List of Changes from Original Games: Gen 5

Xatu

19 minutes ago, Quakkz said:

i actually like the idea to be honest, hopefully we get them rather quick. waiting another year would suck

When I said "stagger them," I did actually mean it. I don't know how long it'll take to release the first set (we're trying to have the first one released 3-4mo after Unova), but this isn't something which we want to release all at once.

19 minutes ago, Quakkz said:

So just to make sure - we will be able to get hidden abilities on our already existing mons , right?

17 minutes ago, DrButler said:

So you gotta catch and rebreed them?

No, we are not intending to give HAs to already existing mons. This is still preliminary, but we're trying to treat HA species like an entirely new release rather than an upgrade to existing work.

This means we're going to release them very slowly, and to make sure we don't screw with balance too much when we do it.

When i read you wanna implement them as rewards i thought of "special" ability pills first. Would make us grind the dungeons nonetheless yet we wouldnt have to rebreed the likes of slowbro and breloom.

That kind of upgrade is something which could be possible, but it's too early to give definitive info on the instances' reward systems. We're still at the very early stages of designing and it's not a problem which has been thought on yet.

Edit: And yes, I do recognize this system will probably result in complex bans for HA'd species. It is a problem which will need to be addressed by TC & the limitations of Matchmaking.

Edited by Kyu
8 minutes ago, Kyu said:

No, we are not intending to give HAs to already existing mons. This is still preliminary, but we're trying to treat HA species like an entirely new release rather than an upgrade to existing work.

This means we're going to release them very slowly, and to make sure we don't screw with balance too much when we do it.

Nvm read what i wanted to read.

Edited by DrButler
8 minutes ago, Kyu said:

When I said "stagger them," I did actually mean it. I don't know how long it'll take to release the first set (we're trying to have the first one released 3-4mo after Unova), but this isn't something which we want to release all at once.

That kind of upgrade is something which could be possible, but it's too early to give definitive info on the instances' reward systems. We're still at the very early stages of designing and it's not a problem which has been thought on yet.

just for my understanding - so we catch them in dungeons with random nature and ivs with hidden ability - will we be able to breed them and keep their has?

1 minute ago, Quakkz said:

just for my understanding - so we catch them in dungeons with random nature and ivs with hidden ability - will we be able to breed them and keep their has?

1 minute ago, KOHHuiXIN said:

Will the Hidden Abilities be passed down to eggs, i.e. can we make comp mons with them

Yes, I think so. Otherwise it wouldn't really work.

2 minutes ago, KOHHuiXIN said:

And if so, between the hidden ability and a mon with a different ability, which takes priority?

We haven't worked on the breeding complexities yet, so I don't have a good answer for you. Sorry.

10 hours ago, Kyu said:

Yes, I think so. Otherwise it wouldn't really work.

We haven't worked on the breeding complexities yet, so I don't have a good answer for you. Sorry.

Perhaps this could be solved by adding a NPC dialogue to the old man in the event where one Pokemon has a Hidden Ability and the other does not, such as:

1. You attempt to breed a Hidden Ability pokemon with a Non-Hidden ability pokemon
  2. >"Are you curious which ability your egg might receive?"
  3. If Yes, go to step 3, if No then select ability randomly between all possible abilities
  4. Old Man: "If you had to guess, which Pokemon do you think the egg will take after more? [Pokemon A] or [Pokemon B]?"
  5. >You select which one you think the egg will take after more, lets pretend I chose [Pokemon A].
  6. >"Are you sure?" Confirmation dialogue
  7. Old Man: "[Pokemon A]? I was thinking the same thing, let's look forward to the outcome then!"
  8. Egg is now set to have the ability type the selected Pokemon did (If you selected the Hidden Ability it is the HA, if not then it just randomises between non HA abilities)

Ofc this is just a quick idea and the dialogue etc is whatever, but something like this might be nice to just have as part of the breeding system for hidden abilities.

27 minutes ago, Matoka said:

Perhaps this could be solved by adding a NPC dialogue to the old man in the event where one Pokemon has a Hidden Ability and the other does not, such as:

1. You attempt to breed a Hidden Ability pokemon with a Non-Hidden ability pokemon
  2. >"Are you curious which ability your egg might receive?"
  3. If Yes, go to step 3, if No then select ability randomly between all possible abilities
  4. Old Man: "If you had to guess, which Pokemon do you think the egg will take after more? [Pokemon A] or [Pokemon B]?"
  5. >You select which one you think the egg will take after more, lets pretend I chose [Pokemon A].
  6. >"Are you sure?" Confirmation dialogue
  7. Old Man: "[Pokemon A]? I was thinking the same thing, let's look forward to the outcome then!"
  8. Egg is now set to have the ability type the selected Pokemon did (If you selected the Hidden Ability it is the HA, if not then it just randomises between non HA abilities)

Ofc this is just a quick idea and the dialogue etc is whatever, but something like this might be nice to just have as part of the breeding system for hidden abilities.

Old man would be pretty chatty.

I'd be more in favor of something else. For example:

The current mechanic is that there is an 80% chance that the offspring will have the ability of the mother parent. Therefore, it makes sense to me that if the pokemon with the HA is the mother (species defining) parent, then the offspring will have it, otherwise it is not passed.

This would keep HA unique to the species that it was released on. With Matoka's idea you could spread HA over different species (that share HA and egg groups).

5 minutes ago, Gilan said:

Old man would be pretty chatty.

I'd be more in favor of something else. For example:

The current mechanic is that there is an 80% chance that the offspring will have the ability of the mother parent. Therefore, it makes sense to me that if the pokemon with the HA is the mother (species defining) parent, then the offspring will have it, otherwise it is not passed.

This would keep HA unique to the species that it was released on. With Matoka's idea you could spread HA over different species (that share HA and egg groups).

Oops! you're right, it'd have to be between two pokemon of the same species. (or Ditto)

having it limited to the Mother only though would be difficult for Hidden Ability genderless pokemon, such as Analytic Starmie etc, also then there's Male only pokemon like Taurus.

How do you propose it could work factoring in stuff like that?

Edited by Matoka
2 minutes ago, Matoka said:

Oops! you're right, it'd have to be between two pokemon of the same species.

having it limited to the Mother only though would be difficult for Hidden Ability genderless pokemon, such as Analytic Starmie etc, also then there's Male only pokemon like Taurus.

It could just be set up in a case of priority much like passing OT with shiny breeding. Female > male > ditto. 

1 minute ago, Rigamorty said:

It could just be set up in a case of priority much like passing OT with shiny breeding. Female > male > ditto. 

That would need to be minorly edited, as with that priority system Ditto with Imposter would be valid for passing on an ability to genderless pokemon that don't have it normally, but it could work just fine like that other than the ditto thing.

Edited by Matoka
13 minutes ago, Matoka said:

Oops! you're right, it'd have to be between two pokemon of the same species. (or Ditto)

It will very likely be the species that the Mother fits into only, with the exception being made to genderless or gender-exclusive species requiring the Hidden Ability.

Ditto can never breed to re-create itself, so whether it has a Hidden ability or not will not matter.

This way we can ensure that any instances of any Hidden abilities available within the game are ones we already released.

This may vary in % chances to pass, perhaps with the ability to pay more as guarantee.

Or it may just pass 100% of the time.

Please do not take this as full confirmation, but it seems like the most logical way to handle it.

1 minute ago, Matoka said:

That would need to be minorly edited, as with that priority system Ditto with Imposter would be valid for passing on an ability to genderless pokemon that don't have it normally, but it could work just fine like that other than the ditto thing.

Yeah I just forgot to put genderless, consider it the same spot as "male" 

basically the species-defining Pokémon would be the one to possibly pass nature. Although I'd make it 100% chance and not 80% like it currently is on account of it would be some very serious bullshit if the last step of a breed didn't get the HA needs and then you need to make another Pokémon with all the IVs which is the most expensive step 

5 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

It will very likely be the species that the Mother fits into only, with the exception being made to genderless or gender-exclusive species requiring the Hidden Ability.

Ditto can never breed to re-create itself, so whether it has a Hidden ability or not will not matter.

This way we can ensure that any instances of any Hidden abilities available within the game are ones we already released.

So it's likely that these are the three main ways it can go;

You caught a HA Female Poke, breed whatever you want with it, the child has the Hidden Ability from the mother

You caught a HA Male poke, breed it with a Ditto and select Female child so you can chain breed now with the female female retaining the HA

You caught a HA Genderless / exclusively Male poke, breed it with dittos until satisfied

?

It's a super niche situation, but what if we DON'T want the hidden ability? will ability pill allow us to turn it to a normal ability then?

Edited by Matoka
Typos and words were wrong, im tired
1 minute ago, Matoka said:

So it's likely that these are the three main ways it can go;

You caught a HA Female Poke, breed whatever you want to it the child has the Hidden Ability

You caught a HA Male poke, breed it with a Ditto and select Female child so you can change breed with a female poke retaining the HA

You caught a HA Genderless poke, breed it with dittos until satisfied

?

If I'm understanding what you've written correctly, then yes.

32 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

If I'm understanding what you've written correctly, then yes.

So the deal right here is making everyone rebreed all we have now for HA?
it would be a lot better having just a pill. Many people from old times till now are waiting for the great update we don't care if it takes a little longer if you guys have to design another pill for it, but if you make us rebreed all those pokes i think it would be unfair and stupid i'm sorry i know you guys are trying your best.

42 minutes ago, Takens said:

So the deal right here is making everyone rebreed all we have now for HA?
it would be a lot better having just a pill. Many people from old times till now are waiting for the great update we don't care if it takes a little longer if you guys have to design another pill for it, but if you make us rebreed all those pokes i think it would be unfair and stupid i'm sorry i know you guys are trying your best.

Well I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that would be a really good way to make a lot of our new content void.