Double battle timer and 4v4 instead of 6v6 etc.

MuhQOppa

Question

So the timer is 3 min + 10 sec added per turn right? Why not make it more similar to the real games timer, example. 5 min and 5 sec added per turn and 1 minute to choose moves each turn and if you dont choose them fast enough then the game selects moves automatically from the first slot, its way too harsh now.

Also 6v6 instead of 4v4? I assume some singles players made these tourneys, this make no sense at all, feels more like singles..feels like the strategy mostly seems to be take out blissey counters and have it last to stall win, with 4v4 this would be less of an issue because there would be less switching into hard counters and more strategic thinking what to pic.. also no team preview...?

1abcba728d75f38ae0f441808000c2c3.png

77 turns? please kill me. (pic from todays tourney top 8)

So would also be nice to have pick 4 from 6 with team previews on top of the timer improvement, has there been talk about this?

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, MuhQOppa said:

5 min and 5 sec added per turn

Base 5 minute timer would be good, but 10 seconds is fine as it is imo.

Also 6v6 instead of 4v4?

Standard doubles is 6v6, like with Smogon. This is not Battle Spot/Tree/Frontier Doubles or VGC. If rulesets for the latter two were implemented later on, we could have those alongside standard tournaments.

2 hours ago, MuhQOppa said:

also no team preview...?

Team Preview didn't exist until Gen 5, and since that's coming soon, it's expected to be implemented when the update hits.

2 hours ago, MuhQOppa said:

77 turns? please kill me. (pic from todays tourney top 8)

Blissey vs Blissey just happens, and 4v4 likely won't magically fix that. Chansey vs Chansey happened in Singles while she was OU, stall just can't be helped in some cases.

Alright, where to even start with all these suggestions at once.

Team preview is coming with the update with Gen5.

4v4 is garbage and doesn't fix anything what you consider as a "stall problem". The more Pokemon you have, the more complete you can make your team and the more diverse firepower you can have to take down all the walls while not having crippling weaknesses in your team. Don't take an isolated incident and show "lol this is bad".

Also your "real games' timer" is pretty much only applicable for rapid chess, where you can much more easily actually make a move in 5 seconds and then have some spare time to think about the key positions. In Doubles, every turn is a key position so losing timer for thinking more than 5 seconds per turn is ridiculous and would just make more and more games being decided by timer or make players do really poor decisions for the lack of time. The current system gives you 15 seconds regain per every turn, by the way, and it's quite perfectly okay as far as I see it right now since most Doubles turns can be made in 15 seconds but you still have that extra time for calcing thinking about your game defining situations thoroughly. 

Edited by OrangeManiac
6 hours ago, MknsZblex said:

77 turns ? it's still good xD

it's probably a lot, but it's Blissey vs. Blissey. I tried to flee this 1v1. But I didnt have the choice

Oh god, just stop being an uguu! just get use to the meta how ever it changes.

13 hours ago, MknsZblex said:

dubs isnt my tiers, i play it just for fun and tell me what you would like to change? ban blissey ? kek 

there's going to be a tier reset once the new gen comes out so whatever comes i'll with it.

On 20.10.2017 at 12:43 PM, OrangeManiac said:

Alright, where to even start with all these suggestions at once.

Team preview is coming with the update with Gen5.

4v4 is garbage and doesn't fix anything what you consider as a "stall problem". The more Pokemon you have, the more complete you can make your team and the more diverse firepower you can have to take down all the walls while not having crippling weaknesses in your team. Don't take an isolated incident and show "lol this is bad".

Also your "real games' timer" is pretty much only applicable for rapid chess, where you can much more easily actually make a move in 5 seconds and then have some spare time to think about the key positions. In Doubles, every turn is a key position so losing timer for thinking more than 5 seconds per turn is ridiculous and would just make more and more games being decided by timer or make players do really poor decisions for the lack of time. The current system gives you 15 seconds regain per every turn, by the way, and it's quite perfectly okay as far as I see it right now since most Doubles turns can be made in 15 seconds but you still have that extra time for calcing thinking about your game defining situations thoroughly. 

4v4 is garbage? Seems like you are mostly singles player and you just want doubles to be more similar to singles for shit to be easier for you, I see.

And you just said the difference between 6v6 and 4v4, 6v6 revolves around "having complete team" while 4v4 revolves more around strategies and strategic picking, though thats prolly less true for the current gen3 doubles meta as there arent that many strategies available compared to later generations etc.

And about the timer, mostly its just that I wanted more total time as 3 min is way too little the rest is pretty much whatever I think.

But yeah since bunch of things are coming soon, I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

4v4 is garbage? Seems like you are mostly singles player and you just want doubles to be more similar to singles for shit to be easier for you, I see.

And you just said the difference between 6v6 and 4v4, 6v6 revolves around "having complete team" while 4v4 revolves more around strategies and strategic picking, though thats prolly less true for the current gen3 doubles meta as there arent that many strategies available compared to later generations etc.

And about the timer, mostly its just that I wanted more total time as 3 min is way too little the rest is pretty much whatever I think.

But yeah since bunch of things are coming soon, I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Pro tip: If you wanna disregard all the criticism towards your suggestion and put it down to someone's personal bias, I suggest you to at least do the smallest of research you can. There's probably no other player on the forums that has defended the place of Doubles in our game as much as I have, whenever said discussion has happened here.

Back to the topic. 4v4 does not revolve more around strategies, how does that make even the slightest sense. You have less options to do every turn, limiting your selections to very minimal and making you very predictable. Also what you call a strategic picking is basically pick and pray your opponent didn't bring a counter to your whatever mon. It almost seems like you're either a VGC player or at least follow the Video Game Championship's format of Battle Spot Doubles, which as we know is 6v6 but bringing 4v4 after team preview (which is what you seem to suggest but not directly). I have nothing against Battle Spot Doubles but making baseless assumptions that 4v4 has more strategy in some way is ridiculous. Battle Spot Doubles is simply a way to make matches quicker and more dynamic but in no ways increases any virtues of competitive play. Real life tournaments are always played in Swiss format instead of Single/Double elimination which is what PokeMMO uses because who the heck wants to travel god knows how far just to get first rounded. In order to actually be able to host Swiss tournaments a some kind of a faster way to get matches played had to be made and that is why Battle Spot Doubles is a good format. But not for PokeMMO.

Would it be cool if PokeMMO had Battle Spot Doubles Swiss tournaments at some point? Sure, why not. But saying that Doubles itself needs to be dropped to 4v4 with vague reasoning about how it improves some kind of strategy isn't the way to go.

On 24.10.2017 at 3:45 AM, OrangeManiac said:

Pro tip: If you wanna disregard all the criticism towards your suggestion and put it down to someone's personal bias, I suggest you to at least do the smallest of research you can. There's probably no other player on the forums that has defended the place of Doubles in our game as much as I have, whenever said discussion has happened here.

Back to the topic. 4v4 does not revolve more around strategies, how does that make even the slightest sense. You have less options to do every turn, limiting your selections to very minimal and making you very predictable. Also what you call a strategic picking is basically pick and pray your opponent didn't bring a counter to your whatever mon. It almost seems like you're either a VGC player or at least follow the Video Game Championship's format of Battle Spot Doubles, which as we know is 6v6 but bringing 4v4 after team preview (which is what you seem to suggest but not directly). I have nothing against Battle Spot Doubles but making baseless assumptions that 4v4 has more strategy in some way is ridiculous. Battle Spot Doubles is simply a way to make matches quicker and more dynamic but in no ways increases any virtues of competitive play. Real life tournaments are always played in Swiss format instead of Single/Double elimination which is what PokeMMO uses because who the heck wants to travel god knows how far just to get first rounded. In order to actually be able to host Swiss tournaments a some kind of a faster way to get matches played had to be made and that is why Battle Spot Doubles is a good format. But not for PokeMMO.

Would it be cool if PokeMMO had Battle Spot Doubles Swiss tournaments at some point? Sure, why not. But saying that Doubles itself needs to be dropped to 4v4 with vague reasoning about how it improves some kind of strategy isn't the way to go.

You talk like you don't play vgc at all, therefore I wouldn't say you are a proper doubles player, smogon 6v6 doubles is totally different thing compared to real doubles aka vgc/battle spot, therefore opinion disregarded. All I'm just gonna say that the official doubles format is the most popular and it has the best rules, therefore we should have it too.