Halloween 2017

Xatu

Question

Holiday events are integral to the MMO genre.  They are a way to give long time players something to look forward to and feel rewarded for their patronage. 

Normally the holiday events include exclusive items.  Understandably so these items should not be reused, as doing so would remove the "limited" nature of the item.  Instead however; we can supplement these exclusive items with things that already carry great value. 

super rare - donators pass, pc expansion pass, makeover pass, vanities currently in shop

mildly rare - choice band, pvp mystery box

uncommon vanities - black cat ears, candy horns

common items -  Lava Cookies, Rare Candies, TMs for Shadow Ball etc

The only thing youd be changing here is the contents of the halloween goodie bags, and possibly adding 2017 to the name/description.  The entire scripted sequence from last year would be reused otherwise.

Edited by Xatu

6 hours ago, Xatu said:

and pissing off the long term fanbase is an option here ? lmao

Which long term fan base are you refering to? Are they giving out more Desus and ES? Damn I must resell mine asap /s.

To answer your question, they don't have a huge team, so that they can divide tasks and still have a good progression towards the main goal, which is the unova release, be reasonable for god sake, you sound like a spoiled kid crying that other kids will have access to the same sports car that got re-released a few years later. (Kinda reminds me of the overwatch community crying that skins were not unique anymore, but then again this is not part of the gameplay, just a cosmetic, so I'm more than happy others will have access to them as I value them as cosmetics and not trade coins.)

Edited by redspawn
45 minutes ago, redspawn said:

Which long term fan base are you refering to? Are they giving out more Desus and ES? Damn I must resell mine asap /s.

To answer your question, they don't have a huge team, so that they can divide tasks and still have a good progression towards the main goal, which is the unova release, be reasonable for god sake, you sound like a spoiled kid crying that other kids will have access to the same sports car that got re-released a few years later. (Kinda reminds me of the overwatch community crying that skins were not unique anymore, but then again this is not part of the gameplay, just a cosmetic, so I'm more than happy others will have access to them as I value them as cosmetics and not trade coins.)

Be nice, i can understand someone upset about not getting halloween, i'm very upset myself, we only have TWO events the whole year to escape from routine, and one could not be done, you could say you disagree but don't throw insults out of nowhere.

3 hours ago, SodaNaranja said:

Be nice, i can understand someone upset about not getting halloween, i'm very upset myself, we only have TWO events the whole year to escape from routine, and one could not be done, you could say you disagree but don't throw insults out of nowhere.

Some people seem to not understand, their team is already small, and I think they somewhat lack organization. This guy in particular, has no clue of most, you can check by yourself in most threads, yet he jumps to conclusions and towards people who are already puting a few man hours into something else more important than a measly event rn. Also, what is there of 'rare' in halloween or christmas costumes? Is there any hard to find for sale? Personally I don't use any vanity, but recently sold 2 jack o-lantern, 6 skulls, 1 broom, few scythes, and they keep on showing in gtl every week. So no, ''uniqueness'' isn't happening, nor is the price climbing more anytime soon unless someone hoards them and someone else decides to overpay, supply and demand rule.

This being said, they being given now wouldn't harm to much. Donator is their way of making some cash to keep the server, you, are playing in. Hosting doens't come out cheap, even on small projects like pokemmo it can be expensive, and if they just give them away and drop donator price, everyone will get 1 or 2 by the end of halloween, that would be horrible to the server, same applies to any RP item.

Also the ''long term community will be pissed of'', I'm a 2013 player and I have no problem with it. RN economy is broken and cash is meaningless for most of it, cause of how easy it is to get, so no, saying a costume has a ton of value to it, unless speaking of ES or higher values(35m+), then the costumes holds near no value, uniqueness = 0, rarity = rarer than overcoat lmao.

Plus new players might be interesting in taking part of getting some of the old costumes and get more interested into the game, the competitive scene RN is dead, you only see tours with the same people in it. Rankeds? 599elo top 100 lol, you can hit 599 in 2-3 days, so yeah, this sounds like words coming from someone who didn't thought what's good and whatnot for the game, only his personal interess.

TL;DR; peoples are selfish, guy crying about ''uniques'', my personal opinion on the matter. If you ask me, do I care about uniques, no I don't, am I a new player? No i'm not, probably older than most of the current community, lets be fair. Do I care that costumes will lose market value? No I dont, costumes shouldn't hold a huge market value other than real uniques like Kyu, that said, I do believe more rare uniques should exist, like 20 of a batch or something. Halloween etc, I dont even consider them uniques as they're so cheap and way to themed based to be interesting to use on a daily basis as a costume.

Edited by redspawn

I have to agree with redspawn on some points here. I'm also an old player and do not understand the "old players will be mad" thing. I would understand completely if there were vanities released exclusively for an anniversary, or player loyalty (logged in X amount of days in a row) or other milestones that players had to work to earn, but that's not the case here. A player who was fortunate enough to have been playing the day(s) of a holiday event shouldn't fall under this category in my opinion. Some people had to work, had school, were sick, had family obligations, didn't know about the game yet, etc. The Halloween event is a holiday event and is meant to be a celebration of that holiday by all as a community. This is also an MMO where new players join every day. A lot of people missed out and I think preventing them from ever having the same chances we did is wrong. Every single player should be able to participate. That being said, I understand that some of the vanities were a limited time item but this doesn't necessarily mean they meant a one-time limited time item. What other MMOs have you played that do not reuse the holiday event items?

A couple of people are complaining about the value of the items but it would not be any different than the original release. Those of you that were there should remember the: initially expensive -> now everyone has one -> price plummets -> time passes, people quit -> less available -> price and "rarity" increases -> value goes back up. If anything, I assumed people would be happy about getting a whole new batch of these to hoard and sell later. The whole value argument doesn't make a lot of sense.

In this case, where there wasn't time to create new special Halloween vanities, I just can't see any reason not to reuse items. It would make the most sense and I'm sure people understand the special case this year of a new release coming at the same time as a holiday and it merits a quick and dirty reuse of last year's Halloween event. I could be completely wrong here, but I haven't spoken to a single person yet who disagrees with this (except one person about the reuse of vanity). We could always create a poll to find out.

The not understanding that perspective thing isn't really an excuse to ignore the mindset though, that sort of person does exist, if it's a view you can understand or not.  I for one like that I have a soulbound backpack from 2 years ago that nobody will ever be able to obtain again.  It's not great that nothing was put together for this year but the future is vast, more events will come, and a update is right around the corner

12 minutes ago, Munya said:

The not understanding that perspective thing isn't really an excuse to ignore the mindset though, that sort of person does exist, if it's a view you can understand or not.  I for one like that I have a soulbound backpack from 2 years ago that nobody will ever be able to obtain again.  It's not great that nothing was put together for this year but the future is vast, more events will come, and a update is right around the corner

Exclusive items must stay exclusive. I agree with you. Vanities from previous halloweens should also not be repeated.

@redspawn Jack O lanturn is unobtainable in any means. You can't get it unless you buy it. Same with ghost costume and broom. They will just keep rising. So no, bringing them back would be bad af. I think @Xatu has a nice idea.

Edited by Ichigo

@Kole 

VX4QgYw.png

The red line shows from the beginning of the Scythe's life to the future without re-implementation.

The blue line shows the value of the Scythe if it were to be re-implemented.

As you can see, there is a clear loss in value for the old players. The only way to take advantage of this would be to sell the scythe now in anticipation of re-implementation and then buy again after the crash, but that's a gamble. Either way, there will be winners and losers. The question is, do you want to keep it how it is, keeping in mind that no one really complained about it before it was made a hypothetical possibility? Or do you want to change the status quo and piss off the current owners of the vanities?

From a game management perspective, I'd pick the former.

It's worked well for runescape, and I don't see why we shouldn't follow their example in this aspect of MMO's.

44 minutes ago, Ichigo said:

Exclusive items must stay exclusive. I agree with you. Vanities from previous halloweens should also not be repeated.

@redspawn Jack O lanturn is unobtainable in any means. You can't get it unless you buy it. Same with ghost costume and broom. They will just keep rising. So no, bringing them back would be bad af. I think @Xatu has a nice idea.

No they don't. Exclusive items were exclusing for that year, so you had 1 year ahead of the others, or 2 years for those who just started. Jack o lantern is very obtainable in GTL, and there's at least 3-4 popping in there every week for 3-3.5m(sold plenty this month.). Ghost costume is the same and so is broom. They won't keep rising if supply and demand doens't meet. And don't even say that it is a loss for other players, I miself am a 2013 player and I can't care less about a 3m vanity. Plus it might catch newer players into the game, and it might also keep them interested. For you this doens't matter as you shiny hunt, but as a competitive player, the competitive scene is pretty much the same people all the time, do you think that is good? Cause I don't. Do you think the top 100 requirements to hit it is good? I don't. So in perspective, if an event even with older costumes is needed, let that happen. It brings more good than harm to the table, some of you might be pissed off q.q, but in the end, is just a low worth 3m costume. It's not like they're bringing ES or Desu back.

''not obtainable from npcs'' =\= not obtainable. Dirty cheap costumes will always be obtainable.

Edited by redspawn
4 hours ago, redspawn said:

Some people seem to not understand, their team is already small, and I think they somewhat lack organization. This guy in particular, has no clue of most, you can check by yourself in most threads, yet he jumps to conclusions and towards people who are already puting a few man hours into something else more important than a measly event rn. Also, what is there of 'rare' in halloween or christmas costumes? Is there any hard to find for sale? Personally I don't use any vanity, but recently sold 2 jack o-lantern, 6 skulls, 1 broom, few scythes, and they keep on showing in gtl every week. So no, ''uniqueness'' isn't happening, nor is the price climbing more anytime soon unless someone hoards them and someone else decides to overpay, supply and demand rule.

This being said, they being given now wouldn't harm to much. Donator is their way of making some cash to keep the server, you, are playing in. Hosting doens't come out cheap, even on small projects like pokemmo it can be expensive, and if they just give them away and drop donator price, everyone will get 1 or 2 by the end of halloween, that would be horrible to the server, same applies to any RP item.

Also the ''long term community will be pissed of'', I'm a 2013 player and I have no problem with it. RN economy is broken and cash is meaningless for most of it, cause of how easy it is to get, so no, saying a costume has a ton of value to it, unless speaking of ES or higher values(35m+), then the costumes holds near no value, uniqueness = 0, rarity = rarer than overcoat lmao.

Plus new players might be interesting in taking part of getting some of the old costumes and get more interested into the game, the competitive scene RN is dead, you only see tours with the same people in it. Rankeds? 599elo top 100 lol, you can hit 599 in 2-3 days, so yeah, this sounds like words coming from someone who didn't thought what's good and whatnot for the game, only his personal interess.

TL;DR; peoples are selfish, guy crying about ''uniques'', my personal opinion on the matter. If you ask me, do I care about uniques, no I don't, am I a new player? No i'm not, probably older than most of the current community, lets be fair. Do I care that costumes will lose market value? No I dont, costumes shouldn't hold a huge market value other than real uniques like Kyu, that said, I do believe more rare uniques should exist, like 20 of a batch or something. Halloween etc, I dont even consider them uniques as they're so cheap and way to themed based to be interesting to use on a daily basis as a costume.

I agree with you, i'm already happy enough with the current staff team an developers, i'm very happy and thankful on the effort they've put into making Unova because i might not know but it looks like a lot of work. I don't even care if they don't make Halloween at all, yes it would be alet down but i would get over it if they gave me a solid reason, but a reason such as "it would be a copy paste from last year, killing vanity prices (which is not completely true) and pissing old players. The worst of all, some people seem to agree.

I kind of find this selfish and biased by old players.

31 minutes ago, Gilan said:

@Kole 

VX4QgYw.png

The red line shows from the beginning of the Scythe's life to the future without re-implementation.

The blue line shows the value of the Scythe if it were to be re-implemented.

As you can see, there is a clear loss in value for the old players. The only way to take advantage of this would be to sell the scythe now in anticipation of re-implementation and then buy again after the crash, but that's a gamble. Either way, there will be winners and losers. The question is, do you want to keep it how it is, keeping in mind that no one really complained about it before it was made a hypothetical possibility? Or do you want to change the status quo and piss off the current owners of the vanities?

From a game management perspective, I'd pick the former.

It's worked well for runescape, and I don't see why we shouldn't follow their example in this aspect of MMO's.

I understand tho ose that bought the item in time would feel pissed because they will no longer have a golden mine in their inventory, literally if you buy 20 of this vanities on time you wouldn't have to farm for a whole year worth as you can sell them later on, if scythe were to return every year or every two year or so would be better than scythe's value raching infinity. Here a no lettered graph because i'm lazy: 

vz8z0LG.png

Spoiler

om6lSna.png

35 minutes ago, redspawn said:

No they don't. Exclusive items were exclusing for that year, so you had 1 year ahead of the others, or 2 years for those who just started. Jack o lantern is very obtainable in GTL, and there's at least 3-4 popping in there every week for 3-3.5m(sold plenty this month.). Ghost costume is the same and so is broom. They won't keep rising if supply and demand doens't meet. And don't even say that it is a loss for other players, I miself am a 2013 player and I can't care less about a 3m vanity. Plus it might catch newer players into the game, and it might also keep them interested. For you this doens't matter as you shiny hunt, but as a competitive player, the competitive scene is pretty much the same people all the time, do you think that is good? Cause I don't. Do you think the top 100 requirements to hit it is good? I don't. So in perspective, if an event even with older costumes is needed, let that happen. It brings more good than harm to the table, some of you might be pissed off q.q, but in the end, is just a low worth 3m costume. It's not like they're bringing ES or Desu back.

''not obtainable from npcs'' =\= not obtainable. Dirty cheap costumes will always be obtainable.

Exactly you're a comp player. You don't know the market better then shiny traders. FYI desu is in mystery boxes and so is Kyu. There are more kyu hats then jack o lanturns. "Supply and demand doesn't meet" Do you have any idea what rarity means? When something is rare it becomes worth a hell of a lot more. Jack o lanturns was like never in gtl since this week so don't talk trash bruh... I view gtl everyday. At one stage the blue bird hat was 25 mil + now u can get it 300k since it was in last year's halloween and added to boxes iirc. So before you comment about something make sure you know what you saying.

7 minutes ago, Ichigo said:

Exactly you're a comp player. You don't know the market better then shiny traders. FYI desu is in mystery boxes and so is Kyu. There are more kyu hats then jack o lanturns. "Supply and demand doesn't meet" Do you have any idea what rarity means? When something is rare it becomes worth a hell of a lot more. Jack o lanturns was like never in gtl since this week so don't talk trash bruh... I view gtl everyday. At one stage the blue bird hat was 25 mil + now u can get it 300k since it was in last year's halloween and added to boxes iirc. So before you comment about something make sure you know what you saying.

Exactly, they are, but the chance is so little, chances are you wont see a desu in more than 1k boxes. Ofc there are, it's older than jack iirc. Rarity comes when people hoard stuff or the supply was little. 1) supply was big enough, 2) people are not hoarding them and those that are, don't hold near enough of the market for it to be problematic. Blue nest never sold for 25m+, I had one of the firsts, sold for 3.8m after days of trying to sell it, had a peak of interess if I'm not wrong at 6-7m died shortly after, if it went to 25m after I quit for 6 months back then I dunno, but don't remember coming to a 25m bird hat. Shiny traders know more than me? Please teach me :) I promise you I never shiny traded before Halo :^). Also no they don't, they hold the same knowledge as market is pretty simple and straight forward, and what does that have to do with anything lmao. RN shiny trading is dead, the community is dead, so they aren't even relevant, nor do I shiny trade anymore due to the same problem.  Supply = Demand -> Stable price.  Supply > Demand -> unstable price. And I, or any old player can break a market as simple as that one cause economy is broken and rn what you hold 1 year to get 3m value of, can be made in 30 minutes in 3 days with harvesting on alts, given you have enough.

Also there's a vast difference between someone who buy a shiny to sell, and someone who collects them or hoards them and sells them when they get bored of them. The latter are just hoarders.

Edited by redspawn
1 minute ago, redspawn said:

Exactly, they are, but the chance is so little, chances are you wont see a desu in more than 1k boxes. Ofc there are, it's older than jack iirc. Rarity comes when people hoard stuff or the supply was little. 1) supply was big enough, 2) people are not hoarding them and those that are, don't hold near enough of the market for it to be problematic. Blue nest never sold for 25m+, I had one of the firsts, sold for 3.8m after days of trying to sell it, had a peak of interess if I'm not wrong at 6-7m died shortly after, if it went to 25m after I quit for 6 months back then I dunno, but don't remember coming to a 25m bird hat. Shiny traders know more than me? Please teach me :) I promise you I never shiny traded before Halo :^). Also no they don't, they hold the same knowledge as market is pretty simple and straight forward, and what does that have to do with anything lmao. RN shiny trading is dead, the community is dead, so they aren't even relevant, nor do I shiny trade anymore due to the same problem.  Supply = Demand -> Stable price.  Supply > Demand -> unstable price. And I, or any old player can break a market as simple as that one cause economy is broken and rn what you hold 1 year to get 3m value of, can be made in 30 minutes in 3 days with harvesting on alts, given you have enough.

Did I mention Pillar of hats was 24mil+ at one stage??  U didn't have one of the firsts lmao. The firsts was given in artist events such as writing etc. The days of which baron was around. Doesn't matter it's called long term investing. Scythes were selling 1.5 now they 3+. Do you understand that concept? There are players with 20+ of em which would amount to 60 mil now and they paid like 30. So you might understand why people get pissed. All is irrelevant cuz it won't be repeated x). End of discussion.

28 minutes ago, SodaNaranja said:

I understand tho ose that bought the item in time would feel pissed because they will no longer have a golden mine in their inventory, literally if you buy 20 of this vanities on time you wouldn't have to farm for a whole year worth as you can sell them later on, if scythe were to return every year or every two year or so would be better than scythe's value raching infinity. Here a no lettered graph because i'm lazy: 

vz8z0LG.png

Reveal hidden contents

om6lSna.png

Your graph is not representative of what would happen given your proposal (mine was simply for a 1-time reintroduction). Ignoring the fact that the same vanity being released for the holiday event every year is lame and uncreative; your graph should ultimately slope down, as the net amount of sycthes that stick to the server would almost definitely be greater than the effect of new players entering inbetween the events. So, with your idea, the scythe would become very cheap (as everyone would have multiple of them) in the not-too-distant future.

And, for the record, my graph was very lenient to the opposing viewpoint. The blue line on my graph would not increase at the same rate as the red line, because of the effect of shattered confidence in the vanity never being released again.

Also, it’s not like the golden mine is exclusive for x players. Anyone can buy into it and partake. There are enough holiday items on the market that you should be able to make a trade fairly quickly.

Just now, Ichigo said:

Did I mention Pillar of hats was 24mil+ at one stage??  U didn't have one of the firsts lmao. The firsts was given in artist events such as writing etc. The days of which baron was around. Doesn't matter it's called long term investing. Scythes were selling 1.5 now they 3+. Do you understand that concept? There are players with 20+ of em which would amount to 60 mil now and they paid like 30. So you might understand why people get pissed. All is irrelevant cuz it won't be repeated x). End of discussion.

baron still around.  Scythes in last halloween sold for 4.5m the first day, so if you really wanted profit, you'd have done it day 1#. I also have my fair share of one of the halloween costumes, and I'll keep on buying every cheap I find, doens't mean I care the least if they lose value, always had them and never hit ''poverty'', also, where was it saying they were exclusive? Please enlight me cause maybe I miss something last 2 halloweens. I'm seriously hoping they repeat so you and everyone else gets less spoiled and less delusional. 

2 minutes ago, Gilan said:

Your graph is not representative of what would happen given your proposal (mine was simply for a 1-time reintroduction). Ignoring the fact that the same vanity being released for the holiday event every year is lame and uncreative; your graph should ultimately slope down, as the net amount of sycthes that stick to the server would almost definitely be greater than the effect of new players entering inbetween the events. So, with your idea, the scythe would become very cheap (as everyone would have multiple of them) in the not-too-distant future.

And, for the record, my graph was very lenient to the opposing viewpoint. The blue line on my graph would not increase at the same rate as the red line, because of the effect of shattered confidence in the vanity never being released again.

Also, it’s not like the golden mine is exclusive for x players. Anyone can buy into it and partake. There are enough holiday items on the market that you should be able to make a trade fairly quickly.

So you are in favor of vanities value rising to infinite? There goes all the "If you want it just farm it" thing, that's a model that works awfully well to old players and awfully bad to new ones, you can just buy a thing and stop playing at all waiting in verm until the price rises since it will never see a way to return to the game, in the case of old players buy it while it's still 5m~10m or not buy it at all. Dunno, just my oppinion.

17 minutes ago, redspawn said:

baron still around.  Scythes in last halloween sold for 4.5m the first day, so if you really wanted profit, you'd have done it day 1#. I also have my fair share of one of the halloween costumes, and I'll keep on buying every cheap I find, doens't mean I care the least if they lose value, always had them and never hit ''poverty'', also, where was it saying they were exclusive? Please enlight me cause maybe I miss something last 2 halloweens. I'm seriously hoping they repeat so you and everyone else gets less spoiled and less delusional. 

The pumpkin backpack and hockey mask are exclusive af.  Yeh you should read better. Less spoiled? LMFAO You're the only one that's delusional if you think they gonna repeat last halloween lol.

Just now, Ichigo said:

The pumpkin backpack and hockey mask are exclusive af.  Yeh you should read better. Less spoiled? LMFAO You're the only one that's delusional if you think they gonna repeat last halloween lol.

I'm not saying they will, I'm hoping they will, so you cry and every else who's spoiled cry while we laugh cause we're not childish like some of you happen to be. You included. Ofc pumpkin backpack and hockey mask are exclusive, but are you really worried about those? Both you and me know you are not, you only care about your own profit like 99.9% of the global population, shaolin monks and a few other communities apart . Was expecting a more mature opinion out of you honestly, cause you seemed pretty reasonable and down to earth. With that being said, I will not answer further to not change the subject of this thread. But just keep in mind, just because you have something doens't mean others can't have equal, even if 1 year later. You wanna know something WAY more exclusive than this that was removed? Not entirely but near complete removed? I'll give you an example.

Snow bunny nidalee skin - League Of Legends, an account with this, previous to legacy skin introduction would sell for near 2000 euros. Now everyone has it, am I mad that I was an older player there aswell and got it the legit way, the first time they introduced? No I'm not, more people happy = game lives longer, rn I couldn't care less about personal gain in pokemmo as if I need cash all it takes is me harvesting leppas, the same applies to anyone and any other farming method, economy is broken and a 3m costume is virtually worth nothing, plus why cry over a bunch of pixels?

2 minutes ago, redspawn said:

I'm not saying they will, I'm hoping they will, so you cry and every else who's spoiled cry while we laugh cause we're not childish like some of you happen to be. You included. Ofc pumpkin backpack and hockey mask are exclusive, but are you really worried about those? Both you and me know you are not, you only care about your own profit like 99.9% of the global population, shaolin monks and a few other communities apart . Was expecting a more mature opinion out of you honestly, cause you seemed pretty reasonable and down to earth. With that being said, I will not answer further to not change the subject of this thread. But just keep in mind, just because you have something doens't mean others can't have equal, even if 1 year later. You wanna know something WAY more exclusive than this that was removed? Not entirely but near complete removed? I'll give you an example.

Snow bunny nidalee skin - League Of Legends, an account with this, previous to legacy skin introduction would sell for near 2000 euros. Now everyone has it, am I mad that I was an older player there aswell and got it the legit way, the first time they introduced? No I'm not, more people happy = game lives longer, rn I couldn't care less about personal gain in pokemmo as if I need cash all it takes is me harvesting leppas, the same applies to anyone and any other farming method, economy is broken and a 3m costume is virtually worth nothing, plus why cry over a bunch of pixels?

Mate I don't play league of legends, couldn't afford the data for that. I don't care about my own profit. It's like you said the trade is dead. Won't argue against that. But what I am saying is that instead of repeating the vanities they can do smth else. You know what FUCK it let them repeat it. I don't care about scythes and other shit. We all here to enjoy game so noobs can have some fun too. I'll be content with that. And you're right I am reasonable and down to earth.

But just leave the hockey mask and pn backpack out.

What if

4oxdDnc.png

talking theory, u lose no long term value by reimplementing it once.

Only way to lose real value is to constantly redistribute it every X time, X being short enought to not let value go close enought to the "long term value"

q4uoOcD.png

Edited by Raederz