[PSL] Smack Talk - HYPE - General Discussion Thread

What about this:

PSL 9, PokeMMO Salty League

8 teams, 8 managers and an auction as usual. Instead of 8 or 10 tiers, there would be 9 tiers. Each week, the managers that lose need to release one of the players that played for them (only the players that lost are eligible ofc). After the auction and before week 1, each manager needs to get in an alliance with another manager. We have 8 managers, so we would have 4 alliances. At the end of the regular season, the managers that are in an alliance get their rosters combined. We therefore go from 8 teams to 4 teams and those 4 teams are the ones that would face off during playoffs. Teams that are in an alliance would not face each other during the regular season, so that means we go from 7 weeks of regular season to 6 weeks. I think that's good because people tend to get bored near the end. All teams would go to playoffs, so hopefully each team should have an incentive to keep fighting and also each player would have incentive to win so that they don't get released. Releasing players is also pretty drastic, so it shoudl give us good drama. The alliance aspect would bring out a new layer of strategy that I think would be interesting, especially if a manager promise another to align with them after the auction and then goes back on his word lmao.

edit: Released players could be bought during midseason by all the managers except the ones from their original alliance, so this way we would get super salty players that would compete.

Edited by gbwead
7 minutes ago, gbwead said:

What about this:

8 teams, 8 managers and an auction as usual. Instead of 8 or 10 tiers, there would be 9 tiers. Each week, the managers that lose need to release one of the players that played for them (only the players that lost are eligible ofc). After the auction and before week 1, each manager needs to get in an alliance with another manager. We have 8 managers, so we would have 4 alliances. At the end of the regular season, the managers that are in an alliance get their rosters combined. We therefore go from 8 teams to 4 teams and those 4 teams are the ones that would face off during playoffs. Teams that are in an alliance would not face each other during the regular season, so that means we go from 7 weeks of regular season to 6 weeks. I think that's good because people tend to get bored near the end. All teams would go to playoffs, so hopefully each team should have an incentive to keep fighting and also each player would have incentive to win so that they don't get released. Releasing players is also pretty drastic, so it shoudl give us good drama. The alliance aspect would bring out a new layer of strategy that I think would be interesting, especially if a manager promise another to align with them after the auction and then goes back on his word lmao.

I like all of it except the releasing players right away part

Why not play all the weeks, then you and your partner manager decide on one lineup and you cut all the people in one hit

26 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

I like all of it except the releasing players right away part

Why not play all the weeks, then you and your partner manager decide on one lineup and you cut all the people in one hit

We talked about this and we think it is a good idea to include the released player to the midseason player pool, and ofc your alliance won't be able to pick them another time, they're gone forever. This way W1 released players will get another chance. Let's not forget that if you lose, it means you have at least the choice between 5 players to release. That offers plenty of possibilities, and a manager that makes the wrong choice will taste the released player vendetta in the next weeks. (unless W4,5,6, so maybe add another draft at the end of regular season ? Seems a bit weird but why not, a 1 player draft per alliance wouldn't be too bad I guess)

11 players min. per team week1, if you lose W1 = 10 left, W2 = 9 left, and W9=8left but you have midseason to pick other players so you can still play until playoffs till the merging.

That leaves us with 11players/team min. at the start, and same for midseason (would need to buy 3 more players if you lost first 3 weeks to be able to play till the end even if you lose all).

Edited by Kamimiii
remembered hehe
2 minutes ago, Kamimiii said:

We talked about this and we think it is a good idea to include the released player to the midseason player pool, and ofc your alliance won't be able to pick them another time, they're gone forever.

11 players min. per team week1, if you lose W1 = 10 left, W2 = 9 left, and W9=8left but you have midseason to pick other players so you can still play until playoffs till the merging.

That leaves us with 11players/team min. at the start, and same for midseason (would need to buy 3 more players if you lost first 3 weeks to be able to play till the end even if you lose all).

I wanted to say something else but forgot, rip lol.

Couple issues I could see with it all tho

1: Trades still a thing?

2: How many gameweeks??? Do you fight all the other managers aside from your partner (so six weeks???)

3: Who manages when it comes to playoffs?

4: How is playoffs decided... say I manage a team and they finish 7th and im partners with the 2nd place team, how is the matchups made?

5: Splitting the prize pool through that many people kinda sucks, why not have the final week be the alliance breaking and fighting ea other??? (the ultimate salt, PSL civil war???)

On 04/09/2017 at 5:17 AM, DoctorPBC said:

2: How many gameweeks??? Do you fight all the other managers aside from your partner (so six weeks???)

4: How is playoffs decided... say I manage a team and they finish 7th and im partners with the 2nd place team, how is the matchups made?

5: Splitting the prize pool through that many people kinda sucks, why not have the final week be the alliance breaking and fighting ea other??? (the ultimate salt, PSL civil war???)

1. Didn't think about that yet, gonna start working on that rn.

2. 6 yeah, everyone but your partner and a "midseason break" (but no week break fuck that) to draft released/midseason players.

3. Both managers I guess, maybe we could add something like 4 and 5 players from each original team in the playoffs lineup. It would prolly result in more strategy involved as a manager, could be really nice to see, cause nowadays it's a boring role tbh.

4. Maybe the sum of the points of each team to get an alliance ranking, then 1st faces 4th, and 2nd faces 3rd, what bout that ?

5. Yeah I talked bout that with gb already, it was the biggest problem imo but you just almost solved it lol, it would be really epic indeed. I think we need to add a few rules to prevent shit from happening but yeah, rly good idea. (this would get the min. amount of players at midseason to 12, unless we do the post regular season 1 player draft like I suggested, so we assure every team to have at least 9 players for finals)

PSL9 - PokeMMO Salty League

Edited by Kamimiii
11 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

1. I'm not sure.

2. Yes, 6 weeks.

3. The manager with that had the best performance. The other gets released of his duties. If they had the exact same performance, some good old clefairy cup should will decide who is the alpha manager. To be honest, I haven't thought about that. What do you suggest?

4. It could be random or only the placement of the best team would matter when it comes to match ups. 

5. Lmao a civil war would be pretty epic lmao. The losing side of the civil war only gets 10% lmao? We could also have 2 players per losing team gettign released instead of only one to make sure there are less players in the end. We could also award less money to the players that remained on the bench. Awards would also be pretty senseless in this psl were players get eliminated, soo there should be more money in the end as well. 

Edited by gbwead

I mean, it's still the same competitive event, lasting multiple weeks + playoffs, that starts with a draft and ends with a crowned team. This is PSL, with some added rules to spice up the event a bit, so we don't have half the players bored by the end of week 2. It would actually be really hype and fun to watch, a lot of healthy drama imo, which is what we lacked this season.

This is exactly what we needed to allow ourselves to get another PSL before the update, otherwise it'd have been hard to build the hype with the exact same event right after a "boring" one.

It will be pure hype, salty suite and drama, a lot of preparation and more interesting games from the players, that will litterally play with their lifes on the line every week.

Edited by Kamimiii
1 minute ago, DoctorPBC said:

I mean if we gonna have a PSL where we test random shit then why not the one before a huge update???

euther it works and we better for it, or it bombs and we back to step 1 for gen 5

GB should have the managers in an alliance co-manage come playoffs, would be better than booting one 

co-managers and co-hosts, i like that

Edited by gbwead
12 hours ago, gbwead said:

What about this:

PSL 9, PokeMMO Salty League

edit: Released players could be bought during midseason by all the managers except the ones from their original alliance, so this way we would get super salty players that would compete.

I will explain why this project is not interesting me at all.
I'm a very loyal person and one of the main thing I'm looking for in this game, and therefore in PSL, is the team spirit.
Meet new people, share opinions, offering help to build and train, lend comps, ...
Being relevant to my teammates and support them is something you can't replace.
This project totally devalues the team spirit. 
You can be out of your team for good after Week 1 and the team you are supporting will be merged with another team and will lose all his nature.
I know this chaos is voluntary but PSL always been a competition based on team spirit except the trades which is something I never liked.
I want this competition to continue in that way and not turn around towards individual spirit, I hope then that this will not be the next PSL.

16 minutes ago, Sashaolin said:

I will explain why this project is not interesting me at all.
I'm a very loyal person and one of the main thing I'm looking for in this game, and therefore in PSL, is the team spirit.
Meet new people, share opinions, offering help to build and train, lend comps, ...
Being relevant to my teammates and support them is something you can't replace.
This project totally devalues the team spirit. 
You can be out of your team for good after Week 1 and the team you are supporting will be merged with another team and will lose all his nature.
I know this chaos is voluntary but PSL always been a competition based on team spirit except the trades which is something I never liked.
I want this competition to continue in that way and not turn around towards individual spirit, I hope then that this will not be the next PSL.

You can find team spirit and unity when fighting adversity. The consequences that come with losing are very drastic, so all the players that survive together should get closer than in the classic psl format. As for your comment about the 8 teams becoming obsolete because they merge, I just think the alliance of 2 teams should be looked as the true team from the start since a merge is inevitable. One team, but 2 fights basically. Even though they are seperated at first, the two smaller teams would benefit from having the same pm and training together. I find it also somewhat interesting that even thought you might be the only NU, Dubs or DPP player of your team, the fact that you have an alliance with another team guarantees that you will have someone to train with and talk to about the tier.

Edited by gbwead

I vote for gbwead as new psl host, each season since JJ took over he wanted to be host but hid in the darkness trying to find a way to improve psl in a drastic way, this time he finally found the way. This new approach on psl is pretty dope for real. 

GBWEAD for host, I might actually come back for this, idk as a player or manager yet but we will see.....