just have a UBER tier

fredrichnietze

Question

so after talking with some tier council and staff i learned of a plan for the future of the game. basically

"no ubers, everything that SHOULD belong in ubers is goign to get a nerf to keep it in ou. example would be changing say salamances base stats or they way a ability or move works for all pokemon because of one or two pokemon."

my suggestion is to scrap this idea and just do tier'ing the way we always have and have a ubers tier.

my reasoning,

one far reaching consequences. at the moment their are 9 ubers in pokemmo. 11 if you count mewtwo and rayquaza. the current plan for slamance is to nerf outrage for ALL 50 or so pokemon that can learn it all  across multiple tiers. this changes not just the one tier with the one pokemon but everything in every tier. many unintentional nerfs or buffs will be created by this ONE change upsetting the balance. gen 5 has 22 ubers if you count all the multi form pokes like arceus as a single uber. this will very significantly change the game from the original "balance" intended. we all know pokemon handhelds are not perfectly balanced. that is why we have tiers and tier councils int he first place. all of these changes will change the tiers, checks, and counters and then you will have to balance them again. but ubers arent allowed so MORE CHANGES. 

two learning curve. pokemon has a high learning curve. lots of people play pokemon as it is the highest gross'ing franchise and even if 1% bother to learn competitive thats still a lot of people. however with all these changes, pokemmo and black and white will be nothing alike. new players who learn here will google resources only to learn the wrong things. players who learned on showdown or whatever will come here and not understand what is going on and have to relearn everything from scratch, however with the bonus confusion of thinking they understand things that have been changed. this makes the already hard learning curve more difficult. new comp players might just decided that this is silly and go play showdown and not bother with pokemmo.

three cannon/tradition. similar to the competitive learning curve, but a bit different. the learning curve effects competitive players as casuals generally dont much to begin with. however they and others will see differences and think "this isnt right" and not know why it is like this. thats why we dont have create a pokemon shit. this is a pokemon game and it should follow pokemon mechanics as closely as possible. 

four you are making tier'ing much more difficult. for tier'ing their is a process. you have pokemon, you take usage stats and figure out what is and isnt OU then start banning things to ubers because invariably their are unbalanced things. for what i can only assume is do to a desire to get the tiers done quicker, the method is not being used this time. instead we have this arbitrary list made up by a handful of people. the problems with this is the complexity. no one person can hold in their head every possible use of 500+? 600+? pokemon with multiple ability's and hundreds of moves and items and builds. their are so many variables and things like "how common will X be?" are unknown. however this is a rabbit trail. on top of this added degree of difficulty with will make the process more faulty, we are changing the rules and mechanics on the fly to try to make things "not op". the problem with this is way back at #1 far reaching consequences. one little change changes hundreds of things and when you make a lot of changes all at once it becomes too much for anyone to KNOW what will happen for sure. this is going to have faults not because the tier council sucks or whatever but because too much is being asked of them. their are too many variables and possibility's to say what will or will not be broken when you add all these changes on top of the already difficult changes to tier'ing process. their will be things that are uber because their counters got nerfed and until we go live and test and find these things we wont know. then what? well MORE CHANGES and the process continues. the weeks become months and the months become years of changes to moves and ability's and mechanics. to try and prevent anything from being uber. and these changes lead to more things being uber as their counters get nerfed or somethign else gets buffed and unexpectedly a rarely used pokemon is now stupidly strong. 

having a ubers tier is the simplest way. yes some pokemon wont be usable in competitive play. this has always been this way. this will always be this way. their will always be pokemon that are either too strong or not strong enough to be used in a tier. trying to find the perfect solution for this is just going to create more problems. their is no perfect solution. going down the path of this folly will lead to a lot of dev time down the drain and a lot of people upset because the teirs are in chaos trying to get this sorted. every attempt to change the game to balance this will lead to more problems. their is no fix. pls dont so this.

4 hours ago, Xatu said:

The meta is going to become very stale very quickly with this "were too scared to ban" type of mentality.  People will just use whats "best".  Lets take a look at the mons that are even in "OU".  Lets start with walls since every team needs them.  Spec walls:  Chansey/Blissey, Jellicent? Tyran. + Sand???, Wobbu??????.  Cmon guys we have literally 0 options here.  Wobbu is a joke and un competitive,  if people start using it ppl will simply quit en masse.  Tyranitar is laughable to use as a dedicated spec wall because of typing and if they change the whether or it ends its over.  Jellicent sucks and is weak to 4 really common types... You know what this means right?  Players will be pushed into a position where Blissey is the only viable Special Wall.  This is absolutely awful.  We all thought chansey meta was bad, this will be much much worse.  Blissey will literally be on every single team.  No Bliss/chance?  Well prepare to have your team rekd by literally any sp atkr.  

"People will just use what's best" - I mean, that's the whole reason we have tiers - because if it weren't for UU or NU, those mons would rarely see usage in OU since theyre, well, not the best. But different people like different playstyles - and what's best changes depending on what kind of playstyle you want to use.

Special walls: (lists like 5 options) cmon guys we have literally 0 options here. Do you even read back what you type after you type it? Plus, I KNOW from your incessent whining about gen 5 in the first place that you have literally 0 experience with the tier, so how the fuck would you know which special walls will be viable? Chief example: your statement that Jellicent sucks lol.

I also love that you say blissey is the only viable special wall, when it's pretty outclassed by chansey w/eviolite. "Blissey will literally be on every single team." Man, you love pulling terrible assumptions out of your ass, don't you?

4 hours ago, Xatu said:

So how are we gonna deal with Bliss then...?  Hmm if only there was a physically attacking pokemon that could also trap Blissey.... Hmmmm

Players will be forced to run Dugtrio because its fucking OP

Why does something need to trap blissey in order to deal with it?

4 hours ago, Xatu said:

Awesome so how it is now 33% percent of your team is basically forced to be the same as everyone else.  And if you dont use these mons you will only suffer.

'

You heard it here from the comp expert, folks. Either use Blissey + Dugtrio on every team or you will only suffer

4 hours ago, Xatu said:

And we havent even gotten to both physical walls or any attackers you actually wanted to run.

For Phys walls the list is longer, steel types have high base Def, many resistances, etc.  Thing is ppl arent gonna run whacky wall Exca, Metagross, Magnezone.

List of Viable phyts walls:  Cloyster (outclassed), Ferrothorn (literally the best), Forretres, (outclassed), Skarm (eww)

Uh oh guys were facing a similar issue as to before:  Players are being pushed into a position where Ferrothorn is the best possible choice for them.

Yeah, let me know how that Blissey/Ferrothorn core works out for you lol. Can't see any weakness overlap there, whatosever

4 hours ago, Xatu said:

Ok so now 50% of your team is pretty much set in stone... I mean, everyone else is using whats best, and not using whats best will cause you to lose.... sooo.  You are practically forced to use these mons.

*hilarious, nonsensical ranking of the tier based on literally 0 knowledge that you have of how gen 5 works, or how our own pseudo gen 5 will work*

So at no point do you mention how or why this new attempt to solve problems with balance before they present themselves is harmful to the tier. Nor do you provide any solution whatsoever, you just end with a lame joke about TM06 which I'm genuinely surprised you knew was toxic. I'm happy to take you seriously once you produce even an ounce of credibility with your arguments, but in 2 long years of you pestering us I've yet to see it

3 hours ago, Gunthug said:

"People will just use what's best" - I mean, that's the whole reason we have tiers - because if it weren't for UU or NU, those mons would rarely see usage in OU since theyre, well, not the best. But different people like different playstyles - and what's best changes depending on what kind of playstyle you want to use.

Special walls: (lists like 5 options) cmon guys we have literally 0 options here. Do you even read back what you type after you type it? Plus, I KNOW from your incessent whining about gen 5 in the first place that you have literally 0 experience with the tier, so how the fuck would you know which special walls will be viable? Chief example: your statement that Jellicent sucks lol.

I also love that you say blissey is the only viable special wall, when it's pretty outclassed by chansey w/eviolite. "Blissey will literally be on every single team." Man, you love pulling terrible assumptions out of your ass, don't you?

You heard it here from the comp expert, folks. Either use Blissey + Dugtrio on every team or you will only suffer

Yeah, let me know how that Blissey/Ferrothorn core works out for you lol. Can't see any weakness overlap there, whatosever

So at no point do you mention how or why this new attempt to solve problems with balance before they present themselves is harmful to the tier. Nor do you provide any solution whatsoever, you just end with a lame joke about TM06 which I'm genuinely surprised you knew was toxic. I'm happy to take you seriously once you produce even an ounce of credibility with your arguments, but in 2 long years of you pestering us I've yet to see it

Wait... Gunt, you don't have cancer yet?

4 hours ago, Gunthug said:

I literally went through the list and analyzed all the mons with high enough stats to be classified as a wall. 

". Do you even read back what you type after you type it?" - Inflammatory remark made purposefully to try to belittle me or make me feel bad.  Please refrain from using inflammatory language

"Plus, I KNOW from your incessent whining about gen 5 in the first place that you have literally 0 experience with the tier" -  Another inflammatory response while you literally assume something and 

"Chief example: your statement that Jellicent sucks lol." - Yes in a meta without gen 4 mons and its typing is awful.  Ghost, Grass and electric are all commonly ran special moves.  

Another inflammatory statement for no reason.   In case you didnt read my thread i was basically calssing bliss/chance as the same thing.  Bliss IS technically better tho because chansey is easily nurfed with knockoff.   

I was looping the chansey and dugtrio thing together.  If you have an option to trap something and kill it when;

1. its a spec wall 

2. You have a phys attacking mon that TRAPS 

Notice how i followed it  the statement Players will be forced to run Dugtrio because its fucking OP.  Thats it dude, its OP.  People will run it en MASSE because its OP as hell. 

Yup and the ways the tiers used to be is a perfect example of how toxic it is.    60% chansey rate.... That was YOUR doing bro and you seemed to be ok with it lmao.

I said later the weaknesses could be covered with other mons.  And you dont have to use forre, use cloyster or w/e lmao, forre is just better minus fire weakness which is negligible.  

So at no point do you mention how or why this new attempt to solve problems with balance before they present themselves is harmful to the tier.

I mentioned it pretty clearly in all the mons i brought up.  You are building a recipe for really centralized gameplay permanently by eliminating the uber tier.  All of my statements are made with the assumption that the current agenda is to never bring back the tier.

Nor do you provide any solution whatsoever

The solution is very implied.... I posted in this thread, The solution is the uber tier one day.

, you just end with a lame joke about TM06 which I'm genuinely surprised you knew was toxic. I'm happy to take you seriously once you produce even an ounce of credibility with your arguments, but in 2 long years of you pestering us I've yet to see it

Another inflammatory comment for no reason 

5 hours ago, Gunthug said:

obama-mic-drop-gif-1.gif

Looking at Smogon's OU List here is the list of OU mons. (Yes I know Smogon can't really be applied here but it can be used as a reference when we do have Gen 5 for the OU won't add legendaries though and obviously Gen 4)

Alakazam (Sp Atker)
Blissey (Sp Wall)
Breloom (Phys atker)

Cloyster (Shit phys wall might actually be about the shell smash life)
Conkeldurr (Phys atker)
Donphan (Phys atker/phys wall depending on what you do with it)

Dragonite (Beastly)
Dugtrio (phys atker)
Ferrothorn (phys wall especially with rocky helmet)

Forretress (Suicide Lead)

Gengar (Sp atker)

Gliscor (phys wall maybe?)
Gyarados (phys atker)

Haxorus (phys atker)

Hydreigon (sp atker usually with choice scarf)

Jellicent (Sp Wall 105 SpD and 100 HP come on now this is a sp wall with an immunity)
Jolteon (Pivot/Sp atker)
Mamoswine (suicide lead maybe)
Metagross (Phys Atker can be a special atker)
Ninetails (Decent SpDef wouldn't say sp wall though with almost low HP)

Politoed (Sp Wall)
Reuniclus (Decent Bulk generally used with Trick Room though)
Salamance (Phys Atker)

Scizor (Phys attacker if Technician Choice Band/Phys Wall ish if defog)
Skarmory (Phys Wall mostly spike setter)
Starmie (Sp Atker)
Tentacruel (Has good special bulk and aight HP so sp wall?)
Tyranitar (Sand Stream + Assault Vest = possible Sp Wall?)
Vaporeon (its vaporeon should I need to explain this?)
Volcarona (Could be a sp wall but mostly going to be sp atker)

For the BL which is considered OU

Chandelure (Sp Atker generally either scarfed or specs)
Chansey (Sp Wall)
Frosslass (Suicide lead)

Gothitelle (has decent spdef but hp is on low side)
Wobbuffet (We all know what this is)

So we have potentially 13 walls. I have no idea what Xatu is talking about but you know. Hope this provides some insight of what we will have available. 

Edited by Kite
1 hour ago, Xatu said:

I literally went through the list and analyzed all the mons with high enough stats to be classified as a wall. 

Clearly that's all you looked at if you consider Cloyster a wall. You also said skarm is "eww" when it remains one of the best physical walls, gets access to roost, stealth rock and spikes.

1 hour ago, Xatu said:

Players will be forced to run Dugtrio because its fucking OP.

Not when the tier has multiple viable fighting types that can take advantage of chansey/blissey. They also demolish your brilliant Bliss/Ferro core.

1 hour ago, Xatu said:

"Chief example: your statement that Jellicent sucks lol." - Yes in a meta without gen 4 mons and its typing is awful.  Ghost, Grass and electric are all commonly ran special moves.  

How does a lack of some gen 4 mons tie to Jellicent's viability? 

2 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

Clearly that's all you looked at if you consider Cloyster a wall. You also said skarm is "eww" when it remains one of the best physical walls, gets access to roost, stealth rock and spikes.

Yeah compared to ferro it sux

Not when the tier has multiple viable fighting types that can take advantage of chansey/blissey. They also demolish your brilliant Bliss/Ferro core.

LMAO did you forget about switching????  Also the fighting types you speak of are slow as all hell

How does a lack of some gen 4 mons tie to Jellicent's viability? 

Less things to use it with

1 hour ago, Xatu said:

LMAO did you forget about switching????  Also the fighting types you speak of are slow as all hell

Ferro doesn't get instant recovery, not every fighting type is slow even so most are faster than both Bliss and Ferro + swapping out is a bad argument to make when it comes to these discussions (not to mention if those are your walls what are you swapping out to? Because it will take a heavy hit if it's not bulky)

When it comes to Jellicent it's better to look at it's resistances over it's weaknesses. Immune to 3 typings + instant recovery makes it a very good Pokemon. I can't think of a Sinnoh Pokemon we won't have that would provide a core with Jellicent that it otherwise can't live without. Arguably it's best pair comes with Krookodile baring the grass weakness

6 hours ago, Xatu said:

Xatu please. 

Cloyster won't be used as wall, he has access to shell smash which makes him a viable sweeper if he manages to setup. With white herb/Kings Rock, he's really strong, plus threatens the dragon meta if he manages to setup.
Forget about switching? What about that? What good is a blissey you can't keep on the field? How about gengar who can just come in and Sub on your chansey and laugh at you?
Less things to use jellicent with? Water absorb, ghost typing to spinblock plus nulify some threats, what does that have to do.