[Forum event] Orange's Teambuilding Challenge - Part 1 - The hidden gems

3 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

After some precious input from my teammates, I've decided to declare the winner of the first teambuilding contest to be Kaynine's OU Electabuzz.

Almost unanimously we agreed that the most creative, yet effective unused Pokemon in a certain tier was Kaynine's entry about Electabuzz in OU. What made this entry so good is that the entry analysed the metagame well by bringing up presumably the OU's best electric type's (Jolteon's) biggest and most notable downfall as a sweeper - its ability Volt Absorb, which when Traced by Porygon2 or Gardevoir limits its powerful sweeping capabilities and therefor offering Electabuzz as a viable alternative. In addition, Kaynine's moveset for OU Electabuzz with Thunderbolt, Psychic, Hidden Power Grass and Cross Chop was agreed to be a very useful moveset in the current metagame. Addressing Cross Chop's damage on Umbreon and Porygon2 was really needed part of the post. Comparing the negative traits compared to Jolteon (mainly lack of speed) was also explained that which threats will now become more scary against you than they would be if you used Jolteon was also a very needed part of the post. Maybe some support mons could have been speculated but as sweeper's main role is to sweep, Kaynine addressed mainly the Pokemon that could ruin your sweeper's sweep which obviously is the most important part of the analysis of a sweeper Pokemon.

Like I said, there were so many amazing posts that it was really hard to pick only one and I didn't wanna go broke by rewarding like 6 entries. (Also I don't have even enough RP for that). Gonna host more of these probably quite soon, thanks and stay tuned!

@KaynineXL That will be 50k. IGN: Tranzmaster

12 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

After some precious input from my teammates, I've decided to declare the winner of the first teambuilding contest to be Kaynine's OU Electabuzz.

Almost unanimously we agreed that the most creative, yet effective unused Pokemon in a certain tier was Kaynine's entry about Electabuzz in OU. What made this entry so good is that the entry analysed the metagame well by bringing up presumably the OU's best electric type's (Jolteon's) biggest and most notable downfall as a sweeper - its ability Volt Absorb, which when Traced by Porygon2 or Gardevoir limits its powerful sweeping capabilities and therefor offering Electabuzz as a viable alternative. In addition, Kaynine's moveset for OU Electabuzz with Thunderbolt, Psychic, Hidden Power Grass and Cross Chop was agreed to be a very useful moveset in the current metagame. Addressing Cross Chop's damage on Umbreon and Porygon2 was really needed part of the post. Comparing the negative traits compared to Jolteon (mainly lack of speed) was also explained that which threats will now become more scary against you than they would be if you used Jolteon was also a very needed part of the post. Maybe some support mons could have been speculated but as sweeper's main role is to sweep, Kaynine addressed mainly the Pokemon that could ruin your sweeper's sweep which obviously is the most important part of the analysis of a sweeper Pokemon.

Like I said, there were so many amazing posts that it was really hard to pick only one and I didn't wanna go broke by rewarding like 6 entries. (Also I don't have even enough RP for that). Gonna host more of these probably quite soon, thanks and stay tuned!

Haha, thanks. I look forward to more.

Since you guys voted it, I'l go ahead and add some more tips for you all.

My actual set is Tbolt, Hp Ice, Psychic, Cross Chop(low kick used to be awesome for Snorlax, the 100% acc and more damage was real good). 

I would use Naive/Hasty nature(Hasty is better right now, Naive was decent for taking a Bslam better from lax), and I would just hit 168/169 speed, since there's no other(real) 105 speed tiered Pokemon in OU, you don't really want to waste anymore since you're beating +speed Flygons and modest Starmies, you're really not getting much out of the additional speed. The rest you can put into attack, which can be helpful.

Spoiler

f5bd00d371f9bacf1818a9773b61791f.png

Remember this is inaccurate as the IVs are not HP ice

I believe HP Ice to be better because since you faster than non-scarf Flygons, you might as well OHKO them with HP ice. HP grass isn't that important, you already have Psychic to hit the Swampers/Quagsires(and you're hitting them fairly hard with orb). There really isn't anything in the tier that can wall it completely to the point where it does no damage, the coverage is really good. I'd say fully sp def calm Venusaurs do the best job, even though Psychic -sp def drops can be nasty for them. Umbreon isn't too bad either, you'd pretty much have to just wish and stall the orb damage, but cross chop has higher crit chance which can be quite devastating. Finally, Sp def Arcanine/Gard is alright, but it's still a bit sketchy coming on Tbolts, it only takes a para.

34 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon on a critical hit: 166-196 (82.1 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Finally, for you lazy HP breeders, you can use Ice punch instead of HP ice if you like, you get more out of HP ice since the sp attack stat is much higher, but Ice Punch still does the job of killing Flygon.

34 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Ice Punch vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 160-192 (102.5 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Edited by KaynineXL
3 hours ago, KaynineXL said:

Haha, thanks. I look forward to more.

Since you guys voted it, I'l go ahead and add some more tips for you all.

My actual set is Tbolt, Hp Ice, Psychic, Cross Chop(low kick used to be awesome for Snorlax, the 100% acc and more damage was real good). 

I would use Naive/Hasty nature(Hasty is better right now, Naive was decent for taking a Bslam better from lax), and I would just hit 168/169 speed, since there's no other(real) 105 speed tiered Pokemon in OU, you don't really want to waste anymore since you're beating +speed Flygons and modest Starmies, you're really not getting much out of the additional speed. The rest you can put into attack, which can be helpful.

Reveal hidden contents

f5bd00d371f9bacf1818a9773b61791f.png

Remember this is inaccurate as the IVs are not HP ice

I believe HP Ice to be better because since you faster than non-scarf Flygons, you might as well OHKO them with HP ice. HP grass isn't that important, you already have Psychic to hit the Swampers/Quagsires(and you're hitting them fairly hard with orb). There really isn't anything in the tier that can wall it completely to the point where it does no damage, the coverage is really good. I'd say fully sp def calm Venusaurs do the best job, even though Psychic -sp def drops can be nasty for them. Umbreon isn't too bad either, you'd pretty much have to just wish and stall the orb damage, but cross chop has higher crit chance which can be quite devastating. Finally, Sp def Arcanine/Gard is alright, but it's still a bit sketchy coming on Tbolts, it only takes a para.

34 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon on a critical hit: 166-196 (82.1 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Finally, for you lazy HP breeders, you can use Ice punch instead of HP ice if you like, you get more out of HP ice since the sp attack stat is much higher, but Ice Punch still does the job of killing Flygon.

34 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Ice Punch vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 160-192 (102.5 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

32 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon on a critical hit: 120-143 (59.4 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

the correct damage calc (gen 4 calc has 2x damage for crits, while we have 1.5x)

I'd say jolteon is still better for the most part. It has better base stats across the board besides attack, and it has toxic to beat porygon/gardevoir. Relying on cross chop to beat some big threats is not reliable in my books when it can miss and only has 8 pp (probably worth checking if focus punch+tbolt kos porygon/umbreon). 

1 hour ago, BurntZebra said:

32 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon on a critical hit: 120-143 (59.4 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

the correct damage calc (gen 4 calc has 2x damage for crits, while we have 1.5x)

I'd say jolteon is still better for the most part. It has better base stats across the board besides attack, and it has toxic to beat porygon/gardevoir. Relying on cross chop to beat some big threats is not reliable in my books when it can miss and only has 8 pp (probably worth checking if focus punch+tbolt kos porygon/umbreon). 

4 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Porygon2: 138-164 (71.8 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Porygon2: 66-78 (34.3 - 40.6%) -- 33.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 117-140 (57.9 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 52-62 (25.7 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Pory dies, Umb does not- unless you predict that Wish and have some balls to fire off a second focus punch. Gardevoir also walls pretty badly, I'm quite positive specially defensive (spinblocker) Dusclops can take it on as well and same goes for Swampert.

I would change HP Ice for HP Grass and put Ice Punch instead of Psychic. There isn't much of a reason to run psychic here in OU aside from Venusaur, HP grass gives additional coverage over Swampert while Ice Punch still OHKOs Flygon and dents Venusaur, while also having that nifty 10% freeze chance.

Having a special set like this, makes Raichu a big competitor to it- while Raichu is faster and sacrifices 5 special attack for 7 more attack.

7 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

The real question though, who was 2nd Place? 

@OrangeManiac for my ego ofc. 

Really difficult to say. I considered your post to be the most comprehensive, LifeStyle's post to be the funniest, Forfi got bonus points for multiple Gator sets. Also Aimi's and Coolio's builds definitely had their solid places in the metagame but weren't as innovative as we considered Electabuzz to be. I was only asking from my teammates which they considered the best one under the description I gave and nearly everyone liked the Electabuzz the most, so no actual second place can really be determined.

Edited by OrangeManiac
6 hours ago, BurntZebra said:

Yeh I don't like CC much, not reliable for me but I don't think its a main reason to use Ebuzz anyway. Jolteon is better no doubt, I do think buzz has a niche which can make it the better elec type though.

4 hours ago, RysPicz said:
4 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Porygon2: 138-164 (71.8 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Porygon2: 66-78 (34.3 - 40.6%) -- 33.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Life Orb Electabuzz Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 117-140 (57.9 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 52-62 (25.7 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Pory dies, Umb does not- unless you predict that Wish and have some balls to fire off a second focus punch. Gardevoir also walls pretty badly, I'm quite positive specially defensive (spinblocker) Dusclops can take it on as well and same goes for Swampert.

I would change HP Ice for HP Grass and put Ice Punch instead of Psychic. There isn't much of a reason to run psychic here in OU aside from Venusaur, HP grass gives additional coverage over Swampert while Ice Punch still OHKOs Flygon and dents Venusaur, while also having that nifty 10% freeze chance.

Having a special set like this, makes Raichu a big competitor to it- while Raichu is faster and sacrifices 5 special attack for 7 more attack.

I think Venusaur is too common to drop Psychic, you would be at the point where you cant even fight the offensive orb Venusaurs(I didn't calc, but I don't think ice punch would do enough). Surely that isn't worth it. Psychic is already doing good damage to Swamp which has no recovery - although yes, you'd need to predict whereas you wouldn't with hp grass.

I forgot about Dusc tbh, that would wall it fairly well. Interestingly you say Dusc and Gard, both raped by doom. Could make for some nice synergy although maybe there's other mons that could take advantage of that better.

On 2017-08-21 at 8:25 AM, OrangeManiac said:

On 2017-08-17 at 8:06 PM, DaftCoolio said:

I prefer winning

lol

• Mike locked this topic