Verification Privileges

Bestfriends

Question

Verification Privileges

9d78a5fa9119808050ef1c9d170a94cd.png

Good afternoon everyone, I have a proposal to offer that would make people happy. I would like to suggest a Verification system that would give players (handpicked by a committee of some sort) 5 privileges:

1. Linking power to any page on forums as suggested by xatu. *1

2. Veto power of players on DND (or Do Not Disturb mode)*2

3. Balls, Potions, and TMs are slightly cheaper since your not going through the story mode (ie: Ultra balls = $900 instead of $1200). I am purposefully doing -$300 so that mailing to alts would be more expensive than just buying supplies on the alt.

4. Giving players a badge in game that would not be confused with a staff badge. *3

5. You can get 45% off on each purchase in the gift shop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*1 = I feel that linking should be allowed only on players that are handpicked for itIf a certain player decides to act a bit nefarious and puts some unwanted cookies and viruses in the URL, then the player in question could have their Verification Privileges revoked.

*2 = Veto power on DND WILL NOT apply to staff members. If a player abuses this power, then he/she could have their Verification revoked. If possible, I would like to suggest a pop up before sending the whisper stating: "Are you sure you want to send a message to Player A because Player A is on Do Not Disturb mode?"

*3I would like players to have a badge beside their names so that they can be easy to identify if they abuse their power and it is also good for aesthetic reasons. Some newer players could ask these players if they are moderators, so by PokeMMO Law, they have to deny it. If they refuse to deny such privileges, they could have their Verification Privileges revoked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You may be asking as to how I thought of this idea, and the answer to that question is that Google has the same program for YouTubers. When a YouTuber is verified, a little checkmark is put by their names. I mentioned TheJwittz in a previous posting. If you want more detail as to how Verification works on Google, please check out this article: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3046484?hl=en

If there is anything that you would like to suggest that would help improve this feature or if you think there is an issue with it, please leave a comment below. I would love to hear your viewpoints on this proposal.

21 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

1. Linking power to any page on forums as suggested by xatu.

this is OK

2. Veto power of players on DND (or Do Not Disturb mode)

this isn't, if you don't want to be disturbed, no one outside of staff should be able to whisper you

7 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

3. Balls, Potions, and TMs are slightly cheaper since your not going through the story mode (ie: Ultra balls = $900 instead of $1200). I am purposefully doing -$300 so that mailing to alts would be more expensive than just buying supplies on the alt.

this seems completely irrelevant to the concept

8 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

4. Giving players a badge in game that would not be confused with a staff badge.

would still be mistaken for a staff badge, and overall isn't needed

9 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

5. You can get 45% off on each purchase in the gift shop.

lol

When people are "verified" in social media pages, it doesn't exactly mean that they are some sort of "premium" users of said website. Verified tags are given to popular people simply that the public knows that this account is controlled by that actual celebrity/known person and that it is not some fake account of said person. It seems like you're suggesting some sort of an arbitrarily decided "premium" account for some people which needless to say doesn't really bring equality in terms of community members.

And those perks are just so weird, like wtf.

50 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

this is OK

this isn't, if you don't want to be disturbed, no one outside of staff should be able to whisper you

this seems completely irrelevant to the concept

would still be mistaken for a staff badge, and overall isn't needed

lol

1. I am glad we are both in agreement.

2. In game, I've been on DND and some people had something to tell me, but were blocked by my DND status. I know I can unDND, but I don't really want to be bothered in game unless it is something very urgent. If a verified player decided to chat with me about a certain matter, I can chat with that said person as long as it does not interfere with my daily schedule. If someone is disturbing me without any cause, then I can report that said person for bothering me.

3. It is very relevant because it rewards things to vet players (I've seen several suggestions relating to daily in game monetary rewards, but I did not want to advocate for that)

4. I feel this badge is needed because it is easy to identify a verified player. Oh, what is his name.... uh.... Best.... BestBanana? With a verified badge, you can say, oh yeah, Bestfriends, he violated my DND space and claims he is a staff member and it would be pretty easy to do a sting on me.

5. I am glad that I made you laugh.

43 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

When people are "verified" in social media pages, it doesn't exactly mean that they are some sort of "premium" users of said website. Verified tags are given to popular people simply that the public knows that this account is controlled by that actual celebrity/known person and that it is not some fake account of said person. It seems like you're suggesting some sort of an arbitrarily decided "premium" account for some people which needless to say doesn't really bring equality in terms of community members.

And those perks are just so weird, like wtf.

There are some people in the game and on forums that everyone likes. @KaynineXL is a very good example of this. So far, no one of the PokeMMO playerbase dislikes Kaynine (as far as the people I had observed), so I feel that it would be a reward by both the community and staff for being liked in the community circles and the staff circles. In order to get this perk, you have to be well liked by a good 85% of the community and all of the staff. This is a perk that is very difficult to obtain, but it can be done. I can name a few players on the top of my mind who would get the perk if implemented

Spoiler

@KaynineXL, @Gunthug, @OrangeManiac (the author of this comment), @xSparkie, and there are much more players who I probably cannot remember as of the time I am constructing this comment.

Edited by Bestfriends
One word fix

3. It is very relevant because it rewards things to vet players (I've seen several suggestions relating to daily in game monetary rewards, but I did not want to advocate for that)

I don't think even staff members get such discounts, so why would a (((verified))) player be deserving?

8 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

In order to get this perk, you have to be well liked by a good 85% of the community and all of the staff.

How the hell will this number even be found and recorded? 

10 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

5. I am glad that I made you laugh.

If you're serious about this suggestion then it's not good to have anyone laughing at it.

1 hour ago, Bestfriends said:

here are some people in the game and on forums that everyone likes. @KaynineXL is a very good example of this. So far, no one of the PokeMMO playerbase dislikes Kaynine (as far as the people I had observed), so I feel that it would be a reward by both the community and staff for being liked in the community circles and the staff circles. In order to get this perk, you have to be well liked by a good 85% of the community and all of the staff. 

haha, while I appreciate that, it's definitely not true.

I think the linking power is a cool idea, and not just to those who get asked to link their guides, but also to those trustworthy comp players so they can link brackets of their unofficials. 

no verification process would prevent #1 from spreading malware. verification process in general are meant to stop bots and banned users by adding a phone # or some other difficult to repetitively fake information. 

mr hacker can easily play the game for a bit to get verification then abuse it, or a long term player could decide one day "fuck so and so im going to hack him". this does not solve the problem.

This suggestion is sheer wtf

Having a system where one player can be naturally better than another based on a random ass committee deciding that they should be popular is not a good idea. Also this system allows for other players to have a natural advantage in the story. I COMPLETELY disagree with most of this suggestion, kinda wish the dislike button was a thing now.

I do agree that linking power would be a cool idea i guess but the rest of the suggestion just lost me.

5 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

I don't think even staff members get such discounts, so why would a (((verified))) player be deserving?

How the hell will this number even be found and recorded? 

If you're serious about this suggestion then it's not good to have anyone laughing at it.

1. If staff don't even get that, then I am willing to have the feature without the in game discount.

2. In the general discussion, have a poll and then people can vote on it. Staff can pick the names that they like and post it.

"Fill in the bubbles of the players who make you feel good about PokeMMO (have the option of picking more than one player)

a) KaynineXL

b) DogXL

c) WorstFriends

d) LovinYourDay (This is a player name I made up)"

Lets do 50 votes for that person instead of 85%. Another thing to note is fake forums accounts, so to counter that problem, have the voters shown only to staff members.

3. Not necessarily. Sometimes suggestions can be hilarious and innovative. I am sure some people were laughing at Steve Jobs out of humour and amazement when the brand new iPhone was announced.

3 hours ago, fredrichnietze said:

no verification process would prevent #1 from spreading malware. verification process in general are meant to stop bots and banned users by adding a phone # or some other difficult to repetitively fake information. 

mr hacker can easily play the game for a bit to get verification then abuse it, or a long term player could decide one day "fuck so and so im going to hack him". this does not solve the problem.

Verification is a difficult thing to get, but if the person wants to harm others by hacking, then he will have to pay. Mr. Hacker could also be contacted by PokeMMO via email having a legal threat against him for trying to hack people. Since PokeMMO requires you to put in your email, that is a strong possibility. You might say that the guy may use that email just for gaming, no problem! (Assuming he uses Gmail) He has to give out his phone number before he starts an email. All PokeMMO has to do is send a legal letter over to Google saying that he tried to hack players from our game and then Google can then give out the guy's phone number. Overall, Mr. Hacker has something to fear if he decides to do some hits on PokeMMO.

3 hours ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

This suggestion is sheer wtf

Having a system where one player can be naturally better than another based on a random ass committee deciding that they should be popular is not a good idea. Also this system allows for other players to have a natural advantage in the story. I COMPLETELY disagree with most of this suggestion, kinda wish the dislike button was a thing now.

I do agree that linking power would be a cool idea i guess but the rest of the suggestion just lost me.

Hello FuzzyRegirock, let me try to clear things up. It is the community's choice if he/she can become Verified. Yes staff have the ultimate power by putting up people in the poll, but it is the community that has the power to vote on said person. There can be a committee, but their power is limited because they can only put the player up in the polling service for the community to vote on. I hope I had not lost you in my explanation.

Hello FuzzyRegirock, let me try to clear things up. It is the community's choice if he/she can become Verified. Yes staff have the ultimate power by putting up people in the poll, but it is the community that has the power to vote on said person. There can be a committee, but their power is limited because they can only put the player up in the polling service for the community to vote on. I hope I had not lost you in my explanation.

Then this game just becomes a popularity contest and people would suck up to staff even more

21 minutes ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

Then this game just becomes a popularity contest and people would suck up to staff even more

If people know you as a nice person, why would it be a popularity contest? This is going to promote kinder acts as well as election mail:

"FuzzyRegirock, please vote for me! Here is 50k! Take it my good pal!"

"DoubleJ, I love that LYLE helmet of yours. I know your making comps, so how about I give you 10 Everstones for that new project of yours!"

Most people in the community would profit from this and this would likely get shy players out of their shell. They can ask newer players on the street, "hey that is a nice Machoke you have, but can I have the honour of turning that into a Machamp?" I see it more as a positive thing than a negative thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to your other point, here is how you get staff to like you....

1. Be helpful to people

2. Don't break rules

3. Don't annoy them

It is so easy, but very few people know those basic things. There are people who spit on staff everyday of their existence and others that constantly annoy the daylights out of them. The happy middle ground is a good place to rest on. Be polite to them, but don't boggle them down. I am not sure about your standing with staff, but this is quite simple.

Edited by Bestfriends
clarification
50 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

Verification is a difficult thing to get, but if the person wants to harm others by hacking, then he will have to pay. Mr. Hacker could also be contacted by PokeMMO via email having a legal threat against him for trying to hack people. Since PokeMMO requires you to put in your email, that is a strong possibility. You might say that the guy may use that email just for gaming, no problem! (Assuming he uses Gmail) He has to give out his phone number before he starts an email. All PokeMMO has to do is send a legal letter over to Google saying that he tried to hack players from our game and then Google can then give out the guy's phone number. Overall, Mr. Hacker has something to fear if he decides to do some hits on PokeMMO.

https://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html?dswid=3994

https://www.guerrillamail.com/

or he could just hack into someone else's email and use it. 

also regardless of whether you can catch the person after the fact, this feature could allow people to hack other players and that's not ok. even if you could with 100% certainty catch the hacker every time(which is total fantasy land here) by allowing it to happen in the first place pokemmo opens up the possibility of being sued or getting in legal trouble.

there is no work around.

39 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

If people know you as a nice person, why would it be a popularity contest? This is going to promote kinder acts as well as election mail:

"FuzzyRegirock, please vote for me! Here is 50k! Take it my good pal!"

"DoubleJ, I love that LYLE helmet of yours. I know your making comps, so how about I give you 10 Everstones for that new project of yours!"

Most people in the community would profit from this and this would likely get shy players out of their shell. They can ask newer players on the street, "hey that is a nice Machoke you have, but can I have the honour of turning that into a Machamp?" I see it more as a positive thing than a negative thing.

thats called BRIBING, if anything it would cause even more conflict in an otherwise stable game

41 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

As to your other point, here is how you get staff to like you....

1. Be helpful to people

2. Don't break rules

3. Don't annoy them

It is so easy, but very few people know those basic things. There are people who spit on staff everyday of their existence and others that constantly annoy the daylights out of them. The happy middle ground is a good place to rest on. Be polite to them, but don't boggle them down. I am not sure about your standing with staff, but this is quite simple.

If you say that few people break these things, that mean a majority of the people in the game are nice to staff correct? If one person is to be elected, who do you think the staff are going to choose; the one that sucks up to them in every way possible or the lesser known middleground person who is generally nice to staff out of respect but doesnt get recognized for it at all?

15 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

https://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html?dswid=3994

https://www.guerrillamail.com/

or he could just hack into someone else's email and use it. 

also regardless of whether you can catch the person after the fact, this feature could allow people to hack other players and that's not ok. even if you could with 100% certainty catch the hacker every time(which is total fantasy land here) by allowing it to happen in the first place pokemmo opens up the possibility of being sued or getting in legal trouble.

there is no work around.

There is one simple work around, if the person uses those websites, then he/she will be temp banned until he/she punches in a legit email. Other than that, PokeMMO can sue the hacker until he/she gives up on hacking. You raised a very important issue and PokeMMO should ban usage of those websites that you linked.

4 minutes ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

thats called BRIBING, if anything it would cause even more conflict in an otherwise stable game

If you say that few people break these things, that mean a majority of the people in the game are nice to staff correct? If one person is to be elected, who do you think the staff are going to choose; the one that sucks up to them in every way possible or the lesser known middleground person who is generally nice to staff out of respect but doesnt get recognized for it at all?

1. I see people complaining about breeding being too expensive. I feel that this would be a simple solution. Most elections (if not all US elections) require some form of bribery. Wal-Mart paid for Jeb Bush, Google paid for Hillary Clinton, and Donald Trump is a rarity in that he needed no bribes to keep up in the race. This is kind of the same thing, but it helps out people who are in a pickle. What happens if your broke that day? You can rely on election yen to help you. I don't think it would conflict with PokeMMO, if anything, it would make things easier to obtain.

2. Believe it or not, staff would actually pick the second option. Staff would like someone to be nice and leave them alone. No need for flowers, just being a good person and you should be good. I am not going to name anyone, but some staff cannot stand how certain people would just fawn over them. They like being left alone and seeing nice acts done by nice players. Don't bother them with love nor hatred and you should be good.

Just now, Bestfriends said:

There is one simple work around, if the person uses those websites, then he/she will be temp banned until he/she punches in a legit email. Other than that, PokeMMO can sue the hacker until he/she gives up on hacking. You raised a very important issue and PokeMMO should ban usage of those websites that you linked.

that's not a fix. mr hacker can just use john the ripper to brute force legit email accounts. and how is pokemmo to know who the hacker is? 

3 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

that's not a fix. mr hacker can just use john the ripper to brute force legit email accounts. and how is pokemmo to know who the hacker is? 

I mean, do an all round temp ban on all the people who used those websites until they punch in legit emails that are permanent. Send an email saying "within 10 days, respond to this email or you will get a temp banned and be forced to issue another email." Mr. Hacker's IP and John The Ripper's IP are two different IPs. If PokeMMO sends that email, then John the Ripper can say "I do not have a PokeMMO account" and simply put, Mr. Hacker is going to get a temp ban. To be sure it is a legit email, Mr. Hacker is sent another email and then he has to respond with "yes that is me." PokeMMO can put the username in the email to ensure that it is the same person.

I mean, do an all round temp ban on all the people who used those websites until they punch in legit emails that are permanent. Send an email saying "within 10 days, respond to this email or you will get a temp banned and be forced to issue another email." Mr. Hacker's IP and John The Ripper's IP are two different IPs. If PokeMMO sends that email, then John the Ripper can say "I do not have a PokeMMO account" and simply put, Mr. Hacker is going to get a temp ban. To be sure it is a legit email, Mr. Hacker is sent another email and then he has to respond with "yes that is me." PokeMMO can put the username in the email to ensure that it is the same person.

john the ripper is a program used to brute force passwords.

also ip=/=person look up "vpn" and "proxy"

knowing someones email=/=knowing their ip

their is no way to prevent people from using fake emails. 

6 minutes ago, Gilan said:

there seems to be a lot of issues with this suggestion, considering that this is basically just a CM (ignoring the op benefits) without staff responsibilities.

I do not support.

Just now, fredrichnietze said:

john the ripper is a program used to brute force passwords.

also ip=/=person look up "vpn" and "proxy"

knowing someones email=/=knowing their ip

their is no way to prevent people from using fake emails. 

I guess this suggestion is dead on arrival. Thanks for the heated debate guys. You have to know when to call it quits and if someone as well respected as Gilan is not on your side, just don't even try. Thus, I am going to advocate for this suggestion to be locked.