The real "Dream Eater" Threat

Dream Eater Theory:

What if dreams actually exist the same way the internet does? In an infinite "space" that we can only access subconsciously, or outside of our physical element?

What brought this on is that I have reoccurring dreams, just as you do, about places that don't exist but they're there when you dream. So, what if these places are like websites where they DO exist but you can't physically exist "Inside" of them. You only access time to time when you have the ability to.

I'm talking about the possibility of a "dream map". Just another sub-conscience or dimension that exists that you can actually visit. If we were able to expand outside of these reoccurring dream environments WHILE we're dreaming, who's to say we wouldn't be able to eventually make a "map" of where they are? Maybe if you stepped outside of your own dream environments WHILE you were dreaming, you could visit an environment that's been created entirely by someone else? You may not see them while they're there (the consideration of layers takes effect), but you can visit there. That being said, Maybe you CAN actually see them while they're dreaming there, who knows. Maybe the reason we so rarely experience the SAME dreams someone else is having is because the dream environment is so expansive that the possibility of us meeting someone else in their dreams is so phenomenally incomprehensible.

**HOWEVER**

I feel like this theory also adds a real threat of the incredible harsh effects of "Dream Eater". This resulting in De'ja Vu and memories and experiences you have (such as how it feels to actually sink your teeth into live skin similar to biting into a cube of jello, and falling off of couches into oceans or falling off of cliffs during a lucid dream as you've 'dreamt' before)

What are your thoughts? Do you feel Poke'mon would feel the same ill effects? I honestly (and the main purpose of this post, I'm sorry it took so long to get to) think that Dream Eater is incredibly underrated as an ability. Yes, it saps away some health respectfully, but it should ALSO cause sometimes confusion and very occasionally a bit of paralysis (upon wake, but also lower the accuracy to balance the effectiveness).

Edited by Atumisk
  • Kyu featured and unfeatured this topic
4 hours ago, Atumisk said:

Dream Eater Theory:

What if dreams actually exist the same way the internet does? In an infinite "space" that we can only access subconsciously, or outside of our physical element?

What brought this on is that I have reoccurring dreams, just as you do, about places that don't exist but they're there when you dream. So, what if these places are like websites where they DO exist but you can't physically exist "Inside" of them. You only access time to time when you have the ability to.

I'm talking about the possibility of a "dream map". Just another sub-conscience or dimension that exists that you can actually visit. If we were able to expand outside of these reoccurring dream environments WHILE we're dreaming, who's to say we wouldn't be able to eventually make a "map" of where they are? Maybe if you stepped outside of your own dream environments WHILE you were dreaming, you could visit an environment that's been created entirely by someone else? You may not see them while they're there (the consideration of layers takes effect), but you can visit there. That being said, Maybe you CAN actually see them while they're dreaming there, who knows. Maybe the reason we so rarely experience the SAME dreams someone else is having is because the dream environment is so expansive that the possibility of us meeting someone else in their dreams is so phenomenally incomprehensible.

**HOWEVER**

I feel like this theory also adds a real threat of the incredible harsh effects of "Dream Eater". This resulting in De'ja Vu and memories and experiences you have (such as how it feels to actually sink your teeth into live skin similar to biting into a cube of jello, and falling off of couches into oceans or falling off of cliffs during a lucid dream as you've 'dreamt' before)

What are your thoughts? Do you feel Poke'mon would feel the same ill effects? I honestly (and the main purpose of this post, I'm sorry it took so long to get to) think that Dream Eater is incredibly underrated as an ability. Yes, it saps away some health respectfully, but it should ALSO cause sometimes confusion and very occasionally a bit of paralysis (upon wake, but also lower the accuracy to balance the effectiveness).

Altered states of consciousness are typically regarded as symptoms of disease or inebriation, as they're just a less functional version of our "normal" brain while we're awake. To state that dreams are methods of releasing consciousness beyond the body would imply that a soul, or some other manifestation of self, exists beyond your brain. Due to the limitations of the universe as we know it, i.e. the four dimensions defined by spacetime, this would imply that the soul is able to either: 1) Traverse the fourth dimension, time, in order to visit different worlds within the universe; or 2) Traverse a plane beyond that of our universe, i.e. a multiverse or 5th dimension. 

While the very basic reasoning for sleep within mammals isn't fully understood (as far as I remember, simpler animals don't sleep nearly as much, and simple molecular organisms typically just rest?), as our brain activity fluctuates while sleeping, I would regard dreams as nothing more than natural hallucinations as a result of the heightened brain activity during REM sleep. The absence of certain neurotransmitter activity during REM sleep seems that it would produce a delirious state, similar to psychosis or schizophrenia. As well, while the brain is growing in children, hallucinations are common, so they are an established part of a normal brain's lifespan and it would imply these altered conscious states would be a byproduct of evolutionary flaws / cellular exhaustion.

But anyway, assuming that consciousness is structured in a way where it can pass through a multiverse which then creates another universe which the consciousness "visits", yes, it would be incredibly cruel to "steal" that as it would imply the destruction of a universe. As animals in our world dream, it would also assume that all beings of higher consciousness behave by the same rule, and thus pokemon would.

Edited by Kyu
7 hours ago, Kyu said:

Altered states of consciousness are typically regarded as symptoms of disease or inebriation, as they're just a less functional version of our "normal" brain while we're awake. To state that dreams are methods of releasing consciousness beyond the body would imply that a soul, or some other manifestation of self, exists beyond your brain. Due to the limitations of the universe as we know it, i.e. the four dimensions defined by spacetime, this would imply that the soul is able to either: 1) Traverse the fourth dimension, time, in order to visit different worlds within the universe; or 2) Traverse a plane beyond that of our universe, i.e. a multiverse or 5th dimension. 

While the very basic reasoning for sleep within mammals isn't fully understood (as far as I remember, simpler animals don't sleep nearly as much, and simple molecular organisms typically just rest?), as our brain activity fluctuates while sleeping, I would regard dreams as nothing more than natural hallucinations as a result of the heightened brain activity during REM sleep. The absence of certain neurotransmitter activity during REM sleep seems that it would produce a delirious state, similar to psychosis or schizophrenia. As well, while the brain is growing in children, hallucinations are common, so they are an established part of a normal brain's lifespan and it would imply these altered conscious states would be a byproduct of evolutionary flaws / cellular exhaustion.

But anyway, assuming that consciousness is structured in a way where it can pass through a multiverse which then creates another universe which the consciousness "visits", yes, it would be incredibly cruel to "steal" that as it would imply the destruction of a universe. As animals in our world dream, it would also assume that all beings of higher consciousness behave by the same rule, and thus pokemon would.

When I saw my notification that you posted on something, I guessed it was either some news / teaser OR you doing your normal troll routine.

It's a defacto serious thoughtful response. huh. You got me Kyu, you got me.

Also, on a related point, I woke up today with tears down my face assumedly from a dream I can't remember so dreams can be spooky

On 10/21/2017 at 2:14 AM, Kyu said:

I honestly believe a soul "our consciousness"  (not to go off topic but stay on topic) can exist beyond what we experience. Where matter can't be created or destroyed, what makes up what and "Who" we are is very evident. So when we're asleep, our matter obviously isn't acting outwardly where we're on standby, so it would make sense for it to go somewhere else, and that's internally. Our body is just a tool, like a cellphone, used by a controller to communicate, act, and function to keep the planet and the human race alive through evolution and communication. Both of which we're failing at, but that's beside the point.

That being said, I honestly believe it would make sense another plane of existence, well, "exists". Not a heaven or a hell, but a dimension. It's been recorded millions of times of people experiencing similar dreams through whatever crazy circumstances. Given the unlimited potential of our brain it would be almost impossible to dream the same thing as someone else. Now, if these are hallucinations, it would somewhat make sense since we experience the same reality together and inhabit the same planet with the same weather and struggles as each other. So to hallucinate similar experiences makes sense.

But in the same places? Even as hallucinations, those are individually mapped to where we've been and how we've experienced being there. 

I agree with you, I just wanted to put in my two-cents. I believe a hallucination goes beyond just being a "chemical imbalance" since when you die, that's the biggest chemical imbalance but you don't function or exist when you die, only your shell of a body does. So where does that conscience go? Where does what made you who you are go? Maybe it would go to the only other place it would exist, and that's the only place we experience when we dream. Brain activity completely ceases to exist when you die, so I doubt "you" would just fester and buzz around your brain after death like a bee. We'd have been able to detect that kind of incredible activity and harvest / rebirth it by now with the amount of brain science and technology there is today.

On 20/10/2017 at 9:14 PM, Kyu said:

I am glad we are talking about dreams. You all hired @Bilburt and the strange thing is that a few months ago, I had a dream about Bilburt becoming staff. It was kind of freaky, but at the same time though, I cannot control what I dream about.

The dream I was referring to with Bilburt was an exception to the rule. Most times, dreams are just nonsense. For some odd reason, I can kind of remember some dreams very vividly. For example, I remember a dream of me helping a Pelican fly. It kept on flying into my chest, but fortunately, it was a dream, so the sharp beak did not hurt me. I kept on helping it and it flew away. Retaining the memory of a dream is very difficult, but my brain is just odd in that way.

In my view, dreams should not be read into because most of them are nonsense. Very few dreams have that "real" feel to them. I can rave about how I met some people I had a crush on in real life, meeting a celebrity that I always wanted to meet, having another scary encounter with Rosie O'Donnell (I did meet her in real life in a Pizza shop in New York back when I was a little kid), etc. Dreams are fun to think about, but they should not be taken seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto the questions raised by this thread general is would be cruel to steal dreams? I mean, if you stole dreams, it would not have an effect when we wake up because most of us would forget the dream even happened. I would probably feel it more than most of the general population. Dreams let our minds escape the hustling and bustling of real life, so I would rather not have dreams eaten in real life.

The other question raised was about if dreams were real like the internet. There are different answers for different people. For example, if my dreams come to life, then I would have a ton of autographs of the celebrities I always wanted to meet, the cell phone numbers of all my real life crushes would be in my iPhone's contacts, and have a sign on my property saying "If your name is Rosie O'Donnell, then you are officially banned from the home of Bestfriends!" Maybe for @Desu it would be every single anime character would come to life and show off their amazing powers. The possibilities are endless on that answer, but it is fun to ponder about.

If pokemon are like humans, then they would probably be alright with their dreams eaten, but they are not humans. Pokemon may look human like Machamp, but they are a completely different species. Part of the reason why Pokemon get hurt by dream eater is because of (and this is just my own theory) what I call the "Instinct Planning Theorem." For example, Muk was put to sleep, it is planning on doing a sludge bomb, but has not yet formulated a method of doing it, so it just goes back to sleep. The move Dream Eater takes away some of that Instinct Planning that Muk had for that Sludge Bomb move and it hurts Muk's brain which is why HP is deducted. The pokemon that are strong against Dream Eater (ie: psychic, Dark, and Steel Types) have very strong brains or in Steel type's case, its brain is a vault making it hard to penetrate with Dream Eater and Dark types, it is impossible to penetrate since the brain is like a dark room.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:39 PM, Bestfriends said:

I am glad we are talking about dreams. You all hired @Bilburt and the strange thing is that a few months ago, I had a dream about Bilburt becoming staff. It was kind of freaky, but at the same time though, I cannot control what I dream about.

The dream I was referring to with Bilburt was an exception to the rule. Most times, dreams are just nonsense. For some odd reason, I can kind of remember some dreams very vividly. For example, I remember a dream of me helping a Pelican fly. It kept on flying into my chest, but fortunately, it was a dream, so the sharp beak did not hurt me. I kept on helping it and it flew away. Retaining the memory of a dream is very difficult, but my brain is just odd in that way.

In my view, dreams should not be read into because most of them are nonsense. Very few dreams have that "real" feel to them. I can rave about how I met some people I had a crush on in real life, meeting a celebrity that I always wanted to meet, having another scary encounter with Rosie O'Donnell (I did meet her in real life in a Pizza shop in New York back when I was a little kid), etc. Dreams are fun to think about, but they should not be taken seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto the questions raised by this thread general is would be cruel to steal dreams? I mean, if you stole dreams, it would not have an effect when we wake up because most of us would forget the dream even happened. I would probably feel it more than most of the general population. Dreams let our minds escape the hustling and bustling of real life, so I would rather not have dreams eaten in real life.

The other question raised was about if dreams were real like the internet. There are different answers for different people. For example, if my dreams come to life, then I would have a ton of autographs of the celebrities I always wanted to meet, the cell phone numbers of all my real life crushes would be in my iPhone's contacts, and have a sign on my property saying "If your name is Rosie O'Donnell, then you are officially banned from the home of Bestfriends!" Maybe for @Desu it would be every single anime character would come to life and show off their amazing powers. The possibilities are endless on that answer, but it is fun to ponder about.

If pokemon are like humans, then they would probably be alright with their dreams eaten, but they are not humans. Pokemon may look human like Machamp, but they are a completely different species. Part of the reason why Pokemon get hurt by dream eater is because of (and this is just my own theory) what I call the "Instinct Planning Theorem." For example, Muk was put to sleep, it is planning on doing a sludge bomb, but has not yet formulated a method of doing it, so it just goes back to sleep. The move Dream Eater takes away some of that Instinct Planning that Muk had for that Sludge Bomb move and it hurts Muk's brain which is why HP is deducted. The pokemon that are strong against Dream Eater (ie: psychic, Dark, and Steel Types) have very strong brains or in Steel type's case, its brain is a vault making it hard to penetrate with Dream Eater and Dark types, it is impossible to penetrate since the brain is like a dark room.

You kind of debunked what I was actually thinking about dreams being an alternate plane we can only access subconsciously (or with certain substances, alternatively) with the fact that you DO see other people who aren't experiencing the same dream. Unless In this other plane we can generate company, but that's a far stretch imo and a theory I'll think about.

As for dream eater, that makes sense why it doesn't work on those types. However there is also an incredibly neat thought that I've been dancing around since I was a kid as to whether or not our "reality" is actually our fantasy. In which case, dream eater would be SUPER fucking mean where it just took your "reality"away and left you "dreaming" then that would just kill it on impact. Again, there are some thoughts to go into that since we actually only exist as our brains piloting a body that grows and creates other brains inside of another brains body with liquids that one brains body naturally produces (birth). Our bodies only serve as a tool to maintain the survival of our brain. Being the most important, what's to say our reality is actually just an existence to keep us alive but our brains actually "exist" when they're most active, not when our bodies are most active? And THAT'S why we can't access our dreams physically.