Small suggestions towards new update

razimove

Question

So Kyu and I think Darkshade answered a few questions in a Thread created by Xatu in general discussion, but something is really bothering me slightly.

Legendary dungeons are coming, I love this idea, I just don't like that you guys want to make us have to play through them in order to unlock hidden ability pokemons that we catch inside.

Why do we have to make our comps obsolete? How about instead of catching them, giving us Hidden Ability pills as drops from the dungeon? 

If your problem is the economy, why not make a fee per entry in the dungeon? Let's say 50k each entry(15k over the normal ability pill price). This would help balancing the economy while not completely screwing up many people.

Also, event wise, why not, after you're done releasing stuff, create a few weekly events more for pve players? Like super hard AI npcs that drop some useful items etc, or even a ''world boss'' in which each player would use his 6 pokemons to help defeating him, and would reward everyone who took part of it in the end, by the % damage they did to it? Idk, would be niec to help keeping pve active.

2 hours ago, redspawn said:

So Kyu and I think Darkshade answered a few questions in a Thread created by Xatu in general discussion, but something is really bothering me slightly.

Legendary dungeons are coming, I love this idea, I just don't like that you guys want to make us have to play through them in order to unlock hidden ability pokemons that we catch inside.

Why do we have to make our comps obsolete? How about instead of catching them, giving us Hidden Ability pills as drops from the dungeon? 

If your problem is the economy, why not make a fee per entry in the dungeon? Let's say 50k each entry(15k over the normal ability pill price). This would help balancing the economy while not completely screwing up many people.

Also, event wise, why not, after you're done releasing stuff, create a few weekly events more for pve players? Like super hard AI npcs that drop some useful items etc, or even a ''world boss'' in which each player would use his 6 pokemons to help defeating him, and would reward everyone who took part of it in the end, by the % damage they did to it? Idk, would be niec to help keeping pve active.

Gotta admit this is s good idea

3 hours ago, redspawn said:

• We'd have no control over which Hidden abilities become released, unless we make a blacklist and release them slowly. (We intend to stagger release over time, and we don't want to release all of them), which would seemingly be arbitrary and convoluted.
  • It may sink a little more money (though let's be honest, an additional 15k is barely anything for a Hidden Ability), but it does not sink any Pogeys - of which there is an ever increasing influx; Breeding does both.
  • Your existing comps are not entirely obselete, as they can be used to aid the breeding process.

3 hours ago, redspawn said:

Such events aren't off the table, we've briefly talked about daily events/bosses in the past. I'd also like to see something like this.

1 hour ago, Darkshade said:
  • We'd have no control over which Hidden abilities become released, unless we make a blacklist and release them slowly. (We intend to stagger release over time, and we don't want to release all of them), which would seemingly be arbitrary and convoluted.
  • It may sink a little more money (though let's be honest, an additional 15k is barely anything for a Hidden Ability), but it does not sink any Pogeys - of which there is an ever increasing influx; Breeding does both.
  • Your existing comps are not entirely obselete, as they can be used to aid the breeding process.

Such events aren't off the table, we've briefly talked about daily events/bosses in the past. I'd also like to see something like this.

There are some hidden abilities than both me and you know that on release will be broken, in specific Speed Boost Blaziken, and Moody ability. But this is something you guys can just ban in the metagame in OU for example, to prevent them from being banned. What do you mean by having no control? You don't need to have control over everything, in time, everything will be on the right tier and give us a good meta game, no need to be control ''freaks'', sorry for that expression.

About existing comps having use to help in the breeding process, I see 2 scenarios here:

• Female comps that are 5x31 will need to be ''re-used'' waste a ton o cash to make them into male or 6x31 which is utterly useless, so right there is what I mean, especially looking at something like Slowbro/King Regenerator, Cloyster Skill Link, Sharpedo Speed boost, in between many others.
  • Shiny Comps that become useless now and people spent MILLIONS, not talking about 5-10m, rebreeding this is not really an option as not only you risk ruining IVs but also sacrifice a lot of cash to see something become obsolete.
1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

Clearly it's easier to breed from an existing comp to a new comp, than it is to start from scratch. Anyone with existing comps is closer to having new, HA comps than someone with nothing who, again, has to start from scratch. 

Yeh but what do they mean with obsolete? Like I didn't get that. Obviously the pokes gonna be better and more improved in BW but what do they mean with obsolete.

2 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Clearly it's easier to breed from an existing comp to a new comp, than it is to start from scratch. Anyone with existing comps is closer to having new, HA comps than someone with nothing who, again, has to start from scratch. 

But then again, tell me how is it to rebreed? Imagine a 5x31 Female slowbro, how will you rebreed this to get the HA, since they belong to the other pokemon and yours is female?

25 minutes ago, redspawn said:

There are some hidden abilities than both me and you know that on release will be broken, in specific Speed Boost Blaziken, and Moody ability. But this is something you guys can just ban in the metagame in OU for example, to prevent them from being banned. What do you mean by having no control? You don't need to have control over everything, in time, everything will be on the right tier and give us a good meta game, no need to be control ''freaks'', sorry for that expression

We care about our PvE content as well, ideally we'd like to make sure nothing 'broken' is available at all, and this is a goal we will be working towards in the foreseeable future.

It's not so much about being control freaks as it is about balance.

We're inherently limited in how far we can stretch difficulty if we have to take into account things that would immediately be banned to ubers; it's some fairly poor design.

Female comps that are 5x31 will need to be ''re-used'' waste a ton o cash to make them into male or 6x31 which is utterly useless, so right there is what I mean, especially looking at something like Slowbro/King Regenerator, Cloyster Skill Link, Sharpedo Speed boost, in between many others.

Yes it's going to cost money, but it's objectively far better than starting from scratch.

That isn't 'useless' by any stretch of the word.

Shiny Comps that become useless now and people spent MILLIONS, not talking about 5-10m, rebreeding this is not really an option as not only you risk ruining IVs but also sacrifice a lot of cash to see something become obsolete.

Shiny comps are really an outlier here, and I don't see many people actually using these within tournaments at all (or many owning them outside of Gifts).

But even so, naturally the pricing will scale with difficulty to obtain (With shinies being at the top) - that has always been the case.

When it comes down to it, having more sinking taking place (especially in the shiny market - where the influx is much higher than the outflux) is only a positive economically.

18 minutes ago, Ichigo said:

What do you mean by this?

I mean that players aren't just going to toss their existing comps altogether, because they're incredibly useful for breeding new ones.

Their old comps may become slightly less viable in comparison (although not useless) and will save large amounts of money if used to breed the new ones.

6 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

I mean that players aren't just going to toss their existing comps altogether, because they're incredibly useful for breeding new ones.

Their old comps may become slightly less viable in comparison (although not useless) and will save large amounts of money if used to breed the new ones.

I see a window for prices of breeders becoming bigger when the update hits mmmmm

but it's kek cuz there is no way for the current comps the get the HA. Current Slowbro comps would become useless and just be breeders since it's HA is way better then it's current abilities. It would make a lot of work for comp players to get their shit right again ;/

EDIT: Also what about genderless pokemon?

Edited by Ichigo
14 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

We care about our PvE content as well, ideally we'd like to make sure nothing 'broken' is available at all, and this is a goal we will be working towards in the foreseeable future.

It's not so much about being control freaks as it is about balance.

We're inherently limited in how far we can stretch difficulty if we have to take into account things that would immediately be banned to ubers; it's some fairly poor design.

Yes it's going to cost money, but it's objectively far better than starting from scratch.

That isn't 'useless' by any stretch of the word.

Shiny comps are really an outlier here, and I don't see many people actually using these within tournaments at all (or many owning them outside of Gifts).

But even so, naturally the pricing will scale with difficulty to obtain (With shinies being at the top) - that has always been the case.

When it comes down to it, having more sinking taking place (especially in the shiny market - where the influx is much higher than the outflux) is only a positive economically.

Don't want to sound mad, but this is taking a piss on the playerbase literally. No, starting from scratch is actually WAY better than rebreeding female that are 5x31, therefor they become obsolete and will  in the end be released or something. This will angry the playerbase and make more people quit, marketing wise, is a bad move, and not a good move game wise either. I have the cash to rebreed wtv I want, but how about the time invested and everything? Sorry... just no. Be reasonable with everyone here.

You want to keep things balanced? Ban certain things in PVE aswell, is it that hard to hard code it honestly? Or is it just that you guys are to narrow minded to see the big picture? I'd advice you guys to do the following, release all HA for like 2 weeks, check the effect they have in general PVE(Serious tho, what is there PVE wise that isn't already a faceroll? Not like it will change much unless PVE changes, which let's be honest, it does need a overhaul sooner or later, especially gym rematching)

Other thing that could be done, after entering and defeating the Legendary Dungeon, you could find a NPC that would sell you the HA for more since you say 50k is little, I agree, lets say 400k, basically the price of breeding a 4x31 1x25+ natured from scratch.

My advice and I think of many aswell, would be for you guys to handle those things later, first give us a 2 weeks/1 month test run, check how everything goes. Yes competitive will be wild for that month, trust me, but if there's a new system, you need to oversee it in order to understand what is healthy and unhealthy.

So how I'm thinking about this, is that the price of current comps aren't really going to change. My reasoning behind this is that most of their value is derived from the quality of their IV's, the cost of breeding, and some factor of time in making it. Therefore, it seems to me that HA's will just be an addition on top of this, giving a whole new price tier for the pokemon that exists above any current one.

Now I look at the issue of converting current female comps to male comps (assuming that this is necessary to pass the HA, I don't know, just going off of Redspawn's assumption), and if that is a problem for you, then you can sell said comp to someone who can use it. You can then use the funds to buy what you need (this is a huge advantage, and the easiest way to show that current comps won't be made obsolete; they will just probably move from the category of "comp" to the category of "breeder", but their price won't change drastically). So, post-update, I'm expecting a boost in the economy (both from this, and from an influx in players).

I myself am in the boat that a consumable would make it too easy and HA's would just simply be a really common thing. If we go the breeding way, it's going to be a decent amount of more work, but the payoff for that is that the pokemon with the HA are worth significantly more, HA's are rarer, and that there is a bigger emphasis on: "put in the effort and you get a competitive edge in PvP". Of course, this also means that the barrier to entry to competitive play is going to go up. This, isn't necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion. However, it needs to be coupled with PvE content to fill the gap and entertain the player as they get closer and closer to joining the PvP environment (assuming that is their goal, which for many players, like myself, is not the goal).

So yeah, I'm in favor of breeding in order to pass HA's over a consumable.

On a side note: I do think that the Ability Pill item needs to be looked at, because I fear that a lot of players might buy it, thinking they can get a HA from it, but end up just losing money.

45 minutes ago, redspawn said:

Don't want to sound mad, but this is taking a piss on the playerbase literally. No, starting from scratch is actually WAY better than rebreeding female that are 5x31, therefor they become obsolete and will  in the end be released or something.

This simply isn't true, you either rebreed them or you sell  them off to someone who can use them to improve their breed.

You either end up with a breeding platform or money you can put towards your new breeds.

These two things are both objectively better than nothing.

You want to keep things balanced? Ban certain things in PVE aswell, is it that hard to hard code it honestly? Or is it just that you guys are to narrow minded to see the big picture? I'd advice you guys to do the following, release all HA for like 2 weeks, check the effect they have in general PVE(Serious tho, what is there PVE wise that isn't already a faceroll? Not like it will change much unless PVE changes, which let's be honest, it does need a overhaul sooner or later, especially gym rematching)

As stated previously - one of our future goals is to make PvP and PvE as consistent in mechanic availability as possible.

If they're 'banned' in PvE they have no use, so they don't need to obtainable to begin with.

Other thing that could be done, after entering and defeating the Legendary Dungeon, you could find a NPC that would sell you the HA for more since you say 50k is little, I agree, lets say 400k, basically the price of breeding a 4x31 1x25+ natured from scratch.

So then breed it, and we'll be able to sink 'mons at the same time; which is far better for the games economy.

There is a good reason why there is such a focus on breeding, and that's largely because it's one of the most reliable sinks in the entire game.

It's optional, but required if you want to improve your goods, but ensures a constant outflux both cash and good mons (Of which many more are caught each day)

My advice and I think of many aswell, would be for you guys to handle those things later, first give us a 2 weeks/1 month test run, check how everything goes. Yes competitive will be wild for that month, trust me, but if there's a new system, you need to oversee it in order to understand what is healthy and unhealthy.

I can't tell whether you're asking us to have test periods for potentially 'Ubers' mons or for your Hidden Ability Pill idea - so I'll address both:

• We don't want to make these abilities available at all, as this will make PvE unbalanced, we will likely test these things internally ourselves, and have discussions with the Tier Council. Giving a temporary period of time where these things are available only gives those that were around for it an advantage in whatever field of gameplay they can still be used in.
  • Having a temporary period of time used to address whether the 'Hidden Ability Pill' will result in people just rushing to convert their old 'mons as quickly as possible before that time period expires - further distancing the gap between older and newer players.

22 minutes ago, Gilan said:

On a side note: I do think that the Ability Pill item needs to be looked at, because I fear that a lot of players might buy it, thinking they can get a HA from it, but end up just losing money.

This is a good point, we should probably specify in the item description.

EDIT: To further the benefits of not having HAs being a consumable change, having HAs caught from wilds within dungeons opens up a brand new market for those who wish to enter dungeons and make further profit.

Due to the species in these dungeons being different, it also ensures that every type of dungeon will be consistently run - and allows us to choose which Hidden abilites we want to release

Trading is always a positive.

15 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

This simply isn't true, you either rebreed them or you sell  them off to someone who can use them to improve their breed.

You either end up with a breeding platform or money you can put towards your new breeds.

These two things are both objectively better than nothing.

As stated previously - one of our future goals is to make PvP and PvE as consistent in mechanic availability as possible.

If they're 'banned' in PvE they have no use, so they don't need to obtainable to begin with.

So then breed it, and we'll be able to sink 'mons at the same time; which is far better for the games economy.

There is a good reason why there is such a focus on breeding, and that's largely because it's one of the most reliable sinks in the entire game.

It's optional, but required if you want to improve your goods, but ensures a constant outflux both cash and good mons (Of which many more are caught each day)

I can't tell whether you're asking us to have test periods for potentially 'Ubers' mons or for your Hidden Ability Pill idea - so I'll address both:

• We don't want to make these abilities available at all, as this will make PvE unbalanced, we will likely test these things internally ourselves, and have discussions with the Tier Council. Giving a temporary period of time where these things are available only gives those that were around for it an advantage in whatever field of gameplay they can still be used in.
  • Having a temporary period of time used to address whether the 'Hidden Ability Pill' will result in people just rushing to convert their old 'mons as quickly as possible before that time period expires - further distancing the gap between older and newer players.

This is a good point, we should probably specify in the item description.

EDIT: To further the benefits of not having HAs being a consumable change, having HAs caught from wilds within dungeons opens up a brand new market for those who wish to enter dungeons and make further profit.

Due to the species in these dungeons being different, it also ensures that every type of dungeon will be consistently run - and allows us to choose which Hidden abilites we want to release

Trading is always a positive.

Well, you guys are digging a hole to deep to climb out of, is just what I'm gonna say. And with that I'm also saying, I'm one of the many who might just leave this game and go to a concorrent game in which they take the playerbase in mind.

Your first point is not true at all.

5x31 natured takes 900k-1M to breed if you buy the breeders.

Female means, whatever you do, you'll breed that comp.

Now you have 2 options here: Either you make it male, making a 4x31, wasting 200-300k in the process. Or you simply waste another 1M and make it a 6x31 natured.

This is already a 1.3m to 2m breed(maximizing the value, but doens't matter, calc it the way you want.)
<
So now, you'll also need to make the new HA pokemon female, and either 4x31 -> another 200-300k down the drain, or even make him 5x31 to accomodate the 6x31, another 900k-1m down the drain.

So in total you have a 1.6m to 3m(wasted) rebreed to make a 5x31 out of your existing comps. Tell me how is that viable or better? Please, just do it.

This is what I mean, they are not viable breeders if they are female. Males, ok, not that big of a deal, 300k breed and tadaaam rebred.

You guys are not taking in consideration the community, the balance of the game, nor anything. I'd reconsider that. I know your position and I know what you guys are trying to do, many developers tried before, a complete overhaul, what they forgot is the playerbase, look at WoW for example, a few expansions back. In which they completely screwed the playerbase, please, reconsider, not that my idea is correct either, that's why it's only an idea, but please, reconsider, re-breeding is dumb.

5 hours ago, redspawn said:

Good afternoon, it is important to have expiration dates on things otherwise you have little to no insensitive to innovate. I don't see a lot of people before the breeding era telling us about how horrible the breeding system is. People still held on to their old comps for sentimental reasons or plan on using them as breeding material. I am not saying that staff should make comps vanish in your PC, but what I am saying is that you shouldn't rely on older technology to help you with modern technology. Let me give a real world example:

How do teens live life? (This is Generalised, I am doing this to make my point):

70s - 90s = Cable, Arcades, Movies, and Radio (mostly for music)

2000 - 05 = Cable, Movies, Radio, Gaming Consoles (PlayStation 2), and baby internet

05 - Current = YouTube, online games (like PokeMMO), Facebook, rarely do teens go to Movies nowadays unless it is an ultra rated R film, etc

We innovate a lot in technology and thus how teens live their lives are different than how their parents lived. If we stuck to the old model we would lose a lot of potential. Society needs to grow and thus, we need to constantly change how we look at things. PokeMMO is trying to help aid in that drive to change by giving us reasons to rebreed stuff. I know that some people are not too happy with it, but we don't care about how Wal-Mart feels about their Brick and Mortar style being outdated. Thus, Wal-Mart is given two choices, change or die. There are some places that refuse to adapt and they died a few years later like Kmart and industries that decide on trying to adapt like Wal-Mart which now has delivery services (although not as good as Amazon, but they are getting there). Figuratively speaking, if Wal-Mart was a player on PokeMMO, then that player would be pretty good and even a little intimidating. I would be scared to face a player with the Wal-Mart mentality because that player is almost always aware of the "Upgrade Mentality."

Spoiler

I would like to give some advice to people who are going through these troubles, when I have old comps that are no longer usable, I adapt whats called the "Retirement Program" where they are not thrown in the trash, but instead, re-purposed with new roles like aiding with island runs or gym runs. I did a test by giving an alternative account of mine five old comp Dragonites for gym runs (I call it @TheChampionMike Test and even dressed the account like Lance from the Kanto Elite Four) and I was very impressed with the results! If an old comp fails the test, I plan on adding it on an island run team. I plan on doing this with more comps I plan on retiring when Unova hits the real server.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Breeding with a Hidden Ability pokemon should make the offspring inherit the HA by default if the pokemon are the same species.

There, I fixed it.

Edit: I don't know about genderless pokemon though. That needs another mechanic.

This is effectively how we're likely to handle it.

1 hour ago, notmudkip0 said:

@Darkshade what happens to shiny prizes? Won't they be useless?

Not useless, but less viable than some Hidden Ability builds perhaps.

Not every Hidden Ability is the optimal build and the aesthetic remains the same (Which would seem to be the primary appeal).

I do not see many using their Shiny Prizes in PvP, but disregarding that - we plan on implementing these abilities over time, so it will be awhile yet before they'll all be available and the older ones become less viable if you want to look at it that way.

At this time I do not know how we will handle future prizes, or if we want to make Hidden Abilities available for the older ones.

2 hours ago, redspawn said:

Now you have 2 options here: Either you make it male, making a 4x31, wasting 200-300k in the process. Or you simply waste another 1M and make it a 6x31 natured.

As pointed out, you have a third option; to sell it, and then use that profit towards your new breed.

Having something (Being current comps) is considerably better than nothing, is the point being made here.

my english is not that good and i have some trouble to follow everything, just want a summary, i won a shiny machamp in tournament with this current ability guts , just would like to know if will be possible to get Guts on it cause this pokemon is kinda useless atm

thanks

29 minutes ago, dastan said:

my english is not that good and i have some trouble to follow everything, just want a summary, i won a shiny machamp in tournament with this current ability guts , just would like to know if will be possible to get Guts on it cause this pokemon is kinda useless atm

thanks

I assume you mean Steadfast.

45 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

At this time I do not know how we will handle future prizes, or if we want to make Hidden Abilities available for the older ones.

If you mean No-Guard that is a secondary ability that, I assume, should be able to be obtained through the Ability Pill item, as xXBlu3BreathXx stated below.

Edited by Gilan
Ability mistake
4 minutes ago, Gilan said:

I assume you mean No-Guard.

yeah my bad i meant no guard , well just hope we will think about the older one.. pokemon like machamp makes sence only with these hidden abilities, at least for shiny prize that we cant trade or something

thanks for your time

4 minutes ago, dastan said:

pokemon like machamp makes sence only with these hidden abilities

well Machamp is kinda good with guts and Assault Vest. We dont have it yet but I doubt devs will wait with it till new gen. I guess we will get it earlier like "Life Ball" #WaitingForAssaultJacket

7 minutes ago, dastan said:

yeah my bad i meant no guard , well just hope we will think about the older one.. pokemon like machamp makes sence only with these hidden abilities, at least for shiny prize that we cant trade or something

thanks for your time

Machamp's hidden ability is Steadfist so you wont have to worry. No guard is a second ability that it gains access to in gen 4 (I presume you will be able to get no guard from the ability capsule).

50 minutes ago, Toupi said:

well Machamp is kinda good with guts and Assault Vest. We dont have it yet but I doubt devs will wait with it till new gen. I guess we will get it earlier like "Life Ball" #WaitingForAssaultJacket

Lol no, guts AV machamp isnt good. And kyu just said the other day they're trying to push new gen out in the next few months, why would they release any new items before then? 

44 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Lol no, guts AV machamp isnt good

Go spamming dynamic punch then. I'm not here to judge but no-guard is kinda mindless, where is fun in it? I don't find it in playing most powerful and easiest to play pokemons.

45 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

kyu just said the other day they're trying to push new gen out in the next few months, why would they release any new items before then? 

I should have specify that. By "new" I meant gen in which they introduced that item (VI). So I hope we will get it with some crafty name before gen VI. It's a shame to wait such a long time for good item.