Teleport Spectate

Xatu

Question

A new feature that actually teleports you to where the battle is taking place (such as from tournaments, match making, and ranked).  The map should be redesigned to reflect more of a colosseum with chairs surrounding the arena. 

Reason why

• Brings back litness, player to player interaction during tourney rounds.

Rather than just having everyone standing still in vermillion when theres a finals round going on people would all be crowded right where the battle is taking place.  This would build hype and show the players who are playing that many are watching. 

How to implement

• Clicking on a round to spectate brings up a dropdown menu saying both "Spectate" and "Teleport Spectate" giving you the option to do either. 

I don't really see a point just to warp to some random backdrop essentially just to watch a battle when i can just go and spectate said battle right there. Doesn't matter if there is a special chat to it or not. If I want to spectate a battle, I'm going to watch the battle and not bother chatting. 

21 hours ago, Darkshade said:

I was assuming the whole thing was exclusive to official tournaments.

Yeah the suggestion is an extension of the original system in place to spectate ie; Matchmaking, Tournies, Ranked Matches only.

On 9/3/2017 at 8:10 AM, PlazmaX said:

Nice job just reading my first sentence instead of reading the rest of my response, which indeed, did have context about the suggestion, but ok

Notice the last sentence of my response... if you have no content to add that hasnt been touched on already. You stated " to bring back silph co, or even just make a spectate chat"  I had already gone at length explaining this to Aimi so i didnt feel the urge to reexplain it to you.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:00 AM, Bestfriends said:

Good evening xatu, I am kind of on and off the fence on this idea. Let me list some of the things I like and some things I do not like about this suggestion:

Lets start off on a positive note:

1. I like the convenience of this suggestion. I want to spectate DoubleJ VS. Frags, no problem, BOOM your at Silph Co. I like that for YouTube purposes.

2. The game would be much easier to navigate for spectating battles, "hey man, spectate me, I am about to go into a battle!" You can be right there when it happens.

Small misunderstanding here, you cant spectate EVERY battle in the game, rather, just matchmaking, ranked, and tournament battles.  So, matches where you would never be able to be physically present to begin with. 

That is all I have going for it that is positive, now lets go through the negative because I want to be a fair person:

1. I do not like the fact that players would have a similar ability to staff (particularly Junior Game Masters and higher). What your discussing gives players too much power.

2. Doesn't it seem unnatural, your porting from one place to the next without any effort. At least have something in your party that has the move teleport, but even that is too much in my view.

Relates to the misunderstanding.

3. What happens if the person you want to spectate is in a private battle? Your throwing privacy out the window when your implement this feature. There are players like myself that want to test out special comp sets on certain friends or team mates I trust. I would dislike people spectating me.

Somewhat relates to the misunderstanding because ranked, MM, and tournies are already public anyway. 

1 hour ago, Kite said:

I don't really see a point just to warp to some random backdrop essentially just to watch a battle when i can just go and spectate said battle right there. Doesn't matter if there is a special chat to it or not. If I want to spectate a battle, I'm going to watch the battle and not bother chatting. 

The suggestion isnt forcing you to teleport spectate, rather, have the option to do so.

2 hours ago, iKole said:

With some of the comments it looked like it might be all battles, but if only official, my last post can be ignored.

Well it is the only way we could consider implementing it, as having players teleport around the map is very likely to break various scripts.

9 hours ago, Xatu said:

Yeah the suggestion is an extension of the original system in place to spectate ie; Matchmaking, Tournies, Ranked Matches only.

Small misunderstanding here, you cant spectate EVERY battle in the game, rather, just matchmaking, ranked, and tournament battles.  So, matches where you would never be able to be physically present to begin with. 

Matchmaking, tournaments, ranked matches: why not have spectator chat like what @Kimikozen has suggested?

In my view, you can spectate officials anywhere you want and have another chatline.

Bestfriends: Hey I am doing a YouTube video of this match in my studio!

KaynineYL: Hi mom!

LampShade: I am hyped about this match!

We don't have to physically see each other. In my view, I think a chatline is good enough.

3 hours ago, SodaNaranja said:

It's really not a bad suggestion, even though in my oppinion it's not a priority right now, however i bet some of you would disagree with the suggestion itself just because Xatu posted it, bunch of trolls. 

I am not a troll. I think that xatu means well, but I don't think this suggestion is a good idea in its current state.

8 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

Matchmaking, tournaments, ranked matches: why not have spectator chat like what @Kimikozen has suggested?

Pretty much the normal chat within the colloseum serves the exact same purpose as a new chat-type using the Teleport Spectating.  So the Teleportation stands in place of a new chat type.

Once the players are teleported they would use normal chat most likely to communicate, circumventing the need for a new chat type. 

As for every battle being spectated in the overworld they would already be right next to eachother so there would be no need for a special chat-type there too.

Edited by Xatu
1 hour ago, Xatu said:

Pretty much the normal chat within the colloseum serves the exact same purpose as a new chat-type using the Teleport Spectating.  So the Teleportation stands in place of a new chat type.

Once the players are teleported they would use normal chat most likely to communicate, circumventing the need for a new chat type. 

As for every battle being spectated in the overworld they would already be right next to eachother so there would be no need for a special chat-type there too.

I think there is a need for it. The devs need less things on their plate, so I feel that a chatline is easier to implement than an entire room. I understand where your coming from, but it is not about the people watching the tournament, but it is more about reactions to the battles.

The Kimikozen Version:

Comp Player 1: WOW, look at that Metagross!

Comp Player 2: Nice attack boost from that Meteor Mash!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the xatu version (which does happen from time to time, but not that often):

Comp Player 1: Nice outfit you got there.

Comp Player 2: Thanks, I want to look like a rock star.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not trying to bash you here, but what I am doing is bringing out a point. My prediction is that the competitive community would be satified with this feature and if not, I want to send you an apology for doubting you.

On 3.09.2017 at 3:26 AM, Darkshade said:

This is similar to something we'd like to do, but currently have too much of a backlog to work on it at the moment.

I love how you all seem to ignore this statement. It's almost confirmation that this possibly will be done, maybe with little changes.

18 hours ago, Xatu said:

The suggestion isnt forcing you to teleport spectate, rather, have the option to do so.

I never said it was forcing, I simply stated I don't see a point in teleporting to essentially a new backdrop just to spectate a battle and chat when you can already spectate and chat. 

10 hours ago, Bestfriends said:

I think there is a need for it. The devs need less things on their plate

But suggestions shouldnt be about how complicated they are (even though this one is quite simple). I shouldnt have to limit the complexity of my suggestions just because the devs are currently working alot.  This suggestion will continue to exist forever so once its said its said, its not me forcing them to drop everything and work on my suggestion haha.

6 hours ago, Bearminator said:

I love how you all seem to ignore this statement. It's almost confirmation that this possibly will be done, maybe with little changes.

I'm very aware of the post... I'm basically just trying to explain my logic as to why its a good idea that will benefit the game from an MMO-standpoint for those who seem to no understand.

3 hours ago, Kite said:

I never said it was forcing, I simply stated I don't see a point in teleporting to essentially a new backdrop just to spectate a battle and chat when you can already spectate and chat. 

See page 1, but in short:

• Shows the players participating in the match that many are watching, adding tension to the match "Oh fuck if i fuck up everyone is watching and they will laugh oh noez" and also adding the support of potential teammates, friends, etc
  • Create a specialized area for chat about the match specifically with potentially everyone who is watching the match (cu
  • Expand a sense of community by having player avatars actually present for the match in a physical way
16 hours ago, Xatu said:

See page 1, but in short:

• Shows the players participating in the match that many are watching, adding tension to the match "Oh fuck if i fuck up everyone is watching and they will laugh oh noez" and also adding the support of potential teammates, friends, etc
  • Create a specialized area for chat about the match specifically with potentially everyone who is watching the match (cu
  • Expand a sense of community by having player avatars actually present for the match in a physical way

Again, I can already do that. If you're in a tournament (Non automated) people already know they are being watched which already creates tension. And teammates and friends are already there supporting. 

So I don't see a reason why you would need a specialized area to chat about the match, when you can already do that without teleporting to essentially a new backdrop. 

You already have a sense of community when people are there for the tournament watching the matches. 

So again a specialized area for all this stuff when you can already do that is rather pointless to me.

10 hours ago, Kite said:

Again, I can already do that. If you're in a tournament (Non automated) people already know they are being watched which already creates tension. And teammates and friends are already there supporting. 

This suggestion is 100% about automated tournaments.

10 hours ago, Kite said:

So I don't see a reason why you would need a specialized area to chat about the match, when you can already do that without teleporting to essentially a new backdrop. 

Sure you can but this requires creating a new type of chat to effectively chat with every single person who happens to be spectating the match.  Creating this new chat would likely be a whole bunch of work. 

10 hours ago, Kite said:

You already have a sense of community when people are there for the tournament watching the matches. 

Maybe in team tournaments on the second floor of the PC etc.  But the suggestion pertains solely to when players are teleported to the ranked, matchmkaing, and automated tourney arena.

10 hours ago, Kite said:

So again a specialized area for all this stuff when you can already do that is rather pointless to me.

Once again ill use the argument that its an MMO.  Like, the only reason any of us are here are for completely superficial, visually based reasons.  Literally every since thing in this game is just for show with the basis behind it all being battling.  If you wanted to cut out all the bullshit you totally can still, you just have to seek a battle simulator like pokemon showdown.  Or maybe gen a good legal team in S/M....  but thats not why were here huh?  We like the visual aspects, the vanities, the people, the money, the fact shinies even matter.  Thats ultimately why we are all here.  Visual additions, and options to do thing like physically be present for a match are what makes games feel real and fun.  More freedom is always a good thing. 

On 05/09/2017 at 4:35 AM, Bearminator said:

11 hours ago, Kite said:

Kite, I hate to shut you down, but Bearminator quoted Darkshade saying that it is a possibility. This is why I appreciate the PokeMMO development team, they want to do more and more to PokeMMO to make the experiences that much better. Although I agree with you in that it causes tension, automation already causes tension by still knowing that your being spectated by all angles.  As a comp player, you have to get use to an audience and even scoutters representing different teams to hard counter it for the next battle. I feel that a spectator chat is just fine, but the developers do not want to just do a chatline, they want xatu's full suggestion auditorium and all (and I appreachiate the developers for their drive to do more and more for this game).

I am no longer going to argue about this suggestion because there is no point. I am going to brace for it, but when I do my videos in the future, I won't have to have a studio for automated tournaments anymore. I can spectate it in the spectator's room that xatu is suggesting.

Edited by Bestfriends
clarification
On 9/6/2017 at 2:32 PM, Bestfriends said:

Kite, I hate to shut you down, but Bearminator quoted Darkshade saying that it is a possibility. This is why I appreciate the PokeMMO development team, they want to do more and more to PokeMMO to make the experiences that much better. Although I agree with you in that it causes tension, automation already causes tension by still knowing that your being spectated by all angles.  As a comp player, you have to get use to an audience and even scoutters representing different teams to hard counter it for the next battle. I feel that a spectator chat is just fine, but the developers do not want to just do a chatline, they want xatu's full suggestion auditorium and all (and I appreachiate the developers for their drive to do more and more for this game).

I am no longer going to argue about this suggestion because there is no point. I am going to brace for it, but when I do my videos in the future, I won't have to have a studio for automated tournaments anymore. I can spectate it in the spectator's room that xatu is suggesting.

I know what Dark Shade said, I'm just saying I don't see a point for it. 

Edited by Kite
Hands typing too fast for brain.
On 9/4/2017 at 8:23 AM, Kite said:

I don't particularly agree.

Are you familiar with PSL? In verm PC channel 7, whenever a game goes on, there are like 20 people spectating-- and chatting. It's quite lively.

People make bets, take bets, make predictions on possible plays and sets, trash talk each other, it's all good times.

Granted, not everyone in the room talks if they are like you, but i'm sure even they read chat for added entertainment between the 20sec turns.

This used to happen in official tournaments as well, but it no longer does for the sole reason people aren't in the same room anymore. It really adds another dimension of hype to the event.