OU Tier Discussion Request Thread

Munya

3 minutes ago, Kebaber said:

Not sure how Dugtrio on gen7 steroids is allowed in a meta lacking team preview. Anyone care to explain why?

No focus sash makes it very vulnerable to scarfers/priority and can't boldly switch into many things it may want to trap but yeah Orange has it right.

3 minutes ago, suigin said:

No focus sash makes it very vulnerable to scarfers/priority and can't boldly switch into many things it may want to trap but yeah Orange has it right.

Implying focus sash is the only thing Dugtrio can use...

CB Dug can be a very easy/cheap way of taking out something that otherwise annoys the rest of your team, it has priority too so depending on the situation, it can beat other priority mons too (ofc there's a bigger risk in there).

Orb Dug is pretty annoying too, yes it has less longetivity and it can't beat shit like Blissey anymore but it loses the downside of being locked to something that can be setup on. Saying it loses to Scarf/Priority/Jesus Christ is pretty meaningless since Dug will probably achieve what it's supposed to anyways (Uncompetitive RKs/Trapping). And even if none of that works, it can still make use of Memento.

5 hours ago, Kebaber said:

Implying focus sash is the only thing Dugtrio can use...

CB Dug can be a very easy/cheap way of taking out something that otherwise annoys the rest of your team, it has priority too so depending on the situation, it can beat other priority mons too (ofc there's a bigger risk in there).

Orb Dug is pretty annoying too, yes it has less longetivity and it can't beat shit like Blissey anymore but it loses the downside of being locked to something that can be setup on. Saying it loses to Scarf/Priority/Jesus Christ is pretty meaningless since Dug will probably achieve what it's supposed to anyways (Uncompetitive RKs/Trapping). And even if none of that works, it can still make use of Memento.

Yeah I think you're absolutely right that a lack of team preview makes dugtrio problematic but the consensus seems to be that we'll be getting working gen 4/5 abilities soon, and so the bulk of tiering speculation is probably premature at this point

edit: it doesn't hurt anything to discuss, though

Edited by Gunthug
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Wobbuffet is pretty too damn uncompetitive without team preview. Even with it obviously Wobbuffet still remains uncompetitive but at least you can blame the way you played the situation if you know it is there. However, without team preview the Wobbuffet user can remove a needed counter without making any predictions or "good plays" or can Encore lock something to basically cause a prediction-free set up sweep when the other player did no misplays and I think that's really unfair.

I'd hope it's either emphasized to devs to implement team preview asap or I'd wish there was a discussion to quick ban Wobbuffet until we get team preview. Again, it's not inherently OP Pokemon (in terms of risk/reward) - it's just ridiculously uncompetitive without team preview.

Edited by OrangeManiac
17 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

I think Wobbuffet is pretty too damn uncompetitive without team preview. Even with it obviously Wobbuffet still remains uncompetitive but at least you can blame the way you played the situation if you know it is there. However, without team preview the Wobbuffet user can remove a needed counter without making any predictions or "good plays" or can Encore lock something to basically cause a prediction-free set up sweep when the other player did no misplays and I think that's really unfair.

I'd hope it's either emphasized to devs to implement team preview asap or I'd wish there was a discussion to quick ban Wobbuffet until we get team preview. Again, it's not inherently OP Pokemon (in terms of risk/reward) - it's just ridiculously uncompetitive without team preview.

I'm not a advocate for team preview but with things like Wobb and Dugtrio going for trapping lately I couldn't agree more with either option. Quick banning seems like the better option though because I feel like with how much team preview has been discussed it probably won't be added.

4 hours ago, epicdavenport said:

I'm not a advocate for team preview but with things like Wobb and Dugtrio going for trapping lately I couldn't agree more with either option. Quick banning seems like the better option though because I feel like with how much team preview has been discussed it probably won't be added.

Team Preview has been confirmed for happening but as there are handful of other mechanics that are yet to be implemented (moves and abilities), I suppose they just have a priority over it.

Ban Volcarona.

Its too centralizer and doesnt have safe counters in the actual Pokemmo metagame, only way to stop is with stealth rock, blissey with toxic, carefull haryama, or maybe carefull snorlax trying to have rng with body slam.

With Stab fire and bug has a big couverage and if you add gigadrain or hp rock has practically perfect couverage and with 1 quiver danze can destroy almost everything.

Edited by soyhector
4 hours ago, soyhector said:

Ban Volcarona.

Its too centralizer and doesnt have safe counters in the actual Pokemmo metagame, only way to stop is with stealth rock, blissey with toxic, carefull haryama, or maybe carefull snorlax trying to have rng with body slam.

With Stab fire and bug has a big couverage and if you add gigadrain or hp rock has practically perfect couverage and with 1 quiver danze can destroy almost everything.

Have you considered Haze Mantine, Brave Bird Mandibuzz or Tentacruel Toxic? I heard they also work relatively well.