Pokemon Suicide

So yeah
I started Hoenn, and as I didn't encounter any pokemon I wanted in my team, I just used my starter, and got it to level 30 before the electric gym

And now well

It keeps killing itself

Basically, I'm wasting time and exp on my HMslave because he kills himself over and over again

Is it a nescessary sacrifice, or will we get a fix for this?

37 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

Honestly this change should of only been made for traded Pokemon. Having your own OT Pokemon disobey you is stupid.

yeah but then everyone would just take an OP team that they arlready have to Unova and just run throught it in no time at all, and if you would have read the changelog they have it in there that they made the change, and they even told us on ingame chat before the update. It only happens if you dont have the badges so idk why you would lvl up to a lvl you cant use without the proper badges, or think you could take sometime over powered to a new region without something going wrong. hell i actually perfer them kiling themselves instead of just not obeying and you have to waste a turn to switch out, Cause the old way is they use to just stay on screen but not listen to any command you gave.

In my Hoenn Playthrough:

I have all the badges, am at Victory Road, have all my Pokemon higher than 60 (Around 62-ish) (which seems to be the new cap, even with all badges) before the update and am now royaly screwed. I have to rebuild an entire team from scratch now because they keep killing themselves.

And Lvl 60 isn't even that radiculous if you fail the E4 a few times midway through! It's totally possible you have a bit of bad luck or just didn't optimise your team well enough to have to practially re-play the entire game just because you leveled up a bit too much. Having them kill themselves just because they are 1 level higher than the cap is way too harsh. And is probably just there so people buy that Amnesia Braclet.

16 minutes ago, fredfuchs285 said:

And is probably just there so people buy that Amnesia Braclet.

While your frustration is understandable and I agree with you somewhat but this really ticked me off. 

First of all the new system doesn't allow you to level over the level cap. So that'll make the amnesia brace practically useless for story to begin with. Since the game does the same thing automatically. For example if the level cap is lvl 20. You just leveled your starter from 19>20 it wont level above level 20 till you have gotten the next badge. Any EXP you do gain will be stored and given to you when you have gotten the gym badge.

Also as to why this feature was implemented is so people can no longer truck through the storyline with their starter and use lvl 100s they got beforehand from other regions to beat the other elite 4s. It voids gameplay and it makes the tutorial part of the game very useless. How it has been made right now makes new players understand and learn how the game will function and what they should expect from the end game content. It also actually makes the late game story quite difficult. While maybe not that much end game content is in the game yet. There will be in the future. 

Its currently an issue for the people who were in the middle of doing the story while the update hit but it wont be a problem for anyone else in the future. Either way my advice would be to go to another region and start over there. And use some pokemon from there on other regions. Sorry for the inconvenience.

What happens to the account that only have 1 starter and that starter is over Lvl.. Not enough money to buy any lower Lvl and not his fault as his pokes were over Lvl before the update... Assuming this guy have no friends and can't find any kind souls.. 

Going to catch another pokemon will just get his pokemon a suicide.. Can't buy any pokemon.. No friends to support.. They quit this game because of an update or waste to create another character? 

Pokemon insta death doesn't seems logical though I am not saying pokemon must have logic or is logical.. I prefer previous way of slow death and maybe a chance of listening like Ash's charizard probably same type increases chance of listening.. If over lvled high chance of confusion and ignoring order? If insta death was meant to not waste time and die instantly.. Why not have a button that suicides after first turn of ignoring order such that trainer can suicide his pokemon while those that keep praying for that chance of hit.. Go on and pray.. Win and win.. 

Edited by XelaKebert
Fixed double post

I wasn't aware you simply couldn't level above the cap. So sorry about that.

That said, the rest of your reply just boils down to "You're SOL, go restart your hours of progress".

First of all, this could be entirely avoided. Simply don't enforce this rule on OT Pokemon that are obtained prior to the update and are above the level cap while still preventing them from leveling up until they are below the cap again.

If that is too much to ask, have an option to level down Pokemon that are above the current cap. So players can atleast continue playing with their current character as it is intented from the update onwards.

And you say to just create a new character. But we still can't delete characters so this means we have one wasted character in a semi-soft locked state that just wastes space. And for me, I already have used all my slots to play with friends (that got tired of the game by now) assuming I could always just delete these. Which probably are all stuck with the new level cap in the same way. So I have to create a new account just to restart again.

Everyone should play the game as they please... but don't blame the game or the devs if you fail. The game gives you plenty of options(pokemons) to beat the npcs and gym leaders...

If you don't like the pokemons well there's nothing the devs can do about that... Maybe start to play it smart and build a nice team. With time you will get to play with your favorite pokes and beat the E4 :)

6 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Everyone should play the game as they please... but don't blame the game or the devs if you fail. The game gives you plenty of options(pokemons) to beat the npcs and gym leaders...

If you don't like the pokemons well there's nothing the devs can do about that... Maybe start to play it smart and build a nice team. With time you will get to play with your favorite pokes and beat the E4 :)

Are you even reading the changes to this? It can cause you to not even be able to use your team.

2 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

Are you even reading the changes to this? It can cause you to not even be able to use your team.

It can't, your pokemon stop leveling when they reach the cap and the exp gets saved up until after you get it and your level cap raises.

1 minute ago, Raichu4u said:

I did... Last time i checked you always had problems if your poke was high level and not having enough badges to control it... so what's different now? It kills himself... Who's fault is that?

And who's to blame if the player decides to use just one poke? The Devs? Don't think so...

3 hours ago, TheChampionMike said:

While your frustration is understandable and I agree with you somewhat but this really ticked me off. 

First of all the new system doesn't allow you to level over the level cap. So that'll make the amnesia brace practically useless for story to begin with. Since the game does the same thing automatically. For example if the level cap is lvl 20. You just leveled your starter from 19>20 it wont level above level 20 till you have gotten the next badge. Any EXP you do gain will be stored and given to you when you have gotten the gym badge.

Also as to why this feature was implemented is so people can no longer truck through the storyline with their starter and use lvl 100s they got beforehand from other regions to beat the other elite 4s. It voids gameplay and it makes the tutorial part of the game very useless. How it has been made right now makes new players understand and learn how the game will function and what they should expect from the end game content. It also actually makes the late game story quite difficult. While maybe not that much end game content is in the game yet. There will be in the future. 

Its currently an issue for the people who were in the middle of doing the story while the update hit but it wont be a problem for anyone else in the future. Either way my advice would be to go to another region and start over there. And use some pokemon from there on other regions. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Question: the pokemon stop gaining exp BEFORE it overlevels or AFTER it does and becomes useless?

1 hour ago, Munya said:

It can't, your pokemon stop leveling when they reach the cap and the exp gets saved up until after you get it and your level cap raises.

Are you not hearing of people who were playing through Kanto/Hoenn on characters that haven't gotten certain gym badges that no longer can use certain members of their team now?

15 minutes ago, Raichu4u said:

Are you not hearing of people who were playing through Kanto/Hoenn on characters that haven't gotten certain gym badges that no longer can use certain members of their team now?

We are, unfortunately they're just going to have to persevere until they are usable again.

With the GTL at hand, this hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem.

2 hours ago, suigin said:

Suggested fix: If the Pokemon is a Prize given to you in the same region you're in, it never disobeys you.

This is what we had before, it doesn't solve the problem as it means people just take those gifts to regions they've completed, level them up and blitz through the other region again.

34 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

We are, unfortunately they're just going to have to persevere until they are usable again.

With the GTL at hand, this hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This is what we had before, it doesn't solve the problem as it means people just take those gifts to regions they've completed, level them up and blitz through the other region again.

What about my solutions? Those don't have this negative effect of people breezing through the game. At worst it given them a slight advantage until they completed the next gym.

And in my case this is a big problem. I don't just have to make a temporary makeshift team or not use one or two pokemon to get through one gym which only have one type. I have to either grind an entire new makeshift team (all my main mon are above lvl 60) together or buy one (and with how time consuming it is to get money after the update this is a bigger issue than it might seem) to defeat the entire E4.

7 minutes ago, fredfuchs285 said:

And in my case this is a big problem. I don't just have to make a temporary makeshift team or not use one or two pokemon to get through one gym which only have one type. I have to either grind an entire new makeshift team (all my main mon are above lvl 60) together or buy one (and with how time consuming it is to get money after the update this is a bigger issue than it might seem) to defeat the entire E4.

My suggestion would be what someone said earlier in the thread, go to the new region, get to where you've got some Pokémon at or just below level 60, then come back to hoenn to beat up the elite 4 with those. 

I know being forced to do that kinda sucks, but just keep in mind it was just very unfortunate timing for you and other people in the middle of the story when the update hit. Redoing the mechanics again just to fix an issue only these certain people will ever have doesn't really make sense. Once the people it currently affects can get through it the problem won't exist for people again in the future. 

I really like the new level system. It dont make battles harder, i just need to care what i am fighting.

The suicide is the BEST thing you made ! I remember i used a pokemon lvl 100 to battle when i had only one/two badges. I had to disconnect because he didnt want to obey me.

But... now, Hordes are really really difficult.

When you have to 1vs5 with just 2 levels above and dont have any move to kill them all in one turn, i just hope escape will work.

On 11/15/2017 at 3:37 PM, Raichu4u said:

Honestly this change should of only been made for traded Pokemon. Having your own OT Pokemon disobey you is stupid.

Your OT pokemon disobeying you if you dont have the correct badges is a core element of the game and always has been. Its half the point of badges. Its been common knowledge since gen 1. I wish people would get over this already.

I can relate my whole team is leveled too high I would need to beat the E4 to get them back, and I've got a team of level 20s and 30s to do it with. At least for your situation it's not too hard to get the next badge regardless I hope they at least throw older players a bone if they got caught in the middle of the story when the update hit.