About Secret Base Decorations...

Mahina

Question

Hello, Pokemmo. I'm here to talk about a feature you all probably love. Hoenn's secret bases. Who doesn't right? I remember playing Pokemon Emerald on my GBA setting mine up. It was a simple process, and I could still buy healing items! And now I was so excited to play with my best friend and have our bases right in the same place! ...I was. Then I took a look at the prices for even the cheapest furniture items. And this had me fired up and really irritated, like, what use is a secret base if it's empty?? Before anyone says "but you can get decorations for free from npcs" I know. The problem is nothing to put it on. I've talked to people about this. The first thing said, and what I sadly assumed, was that it was a money grab. Look, you want to get paid. I get it. I sure as hell want money too since I'm too broke to donate. (I didn't understand donation didn't grant more ingame money. Mistake edited. Not sure where the guy got the idea from.) The second option is the one I got from the mods on chat in channel 2. I appreciate their answer and take it as their final one for the time being. That being: furniture IRL is expensive, it should be that way here too. Please don't take offense but that kind of sounds like an excuse to me. While irl furniture is expensive, ones who purchase such have stable jobs and a source of income to pay for it. While a bunch of pokemon trainers? Who are, in game lore, canonically children? Capitalism is either coming down hard on Hoenn or something doesn't add up.

TL;DR: I don't understand the overprice in decorations. Please consider lowering the ridiculous price. Thank you very much.

Edited by Mahina
Updated 7/23/17, edited my assumption on donating. Very sorry.

9 answers to this question

I feel like secret base decorations really aren't that expensive...

That being said, IIRC in the handhelds you could win a statue or trophy of some kind from contests to use in your base, or it might have been a painting? It would be cool if we could implement that. 

Edited by Jordzi

If you take a look at this guide:

You can see that nothing is outrageously expensive or anything. In my own secret base, I spent probably 500k altogether and...compared to alot of players in the game....500k is absolute chump change. I think 500k is a fair price for a nice looking base.

I guess a better argument for you would be: secret base item prices aren't newbie friendly. I can agree with that. I can imagine a new player going into the flower shop and saying "Wow!! 50k for a plant?!!" While staring sadly at their 7k. It probably does seem "expensive" from that perspective.   

But nothing end game is newbie friendly tbh. Breeding isn't newbie friendly. Competitive isn't newbie friendly. It's expensive at first. You just have to work your way up to being able to achieve what you want with ease. If you can't afford what you want then its time to grind like the rest of us do. Sadly, secret base items aren't tradeable or anything so no one will be giving them to you or selling them any cheaper than the NPCs. 

As far as it being a money grab....I don't recall anything for secret bases being bought with RP except for the Regi dolls which are no longer available iirc. So, I don't see how it's "donation bait" at all.

Update: I realise i'm wrong with the bit on donation. I'm sorry. I didn't understand how the donation proccess worked, I thought it gave the donor more money. The silliness of the prices still stand.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:51 AM, Staggiie said:

You can see that nothing is outrageously expensive or anything. In my own secret base, I spent probably 500k altogether and...compared to alot of players in the game....500k is absolute chump change. I think 500k is a fair price for a nice looking base.

I guess a better argument for you would be: secret base item prices aren't newbie friendly. I can agree with that. I can imagine a new player going into the flower shop and saying "Wow!! 50k for a plant?!!" While staring sadly at their 7k. It probably does seem "expensive" from that perspective.   

The question is why are secret bases considered endgame when you get the ability to use secret power and make them roughly in the middle of the game.

1 hour ago, Mahina said:

The question is why are secret bases considered endgame when you get the ability to use secret power and make them roughly in the middle of the game.

You quoted me but, idk, I'm not a dev. I can only give my opinion.

I think your question is sorta like asking "Why do they even give us pokemon if we can't breed comps until end game?" Should they give us full comp teams to start with now?
Of course not. It's the same logic though. You get a starter mon but that doesn't mean you can jump right into playing competitive. Same with secret power....just because you get it doesn't mean you can jump right into making a base. We just do things when we're able to do them. It doesn't always have to be "RIGHT NOW".

Instead of looking at it like, "These prices are a problem that need to be lowered." Try to look at it as, "How can I make more money to afford these things that I want?"
I'm pretty sure base items are priced to match the in-game economy. So the prices really shouldn't be a problem if you are actually participating in said economy. Imo, they're completely affordable and fair compared to everything else.  

The most expensive base item is like 90k. You can grind that no problem. Sell breeders, farm items, rematch NPCs, grow berries. Do anything. But don't just do nothing. Work for what you want. Grind a few 100k and buy your base some items.

Bases are only a cool little side thing anyways. 
And besides...if it was too easy and hella cheap to make a base....where would the bragging rights be when you finally make an amazing one? :)