PTS HYPE

I agree with going ahead on the Halloween event vs not doing one at all. I also agree with it being completely ok to add 2015 and 2016 Halloween vanities in. What old players would be upset by this? I'm not upset by it. I think it's a great idea considering how close release is to the event, a very happy compromise in my opinion. Let's be honest, we're going to chew through that PTS pretty fast like we always do.

7 minutes ago, Kole said:

I agree with going ahead on the Halloween event vs not doing one at all. I also agree with it being completely ok to add 2015 and 2016 Halloween vanities in. What old players would be upset by this? I'm not upset by it. I think it's a great idea considering how close release is to the event, a very happy compromise in my opinion. Let's be honest, we're going to chew through that PTS pretty fast like we always do.

Well blatantly assuming all old players wouldn't be upset just because you aren't is a pretty bold statement in itself, so idk man

9 minutes ago, Kole said:

I actually would be upset about reintroducing old event vanities.

Just now, Spaintakula said:

Well blatantly assuming all old players wouldn't be upset just because you aren't is a pretty bold statement in itself, so idk man

I'm not sure where you read that, but try again. I asked what old players would be upset by it, and then made a statement that /I/ wouldn't be.

Just now, Spaintakula said:

I still think new players and not so new players and some old players will be more upset if there's no event this year.

So if it a number thing i think more people will be upset if we don't have halloween.

2 minutes ago, Kole said:

I'm not sure where you read that, but try again. I asked what old players would be upset by it, and then made a statement that /I/ wouldn't be.

Doesn't change the fact that you still didn't count in the people that already brought it up as a reason in the first place. That or eye problems, one is for sure.

Just now, SodaNaranja said:

I still think new players and not so new players and some old players will be more upset if there's no event this year.

So if it a number thing i think more people will be upset if we don't have halloween.

Pretty sure half of the old old players wouldn't care, and the other half would give up after they realize it's another grindfest to get mediocre items that you can buy during or after the event. But yeah, I'd like to see someone say it wasn't a grindfest after the event ends.

Edited by Spaintakula
32 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

M8, I am insulted.

Honestly though, while there might just be enough time to whip up some more - the state of the vanities on the PTS is fairly different from those of the live server.

It's unlikely to be worth the time try and see if we can dig up the previous tools/make the old vanities compatible with the new ones, and then have to make sure that the Halloween vanities are then given their new IDs when we finally patch with a new region.

On top of this, vanities take a lot longer to create than you might think - making things compatible with each other can eat into time, and those which are animated/exist as full costume sets often have to drawn individually for every frame (We use 51 of these - and that is just counting the overworld).

Not to mention the confusion a patch without an update will bring at this point.

It's a real shame, because we would have liked to have given you something new this Halloween, but we've been really squeezed for development time.

Reveal hidden contents

Also

>8-bit

pls

This is just curiosity of mine, but why not delay the halloween event(yes I know people will be upset), make a contest, and the 3 best designs would go into lootie bags or something? You save yourself time, people feel rewarded for taking their time to design stuff, and is a win-win situation, people might be upset but they'll be busy with PTS anyway to full take on the halloween event.

5 minutes ago, redspawn said:

You save yourself time

Because in reality I don't, at the end of a contest like this, I'd need to redraw the designs myself and make sure they were fully compatible with our base sprite/other vanity items.

The ideas themselves aren't really the hard part - and I have a thread full of ideas from players in the Suggestions Box; it's the creation of the items that takes the most time.

3 hours ago, Kyu said:

We're considering not running it as it seemed everyone was kinda disappointed last year and it wouldn't have any new vanities. At this point, we're not willing to do a live server update purely for a Halloween event (the data structure for many things which would be required, such as the character addons, have diverged so significantly in the past year that I'm not even sure we have the tools to backport things to live's branch), so you'd either have literally the same event as last year with all of its cosmetics duplicated, or nothing.

I'm not sure which is better, personally; since we put a lot of emphasis on yearly-exclusive vanities for holiday events, duplicating them would set precedent that holiday vanities aren't really exclusive, and would screw with the vanity economy a bit, pissing off older players. Although I also understand that newer players, or just people who are bored waiting, would look forward to it. Dunno

I was looking forward to the Halloween Event... Even if it's the same. I mean it was the same between 2015 and 2016, with the only difference being the items... The year exclusive vanity issue could be resolved by either just including specific vanities from each year (like maybe 1 or 2 from each year) and the rest being other items; some very useful (everstones), some not as useful (underpriced TMs)

1 minute ago, Darkshade said:

Hidden Abilities will not be available on release, but will come (in small increments) later, through dungeons.

pliz make it so we can make the HA pokemon male, rebreed with current comps, and let the HA pass to child. Not gamebreaking, also balances the economy and doens't feel as much as of a let down.

In addition... I think the 1 or 2 vanity from each year solves it because even though you're reusing and making it less exclusive, it's somewhat like a revisitation of previous years favorites... kind of like when an old video game is re-released with better graphics. People love nostalgic crap...

2 minutes ago, LoganKK said:

In addition... I think the 1 or 2 vanity from each year solves it because even though you're reusing and making it less exclusive, it's somewhat like a revisitation of previous years favorites... kind of like when an old video game is re-released with better graphics. People love nostalgic crap...

Keep in mind many of those vanities are valued at several million pokeyen each now. Reintroduce them with an event again, and they drop back down to 200k-800k each.

2 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Oh interesting, and what are your thoughts on legendaries then?

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned a little while back that legendary dungeons are next after some Unova post-release patches. Though I am sure someone else will find the quote of this instead of you having to take my word.

2 minutes ago, Gilan said:

Keep in mind many of those vanities are valued at several million pokeyen each now. Reintroduce them with an event again, and they drop back down to 200k-800k each.

This is the way of the mmo economy though. It wouldn't be long before they went right back up where they are atm.

I think the PTS can be postponed。

Many players are looking forward to Halloween, and this is disappointing news。

Even if there is no new vanity, they will not mind the vanity of previous years into this year's activities。

A lot of people want pumpkin bags