[PSL 8] Quarterfinals

Just now, LuisPocho said:

I wouldnt be that wrong if I said that most high level UU matches becomes stallfests

It's more about high end players wanting to play safe. A long game favors the more experienced player, so it is understandable why most players resort to walls. Aggression is very hard to pull off, but it can find its way through the walliest teams.

16 minutes ago, OldKeith said:

It's more about high end players wanting to play safe. A long game favors the more experienced player, so it is understandable why most players resort to walls. Aggression is very hard to pull off, but it can find its way through the walliest teams.

yeah, thats true, and that applies to all tiers... but in UU wall teams cant kill a poke in less than 1 hour while OU or NU matches usually doesnt last more than 30 min... its not the players, its the tier

Edited by LuisPocho
1 hour ago, LuisPocho said:

yeah, thats true, and that applies to all tiers... but in UU wall teams cant kill a poke in less than 1 hour while OU or NU matches usually doesnt last more than 30 min... its not the players, its the tier

my victory in less than 7 mins against a 4 wall team would say otherwise. It's all about the matchup tho, ofc if you plan to go with a really defensive team and your opponent does the same, you can't expect for that to finish quickly, OU isn't like that because tier council did the smartest thing banning chansey because with it in the tier ou was just the same, sadly we can't just ban all the 21399328492 walls that uu has and fix it, gotta come from players too you know

2 minutes ago, Arimanius said:

my victory in less than 7 mins against a 4 wall team would say otherwise. It's all about the matchup tho, ofc if you plan to go with a really defensive team and your opponent does the same, you can't expect for that to finish quickly, OU isn't like that because tier council did the smartest thing banning chansey because with it in the tier ou was just the same, sadly we can't just ban all the 21399328492 walls that uu has and fix it, gotta come from players too you know

Having item clause activated for UU might help. Without leftovers on so many walls, we can definitely see a huge reduction in stall and general match times.

2 minutes ago, Moetal said:

Having item clause activated for UU might help. Without leftovers on so many walls, we can definitely see a huge reduction in stall and general match times.

A fun idea for a gimmick, but doesn't really seem like a viable option for regular play. That limits team building entirely, not just stall. 

3 minutes ago, Rigamorty said:

A fun idea for a gimmick, but doesn't really seem like a viable option for regular play. That limits team building entirely, not just stall. 

I disagree. I feel item clause would actually improve team building as both team are no longer filled with walls (and lower chances of encountering one). Other Pokémon which previously would simply be walled to death can now exploit the gaps between the limited amount of walls and breakthrough.

Edited by Moetal
Just now, Moetal said:

I disagree. I feel item clause would actually improve team building as both team are no longer filled with walls. Other Pokémon which previously would simply be walled to death can now exploit the gaps between the limited amount of walls and breakthrough.

and teams that want to run two choice bands?

5 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

and teams that want to run two choice bands?

If you are aiming for offensive capabilities, you have plenty of options - band, spec, scarf, LO, berries, dmg type items such as silk scarf. You're not being creative if you are limiting yourself to band. This is the same problem with current meta, people are just spamming choice, LO or leftover. Hardly any real "creativity".

Edited by Moetal
1 minute ago, Moetal said:

I disagree. I feel item clause would actually improve team building as both team are no longer filled with walls (and lower chances of encountering one). Other Pokémon which previously would simply be walled to death can now exploit the gaps between the limited amount of walls and breakthrough.

It's an unneeded punishment over this match. Even other stall matches won't likely last this long, and in case it starts to lead that way, a winner can be decided by a rule made to avoid terribly long stalling matches.

Just now, Moetal said:

If you are aiming for offensive capabilities, you have plenty of options - band, spec, scarf, LO, berries, dmg type items such as silk scarf. You're not being creative if you are limiting yourself to band.

Some pokemon rely on choice items to secure KOs. Other boosting items can fail to bring enough power, or not boost the move needed for a situation, in the case of single-type boosters. This would punish hyper offense just as much as stall.

Just now, Moetal said:

I disagree. I feel item clause would actually improve team building as both team are no longer filled with walls. Other Pokémon which previously would simply be walled to death can now exploit the gaps between the limited amount of walls and breakthrough.

It screws over offense builds too. You see one pokemon and it reveals it's choice scarf, now you know nothing else can be choice scarf on the opponent's team. Same logic with any other move. There's a reason why item clause is literally never a thing.

My match was prolonged because Sparkie wasn't really willing to take any risks at any point in the match until it had already been going on for 3+ hours. Admittedly, the game could have been shorter if I ran a different team, but I felt confident enough in the team, especially since I basically had no idea what sparkie was planning to run, since the last tournament he was in was about a month ago. A lot of the weaknesses I noted in his team he ran in that tournament were patched up in the PSL match. My initial thought was to rely on pursuit sneasel+silk scarf kangaskhan as his team relied on misdreavus+scizor as normal resists. Growth vaporeon was also a thought as his special wall was miltank and he generally didn't have much for it. And then PSL comes around where he has a 252 hp armaldo as his normal check and mantine+tbolt clefable as vaporeon checks.

A large part of PSL is a guessing game on what your opponent is running. Will your opponent run what they've run in the past? Will your opponent run a counter team to what you've run in the past? Will your opponent get a team from a team mate? The possibilities are endless. I don't think either team from me or sparkie were to blame for the long match, just the inevitable war of matchups in PSL. 

5 minutes ago, Arimanius said:

my victory in less than 7 mins against a 4 wall team would say otherwise. It's all about the matchup tho, ofc if you plan to go with a really defensive team and your opponent does the same

of course it depends on matchup, Im just saying that if stall is more viable in UU its cuz UU is like that and has nothing to do with that players lack of imagination/skill/spirit

oh well, maybe we shouldnt discuss this in the psl th

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.