Allow Linking Of Hyper-Links to the Forums, In-Game

Xatu

Question

30 minutes ago, Xatu said:

It would allow us to link n00bs to tuts on the forums whenever they ask specific questions.

Have the link shorten too to not display it all as to not spam the chat so like " https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?.... 

22f38da89cf55d6180fc53e5e7f8d409.png

If I may, I would like to add to this idea, on YouTube there is a little checkmark beside the name of the content creator and if you hover your mouse on the checkmark, it should say "Verified." There are a lot of cyber geniuses with very nefarious intentions, perhaps sharing a forums link with a little cookie inside the URL. Unless your really good at cyber warfare like @XelaKebert or @Ronax, I don't feel that this is a good plan. The reason I would like the "Verified" feature on PokeMMO is so that the average joe does not have access to the forums, but only the well polished players like @KaynineXL can link forums articles and such. If staff want, they can revoke a person's linking power at any time.

For more on this feature, please read this article: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3046484?hl=en

Politically speaking, I dislike YouTube's level of censorship, but the PokeMMO government is a lot more stable and they tend to listen to players. You all wanted Unova, so the devs are developing Unova. I trust the PokeMMO government to give certain people the ability to link forums stuff.

Edited by Bestfriends
Cleared up some thoughts

lets say im a uguu and want to create a large botnet that is not traceable back to me because some guy beat me in pokemon using hax and so im going to ddos this motherfucker because fuck him. well i have this problem being i need to get root access on thousands of pc's and install some software to control them discretely and set it up as a network so i can tell one bot who tells another ect. first step is finding a exploit to use but lets say i already have one. lets say its one of the literally hundreds of javascript exploits (use no script or get wrecked) and i just need to get your pc to read some javascript and im in and the rest can be automated. 

^

by the way bot nets are often sold as a ddos service for lots of money on the dark web and various governments want them to do false flag opperations, and ofc their are the anonymous's of the world not just black hats.

anywho so i the uguu hacker have this problem of needing to exploit a lot of computers to javascript. well if you go to a website and your browser does not have no scsript then boom problem solved you will auto load it up and i gotchu(dont risky click). so now i set up my domain for 5$ and have some bs website i mostly copy pasted off of stack exchange, but the internet is a large place and i need people to actually come to my site. click bait has been used the fuck out of and only old people click on everything they get emailed(RIGHT? dont be that idiot who got owned and had his chrome extension used to install malware on millions of devices) so how am i going to do it?

"new update leaked goo.gl/SsAhv"

1 hour ago, fredrichnietze said:

lets say im a uguu and want to create a large botnet that is not traceable back to me because some guy beat me in pokemon using hax and so im going to ddos this motherfucker because fuck him. well i have this problem being i need to get root access on thousands of pc's and install some software to control them discretely and set it up as a network so i can tell one bot who tells another ect. first step is finding a exploit to use but lets say i already have one. lets say its one of the literally hundreds of javascript exploits (use no script or get wrecked) and i just need to get your pc to read some javascript and im in and the rest can be automated. 

^

by the way bot nets are often sold as a ddos service for lots of money on the dark web and various governments want them to do false flag opperations, and ofc their are the anonymous's of the world not just black hats.

anywho so i the uguu hacker have this problem of needing to exploit a lot of computers to javascript. well if you go to a website and your browser does not have no scsript then boom problem solved you will auto load it up and i gotchu(dont risky click). so now i set up my domain for 5$ and have some bs website i mostly copy pasted off of stack exchange, but the internet is a large place and i need people to actually come to my site. click bait has been used the fuck out of and only old people click on everything they get emailed(RIGHT? dont be that idiot who got owned and had his chrome extension used to install malware on millions of devices) so how am i going to do it?

"new update leaked goo.gl/SsAhv"

What are you even trying to say? Did you even understood what was the suggestion actually about?

13 hours ago, LiquidFrost said:

What are you even trying to say

if you enable this in game it is only a manner of time before this game will be used as a platform to distribute malware to children. i thought this was obvious by my rather long post. have you tried reading it? 

13 hours ago, LiquidFrost said:

Did you even understood what was the suggestion actually about?

yes 

4 hours ago, Parke said:

He asked for only pokemmo forum links to be the ones that embed Fred you dumb fuck

and is that going to be client side(like all chat) or server? will forums.pokemmo.fill in the blank.com work? forums.pokemmo.eu?au? a work around will be found. bugs happen and in the hands of hackers those bugs become exploits. and the consequences of "whoops someone committed large scale malware attack through our game" is the devs get a knock on their door with a full police swat team and a warrant for everything and several days of questioning for the devs "because they are possibly in league with hackers and if not they know something we can use. the evidence aka the servers will be returned after months too years because "fuck you we cant be bothered to clone hard drives and fuck you for letting this happen". 

Edited by fredrichnietze
tfw when .net is auto corrected to .eu

Yeah, there is definitely a security risk letting people just paste links (even if they look like forums.pokemmo.eu links) in game.

I think a nice work around is having a direct link to the guide section of the forum in the help window (near the top of it). That way, we can just say: "Press H, and click on the link for guides. You should find a guide that will help you with blah blah blah"

9 hours ago, Noad said:

Pretty much how this function would be used:

15dbf5dd5bcf520da76b2cf4c0b6b24a.png

or

782bd325822bc2fafb119eb5bc99c6e4.png

or

ea105a280138549dff7d04ae5a652ac7.png

Easy fix would be to only allow linking to the guides section.  

It would certainly draw ppl to the forums.  While were at it you guys should have some ads for non-members lol.

18 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Easy fix would be to only allow linking to the guides section.  

It would certainly draw ppl to the forums.  While were at it you guys should have some ads for non-members lol.

Seems like a lot of effort just to allow linking a very specific section. At that point we may as well add a link to the guide tavern in the FAQ. Not to mention there is almost always a staff member watching the chat for such occasions. Also ads would be a very bad idea as it would only act as an annoyance and possibly turn people away.

9 hours ago, Noad said:

or

or

I almost posted something similar last night, but yours turned out much better

7 minutes ago, Kizhaz said:

Seems like a lot of effort just to allow linking a very specific section. At that point we may as well add a link to the guide tavern in the FAQ.

Yeah but still not simple enough for some n00bs to figure out how to find the guide they need rather than having it handed to them. 

Not to mention there is almost always a staff member watching the chat for such occasions.

Posting answers manually is awesome but perhaps mods could atleast pool responses from an easy to use txt file to quickly link to pertinent forum posts.  Ive never seen a mod link to a guide

Also ads would be a very bad idea as it would only act as an annoyance and possibly turn people away.

Just simple banner ads, nothing crazy lol.  I and many others wouldnt mind them knowing that it helps supports the game and keep the servers up and supports devs to have more time to create.

32 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Posting answers manually is awesome but perhaps mods could atleast pool responses from an easy to use txt file to quickly link to pertinent forum posts.  Ive never seen a mod link to a guide

I have, they definitely do this numerous times on a daily basis.

But I can see where you are coming from regarding players being able to link Guide Tavern theeads. I see players talking about Gilan's Breeding Guide a lot. In my opinion it should be linked in the FAQ.

2 hours ago, Eggplant said:

People will start making shops in guide section

Aaand they'll be shortly deleted seeing as theyll stand out in a board with about 2 new threads a year.

How is the game going to differentiate between a guide section thread and any other sections thread, is one concern I have.  Unlike the forum section itself, the threads do not contain the forum sections ID#, and look like every other thread on the forums.

Even if there were a way, I am not sure Gilan/Freds issues have been addressed by doing this, if those sorts of things are possible.

7 minutes ago, Munya said:

How is the game going to differentiate between a guide section thread and any other sections thread, is one concern I have.  Unlike the forum section itself, the threads do not contain the forum sections ID#, and look like every other thread on the forums.

Restructure of that board would have to happen, perhaps a new page.  Like guides.pokemmo.eu/guide

7 minutes ago, Munya said:

Even if there were a way, I am not sure Gilan/Freds issues have been addressed by doing this, if those sorts of things are possible.

Send it through cloudflare or something similar.

45 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Restructure of that board would have to happen, perhaps a new page.  Like guides.pokemmo.eu/guide

Send it through cloudflare or something similar.

and at that point, it is way too much effort.

5 hours ago, Munya said:

How is the game going to differentiate between a guide section thread and any other sections thread, is one concern I have.  Unlike the forum section itself, the threads do not contain the forum sections ID#, and look like every other thread on the forums

it's possible but costly in cpu and ram resources. you could create a database of guides section urls and the game would check every url posted to see if it matches up. if it matches up then it works as a link, if it doesnt match up it doesnt work as a link. the problem with this is the server will have to be checking the forums constantly to look for new guides to add to the database, and comparing this database to every url posted inn game. this is very resource heavy. further more the chat is client side so the server would have to take over some of that which is not ideal and it would be a shit ton of work.

and ofc this could probably be exploited as a way to essentially dos the server by spamming links with a lot of accounts constantly, and there would probably be a exploit or two in there somewhere.

On 16/08/2017 at 5:51 PM, Noad said:

or

or

lmao

can I put one of these on my sig?

On 19/08/2017 at 1:40 PM, XelaKebert said:

This exact item will not be happening. It creates a very real security concern for users to make all hyperlinks clickable.

Maybe it could be done if the guy sending the link was on the receiver's friend list? I mean, links sent on the team chat are already clickable, and I never heard of anyone getting hacked because of that

Edited by Kyokatsu