Off-Server Battle/Spectator Voice Chat Protocol

Xatu

Question

Reason for off server: Indie game, bandwidth aint free.

How it works: Small macro that generates a unique discord chat server at the start of a battle. Its then linked in the game chat. "Click here for discord battle voice chat" The room is then deleted when all users leave.  

A disclaimer should be included as well saying that pokemmo is not responsible for anything said or links clicked.  

The same voice chat protocol could be started via a right click type command outside of a battle.

19 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Why?

MMO + Voice Chat = Dank

Comp games are all about talking shit over the mic bro.  It makes the game feel more "real" and literally makes it more fun too.  For those who dont wish to talk with your opponent, just dont click the Voice Chat link.

22 minutes ago, Xatu said:

MMO + Voice Chat = Dank

Comp games are all about talking shit over the mic bro.  It makes the game feel more "real" and literally makes it more fun too.  For those who dont wish to talk with your opponent, just dont click the Voice Chat link.

Yes, an immersive competitive massively multiplayer online game so realistic and astounding, and its about.. pixelated Pokemon. This isn't the hottest FPS game on whichever console is best these days, so it isn't necessary. The futility of this suggestion is like getting on a seesaw where a Groudon is on the other side.

1 hour ago, linwe said:

Yes, an immersive competitive massively multiplayer online game so realistic and astounding, and its about.. pixelated Pokemon. This isn't the hottest FPS game on whichever console is best these days, so it isn't necessary. The futility of this suggestion is like getting on a seesaw where a Groudon is on the other side.

Pokémon has had voice chat since gen 4 and even online chess servers has voice chat lol.  Its really not much to ask for. A game does not need to be an FPS to warrant voice chat at all.  The fact anyone could be opposed to voice chat is hilarious.  At least I didn't say "hey add voice chat lulz" I offered a workaround that saves server resources.

15 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Pokémon has had voice chat since gen 4 and even online chess servers has voice chat lol.  Its really not much to ask for. A game does not need to be an FPS to warrant voice chat at all.  The fact anyone could be opposed to voice chat is hilarious.  At least I didn't say "hey add voice chat lulz" I offered a workaround that saves server resources.

Yes, yes. I'm sure everyone screamed "FUCK SHIT" in their DS microphones when using Chatter. You're pitching an idea to a developer to create a script to create a small Discord(3rd party service, that I'm pretty sure PokeMMO doesn't officially use) server, and have the players voice chat on that, which is not worth the time and effort to create and implement when I'm certain there are other things that are much higher on the "priority list" for the developers. Aside from that, you could create your own Discord server for your friends if you want someone to coach you mid-battle.

17 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Pretty sure it was gen 6 that added voice chat, not 4. Keep in mind that cartridge games have no other means of chat, unlike pokemmo's text chat. Plus, if anyone cared enough about using vc during a battle, they would have their own discord server or PM ready.

40 minutes ago, linwe said:

Yes, yes. I'm sure everyone screamed "FUCK SHIT" in their DS microphones when using Chatter. You're pitching an idea to a developer to create a script to create a small Discord(3rd party service, that I'm pretty sure PokeMMO doesn't officially use) server, and have the players voice chat on that, which is not worth the time and effort to create and implement when I'm certain there are other things that are much higher on the "priority list" for the developers. Aside from that, you could create your own Discord server for your friends if you want someone to coach you mid-battle.

Well there is already a script that does what I'm suggesting. I believe its called inpromp2u, so devs shouldn't have to do too much work for this. The whisp thing totall y works but links are only clickable in team. 

42 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

Pretty sure it was gen 6 that added voice chat, not 4. Keep in mind that cartridge games have no other means of chat, unlike pokemmo's text chat. Plus, if anyone cared enough about using vc during a battle, they would have their own discord server or PM ready.

Nah its been around since gen 4 gen 5 had video chat even lol.

4 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

You should provide example instead of being like "hurt yes it did, where were you?" I wouldn't count gen 5's xtransceiver since it was local area only.

You were denying something that could've been proven with a quick google search if you don't trust my word on it lol. Gen 5 at least had WiFi voice chat tho.

2 minutes ago, Xatu said:

You were denying something that could've been proven with a quick google search if you don't trust my word on it lol. Gen 5 at least had WiFi voice chat tho.

Alright, but you completely ignored my point about pokemmo already having a chat function, and the availability of discord if anyone really cares about vc with a random.

4 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

Alright, but you completely ignored my point about pokemmo already having a chat function, and the availability of discord if anyone really cares about vc with a random.

First statement: Voice chat =/= text chat

Second: That's your opinion. Also there's the right click > invite to voice chat, so not entirely locked to randoms.

6 minutes ago, Xatu said:

First statement: Voice chat =/= text chat

Yes but you kept bringing up VC in cart games like it meant something.

6 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Second: That's your opinion. Also there's the right click > invite to voice chat, so not entirely locked to randoms.

Discord being available isn't an opinion, kek. Also you've twisted your suggestion into it being by invite and not automatic.

5 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

Yes but you kept bringing up VC in cart games like it meant something.

Discord being available isn't an opinion, kek. Also you've twisted your suggestion into it being by invite and not automatic.

There's no efficient way to share links without being in a team. And my unedited opening post mentions sending a right click invite in the last line.

The statement about it being in the carts has to do with linwe saying that only fps console games should have vc lol. The discussion only continued between me and you on the subject because you literally did not believe 4th gen had voice chat.

5 minutes ago, Xatu said:

There's no efficient way to share links without being in a team. 

It's not like there's a reason behind this or anything

also how would voice chat help this

Edited by PlazmaX
3 minutes ago, PlazmaX said:

It's not like there's a reason behind this or anything

also how would voice chat help this

I never said that should be the way it should be done. I said that in response to the "just share a discord link lolololo".

1 minute ago, Xatu said:

The statement about it being in the carts has to do with linwe saying that only fps console games should have vc lol.

She was giving an example you fruit. The point is that it's not a game with a bunch of players at once where you could use vc for easier coordination in say, a team deathmatch, on any game.

7 minutes ago, Xatu said:

There's no efficient way to share links without being in a team. And my unedited opening post mentions sending a right click invite in the last line.

Yeah it's really hard to ctrl+c and crtl+v a link to pokemmo chat. Sure you can't click the link outside of team chat, but it's easy to type the link right into a browser since invite links are so short.