bring back downvotes

what even is the point of this without downvotes existing? likes are already a thing, it's redundant. are staff too lazy to look at all the suggestions that get made, you need them to get mad updoots for attention? 

1 minute ago, Munya said:

If you don't like something just don't leave a vote, unfortunately the sorting system is awful and doesn't distinguish between +Vote rating and overall votes when sorting content.

why does that matter?

Just now, TrainerLilliany said:

blame xatu

agreed

But seriously, I can't sort topics by upvotes since IPB is terrible. The only thing I can do is sort by "total votes" which means stuff @ -25 is at the top, which makes it harder to read. The purpose of this is to make my life easier when viewing the SB, and to remind me of the small things we forget, which the community has reached consensus on.

Just now, Rigamorty said:

why does that matter?

Why does downvoting matter when not voting on what you don't like and voting on what you do serves the same purpose.  The systems purpose is to easily gauge what players want and don't want more easily, when you are unable to properly sort it all that becomes a much more difficult thing and the system doesn't serve its purpose.

1 minute ago, Kyu said:

But seriously, I can't sort topics by upvotes since IPB is terrible. The only thing I can do is sort by "total votes" which means stuff @ -25 is at the top, which makes it harder to read. The purpose of this is to make my life easier when viewing the SB, and to remind me of the small things we forget, which the community has reached consensus on.

Maybe just sort by date instead? 

Just now, notmudkip0 said:

Maybe just sort by date instead? 

That defeats the purpose of you all voting. Besides, there's 1500 topics in this forum and I don't want to spend 3 hours of my life looking through 50 pages.

Look, downvotes are a bad idea

if you disagree you disagree by pointing out the things you disagree with. In a community where a lot of people live of shitposting and making fun of people, do you really expect a downvote button to work?

Edited by Bilburt
Just now, Kyu said:

That defeats the purpose of you all voting. Besides, there's 1500 topics in this forum and I don't want to spend 3 hours of my life looking through 50 pages.

Not really, you'll still see recent suggestions that the community could vote in approval of. You don't need to dig through pages after pages of suggestions.

What if I made a python program that went through all the pages and reported which have the highest upvotes (with links to the suggestion)?

It wouldn't be difficult. The upvote number is in the html code.

In my opinion, the down vote system would pressure people to make legitimately good suggestions instead of just spewing them out whenever one pops into their head. This is the kind of stuff that clutters suggestion box. I dont know why people in this game want to be remembered as "the one that made alot of suggestions".

3 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

Not really, you'll still see recent suggestions that the community could vote in approval of. You don't need to dig through pages after pages of suggestions.

It defaults to sorting by recent so that you all can do that.

Also, I don't read this forum unless we're looking for something to do. It takes too much time to sift through. I'm asking you to sift through it for us, and the downvote function muddies that signal:noise ratio too much due to lack of filters.

1 minute ago, Gilan said:

What if I made a python program that went through all the pages and reported which have the highest upvotes (with links to the suggestion)?

It wouldn't be difficult. The upvote number is in the html code.

I mean, I can do it myself, I just don't want to have to. I have other things to do.

Edited by Kyu
4 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Just give ous cancel button and its gucci my friend.

3 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Oh yeah now excuse all of us while we go sort through the 1500 topics and upvote the good ones. Oh wait, fuck that. It's not like you're new, it's not like this is the first chance you get to check suggestion box. Just keep up with it as time goes by, it's really not that hard. If this really suggests you guys won't be looking at every suggestion and just looking for upvoted ones then that's just lazy, and your forum/game is not nearly active enough to excuse it. 

4 minutes ago, Kyu said:

agreed

once the fun wears off (like 2 days or something), the topics that will be at the top of the total votes list will practically only be popular topics that the community wants, or suggestions that have a mixed reaction from the community but start a lot of discussion (which are less likely to appear when only upvotes are counted).

both of these are usually something we want staff input on and that we would like you to notice.

though, you're still gonna see some of the super ass suggestions that do get downvoted to hell but that doesn't happen often.

1 minute ago, Kyu said:

I mean, I can do it myself, I just don't want to have to. I have other things to do.

I know that. You're a better programmer than me. But I can do this. If I did it, would you use my code and let us downvote again?

1 minute ago, Kyu said:

I'm asking you to sift through it for us, and the downvote function muddies that signal:noise ratio too much due to lack of filters.

Downvotes also give you an idea of what not to do. Plus, ideas that are actually good and wanted will still be upvoted a lot.

6 minutes ago, Bilburt said:

Look, downvotes are a bad idea

if you disagree you disagree by pointing out the things you disagree with. In a community where a lot of people live of shitposting and making fun of people, do you really expect a downvote button to work?

Option to downvote cuts back on the "your idea fucking sucks" type of post, since all you do to show dislike of an idea is click a button.

2 minutes ago, Rigamorty said:

Oh yeah now excuse all of us while we go sort through the 1500 topics and upvote the good ones. Oh wait, fuck that. It's not like you're new, it's not like this is the first chance you get to check suggestion box. Just keep up with it as time goes by, it's really not that hard. If this really suggests you guys won't be looking at every suggestion and just looking for upvoted ones then that's just lazy, and your forum/game is not nearly active enough to excuse it. 

Yep, you're right, I am terribly lazy and I don't want to go sifting through the SB after spending 6 hours working on GM tools & dungeons.

If you don't want to participate, that's fine. I don't really care. It's for people who do.