XP. You just can't level up. After getting badge and acquiring any new amount of XP all stored XP is granted back to you.

3 hours ago, Rittz said:

Honestly, I'm leveling up my mons until right under the level cap in kanto/hoenn and then bringing them back to Unova cuz otherwise the boredom, grinding and bitterness of Unova is unbearable. I could just train my mons until the cap in Unova in wild encounters but that would be slow and painful. I'm lucky I have the Kanto and Hoenn cheat available but if I were a noob I would have quitted the game for sure. This is definitely driving away a lot of new players, sadly.

I beat Unova with 4 pokes (3water types and 1electric) just by beating every trainer and wild encounter. I never grind before battle and never get back to Kanto/Hoenn for XP. Just use your brain instead of trying to muscle it through. That's true, Trainers and Gyms ARE harder just instead of complaining try to outsmart a bot (it's not as hard as you claim it to be)

6 hours ago, Rittz said:

The real problem is not the level cap but how absurdly hard gym leaders are (and I guess E4 too) compared to the rest of the story trainers. It rather makes the game an unbereable grind through weak trainers until you find a good rival in the gym leader, OR you have a nice chain of battles until you bump into an invincible gym leader...

I kinda like how the gym leaders are an actual challenge now, because they use more advanced tactics like switching. The only gym leader I'd classify as 'easy' is Brycen because I choose Tepig as a starter. C L E A N W I P E.

The level cap does add a nice bit of challenge to the game, and overall, I kinda hated it at first, but then I enjoyed it more as I went through the game. It encourages a more 'fun' style of play that adds some challenge to an otherwise pretty easy game.

It took me forever to beat Clay because I didn't have a pokemon that could take his hits. That is, until my Yamask evolved. He's a goddamn tank now. He only lost 1/4 of his health to a critical crunch.

I should name him Sherman

I use the Kanto/Hoenn card all the time (Finish a Gym in Unova, go back to Kanto, level up to my new level cap, back to Unova) and it's actually kinda fun... Changing the whole team or a big part of it for every different part of the game... 

At first I disliked the cap system but now I think it's okay c:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.