New meta is coming (part 2/2)

ReDellaStrada47

Question

OK, I haven’t been much on the forum in past months, so excuse me if this it’s been already discussed (in that case link me the discussion :) ).

I have 2 proposals for the meta.

I know there will be a big update (4-5 gens), but I think it’s better start discussing some issues before, in order to be prepared for the future (and fix it before it’s broken lol).

I divided the 2 proposals in 2 different threads, because they can be implemented separately, so it’s better to keep the 2 discussions separated.

Idea number 2: Spectating rule

The idea is quite simple: we can watch matches in tournaments, which is good.
The problem is that we can watch the entire match, so bring counters, so stall, so make all the tournament boring. Yesterday I was so bored I stopped watching the tournament after the second round…

So the proposal is this: we can spectate an ongoing match, but not an completed one.
So, if you quickly finish your match you can see something of your next opponent, but you’ll not see all their pokemon (not the fainted ones, for example, because you cannot re-watch the match from the beginning, once it’s over).

I prefer this solution rather than «You can’t change your pokemons», because I like the idea of changing something based on the opponent: I know they will be a tanky one, so I choose these pokemons and this strategy; I know that the next one will use a lot of Spikes, so I bring Rapid Spin.

Of course at the end of the tournament all matches should be watchable.

Tell me what you think about it :D

Edited by ReDellaStrada47

5 answers to this question

That doesn't stop people with friends from scouting others, but I'm sure you didn't even think about that.

Also just like redspawn said, scouting is a crucial part of any pokemon tournament, if you're against scouting you shouldn't even consider playing imo.

15 hours ago, HowLXG said:

That doesn't stop people with friends from scouting others, but I'm sure you didn't even think about that.

That's a really good point.

The problem here is that scouting it's an important part, it's true, but in this way we have a luck game, not a strategy one. It's a lottery: if both players know each other pokemons, then both will change them... so what's the point of scouting, if the opponent will change all his/her pokemons, as I'll do? XD

Let's think about VGC, for example: you can change one or two pokemons, knowing what your opponent used the day before, but you have your core, that you tested for weeks or months, so you'll not change more than 1 o 2 of your poks. You have to build a team that can do well with most of teams and cores, then you can change something, but not building a totally new team.

An example is Yugioh's side deck: you can change some cards, but not change the core of your deck.

3 hours ago, ReDellaStrada47 said:

The problem here is that scouting it's an important part, it's true, but in this way we have a luck game, not a strategy one. It's a lottery: if both players know each other pokemons, then both will change them... so what's the point of scouting, if the opponent will change all his/her pokemons, as I'll do? XD

Let's think about VGC, for example: you can change one or two pokemons, knowing what your opponent used the day before, but you have your core, that you tested for weeks or months, so you'll not change more than 1 o 2 of your poks. You have to build a team that can do well with most of teams and cores, then you can change something, but not building a totally new team.

An example is Yugioh's side deck: you can change some cards, but not change the core of your deck.

luck game is shit and nobody want that, just a heads up, is already bad enough that there's a 10% freeze chance in ice punch/beam and when you get your frozen, being the ''lucky'' person you like to be, you clearly love that. The point of scounting is predicting what the opponent will use and find ways to have 1 or 2 checks on your team, not a entire team for the opponent previous one, that's dumb.

VGC IS NOT SINGLES. VGC HAS RULES THAT DO NOT EXIST HERE. HAS CLAUSES THAT DO NOT MAKE SENSE HERE. Please, stop refering to VGC like you're doing in every thread, is just dumb. Also no, team preview in VGC is totally different, and the meta is pretty much equal, there's like 12-15 pokemons that are currently used ONLY in the VGC meta. And also yugioh is a TCG, is all RNG there, that's why some years ago, you could have a 2000 cards deck and you'd be allowed in any yu-gi-oh event. :)

Edited by redspawn
3 hours ago, ReDellaStrada47 said:

Usually when people scout, they just do it to have a general idea on what the opponent will use. I don't think anyone changes their entire team just because they scouted their opponent.

4 hours ago, ReDellaStrada47 said:

Let's think about VGC, for example

No, let's not talk about VGC.

Comparing VGC to singles is ridiculous, it's an entirely different metagame and even if it weren't, it would still be a bad example.

I won't even comment on the Yugioh example, that's just plain dumb.

Getting back on point, the "spectating rule" you suggested is terrible, it won't change anything effectively and trying to prevent players from scouting in a pokemon tournament is completely unnecessary.