[PSL] Smack Talk - HYPE - General Discussion Thread

fPaHkZS.png

The PokeMMO Super League, or PSL for short, is an exciting, team based event which has featured some of the game's best players. 

It is currently in its 8th season since its inauguration in 2014.

It is designed after the SPL on Showdown which is similar to an American Fantasy Football League, but featuring our very own players. 

It is an entirely player-ran event and is funded by players as well. 

This thread will be dedicated to discussing the PSL as a whole and to critique each season and each host.

So please, offer any recommendations, share any concerns, and discuss what makes the PSL such an amazing event for you.

Ok, I read over a lot of the responses in the other thread and have come to a general consensus:

• The PSL is boring.
  • The depth of talent is pretty damn weak these days. 
  • ADV failed, VGC failed, and SMOU failed. 
  • No credits, no incentives to trade, and no monetary bonus really makes it boring for a manager. 
  • Doubles is cool, but BO3 might be too much. 
  • The midseason is garbage. 
  • Hiding on alts is a fucking joke. 

So, why not do this?

• Wait to introduce PSL9 until after the update. Unfortunately, it isn't just waiting for the update, it's also waiting for all of the tiers shake out. The tier council have a huge task on their hands by reforming the tiers and figuring out what should and shouldn't be banned. Should the update be launched in February 2018 (my prediction for a long time), we likely won't see UU and NU until April or May 2018, and even then these tiers will be shaky at best. Waiting will create HYPE and once the PSL returns, players will be thirsty to see it through once again. 
  • With the introduction of automated tournaments, players have a tough time being featured in this game. Before we could watch all of the matches happen in one spot and without that "competitive atmosphere" we will continue to think the OG players are the top dogs and that all new players are noobs unless they win 3 or 4 officials. Let's host more unofficials or expand the TT to feature 5 players rather than 3, this way we can see who are truly great right now. 
  • We need to eliminate the second Showdown tier. It's really just been ass and overall weak as fuck. We can easily replace it with a second NU tier.
  • Let's go back to the dirty BO1 Doubles format that countless players cried about because of hax. Bo3 doesn't really take too long, but it doesn't seem fair to force these players to make not one, not two, but three solid teams. There is also no way to truly regulate doubles to make players use the same teams in a Bo3. 
  • Let's finally let managers play. If their only job is to draft a team and submit rosters each week, why not give them the chance to play and rep their team on the battlefield as well. It just makes sense, especially with such a shallow pool of players. 
  • Let's eliminate the midseason sign up altogether. 
  • We can't keep letting players sign up on alts and getting away with it, especially when we only a select group of managers know who these players are. 
  • Fuck LC, it's a joke tier. NU2 is a better option. 
  • 8 or 10 tiers, it really doesn't matter imo. Either way works perfectly fine and should be voted on by the selected managers prior to the draft. 
  • Eliminate the draft and revert back to a full auction. The disparity between the Top 5 picks and the bottom 11 was just too great this season. If you get lucky and get a top pick, you are strides ahead of your opponents. Let's just do a straight forward credits based auction where everyone is on an even playing field.
  • Forget having the option of playing any day of the week, force players to play only on the weekend in order for spectators to get a chance to watch the matches play out rather than wake up and see them on the forum the next day. 

tl;dr You have ADHD. 

Wait 5 months ? Wtf man, it's gonna be boring already to witness the end of Gen 3 pokemmo till it turns Gen 5, but yo, no PSL in the mean time ? As Jon Snow said you'll be ruling over a graveyard.

What about like 6 teams 10 tiers so we have 2 less regular season weeks, and 1 less playoff week. Plus we obviously won't do a midseason weekbreak this time, so that's a full month we can invest into hype building and found raising on top of the usual time between seasons. This PSL would only last 7 weeks, which leaves us with the finals before Christmas.

Otherwise I don't agree with point 2, it's just lazyness from the players that look shit. Point 3 is true, but Zebra almost convinced me to give a chance to SM, even if it's not tempting at all, it might be a good choice. 4) Couldn't agree more. 5) I don't agree, you can take your team mates builds (hue) or teams tournaments winners use if you don't have time to build. bo3 is needed otherwise the issue of the game will be really random, especially with pump as only viable move, rockslide bullshit, etc etc 6) +10000 7) +10000

1 hour ago, DoubleJ said:

Ok, I read over a lot of the responses in the other thread and have come to a general consensus:

• The PSL is boring.
  • The depth of talent is pretty damn weak these days. 
  • ADV failed, VGC failed, and SMOU failed. 
  • No credits, no incentives to trade, and no monetary bonus really makes it boring for a manager. 
  • The midseason is garbage. 
  • Hiding on alts is a fucking joke. 

So, why not do this?

• Wait to introduce PSL9 until after the update. Unfortunately, it isn't just waiting for the update, it's also waiting for all of the tiers shake out. The tier council have a huge task on their hands by reforming the tiers and figuring out what should and shouldn't be banned. Should the update be launched in February 2018 (my prediction for a long time), we likely won't see UU and NU until April or May 2018, and even then these tiers will be shaky at best. Waiting will create HYPE and once the PSL returns, players will be thirsty to see it through once again. 
  • With the introduction of automated tournaments, players have a tough time being featured in this game. Before we could watch all of the matches happen in one spot and without that "competitive atmosphere" we will continue to think the OG players are the top dogs and that all new players are noobs unless they win 3 or 4 officials. Let's host more unofficials or expand the TT to feature 5 players rather than 3, this way we can see who are truly great right now. 
  • We need to eliminate the second Showdown tier. It's really just been ass and overall weak as fuck. We can easily replace it with a second NU tier.
  • Let's go back to the dirty BO1 Doubles format that countless players cried about because of hax. Bo3 doesn't really take too long, but it doesn't seem fair to force these players to make not one, not two, but three solid teams. There is also no way to truly regulate doubles to make players use the same teams in a Bo3. 
  • Let's finally let managers play. If their only job is to draft a team and submit rosters each week, why not give them the chance to play and rep their team on the battlefield as well. It just makes sense, especially with such a shallow pool of players. 
  • Let's eliminate the midseason sign up altogether. 
  • We can't keep letting players sign up on alts and getting away with it, especially when we only a select group of managers know who these players are. 
  • Fuck LC, it's a joke tier. NU2 is a better option. 
  • 8 or 10 tiers, it really doesn't matter imo. Either way works perfectly fine and should be voted on by the selected managers prior to the draft. 
  • Eliminate the draft and revert back to a full auction. The disparity between the Top 5 picks and the bottom 11 was just too great this season. If you get lucky and get a top pick, you are strides ahead of your opponents. Let's just do a straight forward credits based auction where everyone is on an even playing field.
  • Forget having the option of playing any day of the week, force players to play only on the weekend in order for spectators to get a chance to watch the matches play out rather than wake up and see them on the forum the next day. 

tl;dr You have ADHD. 

The first thing worth discussing is when PSL 9 will happen. I've touched base on this before in previous posts, so I won't elaborate too much on it. Waiting 6+ months (at least imo) would work for PSL assuming we had other big events that got any hype at all, but unfortunately, most events are a one time thing (Eggplant's 5v5 showdown thing) or died due to lack of hype to begin with (Orange's WCOP), so PSL is really the only reason why a lot of competitive players stick around.

Devs have made the competitive atmosphere not worth grinding for with the automation of tournaments and less valuable and more controlled prizes. People who have already committed the grind to be up-to-date in tiers don't even bother logging in for tournaments unless the staff host a tournament with a "rare" prize, which is once a blue moon.

For me, PSL was the only thing really keeping me active in game, but even then, PSL did not garner hype like it used to in the first few seasons. Maybe it's the disconnect between the older generation of players and the newer generation of players that somewhat kills some of the hype.

As for the "upcoming" update, I have little to no interest in playing the game once the update hits. The game is already stale and the update will be like what Jon Snow (aka A.T.) said, "just more of the same". It'll be new pokemon and a new region, but it'll probably still be the same old grind, with a similar time investment required. I'm fairly confident the devs won't prove me wrong on this. 

If we decide to have a PSL 9 before the update hits, then I will be willing to discuss the actual parts of PSL, but if we decide to wait until after the update hits, then there is a good chance that I won't return as a host, unless I become gunthug 2.0 and just play a showdown tier+be disconnected from the actual pokemmo community in-game. 

11 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

If we decide to have a PSL 9 before the update hits, then I will be willing to discuss the actual parts of PSL, but if we decide to wait until after the update hits, then there is a good chance that I won't return as a host, unless I become gunthug 2.0 and just play a showdown tier+be disconnected from the actual pokemmo community in-game. 

pfft I am not disconnected from the actual pokemmo community, I was in game for at least 20 minutes a few days ago when AURA won the team tourney

3 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I like the idea of letting managers play, but it has to have an impact on the auction. It would be unfair to have Frags and TrashboiEricthegreat as managers, since one is op and the other one useless.

well I'm sure comp ability would suddenly become a criteria for those selecting managers, if they were to play

2 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

well I'm sure comp ability would suddenly become a criteria for those selecting managers, if they were to play

Sure, but that remain subjective and the competitive value of a manager would not be quantifiable since he/she isn't a player getting drafted during the auction.

also:

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

Psl5 had the best host 

until now

Edited by gbwead
Just now, gbwead said:

Sure, but that remain subjective and the competitive value of a manager would not be quantifiable since he/she isn't a player getting drafted during the auction.

I mean, has it really come to that? It won't be fair for certain people to be managers because theyre too good?

Managers dont get to play, been a rule for 8 seasons idk we would change it now... if you wanna play then play, if you wanna manage do the as the title says... manage imo

Proposing a new change for doubles to counter all this cancer crap you nubs are spewing

Hearthstone style:

You and your opponent face off game 1 with whatever team you select, winner keeps his team, loser gets to change. First player to get (insert number here, probably 2 or 3) wins takes the series 

Pros

- Provides an advantage for taking a diverse team

- Winner of round 1 gets an advantage moving forward

- Loser of round 2 is not completely out of the series, and can hard-counter the opponents first team but risks being hard countered in return

- Better indicator of skill

Cons

-May mean more doubles games, but seeing as they usually last less than the typical OU and UU games that isnt a problem

- GBs head might explode (pro?)

10 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

Managers dont get to play, been a rule for 8 seasons idk we would change it now... if you wanna play then play, if you wanna manage do the as the title says... manage imo

Proposing a new change for doubles to counter all this cancer crap you nubs are spewing

Hearthstone style:

You and your opponent face off game 1 with whatever team you select, winner keeps his team, loser gets to change. First player to get (insert number here, probably 2 or 3) wins takes the series 

Pros

- Provides an advantage for taking a diverse team

- Winner of round 1 gets an advantage moving forward

- Loser of round 2 is not completely out of the series, and can hard-counter the opponents first team but risks being hard countered in return

- Better indicator of skill

Cons

-May mean more doubles games, but seeing as they usually last less than the typical OU and UU games that isnt a problem

- GBs head might explode (pro?)

Everyone wants Dubs players to not change teams. If it was feasible it would already be that way. The hearthstone format is cool, but it doesn't fix our problem u fool.

2 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

The depth of talent is pretty damn weak these days. 

i blaim 8 team of 8. if you only let in the popular kids then a lot of people stop trying to join and donate and those people can not grow a players from the experience. 

•  

i disagree. i agree that 3x teams is wrong you should have to use the same team every time for the best/3, but i dont think beast/3 should be abolished.

Wait to introduce PSL9 until after the update. Unfortunately, it isn't just waiting for the update, it's also waiting for all of the tiers shake out. The tier council have a huge task on their hands by reforming the tiers and figuring out what should and shouldn't be banned. Should the update be launched in February 2018 (my prediction for a long time), we likely won't see UU and NU until April or May 2018, and even then these tiers will be shaky at best. Waiting will create HYPE and once the PSL returns, players will be thirsty to see it through once again. 

agreed for the most part althou im not going to try to predict dates and times of updates.

• The PSL is boring.
  •  

it would be less boring with 16 teams of 8

Gonna copy paste my old PSL critique here:

On 28/05/2017 at 9:15 AM, gbwead said:

The Drafting System

The drafting system is completely flawed; the assumption that the sum of the 1st pick and 16th pick is equivalent to the sum of the 7th pick and 10th pick only works in theory. Sure, 1 + 16 = 17 and 7 + 10 = 17 as well, but that logic doesn’t apply to how players are valued in PSL. Depending on their relationship with players, some managers will value the first picks more than others. For that reason, whoever ends up with the first pick is in a great bargaining position. In PSL season 7, Tor got arbitrarily the first pick and through trades was able to end up with the 5th and 9th picks: 5 + 9 = 14 < 17. That was undeniably a huge advantage. Some might believe that Tor was able to accomplish this thanks to his trading skills, but now that DoubleJ accomplished the same thing in this season, it should be quite clear that the drafting system is not fair and quite uncompetitive. It would be therefore better to either remove or rework the current drafting system.

Sign up bias is an issue that season after season fails to be addressed by the PSL administration. This season it was blatant when Nik signed up couples of minute after DoubleJ got the midseason first pick. Coolio told me himself that Nik would not sign up for midseason unless he traded the first pick to JJ. This is not uncommon and not against PSL rules either, so no one is in the wrong here. It is however very unfair and should be corrected for future seasons by locking down sign ups before any trading between managers is allowed.

We also saw Axoa signing up and claiming he would not be very active in order to end up in the team he wanted and yet has been very active every week. This doesn’t break any psl rule, but it is also quite unfair because picking Axoa is a risk for every manager except for Yubel.

It is also not right to watch players compete in tiers in which they did not sign up. Having signed up in no tiers, I was free to refuse playing for JJ since he could not force me to play in a tier in which I did not sign up. We see players like Orange signing up only in Dubs/SMOU and now playing UU/OU. We see players like Raaidn playing NU and yet not signing up in NU. We see players like DestructX signing up only in NU, but playing in UU. If a manager needs a UU player, picking DestructX would be a risk unless you have a prior relationship with him. I’m not trying accuse anyone of anything or calling people out, I just strongly believe that this is once again unfair. Players should only be able to play in the tiers they signed up in, so that managers are on an equal playing field during the auction/draft.

Extension Phobia

No extensions is the best way to ensure players can’t abuse extensions to their benefit. I get it, but sometimes shit happens; MMO players live different lifestyles, don’t have the same schedules or time zones. Sometimes, players are simply genuinely not capable of finding a right time to face off. We shouldn’t look the other way and ignore the problem with this easy “no extension” fix. We want players to fight. Extensions were exploited in the past because they were not properly regulated, but that doesn’t have to be the case. With an open discussion regarding extensions and activity calls in general, I don’t see why we could not come to a decent solution that would improve the PSL event as a whole.

Showdown tiers

Smogon tiers get way too much representation each season despite the fact that we simply don’t have enough players willing to invest the time and effort needed to compete at high level in the smogon tiers. Even though it takes less effort to play on Showdown since no grind is involved, we end up with incredibly low skill duels in these tiers each season. The good showdown players should ideally not be divided in two tiers, so that they can compete against each other.

imo the main problem is the playoffs, teams being eliminated each week reduces the amount of people interested, and the matches that doesnt count for the awards even when those matches are actually harder

plus I dont actually see why we use the playoffs, if its to make the season last longer then just make 2 rounds or add more teams.