OU Tier Discussion Request Thread

Munya

32 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I believe the reason Dugtrio got its atk boosted from 80 to 100 is because devs most likely rather have Arena Trap nerfed than Dugtrio itself. This would be more enligned with what happened to Wobbuffet too.

I think it's because since it no longer breaks NU and it's not a staple in higher tiers it may be ok to buff it since the higher ups want the game to "be as close to the original games" as possible.

Same deal as the stupid Curse Body thing with Gengar, the devs want to keep mons as close to their Sword and Shield iterations as possible without them being broken for our meta.

4 minutes ago, suigin said:

I think it's because since it no longer breaks NU and it's not a staple in higher tiers it may be ok to buff it since the higher ups want the game to "be as close to the original games" as possible.

Same deal as the stupid Curse Body thing with Gengar, the devs want to keep mons as close to their Sword and Shield iterations as possible without them being broken for our meta.

Yet outrage still nerfed without ever getting tested

Did you notice that a certain unknown player made it twice in a row to the finals in shiny tournaments?

Damn, a king's rock Cloyster user consistently beating solid players in tournaments, and in most of his games making his way to victory by shell smashing, pressing icicle spear and praying.

Thanks god the game alerts the players that Cloyster holds a king's rock so they can easily counter it right?

7 minutes ago, Azphiel said:

Did you notice that a certain unknown player made it twice in a row to the finals in shiny tournaments?

Damn, a king's rock Cloyster user consistently beating solid players in tournaments, and in most of his games making his way to victory by shell smashing, pressing icicle spear and praying.

Thanks god the game alerts the players that Cloyster holds a king's rock so they can easily counter it right?

Hax items are a staff and developer issue, and unfortunately not a problem for TC. Would need to continue the conversation in the suggestion thread probably. 

4 hours ago, Huargensy said:

We have been complaining about that for months, but unfortunately we cannot blame TC for this, it is the fault of the developers who believe that placing a warning notice solves the flinch and unfair victories that this item offers

I don't blame the devs about that, the principal argument given by the community was "we can't play around that", now you can. The devs did what yall asked for.

Edited by PedroLindoUnico
Just now, PedroLindoUnico said:

It isn't my part lol I just said what yall said b4. Did not people say you can't know if he is kings rock or not what makes hard to play around?

I remember that clearly 

it adds a layer of frustration but it changes nothing in the end

Temporary solutions galore. 

If even showdown — who's meta game is much more balanced due to a good TC lineup — decided to ban kings rock, I don't understand why it doesn't warrant a ban here. I don't play pvp enough over here but even I would be frustrated if I spent a whole game outplaying the opponent and the dude wins because his cloyster flinched me to death. 
5pp4s2.jpg.7b10396c5e1f9c31fa4a1b3dc0a39344.jpg

Edited by EricRasp

Looking for some feedback on definitions of Counters and Checks.  Current etiquette basically defines them is such(these are not my definitions):

Counter:

A pokemon that can switch into any move from an opposing pokemon under normal conditions with little to no risk to itself, and can reliably beat the pokemon it is countering. Counters can typically switch into the same pokemon multiple times, assuming they remain healthy. 

Check:

A pokemon that can switch into another pokemon under normal conditions, but isn't safe from all of the moves/options the opposing pokemon has, however, can still beat the pokemon before it itself is beaten. Cannot typically switch into the same pokemon many times, as it's worn down by the attacks of the pokemon or threatened by certain moves it carries.

I have been informed that these may not be correct and would like some more insight into this to try and define them as well as possible.

6 hours ago, Munya said:

Check:

A pokemon that can switch into another pokemon under normal conditions, but isn't safe from all of the moves/options the opposing pokemon has, however, can still beat the pokemon before it itself is beaten. Cannot typically switch into the same pokemon many times, as it's worn down by the attacks of the pokemon or threatened by certain moves it carries.

Check:
A pokemon that under normal conditions can beat the opposing pokemon before it is itself beaten. Switching into the opposing pokemon should usually be costly, risky or impossible depending on the situation.

I think something like that would be more simple.

On 11/27/2017 at 6:48 PM, Spaintakula said:

Out of the dragons, haxorus is the one you worry about? Really?

And to add on the above mentioned counters, Dnite is also a soft check to it, when we get multiscale. 

Gen5 was also a time where bulky gyara was a thing too, and even if it wasn't, it still is a great switch-in vs it.

Idk why people think they HAVE to counter a +2 or +3 Volcarona. If you are looking for that, then you done fucked up in the first place.

This aged up pretty well.

• 3 weeks later...

Sand devil + Garchomp in OU.

Before that, I think everyone is bothered by a Garchomp like this:

`When your Choice scarf Darmanitian uses U-Turn against Garchomp, it is missed because of this move in Sand weather and is finally killed by Earthquake.

·Your Tyrannitar uses Ice-punch against Garchomp and is missed, resulting to a passive situation for Tyrannitar player.

I have a friend who loves playing sand team telling me that if Tyranitar meets Rotom-wash, switch to your Garchomp directly because his pump simply doesn't hit you in sand weather:/ 

This setting makes the instability of the battle become too high. Although the unstable battle is the charm of Pokemon, But I think the Garchonp + Sand devil exceeds the standard, so I want to make the following modification suggestions:

1.When Garchomp + Sand devil was combined, his Sand devil no longer took effect on 100% probability moves.

2.Ban it.

I use Garchomp myself, but every player who likes it will not like it because it can dodge at sand weather.

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2021 at 1:33 AM, Nikolhe said:

Hey there, just dropped for a moment here to thank you for the time I spent on the game and my 2 cents on king's rock: nerf it. Just make it a % activation item with high %so that you balance the power with some risk. 

Anyway, I also wanted to say goodbye, I'm obviously quitting due to me going back to pokemmo after months and seeing Wobb unbanned and various hideous things that keep killing the PVP official aspect for me.

Thank you, goodbye! 

Hello. Too much things changed. 

Wobb is unbanned, but you checked Shadow Tag? Nerfed. Only will work for 3 turns.
Garchomp are back to OU, but you check their movepool? Swords Dance Removed.
Hydreigon doesn't banned, but why nobody use him with Draco Meteor? Removed.

Somethings are banned, but return nerfed.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:49 AM, Ziiiiio said:

Sand devil + Garchomp in OU.

Before that, I think everyone is bothered by a Garchomp like this:

`When your Choice scarf Darmanitian uses U-Turn against Garchomp, it is missed because of this move in Sand weather and is finally killed by Earthquake.

·Your Tyrannitar uses Ice-punch against Garchomp and is missed, resulting to a passive situation for Tyrannitar player.

I have a friend who loves playing sand team telling me that if Tyranitar meets Rotom-wash, switch to your Garchomp directly because his pump simply doesn't hit you in sand weather:/ 

This setting makes the instability of the battle become too high. Although the unstable battle is the charm of Pokemon, But I think the Garchonp + Sand devil exceeds the standard, so I want to make the following modification suggestions:

1.When Garchomp + Sand devil was combined, his Sand devil no longer took effect on 100% probability moves.

2.Ban it.

I use Garchomp myself, but every player who likes it will not like it because it can dodge at sand weather.

Devs will not ban Garchomp. Without HA, garchomp doesn't have any ability to use. So, until HA being added in game, garchomp cannot be banned, because doesn't exist nothing to nerf and make him return.

The max that can be maked, is deactivate Sand Veil's effects in PvP.

Edited by caioxlive13
  • 2 weeks later...
于2021/12/25 AM4点25分,caioxlive13 说:

Hello. Too much things changed. 

Wobb is unbanned, but you checked Shadow Tag? Nerfed. Only will work for 3 turns.
Garchomp are back to OU, but you check their movepool? Swords Dance Removed.
Hydreigon doesn't banned, but why nobody use him with Draco Meteor? Removed.

Somethings are banned, but return nerfed.

Ban sand devil does not means it is strong or not, Just like king's rock Cloyster.

It just makes the match too random and out of control...because sand devil can dodge move with the 100% possibility of hitting.

Is Sand devil makes Garchomp strong? The answer is no.

Remove sand devil will not effect the balance, that's my opinnon...

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 10:41 PM, Ziiiiio said:

Ban sand devil does not means it is strong or not, Just like king's rock Cloyster.

It just makes the match too random and out of control...because sand devil can dodge move with the 100% possibility of hitting.

Is Sand devil makes Garchomp strong? The answer is no.

Remove sand devil will not effect the balance, that's my opinnon...

I agree, isn't honest this.However, the problem is the Hypocrisy of players that ask ban of RNG-based strategys. He use the absurd wall cores that are ask for being haxed, and they are complaining about King's Rock Cloyster,and don't care about serene graçe togekiss,that have more flinch chance than Cloyster King's Rock, and with scarf, pass all OU mons that don't have buffed speed by any way(like Chlorophyll/Swift Swin/Dragon Dance/Sand Rush/Agility/Choice Scarf/Rock Polish/Shift Gear/Automotize).

1 hour ago, caioxlive13 said:

I agree, isn't honest this.However, the problem is the Hypocrisy of players that ask ban of RNG-based strategys. He use the absurd wall cores that are ask for being haxed, and they are complaining about King's Rock Cloyster,and don't care about serene graçe togekiss,that have more flinch chance than Cloyster King's Rock, and with scarf, pass all OU mons that don't have buffed speed by any way(like Chlorophyll/Swift Swin/Dragon Dance/Sand Rush/Agility/Choice Scarf/Rock Polish/Shift Gear/Automotize).

I don't know what point of comparison you're looking for, togekiss scarf can still be beaten by choice scarf users, which cloyster kings rock boost is very difficult, it's locked in one move, which makes it a problem to eliminate enemy pokes, (besides it only air slash flinches) well things like tyranitar enters the locked move and eats a pursuit, cloyster can choose between rock blast and icicle, with only steel resisting and curiously scizor, skarmory and ferro receive neutral if you choose one of those 2 btw And more importantly, togekiss needs a lot of flinches to eliminate defensive pokes that resist and even some sweepers, which is very difficult, I have not seen a toge scarf hitting 15 air slash and all of them retreat to get off a chansey, on the other hand,

cloyster he only needs a flinch to remove his control and proceed to sweep. I hope I was clear

Edited by Huargensy