[PSL 8] Week Seven

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, gbwead said:

=(1/16)+((1-(1/16))*(1/16))+(((1-(1/16))^2)*(1/16))+(((1-(1/16))^3)*(1/16))+(((1-(1/16))^4)*(1/16))

Chance to crit on the first try: (1/16)

Chance to crit on the second try: + ((1-(1/16))*(1/16))

Chance to crit on the third try: + (((1-(1/16))^2)*(1/16))

Chance to crit on the fourth try: + (((1-(1/16))^3)*(1/16))

Chance to crit on the fifth try: + (((1-(1/16))^4)*(1/16))

Since the chance to crit on the second try only matters if you don't crit on the first try, you need to take it into account when you calc the chance to crit on the second try. Same logic applies for the third, fourth and fifth tries. I hope that makes sense.

XPLOZ just explained that to me. I get it now thanks.

Damn, never seen probability been done like that

12 minutes ago, kevola said:

Damn, never seen probability been done like that

Just imagine how well would u learn if probability exercises in school were from pokemon games like this.

EDIT: Like, whats the chance of player A wining the game knowing that in x turns he needs to crit either in turn y and/or z, with also the opponent never critting in any of those turns. They could also add status and stuff like that.

Edited by pachima
22 hours ago, gbwead said:

I always pretended to understand the solution, but in reality I think it's bullshit.

The answer lies in the fact the announcer knows which door the prize is in.

Think like this: You have 3 doors. One is right. Then, announcer goes in and shuts down one of those choices(CAUSE HE KNOWS WHICH DOOR HE MUST ELIMINATE). In the end, you have one choice out of 2 doors, ez 50/50

1 hour ago, pachima said:

The answer lies in the fact the announcer knows which door the prize is in.

Think like this: You have 3 doors. One is right. Then, announcer goes in and shuts down one of those choices(CAUSE HE KNOWS WHICH DOOR HE MUST ELIMINATE). In the end, you have one choice out of 2 doors, ez 50/50

Most of the time the announcer only does it if you picked the right door, then trick you into changing into the wrong one. Or is it the other way around I forgot. Math is hard. 

It´s not actually a 50/50, the thing is at the beginning of the show or whatever you have 1 car and 2 goats so you had 1/3 chance of picking the right door, but the announcer goes and open a door that you didn't pick showing a goat and ask you if you want to switch doors, the thing is if you switch door your probability of winning becomes 2/3 so the best decision is always to change, let's see it like this assuming you picked the door number 1

Door 1 -- Door 2 -- Door 3 -- Switching Door -- Not Switching

Car      -- Goat    -- Goat    --         Goat         --         Car

Goat    -- Car      -- Goat    --          Car          --        Goat

Goat    -- Goat    -- Car      --          Car          --        Goat

52 minutes ago, Arimanius said:

It´s not actually a 50/50, the thing is at the beginning of the show or whatever you have 1 car and 2 goats so you had 1/3 chance of picking the right door, but the announcer goes and open a door that you didn't pick showing a goat and ask you if you want to switch doors, the thing is if you switch door your probability of winning becomes 2/3 so the best decision is always to change, let's see it like this assuming you picked the door number 1

Door 1 -- Door 2 -- Door 3 -- Switching Door -- Not Switching

Car      -- Goat    -- Goat    --         Goat         --         Car

Goat    -- Car      -- Goat    --          Car          --        Goat

Goat    -- Goat    -- Car      --          Car          --        Goat

SHUT THE FUCK UP NERD LMFAO