Future of PokeMMO

Zackyie

Hi, I hope everyone is having a lovely day. I'm creating this topic because I'm concerned about the well being of this game/community. As we all know the implementation of GTL and automated tournaments have struck the social aspect of the game and it's becoming more and more like showdown with the exception of the grind of course. Many have already gave their opinions regarding the upcoming update and it seems people are leaving because what made POKEMMO unique was the nostalgia of playing fire red with friends and with every new update shit is going downhill.

My point for creating this thread was to ask one important question before we move forward with this update. My question is will there be an option to play the old school version of POKEMMO? Old school meaning that we can go back to the good ol days where people had to interact with one another to buy/sell stuff. Also, automated tournaments don't exist, maybe appoint staff members to host exclusive tournaments in said server. What are your thoughts on maybe also keeping a old school version of the game?

47 minutes ago, Zackyie said:

Hi, I hope everyone is having a lovely day. I'm creating this topic because I'm concerned about the well being of this game/community. As we all know the implementation of GTL and automated tournaments have struck the social aspect of the game and it's becoming more and more like showdown with the exception of the grind of course. Many have already gave their opinions regarding the upcoming update and it seems people are leaving because what made POKEMMO unique was the nostalgia of playing fire red with friends and with every new update shit is going downhill.

My point for creating this thread was to ask one important question before we move forward with this update. My question is will there be an option to play the old school version of POKEMMO? Old school meaning that we can go back to the good ol days where people had to interact with one another to buy/sell stuff. Also, automated tournaments don't exist, maybe appoint staff members to host exclusive tournaments in said server. What are your thoughts on maybe also keeping a old school version of the game?

No, you're not going to get an old broken down version of the game where you can't talk to other people because a quarter of them speak Portuguese, a quarter speak Spanish, a quarter speak Mandarin, and another quarter speak English. The reason these features exist is because there is literally no way to sift through thousands of trade entries via /tr // the Forums, or for tournaments to scale with GMs running them. Reverting these would cripple the potential of the game and would ensure that it can never scale past your group of friends.

The question you should be asking is "How do we make these features more social, so that I can feel more connected to other players?"

As I've referenced in the past, de-anonymizing the GTL and bringing back globalized /tr is one of the main ways we plan to establish communication between buyers and sellers. I've also stated that we do plan on helping to socialize automated tournaments through spectator chat as well as a 'spectator arena' which players are moved into to give a more similar feeling to the older tournaments.

Edited by Kyu

Ok, that pretty much covers the social aspect of the game, and I hope this is implemented along with the new update because it's really critical to have.

Now, you missed one other thing that I would like to discuss, which is generation 3. Like I stated in my earlier post... how will you guys cater to the players that don't want anything to do with the new pokemon, moves, abilities, etc... is the development team planning to implement a game mode that only allows the earlier generation pokemon to be used or are they going to be forced to adapt to the new ones?

Sorry for the late reply was a busy day.

56 minutes ago, Zackyie said:

Now, you missed one other thing that I would like to discuss, which is generation 3. Like I stated in my earlier post... how will you guys cater to the players that don't want anything to do with the new pokemon, moves, abilities, etc... is the development team planning to implement a game mode that only allows the earlier generation pokemon to be used or are they going to be forced to adapt to the new ones?

Hardcore "I won't play anything else but Gen 3" players aren't an audience which we are willing to cater to, and we do not believe they represent a majority of players or the potential audience to the game (if they were, I think they've already played all we had to offer over the past 5 years.)

I had stated this fairly early on in this cycle's development blogs, but GBA ROMs are extremely difficult to work with and hold us back as a Dev team, which is why they are being moved to "optional content." Because the maps will exist within the same world as Gen 5, Gen 3 areas will be updated for economic balance's sake, so that they are not outclassed by new species or team builds. This means Gen 3 areas will be rebalanced with Gen 5 builds in mind, although they will keep the themeing of the areas ("Kanto species stay in Kanto").

8 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Hardcore "I won't play anything else but Gen 3" players aren't an audience which we are willing to cater to, and we do not believe they represent a majority of players or the potential audience to the game (if they were, I think they've already played all we had to offer over the past 5 years.)

I had stated this fairly early on in this cycle's development blogs, but GBA ROMs are extremely difficult to work with and hold us back as a Dev team, which is why they are being moved to "optional content." Because the maps will exist within the same world as Gen 5, Gen 3 areas will be updated for economic balance's sake, so that they are not outclassed by new species or team builds. This means Gen 3 areas will be rebalanced with Gen 5 builds in mind, although they will keep the themeing of the areas ("Kanto species stay in Kanto").

Fair enough, I only brought up such questions because myself and other players that I spoke to in-game had these concerns and I wanted to shed some light. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and I'll be looking forward to the update. I will leave the floor open to whoever would like to add to the topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I pop in on these forums from time to time but it has been a long time since I was in game (just when Hoenn had been implemented I believe).

I started playing because gen 3 was being featured but back in those days there wasn't even an elite 4 so everyone were just grinding exp in victory road and couldn't even go to the sevii islands.

I have no longing for this period of the game, I think I did 4 runs when only the FRLG content was available and as Kyu said, I got my share of playing only gen 3.

To me it seems like the game is improving, automated tournaments seems like a great idea, if it has a skill bracket it seems even better. I also support the idea of continously adding content to the game, nintendo has never made a game where you can visit all places and find almost all pokemon so if it was to happen here I think I'd be more inclined to log back on.

I understand your concern with changing things that might alienate some players, back in 2014 I didn't want any other gens then gen 3 because that's all I knew, but now I rather see it as a step to introduce something new to players who might not have played beyond gen 3 rather than something that will drive those away.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 11:29 PM, Zackyie said:

Ok, that pretty much covers the social aspect of the game, and I hope this is implemented along with the new update because it's really critical to have.

Sorry for the late reply was a busy day.

I recommend having an old-school server and a newer sever you update every once in a while with the new generation. or just keeping the current server and migrating to a brand new fresh server that you will update to generation 3... or just keep our current servers and update the game with the generation 3 Pokemon in the new region. just suggestions idk if they will the best overall choices to make.

1 hour ago, Xyndred said:

I recommend having an old-school server and a newer sever you update every once in a while with the new generation. or just keeping the current server and migrating to a brand new fresh server that you will update to generation 3... or just keep our current servers and update the game with the generation 3 Pokemon in the new region. just suggestions idk if they will the best overall choices to make.

I don't see the devs willing to dedicate resources to this for the potential of minor players using it. As much as I'd like a version of PokeMMO to go back to CatchMMO days, it may not be worth it to play a sub-par version of the game.

On 14/09/2017 at 7:04 PM, Kyu said:

As I've referenced in the past, de-anonymizing the GTL and bringing back globalized /tr is one of the main ways we plan to establish communication between buyers and sellers. I've also stated that we do plan on helping to socialize automated tournaments through spectator chat as well as a 'spectator arena' which players are moved into to give a more similar feeling to the older tournaments.

De-anonymizing the gtl wouldnt be that good idea, tho. Ppl could start boycotting other players and whispering ppl to get discounts and lowballs or even harassment for putting certain price would be a reality, which could ruin thw market fluidity -- I think that adding on the search tool the OT so u can support a certain player would be nicer. 

• Zehkar locked this topic