PvP in the game rn

With the game and mm being pretty dead rn, there might be a window to discuss improvements.

So no OU official in 3 weeks; now two coming up; both on weekend; OU still most played tier; 64 entries each.

Why wouldnt you spread them thinner and have more seats for people to take? When theres no official for 3 weeks and you cant manage to enter any of those, because you´re away on the weekend, or you are one of those who didnt get in, altough you literally registered 3 seconds after the registration opened, it feels pretty bad and thats your OU officials experience for that month. Maybe theres a reasoning behind it i dont see yet, but was wondering why things are handled like that.

I feel like matchmaking has become somewhat obsolete unless you´re getting into competitive.

With ranked having a way better payout in terms of bp, theres no reason to bother with regular mm grinding, because its just inefficient in comparison. You could argue that its available all day, which is true, but on the other hand, why isnt ranked available all day? Shouldnt the ladder, or a top spot in it, mean something to the people who play competitive? How is it supposed to mean anything when there are set times for ranked though? Like, im central european, the only time i can play ranked is the first cycle, which starts 19:30 and ends 20:30, the other ones are simply not playable and i doubt im the only one that feels that way.The way it is, your position on the ladder just shows how much you grind ranked aka how much time you have / how the schedule fits your timezone, not if you are good at the game.

Maybe i dont see the point in how it is yet again, but wouldnt it make sense to let people play ranked when they want to, instead of forcing times upon them?

I also agree on peoples standpoint that theres no hype in automated officials, or mm in general, so new channels might be worth considering. I know that theres an update ahead already, but i feel like something has to be done about the competitiv experience in this game. Maybe its because i only play one tier, but playing competitive just doesnt feel rewarding right now.

Edited by DrButler
53 minutes ago, DrButler said:

With the game and mm being pretty dead rn, there might be a window to discuss improvements.

So no OU official in 3 weeks; now two coming up; both on weekend; OU still most played tier; 64 entries each.

Why wouldnt you spread them thinner and have more seats for people to take? When theres no official for 3 weeks and you cant manage to enter any of those, because you´re away on the weekend, or you are one of those who didnt get in, altough you literally registered 3 seconds after the registration opened, it feels pretty bad and thats your OU officials experience for that month. Maybe theres a reasoning behind it i dont see yet, but was wondering why things are handled like that.

Well as you know, or not. Staff members are volunteers who want to help out the game. Keyword is volunteer here. I'm not using it as an excuse but most staff members already put in a lot of effort into this game on different aspects in the free time they can spend. Now I agree the lack of officials in the upcoming weeks are concerning. But that shall change soon because Ill do a couple of them. Regarding why the lack of officials are there. Most of us have jobs/school/irl things we need to attend to. Since summer holiday has just ended everyone has their life back on the road etc. But again. Ill do some officials so don't worry about that one.

Don't really wanna answer the rest because I ain't a developer and don't want to talk for them. But I understand your points.

1 hour ago, DrButler said:

I feel like matchmaking has become somewhat obsolete unless you´re getting into competitive.

Its entire purpose is a playground so that people can either play around with builds or dip their toes into PvP without impacting their main rank.

but on the other hand, why isnt ranked available all day?

How is it supposed to mean anything when there are set times for ranked though? Like, im central european, the only time i can play ranked is the first cycle, which starts 19:30 and ends 20:30, the other ones are simply not playable and i doubt im the only one that feels that way.The way it is, your position on the ladder just shows how much you grind ranked aka how much time you have / how the schedule fits your timezone, not if you are good at the game.

The main issue with Ranked is that there's a severe disparity between "really good/old PvP players" and "new PvP players". What this means is that we have severe issues when trying to convert players coming from the Storyline into PvPers. This is partially due to the lack of opportunity provided by the game itself to learn how to play the end-game (due to a lack of end-game PvE), partially due to the immense burden of knowledge required to play this game competitively, and partially due to the amount of time required to build a competitive team in the first place.

What that means is that there's not enough PvPers in the first place to allow an unlocked system without BP abuse occurring in Ranked (people rigging matches to farm BP between themselves or teammates), and until the game gets better in general at promoting end-game content, I don't think that's going to change.

The way we're trying to handle this problem is by working to make the end-game harder to teach players mechanical skill, as well as trying to create an environment where players naturally gravitate towards teams to share the burden of creating new competitive mons. The guild system is something which is underimplemented though and fails to accomplish the goal (lack of free information trading between guildmates aside from /t), and the game itself doesn't promote teamwork, which is why co-op content is a priority over the next year. We don't necessarily want to buff the creation of competitive mons through breeding because the system is inherently inflationary, so it's fairly fragile economically.

Shouldnt the ladder, or a top spot in it, mean something to the people who play competitive?

Yes, I don't think we're accomplishing this properly either. Imo the ELO compression doesn't work quickly enough, but tbh, I don't think it was a good system to begin with. I think something like Overwatch's "seasons" is more appropriate for our game and this type of ranked reward, but there's also a lack of inherent reward to the ranking aside from epeen, so that'd need to be addressed too. I haven't given a lot of thought to this problem though.

I also agree on peoples standpoint that theres no hype in automated officials, or mm in general, so new channels might be worth considering. I know that theres an update ahead already, but i feel like something has to be done about the competitiv experience in this game. Maybe its because i only play one tier, but playing competitive just doesnt feel rewarding right now.

The main issue with this is that there wasn't really a "tournament" map which was suitable, aside from Emerald's Contest map, but since we now have that with a Black base ROM, I think that'd be the most suitable place to warp players into when spectating. Imo the only real thing we can get done before Unova would be a spectator chat, but that doesn't really accomplish what you want, so it's pretty meh.

1 hour ago, TheChampionMike said:

Well as you know, or not. Staff members are volunteers who want to help out the game. Keyword is volunteer here. I'm not using it as an excuse but most staff members already put in a lot of effort into this game on different aspects in the free time they can spend. Now I agree the lack of officials in the upcoming weeks are concerning. But that shall change soon because Ill do a couple of them. Regarding why the lack of officials are there. Most of us have jobs/school/irl things we need to attend to. Since summer holiday has just ended everyone has their life back on the road etc. But again. Ill do some officials so don't worry about that one.

Its less about the lack of officials, but more about under which conditions they do take place. I personally think "only" 2 officials a month wouldnt be too concerning, but when theres hasnt been any for 3 weeks, why not just make it 128 entries? You could argue that theres 2 officials in 2 days, but that doesnt mean you have a higher chance to grab one of the entries. Going with 64 entries just means you´re further reducing the chance of somebody playing an official. What i mean is, 64man = entries taken in way less than a minute; 128man pretty good chances to grab one of them even if you´re not able to smash the register buttons as hard as others.

I do not know what it takes to host one, so just doubling the seats may sound like its less effort than it actually is. (?)

I didnt intend to make a plea for anybody to put more effort/time into this than they already do though. I know you´re all volunteers, you all have real lifes and this community wouldnt work without you, so im grateful for what you´re doing, but i thought that there might be a way to improve things nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Kyu said:

Yes, I don't think we're accomplishing this properly either. Imo the ELO compression doesn't work quickly enough, but tbh, I don't think it was a good system to begin with. I think something like Overwatch's "seasons" is more appropriate for our game and this type of ranked reward, but there's also a lack of inherent reward to the ranking aside from epeen, so that'd need to be addressed too. I haven't given a lot of thought to this problem though.

Would probably fix the issues, but i guess it again comes down to transitioning PvE players into PvP players, to avoid an abuse of the reward system. So that might take a while as well.

1 hour ago, Kyu said:

Imo the only real thing we can get done before Unova would be a spectator chat, but that doesn't really accomplish what you want, so it's pretty meh.

I mean it kinda would, but since a lot of things will take a while anyways, we might as well wait for the real deal.

Sounds like the game has to go through a dry phase to get to where it can be in the future, so it all comes down to waiting for the next big update. At least we know what we´re waiting for and that you´re thinking about where the game could / should / will  be, so thumbs up for all the transparency lately.

@Kyu but how will you get experience if in unranked you fight people who are using a walrein with body slam/blizzard and a raichu with cut? I agree with Butlerrr 100%. Also that is why elo is there man, it doens't work quickly enough, I agree on that, and you guys could maybe update that to some other system but right now we will have to work with it, so let's try it. Why doens't it work? There's 2 things currently:

Newer players being matched with experience players who already occupy a spot in the ladder, and the lack of a good player base to make a healthy ranked ladder, both need to co-exist with eachother so that newer players don't get bullied by top 30s, and older players have fair match agains one another. I believe teaching newer players is something that the recruiting guilds should do, it helps the community grow, and is a group effort from the guild.

Rewards is just a placebo effect, they're not required in ranking, you should be happy already to proof you can be better than others by default and that itself should be a reward, no need for rewards like in Overwatch, nor really small seasons like in it.

Spectator chat, I'm not much into java, but maybe if you guys need help with that, search for Atmosphere framework, think that's the equivalent to Signal R.

1 hour ago, Takens said:

Need more Oficial tourneys and less CC.

Reiterating this for the five billionth time, CCs do not effect the frequency of official tournaments, if there were less of them there would just be less CCs and the same amount of officials that we currently have, you are essentially just creating less to do.

24 minutes ago, Munya said:

Reiterating this for the five billionth time, CCs do not effect the frequency of official tournaments, if there were less of them there would just be less CCs and the same amount of officials that we currently have, you are essentially just creating less to do.

isn't possible to edit the prizes in those cc? like put the choice of cash or rp?

3 hours ago, Munya said:

In the case of CC's, no, that would turn them into actual officials that would impact the event ratio, leading to less of them per week(or none because I probably wouldn't be hosting them anymore).

Then can't you at least improve the prize of the CC a bit? Not asking for a shiny or anything bit, but why not at least something like a 30 day donator membership to the winner, 15 days to second place and 7 days to third place? I can't see why something like this isn't done. Cash is easily grinded by playing the game itself, in fact in 6 hours you can re-grind the story mode of any region and get another 1m+ easily, with hoenn is nearly 2m. 

5 hours ago, Munya said:

Give us more shiny comp prizes 
#GIVEUSMOTIVATION

10 hours ago, Kyu said:

I feel while this sort of idea would help with PvP and matchmaking, something similar would help the current state of the Battle frontier without changing how the individual buildings work. Because it has gotten updates though out the years and we still have records from when it was a great deal easier/exploitable. I for one have been looking forward to some addition to the island and while I understand your priories, and the time it takes to see them through. I hope this is something the team considers as compared to the more lengthy solution of all the buildings being functional which would take a great deal of development to achieve.