NBA 17-18 Season/Fantasy Basketball

SirVector

Since it is near the end of the season, a lot has changed in mine and @Toast's predictions. This nba season has been a somewhat more competitive season, especially in the Western Conference (save for the Warriors and Rockets). So, I'll update my thoughts on the teams going into this season

Eastern Conference:

Spoiler

Atlanta Hawks: They still suck, but Philly thanks you for Ilyasova and Belinelli. Here's hoping you get lucky in the lottery; Atlanta deserves some success in sports.

Boston Celtics: I have to say, I like what this Boston team is doing. It's unlikely they'll make the NBA Finals, but they have some nice young talent and a real superstar in Kyrie Irving. They've rose above all expectations this year and continue to play very well. Also, the Celtics fleeced the Cavs extremely hard, since all of the main pieces of the Irving trade are now on different teams.

Brooklyn Nets: They still suck, but I like Spencer Dinwiddie.

Charlotte Hornets: They're still stuck in mediocrity. Please Charlotte, trade Kemba Walker to a contender next season.

Chicago Bulls: The Bulls still suck, but they have a pretty nice plan for the future. The next nba draft could see this franchise take a leap if they draft well and if Markannen, Dunn and LaVine continue to develop. It's a better NBA when the Bulls are good.

Cleveland Cavaliers: I thought this team was going to implode, but they essentially rebuilt their entire roster. LeBron is still continuing to be LeBron, but I see this year as the turning point for this franchise. If LeBron leaves next season, this franchise will sink back into the abyss. I still have hopes for them, but the Kyrie Irving trade was still pretty bad. Knowing the Cavs however, they will probably make the finals again.

Detroit Pistons: I still laugh at the Pistons front office for trading for Blake Griffin. They are no better off from where they were before. Real change needs to happen for this team to compete again. I like Blake Griffin, but he is not the answer. Search harder.

Indiana Pacers: This was probably one of the most surprising teams this season. No one saw Oladipo's rise, not even the Pacers front office. Pacers better build off their good fortune, now that the East looks to be shifting powers this season (seemingly).

Miami Heat: The Heat are good, but not great. This has been the theme of this franchise since LeBron left. There are pieces there, but the Heat need a real superstar to get to the next level. Dragic and Whiteside are good, but they would be much better with help.

Milwaukee Bucks: Giannis continues to elevate himself this season, but the Bucks have been a rollercoaster every single game. I could list all of the problems they have, but honestly, I'm just glad this team is watchable again. They are close, but still need more talent.

New York Knicks: My heart goes out to all Knicks fans. They still sucked even with Porzingis, but who knows what could have happened if Porzingis didn't tear his ACL.

Orlando Magic: They still suck.

Philadelphia 76ers: This team is getting pretty good. Embiid hasn't gotten injured yet and has shown the NBA what he's capable of. Simmons is a nice compliment and a Rookie of the Year candidate. A solid supporting cast for the two really puts a lot of stake in "The Process." I look forward to what the Sixers can do in the next couple of seasons.

Toronto Raptors: Honestly, this team is very good. I wasn't big on them in the beginning of the season, due to previous playoff failures, but this is the best they have been in a very long time. I give them a realistic chance to make the NBA Finals, provided they don't regress in the postseason like past instances have shown us.

Washington Wizards: I like this team, but I don't see them making it past the second round of the playoffs. They've essentially peaked with their current core, although Bradley Beal has been very good as of late. They need one more piece to really make a serious run, but I doubt they'll get one.

Western Conference:

Spoiler

Dallas Mavericks: They still suck. Dirk needs to retire in order for the real rebuild to start.

Denver Nuggets: This team is good. Nikola Jokic continues to be one of the most underrated players in the league, and Gary Harris has had a nice season as well. They could get a higher playoff seed if they continue to play well, since the 3-8 seeds are still hotly contested between a lot of teams.

Golden State Warriors: Yawn. When's the playoffs?

Houston Rockets: I was very big on the Rockets before the season started, and they did deliver. Harden and Paul have been sensational all season long, and the Rockets bench is still loaded, despite losing Lou Williams and Patrick Beverley. Are they going to make the Western Conference Finals? Probably. Are they going to beat the Warriors? Probably not. But I would still like to see it.

LA Clippers: The era of Lob City is now over. Although, the Clippers did get a nice haul for Blake Griffin, I would still think this team wants to rebuild. Also, please trade DeAndre Jordan next season, he could really be of use to certain playoff teams.

LA Lakers: The Lakers aren't making the playoffs, but you really have to like what you see from the young talent on this team. Brandon Ingram has improved this season, and Kyle Kuzma has become the surprise rookie the Lakers got from the draft. Lonzo Ball has generated a lot of hype, but I still would like to see more from him. He's been pretty decent thus far in the latter half of the season. It won't be long before the Lakers become good again.

Memphis Grizzlies: Oh my god, do they suck.

Minnesota Timberwolves: This team is already leaps better than last season, and it shows. KAT and Wiggins are a nice one two punch, with Jimmy Butler providing extra firepower. There's finally something to look forward to if you're a Timberwolves fan, but I wouldn't put the expectations too high, as KAT and Wiggins are still young and improving. Thibodeau still needs to chill on the amount of minutes he plays them though.

New Orleans Pelicans: Even with losing Cousins for the season, the Pelicans still sit atop the 4th seed in the West. I think they'll move down, but Anthony Davis is playing out of his mind right now. If this team adds more talent to Boogie and AD next season, look out.

OKC Thunder: This team honestly is pretty disappointing. I remember the amount of media hype for this team before the season, and much of that has now turned the other cheek. Yes, Westbrook is still playing very well, but the overall structure of this team is very uninspiring. Hopefully this team can make some noise come playoff time; they're still a pretty good team, just not the juggernaut we all thought they would be.

Phoenix Suns: Please don't waste Devin Booker's career.

Portland Trail Blazers: This team is pretty underrated.They currently sit on the 3rd seed in the West, which no one really expected. It is a close race in the West however, although this franchise desperately needed some results. Lillard and McCollum are some of my favorite players, they just need a bit more support around them for this team to be elite.

Sacramento Kings: They still suck. I like Bogdanovic and Fox though.

San Antonio Spurs: Sorry Toast, I think the Spurs are finally starting to decline. I hope they do prove me wrong, since I do like the Spurs concept of team ball very much, but their lack of star power might come back to haunt them come playoff time.

Utah Jazz: If there was ever a team I want to see play in the postseason, it's the Jazz. Donovan Mitchell is most likely the Rookie of the Year, and a budding star at that. They've played extremely well recently, and I do hope they make the playoffs to give Mitchell some of that high intensity experience of a playoff game.

tldr: It'll probably be Cleveland vs Golden State again in the NBA Finals.

51 minutes ago, taintedempire said:

Wish Kawhi would come back! Who is gonna win the championship?

GS gonna win in 5 games vs Cleveland or 4 vs Boston

Quote me later

Steph gonna be MVP after averaging 35 ppg

Edited by Torinnnnn
1 hour ago, Torinnnnn said:

GS gonna win in 5 games vs Cleveland or 4 vs Boston

Quote me later

Steph gonna be MVP after averaging 35 ppg

1M that if GSW wins, Steph isn't MVP. 

200k to your 1M that GSW doesn't make finals. 

5 hours ago, taintedempire said:

Wish Kawhi would come back! Who is gonna win the championship?

Most likely Golden State, the team that has the best chance to beat them is Houston (in the WCF). None of the East teams can beat them in seven games.

@SirVector

I don't really agree with what you saying about Miami Heat. Yes maybe they lack a superstar but look at how Miami plays. Literally anyone can shoot, they are not limited to 1 player that has to make the shots. Sometimes its Dragic doing the work and the other day it's JJ or Tyler Johnson. 

I hope they gonna get rid of Hassan. Yes he is very good but BAM has showed amazing potential and should start at the C spot next season. Then get a new PF. JJ, Olynyk, Winslow and Babbit they all decent but more for a benched roll. 

Also hoping that Waiters will be pretty good next year after he barely played this season because of a big injury.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...