[PSL 8] Finals - Congratulations to the Hungry Salamences!!

25 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

DPP is actually super hype tier, we have quite a lot of really talented DPP players. But other than this, yeah- even randoms would be more entertaining than most of S/M or VGC matches

I can agree to this, I'm even finding it hard to find motivation in making a team in SUMO. VGC was a little more interesting imo, but the skill wasn't there

Ideally, I wish the PSL tiers were:

OU1

OU2

OU3

Spoiler

MMO OU is by far the most popular tier and should therefore get more representation.

UU1

UU2

Spoiler

MMO UU might be boring to some, but it remains arguably the tier with the most hype each season. It's where MMO gods face off each season to exert their dominance.

NU1

NU2

Spoiler

PSL without NU would be a joke. Having 2 NU tiers might be a lot, but I would rather see 1 more NU battle than some shitty ADV or SMOU duel.

DPP

Spoiler

Well, if we didn't have DPP, most of our bad inactive players would have nothing to do with themselves, so I guess throwing them a bone is acceptable.

DUBS1
DUBS2

LC

Spoiler

Bo3 that would be worth 2pts.

As much as I hate to admit it, DUBS is getting somewhat popular. Don't quote me on that because it's still shit. Forcing a dubs player to play potentially 3 duels per week is insane, especially if those duels are only worth 1 pt. LC is a mmo tier that is struggling to get competitive, but there are LC players despite how rng and match up based the tier is. Pairing up LC with DUBS in a Bo3 format would make sense since those are the most rng based tiers.

All of this  for a total of 10 pts.

I'd like some further reasoning on why 10 tiers would be preferred to 8. Were there worthy people that attempted to join PSL and did not get drafted? Personally speaking, seasons 6 and 7 felt like they had a lot of filler matches that had zero hype, but it also did give people the opportunity to prove themselves,  especially in slots like OU3/NU2.

The main reason why I chose 8  tiers this season was to make PSL a bit more selective/elite, by not allowing just any competitive player to get drafted and get a slot in the lineup, instead, requiring people to put in more effort in proving themselves to managers. But even this was not incentive enough for new and upcoming players to really put forth any effort into making themselves more appealing to managers (learning SM OU, DPP OU, doubles, etc, instead of choosing just OU or UU to play). SM OU had some lack of competition, although I still liked it exponentially more than VGC in past seasons. The main appeal of SM OU over something like LC was the ability to jump into the tier, as it is a showdown tier, and there are no limitations on what you can run on a team, unlike LC where it takes hours of investment breeding for it and there are limited opportunities to practice it, unlike SM OU, where you can play 50 matches in a day if you really wanted to, all against new and different players. LC also had a very low turnout in signups, even compared to SM OU.

The issue with showdown tiers in PSL in general is that they are a safe harbor for outdated competitive players that no longer actively play the game like the rest of the people who play in PSL (at least for the most part anyways). The other issue is that people are too afraid to pick up a new metagame with new mechanics and new pokemon, even though picking up a new metagame is quite rewarding in multiple ways (becoming more of an asset for PSL, being knowledgeable for future updates in Pokemmo, expanding your horizons for the current metagame of pokemon, etc).

I think I can safely say randoms won't be a part of PSL if I host again and I don't think mixing doubles and LC together is a good idea, as that will cut down the playerbase into like 5 people who play both of them, or doubles players will just get coached by an LC player during their match. 

Further discussion on issues in PSL will come later down the line. 

2 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

I'd like some further reasoning on why 10 tiers would be preferred to 8. Were there worthy people that attempted to join PSL and did not get drafted? Personally speaking, seasons 6 and 7 felt like they had a lot of filler matches that had zero hype, but it also did give people the opportunity to prove themselves,  especially in slots like OU3/NU2.

The main reason why I chose 8  tiers this season was to make PSL a bit more selective/elite, by not allowing just any competitive player to get drafted and get a slot in the lineup, instead, requiring people to put in more effort in proving themselves to managers. But even this was not incentive enough for new and upcoming players to really put forth any effort into making themselves more appealing to managers (learning SM OU, DPP OU, doubles, etc, instead of choosing just OU or UU to play). SM OU had some lack of competition, although I still liked it exponentially more than VGC in past seasons. The main appeal of SM OU over something like LC was the ability to jump into the tier, as it is a showdown tier, and there are no limitations on what you can run on a team, unlike LC where it takes hours of investment breeding for it and there are limited opportunities to practice it, unlike SM OU, where you can play 50 matches in a day if you really wanted to, all against new and different players. LC also had a very low turnout in signups, even compared to SM OU.

The issue with showdown tiers in PSL in general is that they are a safe harbor for outdated competitive players that no longer actively play the game like the rest of the people who play in PSL (at least for the most part anyways). The other issue is that people are too afraid to pick up a new metagame with new mechanics and new pokemon, even though picking up a new metagame is quite rewarding in multiple ways (becoming more of an asset for PSL, being knowledgeable for future updates in Pokemmo, expanding your horizons for the current metagame of pokemon, etc).

I think I can safely say randoms won't be a part of PSL if I host again and I don't think mixing doubles and LC together is a good idea, as that will cut down the playerbase into like 5 people who play both of them, or doubles players will just get coached by an LC player during their match. 

Further discussion on issues in PSL will come later down the line. 

someone tl;dr pls

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.