PTS HYPE

17 minutes ago, SodaNaranja said:

Can't wait, it feels like it's been since forever, however isn't this happening simultaneously with Halloween event?

We're considering not running it as it seemed everyone was kinda disappointed last year and it wouldn't have any new vanities. At this point, we're not willing to do a live server update purely for a Halloween event (the data structure for many things which would be required, such as the character addons, have diverged so significantly in the past year that I'm not even sure we have the tools to backport things to live's branch), so you'd either have literally the same event as last year with all of its cosmetics duplicated, or nothing.

I'm not sure which is better, personally; since we put a lot of emphasis on yearly-exclusive vanities for holiday events, duplicating them would set precedent that holiday vanities aren't really exclusive, and would screw with the vanity economy a bit, pissing off older players. Although I also understand that newer players, or just people who are bored waiting, would look forward to it. Dunno

Edited by Kyu
4 minutes ago, Kyu said:

We're considering not running it as it seemed everyone was kinda disappointed last year and it wouldn't have any new vanities. At this point, we're not willing to do a live server update purely for a Halloween event, so you'd either have (literally) the same event as last year with all of its cosmetics duplicated, or nothing.

I'm not sure which is better, personally; since we put a lot of emphasis on yearly-exclusive vanities for holiday events, duplicating them would set precedent that holiday vanities aren't really exclusive, and would screw with the vanity economy a bit, pissing off older players. Although I also understand that newer players, or just people who are bored waiting, would look forward to it. Dunno

People've been really upset over not getting Scary Hockey Mask or Pumpking Backpack, allowing player to get those non tradeable vanities again this year wouldn't be a bad idea in my oppinion, about the other vanities i personally wouldn't feel bad by being able to farm them again, it would indeed mess with the vanity economy, but i would prefer that over not having hallowing at all this year. Plus by updating @Darkshade could put some new vanities in the gift shop for us.

12 minutes ago, Kyu said:

We're considering not running it as it seemed everyone was kinda disappointed last year and it wouldn't have any new vanities. At this point, we're not willing to do a live server update purely for a Halloween event, so you'd either have (literally) the same event as last year with all of its cosmetics duplicated, or nothing.

What if it was the same event as last year but the vanities from 2 years ago (aka the ghost costume, witch broomstick, jack-o-lantern mask, vampire fangs)? Or another option would be to do the same event as last year but with vanities from both years. I realize even bringing this up will probably piss some people off who have stock in these vanities, but the Halloween event was the single best event (imo) I have seen in the entire last year playing this game and it would be such a let down to not see one this year. Also, to be fair we've already had 2 PTS's and they're not the most exciting thing at the moment, compared to halloween event which some players have been waiting a year for or never seen at all. Would be best to have both I think, even if it slows progress on unova by a week or so.

Edited by awkways
1 minute ago, Kyu said:

I think 2015 vanities returning would be cool, maybe with a mix of 2016 ones too. I don't know if that would be possible, but I'd enjoy doing the event for a chance to get some things I missed out on or sold.

16 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Holiday events are integral to the MMO genre, you could easily replace 2017 event items with extremely disposable, useful battle items for the rare drops.  Tradeable rare candies, everstones, choice bands, life balls, shards, pvp mystery box, vanities available in the shop now.  Pretty much any of the sink items.   And vitamins and blackglasses, lava cookies or w/e for the shitty items.

Many many players are online right now in anticipation of the holiday event, and many players have looked forward to the holidays events for a long time.  Dont let down players who have come to expect something from you.  But you are fully correct in your assertion not to recycle the exclusive vanities, as to not piss off old players who enjoy having an extremely rare item!  Just understand that you have options still.

Edited by Xatu
36 minutes ago, Kyu said:

You can just put in generic vanities from the gift shop, better than nothing. And if you are up for it perhaps a "voucher" (if you can create it without updating) which can later be exchanged for a special vanity for this year.

1 hour ago, Kyu said:

We're considering not running it as it seemed everyone was kinda disappointed last year and it wouldn't have any new vanities. At this point, we're not willing to do a live server update purely for a Halloween event (the data structure for many things which would be required, such as the character addons, have diverged so significantly in the past year that I'm not even sure we have the tools to backport things to live's branch), so you'd either have literally the same event as last year with all of its cosmetics duplicated, or nothing.

im all for not pissing off older players as a older players, but couldnt you dupe it and just replace a few vanitys with new ones and make them moniez? what couple days for ds to make a few simple 8 bit vanitys?

Edited by fredrichnietze
15 minutes ago, Kyu said:

2 weeks™

Not gonna lie, I love this new system that PokeMMO devs are using, where they actually give us ETAs instead of the usual "soontm" stuff. It actually builds a hell of a lotta hype, and it gives people something to get ready for. So thank you.

1 minute ago, Suneet said:

Not gonna lie, I love this new system that PokeMMO devs are using, where they actually give us ETAs instead of the usual "soontm" stuff. It actually builds a hell of a lotta hype, and it gives people something to get ready for. So thank you.

It's just hard to give right estimates. It's not that we don't want to give ETA's. It's rather we don't want to mention an ETA we can't deliver.

1 hour ago, fredrichnietze said:

what couple days for ds to make a few simple 8 bit vanitys?

M8, I am insulted.

Honestly though, while there might just be enough time to whip up some more - the state of the vanities on the PTS is fairly different from those of the live server.

It's unlikely to be worth the time try and see if we can dig up the previous tools/make the old vanities compatible with the new ones, and then have to make sure that the Halloween vanities are then given their new IDs when we finally patch with a new region.

On top of this, vanities take a lot longer to create than you might think - making things compatible with each other can eat into time, and those which are animated/exist as full costume sets often have to drawn individually for every frame (We use 51 of these - and that is just counting the overworld).

Not to mention the confusion a patch without an update will bring at this point.

It's a real shame, because we would have liked to have given you something new this Halloween, but we've been really squeezed for development time.

Also

>8-bit

pls