Safari better ball

Raederz

Question

Yo.

Suggestion to add 1 extra ball in safari runs that has a 100% catching rate (just like a master ball), in case you find a shiny.

If you dont want to make the game "way easier", well, you can make it more expensive like :

500$ -> 30 Safari Balls run

1500$ -> 30 Safari Balls and 1 Master Safari Ball run

Btw, finding a shiny is extremely rare so that's not a game changing. Still it's very cool to have regarding frustration from "shiny... fled".

12 answers to this question

They could just make masterball use able in safari. Therefore you can't always have that 1 guaranteed ball in the safari. Since if your masterballs are finished then it's finished. With Unova coming this gives you 3 chances at safari guarantee.

Edited by Ichigo

Is that kind of risk desired for a reward like shinies ?

I don't know any games that show you an extremely rare reward, and just announce "nope". To me, it's obviously for frustration reasons. Game is related to fun in my mind. There are many different way to have fun, from different kind of players, but I'm pretty sure no one have fun being powerless when they encounter safari shinies.

Also rip to all who already got their shiny running away back to the bushes but is it a reason to keep having it this way ?

This would massively devalue hard to catch Pokemon such as the Johto starters and the effort put into obtaining them, so I can guarantee that we won't be giving players a cheap Master Ball with each safari run.

This sort of blatantly flawed suggestion (and a few people supporting it without thinking about it) is something I see a lot, so I'll take this opportunity to share some general advice for the people who frequent this section - the more thought out and reasonable that a suggestion is, the higher the likelihood of the problem it seeks to solve being addressed. If it's a minor yet complex problem like this and we also have to come up with a solution from scratch, it tends to not be tweaked for a long time, if ever. These are some questions worth asking yourselves when making a suggestion;

"What is this suggestion trying to achieve?"
"What positive/negative impact will this have on the game?"
"Is there a way to lose the negatives without losing the positives?"
"Can this be done through a completely different method?"

From what I can gather, the underlying issue here is the paranoia associated with potentially encountering a shiny in the safari and having it flee from battle, making players not want to go to the safari. Giving players the ability to essentially purchase a temporary master ball is not an option due to the economic impact it would have on non-shiny rares, so let's look at an alternative; preventing shiny Pokemon from appearing in the safari at all. This would completely address the paranoia issue for those aware of the change, but it's perhaps not ideal as it would make safari-exclusive shinies extremely rare. This wouldn't be as much of an issue if no species are actually safari-exclusive however, which may eventually be the case as more regions are added.

If this alternative is undesirable, I encourage people to think of other alternatives that they would prefer to address the issue instead of simply building upon something that is realistically never going to happen. This applies to all suggestions, not this one in particular. @Ichigo has the right approach here, although his particular alternative isn't viable as it's both inconsistent with the rules of the world and ceases to fix the issue when players have used all of their Master Balls. In any case, this is how problems get solved - by thinking about the problem itself and considering the pros, cons, and overall effectiveness of a proposed solution, then finding other ways to do it if it's not going to work. The first thing that pops into a person's head is usually not going to be the right answer.

Well maybe it could be an only-shiny ball to prevent non-shiny value impact. 

Safari is still an "only single encounter" place, which makes safari mons already valuable. Maybe less than what we have actually, but just think about what the current value means (see above -> frustration gives value but is that good ?). Keeping values isnt a sine qua non argument, imo, it's just a short term obstacle.

Also, I do my best to submit suggestions that are not absurd, trying to make them as "acceptable" as possible. I know that odds I submit something directly perfect are low but still, here is  a forum thread. -> This is NOT a first idea thrown on forum

Edited by Raederz

I for one don't think it's a terrible idea, @RacheLucario. If priced correctly, the addition of a masterball shouldn't affect the value of the pokemon in question by much at all.

Take Chansey for example, there's a 5% chance that it holds a lucky egg (iirc). A Lucky Egg is worth, what, like 600-700k? So divide by 20 and you get an apprx worth of 30-35k. But if you factor in time and the chance of not even finding a chansey, you're probably looking at a value of 20-25k for a safari game in which you are given a masterball.

I don't know about you, but at that price I don't think the johto starters would be devalued at all, or really anything else for that matter.

edit:

Now, do I fully like this idea? Personally no. But I know a lot of people who are paranoid about safari, so I can see this as being a solution for that.

Edited by Gilan