~30 Days to go until Unova

2 minutes ago, Daedalus007 said:

E-mail confirmation is clunky and can be seen as user-unfriendly depending upon implementation.
Unless there's a feature similar to 'remember this IP for a week' (or longer), many players may not bother with it.

It only prompts when an unknown device logs in. It's a mandatory thing, so you can't skip it (unless you opt-in to OTP at a later date, probably).

2 minutes ago, Daedalus007 said:

https://github.com/j256/two-factor-auth
Under this ultra-permissive license: https://github.com/j256/two-factor-auth/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
TLDR:  Use the code for whatever as long as the license blurb is included somewhere in the documentation.

Proper 2FA support has been done in Java already and has also been ported to various coding languages (depending on what setup you all are using).
I wouldn't mind providing some detailed technical information and links/signposts to the various FLOSS (free and libre open source software) projects with very permissive-use licensing.

Your community is composed of very smart and talented people.  Notice me, senpai!  :)

Our problem wasn't really with implementing the frontend, it's the amount of website changes which had to occur to support it. We weren't even bothering to do email confirmation of game accounts before now (it's a ddos vector, and back when the game launched in 2012, ddos-protected routes were not cheap), so we needed a way to review/override the ones people lied about, then to implement the actual "talking" to the game server,  and then a while was spent rewriting some old and crusty website backend things.

Eventually we have to work on the actual game, which is why "real" OTP 2FA is scheduled for a later date. I appreciate the link though.