[PSL 8] Quarterfinals

13 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

It screws over offense builds too. You see one pokemon and it reveals it's choice scarf, now you know nothing else can be choice scarf on the opponent's team. Same logic with any other move. There's a reason why item clause is literally never a thing.

My match was prolonged because Sparkie wasn't really willing to take any risks at any point in the match until it had already been going on for 3+ hours. Admittedly, the game could have been shorter if I ran a different team, but I felt confident enough in the team, especially since I basically had no idea what sparkie was planning to run, since the last tournament he was in was about a month ago. A lot of the weaknesses I noted in his team he ran in that tournament were patched up in the PSL match. My initial thought was to rely on pursuit sneasel+silk scarf kangaskhan as his team relied on misdreavus+scizor as normal resists. Growth vaporeon was also a thought as his special wall was miltank and he generally didn't have much for it. And then PSL comes around where he has a 252 hp armaldo as his normal check and mantine+tbolt clefable as vaporeon checks.

A large part of PSL is a guessing game on what your opponent is running. Will your opponent run what they've run in the past? Will your opponent run a counter team to what you've run in the past? Will your opponent get a team from a team mate? The possibilities are endless. I don't think either team from me or sparkie were to blame for the long match, just the inevitable war of matchups in PSL. 

yeah exactly my point you were there with a safe team just because you didn't know what the hell could he run since no participation in tourneys lately and you felt comfortable with the team and he probably thought the same but for different reasons. Also with that team zeb you can't blame him for not taking risks, he's already not taking any when bringing that team so it's naive to think he would play risky or something, don't you think?

Just now, Arimanius said:

yeah exactly my point you were there with a safe team just because you didn't know what the hell could he run since no participation in tourneys lately and you felt comfortable with the team and he probably thought the same but for different reasons. Also with that team zeb you can't blame him for not taking risks, he's already not taking any when bringing that team so it's naive to think he would play risky or something, don't you think?

Taking risks is an important part of the game typically, unless you're running stall and can win on matchup alone. If it's +2 scizor vs altaria, and I've switched out altaria to blastoise/cradily like 8 times in a row, eventually you should be able to muster up the courage to stay in and superpower/steel wing to get a ko, considering flamethrower doesn't OHKO scizor. 

3 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

@Kimikozen if you legit think you won without the aid of rng then you're kidding me:

1) Def drop on Zong

2) The roll favored you on Zong on the turn that I toxic'd. I didn't know you were CB until I saw damage roll on Gliscor. 

3) Had I toxic'd, then Zapdos could stall out TTar

4) Superpower crit on Starmie

5) Mag paralyzing on Zap gave you a free BP

This is the one that really mattered and changed the whole match. Otherwise, I think that the hax did not effect the way my last would have been played.  

edit: but yes i agree the rng did aid me, im just saying in the end probably wouldn't have mattered (except for superpower crit, that may have allowed u to outplay)

Edited by Kimikozen
1 minute ago, NikhilR said:

What misplay?

are you saying you made the right play by not using toxic to stall him out?

which in that case couldnt count as a reason for your loss 

Edited by Bilburt
Just now, Kimikozen said:

This is the one that really mattered and changed the whole match. Otherwise, I think that the hax did not effect the way my last would have been played.  

edit: but yes i agree the rng did aid me, im just saying in the end probably wouldn't have mattered (except for superpower crit, that may have allowed u to outplay)

But you can't ignore the def drop + high roll on Crunch from TTar? Had I toxic'd TTar, I could've let poison take as much damage as possible while switching around. The superpower crit did matter, but that alone wasn't the deciding factor. It was both of them collectively that put me in a bad spot. 

Just now, Bilburt said:

are you saying you made the right play by not using toxic to stall him out?

which in that case couldnt count as a reason for your loss 

Man read point number two once again. 

6 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

But you can't ignore the def drop + high roll on Crunch from TTar? Had I toxic'd TTar, I could've let poison take as much damage as possible while switching around. The superpower crit did matter, but that alone wasn't the deciding factor. It was both of them collectively that put me in a bad spot. 

I've never really considered rolls hax as they are pretty much unavoidable in every game u play. From my point of view, crunch does around 57% average, so defense drop just aided in my roll. (Idk bronzong set, but standard tank zong takes about 53-62. I assume yours has more defense now that you've said this I suppose.)  The way I would have played with or without defense drop would have been probably the same. I can see where you are coming from though, if my tar was toxiced it would have been completely different game. 

Edited by Kimikozen
Just now, Kimikozen said:

I've never really considered rolls hax as they are pretty much unavoidable in every game u play. From my point of view, crunch does around 57% average, so defense drop just aided in my roll. (Idk bronzong set, but standard tank zong takes about 53-62. I assume yours has more defense now that you've said this I suppose.)  The way I would have played with or without defense drop would have been probably the same. I can see where you are coming from though, if my tar was toxiced it would have been completely different game. 

Yeah I ran sassy nature but split defenses with around 140 ish evs or so in defense. But it doesn't matter now, well played. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.