[Denied] OP can lock threads

I think it would be useful if the OP could lock their own threads. Once they have their answer all they need to do is click lock and no one else would add to it (preventing it from being at the top of the forum longer than it need be). They should not however be able to unlock it.

Also, OP's should be able to move their threads from where they originally made them (say someone accidentally made a suggestion in the guides forum, they could easily move it to the suggestion box as soon as they found out). The OP could also add their thread

to 'Trash' at their discretion.

If a mod/admin moves the thread though, the OP cannot move it again.

This should help save a lot of the mods' time as they have to lock / move threads less.

Footnote: searched for similar thread across all forums using keyword 'lock' - no relevant thread

Locking threads, I have no problem with.

Power over their own threads? I don't see the problem. In what way could this power be abused? It simply saves the Mods' time.

I support.

Moving them on the other hand may get abused. I can see people wanting to be annoying moving their threads from section to section, unless they're limited to 1 move per thread, that would be okay.

I also would like dislikes to be implemented, that way if trolls/flamers/spammers get enough dislikes on a post in a thread, OP can delete that post.

Maybe put a timer on locking threads? Like, "OP cannot lock a thread after 'x' amount of time."

--

(Dislikes should not be recorded, or result in any sort of ban or infractions towards members, they should simply be used my OP to keep there threads free of unnecessary nonsense.)

Power over their own threads? I don't see the problem. In what way could this power be abused? It simply saves the Mods' time.

I support.

Perhaps. But it would at the same time give the mods less controll over the topics. By that I don't mean just simply less power, but it could be very confusing for the moderators.

Rather than lock threads, just give everyone the ability to delete their own posts. OP deleting will delete the entire thread, of course.

Or instead of it getting deleted it just goes to the trash, where it can be retrieved at any given time.

Perhaps. But it would at the same time give the mods less controll over the topics. By that I don't mean just simply less power, but it could be very confusing for the moderators.

Then whatever action the moderator takes should be, as mentioned earlier in the topic, the final say. Perhaps a tickbox option from a moderator on that topic to say "No further moderation from OP" or something to that effect. Basically if a Mod chooses it, they can strip the "power" away from the OP and they could then only see it as if they were a regular poster.

Locking threads, I have no problem with.

Moving them on the other hand may get abused. I can see people wanting to be annoying moving their threads from section to section, unless they're limited to 1 move per thread, that would be okay.

I can't see anyone taking the trouble to move a thread all over the place. And if they did, it'd be easy enough to just grab it and check that option that I described above.

I honestly don't see how having control of your own topic could result in trollface chaos. Most forums I've visited have moderator privileges for your own topics. It's never been a problem, ever.

Then whatever action the moderator takes should be, as mentioned earlier in the topic, the final say. Perhaps a tickbox option from a moderator on that topic to say "No further moderation from OP" or something to that effect. Basically if a Mod chooses it, they can strip the "power" away from the OP and they could then only see it as if they were a regular poster.

I can't see anyone taking the trouble to move a thread all over the place. And if they did, it'd be easy enough to just grab it and check that option that I described above.

I honestly don't see how having control of your own topic could result in trollface chaos. Most forums I've visited have moderator privileges for your own topics. It's never been a problem, ever.

Just because you've never seen it happen, doesn't mean it's gonna happen. People go through a lot of trouble just to piss ppl off, lol. Which is why the idea of locking a thread in a certain section is a good thing. Just realized you suggested that.

Just because you've never seen it happen, doesn't mean it's gonna happen. People go through a lot of trouble just to piss ppl off, lol.

I'm not saying it wouldn't :)

I'm just saying it would probably be infrequent, and if anyone did anything stupid, it'd be easy enough for a mod to just delete the thread and temporarily ban repeat offenders. It would probably happen infrequently, meaning far less work for the mods than having to comb the forums and lock almost every thread that's come to its end.

I'm not saying it wouldn't :)

I'm just saying it would probably be infrequent, and if anyone did anything stupid, it'd be easy enough for a mod to just delete the thread and temporarily ban repeat offenders. It would probably happen infrequently, meaning far less work for the mods than having to comb the forums and lock almost every thread that's come to its end.

But if it did happen, this power given to the members of the forum to reduce trouble/hassle the mods go through, would just in turn cause more. Them having to track down repeat offenders, ban them, infract them (what ever they do), check off threads as unmovable. Seems to me like a lot more of a loss than a gain.

But if it did happen, this power given to the members of the forum to reduce trouble/hassle the mods go through, would just in turn cause more. Them having to track down repeat offenders, ban them, infract them (what ever they do), check off threads as unmovable. Seems to me like a lot more of a loss than a gain.

The faith you have in humanity is astounding. Haha. I say let the mods decide.

But locking your own thread should be a no-brainer.

How about no?

Why don't you give an explanation as to why you say no?

I don't even like the idea of them getting deleted, I like the idea of them being able to lock our own threads.

The faith you have in humanity is astounding. Haha. I say let the mods decide.

But locking your own thread should be a no-brainer.

It's not that I have a lack of humanity (not saying you said I do), but it's the fact that I know some 12 yr old wannabe troll is gonna waltz up in here and start uguuin' around.

IPB, the software this forum is run on, would require all users to be part of a "moderation" group to be able to have any control over the forum, or certain aspects of it. It sounds like too much of a hassle, when someone can just "report" the OP, and ask for it to be locked.

IPB, the software this forum is run on, would require all users to be part of a "moderation" group to be able to have any control over the forum, or certain aspects of it. It sounds like too much of a hassle, when someone can just "report" the OP, and ask for it to be locked.

This is true, I mean if we could all do this, what point would there be to even have mods?

derp

This is true, I mean if we could all do this, what point would there be to even have mods?

derp

Because we wouldn't have the ability to lock each other's threads. Just our own, which you should be able to do. I've seen, on a few occasions, someone changing their title and first post to "Please delete/lock this" because they wanted to trash or lock their own thread. The result is the same either way. Having the ability to do it yourself just cuts out the middle man, AKA the poor moderator.