Teleport Spectate

Xatu

Question

A new feature that actually teleports you to where the battle is taking place (such as from tournaments, match making, and ranked).  The map should be redesigned to reflect more of a colosseum with chairs surrounding the arena. 

Reason why

• Brings back litness, player to player interaction during tourney rounds.

Rather than just having everyone standing still in vermillion when theres a finals round going on people would all be crowded right where the battle is taking place.  This would build hype and show the players who are playing that many are watching. 

How to implement

• Clicking on a round to spectate brings up a dropdown menu saying both "Spectate" and "Teleport Spectate" giving you the option to do either. 

31 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

What advantage does this offer over a simple spectate chat?

Being an MMO, it brings a sense of community to actually see the player avatars joining you to watch the duel.  It reminds you of the playerbase and allows you to easily discuss and react to the battle, all together. 

30 minutes ago, PlazmaX said:

this isn't exactly needed right now

Whats your reasoning?  I think more content is good.  Especially social/MMO-like features.  I think its needed at any time because all ti does is bring us together more. 

30 minutes ago, PlazmaX said:

you might aswell just have people meet somewhere and use normal chat

So you have to go through that level of coordination just to talk to a few ppl about the match?  Even after you went through the effort the match would be like halfway done and you could only gather maybe a fraction of the players who would be spectating a high-profile match such as a finals round.

Just now, Xatu said:

Being an MMO, it brings a sense of community to actually see the player avatars joining you to watch the duel.  It reminds you of the playerbase and allows you to easily discuss and react to the battle, all together. 

You'd most likely be focused on the battle and chat to care about sprites which are mostly blocked out because of the battle screen. Just bring back Silph Co tbh

1 minute ago, notmudkip0 said:

You'd most likely be focused on the battle and chat to care about sprites which are mostly blocked out because of the battle screen. Just bring back Silph Co tbh

The colosseum seats would surround the battle arena in such a way where youd see many of the seats and the battle would be taking place in the center.  Exiting the spectate window would also allow you to move about the colosseum, sit by your teammates, etc.  Also many of us use the translucent battle windows. 

You mention the chat.... thats like, 95% of the reason why this suggestion is a thing.  It entails a private chat area for the battle itself, the visual aspects are kind of just there for show and because its a MMO.

Just now, Xatu said:

The colosseum seats would surround the battle arena in such a way where youd see many of the seats and the battle would be taking place in the center.  Exiting the spectate window would also allow you to move about the colosseum, sit by your teammates, etc.  Also many of us use the translucent battle windows. 

You'd still be focusing on the battle, no? It's what you bothered clicking spectate for after all. Going around like it's an actual arena seems pointless and just there to try and look a bit fancy.

5 minutes ago, Xatu said:

You mention the chat.... thats like, 95% of the reason why this suggestion is a thing.  It entails a private chat area for the battle itself, the visual aspects are kind of just there for show and because its a MMO.

Which brings back the point of a simple spectator chat, why not use that instead of spending extra time making a warp and a map?

2 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

You'd still be focusing on the battle, no? It's what you bothered clicking spectate for after all. Going around like it's an actual arena seems pointless and just there to try and look a bit fancy.

Its an MMO, looking fancy is a thing.

2 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

Which brings back the point of a simple spectator chat, why not use that instead of spending extra time making a warp and a map?

Because it looks nice, it instills a sense that others are present. Like i said before, its all for show.  Its a visual addition to a spec chat type of thing.  You have to consider too that a huge aspect of the suggestion is to show the tourney participants that many are watching them..  This makes the games seem more "real" like theres more on the line because people are watching, commenting.  I am genuinely surprised youre actually against this suggestion haha.

Just now, PlazmaX said:

It's not like the devs are adding a entire region or smtn, ofc it isn't needed right now 

Its a suggestion man, not like a written death-threat forcing them to work on my suggestion.  Are you basically saying I shouldnt post suggestions because the devs are busy working right now?  lmao

2 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Its a suggestion man, not like a written death-threat forcing them to work on my suggestion.  Are you basically saying I shouldnt post suggestions because the devs are busy working right now?  lmao

If you're going to suggest something make it something actually needed and worthwhile 

Just now, PlazmaX said:

needed and worthwhile

Its needed to make the game more fun, more community driven.  Id say its very worthwhile to add something as simple as this, that, god forbid, may actually make the game just a little bit more exciting.  Also who are you to speak for an entire community?  You dont like my suggestion?  Great you already said that, at this point youve posted like 3 times without adding any content and pretty much intentionally derailing the thread. 

1 minute ago, Xatu said:

Its an MMO, looking fancy is a thing.

Unova looks fancy and is much more important.

3 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Because it looks nice, it instills a sense that others are present. Like i said before, its all for show.  Its a visual addition to a spec chat type of thing.  You have to consider too that a huge aspect of the suggestion is to show the tourney participants that many are watching them..  This makes the games seem more "real" like theres more on the line because people are watching, commenting.

Why pour all the extra work into it when it's the chat that most people care about? People just want to comment on hyped matches with each other, not warp to an unneeded area just for a somewhat nicer battle area.

12 minutes ago, Xatu said:

I am genuinely surprised youre actually against this suggestion haha.

I'm guessing you've run out of things to say if you're saying this.

23 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Its needed to make the game more fun, more community driven.  Id say its very worthwhile to add something as simple as this, that, god forbid, may actually make the game just a little bit more exciting.  Also who are you to speak for an entire community?  You dont like my suggestion?  Great you already said that, at this point youve posted like 3 times without adding any content and pretty much intentionally derailing the thread. 

Pr sure no one in the community likes this or it would have upvotes, just a thought, also, adding more content > making the game community driven, also something say needed, would be a berry shop or such but that's no longer a option, also this suggestion is useless as I said before it would be better to have everyone meet up and use normal, or as @notmudkip0 said, just bring back silph co, or even just make a spectate chat, no reason at all to teleport people 

Edited by PlazmaX

I wonder how long it would take before someone complained that a number of people teleporting near the battle caused lag and/or cost them the fight.

I also wonder if people organizing an entire team to teleport to a person at once would be an issue. Perhaps a limit on how many people could teleport at once would be the way to go.

In any case, I don't see a problem with any player posting suggestions. I don't understand why the current development schedule has anything to do with this as I didn't see a time frame in the OP.

2 hours ago, PlazmaX said:

Pr sure no one in the community likes this or it would have upvotes, just a thought

Who are you to speak for an entire community?  Yore just intentionally being mean, rude, negative and pretty much just repeating yourself over and over.  We get it you dont like the idea and you have a vendetta against me.  Please BTFO and leave the thread if you have no content to add that hasnt been touched on already.

1 hour ago, Xatu said:

Who are you to speak for an entire community?  Yore just intentionally being mean, rude, negative and pretty much just repeating yourself over and over.  We get it you dont like the idea and you have a vendetta against me.  Please BTFO and leave the thread if you have no content to add that hasnt been touched on already.

Good evening xatu, I am kind of on and off the fence on this idea. Let me list some of the things I like and some things I do not like about this suggestion:

Lets start off on a positive note:

1. I like the convenience of this suggestion. I want to spectate DoubleJ VS. Frags, no problem, BOOM your at Silph Co. I like that for YouTube purposes.

2. The game would be much easier to navigate for spectating battles, "hey man, spectate me, I am about to go into a battle!" You can be right there when it happens.

That is all I have going for it that is positive, now lets go through the negative because I want to be a fair person:

1. I do not like the fact that players would have a similar ability to staff (particularly Junior Game Masters and higher). What your discussing gives players too much power.

2. Doesn't it seem unnatural, your porting from one place to the next without any effort. At least have something in your party that has the move teleport, but even that is too much in my view.

3. What happens if the person you want to spectate is in a private battle? Your throwing privacy out the window when your implement this feature. There are players like myself that want to test out special comp sets on certain friends or team mates I trust. I would dislike people spectating me.

Some Comp Player: "Hey I have Bestfriends on my Friend List, I want to chat with him. OH, he is in a battle, I want to see this!!!"

Bestfriends: "Alright, I plan to use this special Metagross in a future tournament"

Some Comp Player: "Hi Bestfriends, nice Metagross you have! I wish I can build that."

Bestfriends: "That is it, lets end our match!"

I want my privacy when I battle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you meant well, but I really do not think that this suggestion is going to be good for privacy and for the community as a whole. Unless there are ways to promote privacy and not have similar power to Junior Game Masters and higher, I am not in support of this suggestion.

10 hours ago, Xatu said:

Nice job just reading my first sentence instead of reading the rest of my response, which indeed, did have context about the suggestion, but ok

9 hours ago, Bestfriends said:

1. I do not like the fact that players would have a similar ability to staff (particularly Junior Game Masters and higher). What your discussing gives players too much power.

I'm not sure how warping from one place to watch and then back to your original spot is too powerful.

24 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

I'm not sure how warping from one place to watch and then back to your original spot is too powerful.

I would appreciate it if the feature can be watered down. I featured an alternative, but still have the feature itself like having a pokemon that would know teleport in your party.

14 hours ago, iKole said:

I wonder how long it would take before someone complained that a number of people teleporting near the battle caused lag and/or cost them the fight.

I also wonder if people organizing an entire team to teleport to a person at once would be an issue. Perhaps a limit on how many people could teleport at once would be the way to go.

In any case, I don't see a problem with any player posting suggestions. I don't understand why the current development schedule has anything to do with this as I didn't see a time frame in the OP.

I don't think this would be a problem as we have the option to remove the background while in a fight. You can still left click the black background to find players in the audience, but you'd need to have a special type of spud to not be able to handle this game without a background.

Edit: FYI, I'm all for the idea in this suggestion, although the way it's done I don't mind, but I think spectators should be grouped in some way.

Edited by KaynineXL
4 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

I don't think this would be a problem as we have the option to remove the background while in a fight. You can still left click the black background to find players in the audience, but you'd need to have a special type of spud to not be able to handle this game without a background.

Edit: FYI, I'm all for the idea in this suggestion, although the way it's done I don't mind, but I think spectators should be grouped in some way.

Or have a teleporter in your party. I think that regular teleportation is too powerful for the average player.

1 minute ago, Bestfriends said:

Or have a teleporter in your party. I think that regular teleportation is too powerful for the average player.

Well, those who queue up for matchmaking/ranked/tournaments are teleported when they go into battle. Once the game is finished they are put back to their original location before entering the game.

Spectators could work the same way, while spectating they would be in this colosseum. If they quit spectating or logout, they return back to their original location.

There would also be the issue with people using battles to teleport their friends around the map, specifically alts who can't even reach an area yet. I think it goes without saying that if something like this ever existed, it would certainly be temporary for as long as the battle lasted and should lock the player in place for the duration of the battle.

It might also be something that's added to the "checklists" on battle creation, to preserve privacy as @Bestfriends pointed out.