Mega Moemon Firered (1.4c), August2023

So I saw that Moltres's sprite is higher priority now, and as cute as the newest frontsprite is, I preferred the body of the older attempt (the left one), so I decided to combine the body and arms of the one on the left, the head and wings of the one on the right, and a few other parts from other sprites. I might have gotten some proportions wrong, though.

vXEsBiM.png + ZQwNG85.png = JX1QrNP.png

I could have tried making a backsprite for Clefable completely from scratch, but her design is basically an alternative version of Wigglytuff's, so I just used Wigglytuff's backsprite as a base instead. Looking at Clefable also made me go back and look at Clefairy. Clefairy's drill hair is really unique, so I personally think it would deserve to go on Clefable more since Clefable is the final stage. Nevertheless, I'll let everyone else decide.

In addition, I tried to make Clefable's legs appear to be at a more comfortable angle and reshaded her legs and gloves to make better use of the darker colors. And Clefairy had been more recently updated than the one in the sprites folder, and I flipped her to make her front and backsprites have the same hand pointing with the sparkles. Then I made some versions of her with her old curled hairstyle and some where she has socks and shoes to match Clefable.

FdmGiwp.png Curly hair Clefable

d8OeEJy.png Drill hair Clefable

NMU6AR1.png 

Three variations: Curly hair Clefairy, Curly hair Clefairy + Moonstone shoes, and Curly hair Clefairy + Moonstone shoes + Pink socks

GOb6cTl.png

Three variations: Drill hair Clefairy, Drill hair Clefairy + Moonstone shoes, and Drill hair Clefairy + Moonstone shoes + Pink socks

Edit: I guess the proper term would be "ringlets" and not drill hair, but whatever. For right now, they mean the same to me.

Edit 2: Consolidated the images since there was no good reason for me to have so many versions when I could put them all in two images. Also looking for a new right hand for Clefairy because hers could be better.

Edited by Leafjewel
Consolidated images

@IratePomegranate Any more thoughts on Mega Charizard, or possibly the other Mega Starters? The next IPS will have mega charizard X and I will go with the best I have.

22 hours ago, Leafjewel said:

I might have gotten some proportions wrong, though.

vXEsBiM.png + ZQwNG85.png = JX1QrNP.png

I like the gloves of the second one. I'm now the convinced the dress would actually cover her in the last one, and the right leg doesn't look anatomical at all.

22 hours ago, Leafjewel said:

Then I made some versions of her with her old curled hairstyle and some where she has socks and shoes to match Clefable.

These are details that aren't needed to match. Moemon go through a timeskip when they evolve as far as I can tell. Keeping the same hairstyle after so many years in some High School AU doesn't seem something to be enforce. The socks do look good however.

Edited by Septentrion
26 minutes ago, Septentrion said:

I like the gloves of the second one. I'm now the convinced the dress would actually cover her in the last one, and the right leg doesn't look anatomical at all.

These are details that aren't needed to match. Moemon go through a timeskip when they evolve as far as I can tell. Keeping the same hairstyle after so many years in some High School AU doesn't seem something to be enforce. The socks do look good however.

What aspects of the gloves? The colors, the poses, or the frilly arm cuff thingies? Pose-wise I think the first's arms are more dynamic and since both Articuno and Zapdos shoot small amounts of their elements out of their hands (Articuno with the sparkly ice and Zapdos with the little bolts of lightning), I figured Moltres should too. I'll see if I can do something about her legs too (although is it the leg on our right or Moltres's right that's off?).

When I said old hairstyle, I meant more in reference to the older Clefairy designs having curled hair instead of ringlets. All I really wanted people to think about for the hair is which of the two should have curls and which should have the ringlets. In other words should it be/would people prefer:

Clefairy with ringlets evolves to Clefable with curls                  or

Clefairy with curls evolves to Clefable with ringlets

And both Clefairy and Clefable have moonstone colored sashes around their waist and moonstone trim on the bottom of their dresses, so matching the shoes and socks was just me furthering the uniformity between the two.

1 hour ago, Leafjewel said:

What aspects of the gloves? The colors, the poses, or the frilly arm cuff thingies? Pose-wise I think the first's arms are more dynamic and since both Articuno and Zapdos shoot small amounts of their elements out of their hands (Articuno with the sparkly ice and Zapdos with the little bolts of lightning), I figured Moltres should too. I'll see if I can do something about her legs too (although is it the leg on our right or Moltres's right that's off?).

When I said old hairstyle, I meant more in reference to the older Clefairy designs having curled hair instead of ringlets. All I really wanted people to think about for the hair is which of the two should have curls and which should have the ringlets. In other words should it be/would people prefer:

Clefairy with ringlets evolves to Clefable with curls                  or

Clefairy with curls evolves to Clefable with ringlets

And both Clefairy and Clefable have moonstone colored sashes around their waist and moonstone trim on the bottom of their dresses, so matching the shoes and socks was just me furthering the uniformity between the two.

When I use right and left, I mean the moemon's right and left, not ours.

The color of the second's gloves are what I like as Moltres already has so much yellow. Moltres furthest leg looks like it terminates at the knee, while you improved the closest leg. Also, the linework of the right arm is all wrong as Hardcore tended to mess that up. The fingers even bend outward from the palm. The sparkles would also just look like random pixels in silhouette. This one was the furthest from being complete so she needs a lot more work than the other birds.

The backsprite for Clefairy with curls isn't as good as Clefable's curl backsprite, so I recommend we go Clefable with curls to keep Clefairy's ringlet backsprite.(thet sentence was painful to construct).

Clefable's knot on her chest is identical to Wigglytuff's, so Clefable needs a design change there.

I worked some magic on that Carvanha so no more shiny green mouth:

wNrYBh2.png

Also changed the shape of the face on the back sprite.

I really like that short-haired Charmander, so I put the set together:

UnJ3KVo.png

The rest of the Charmander family has short hair, so this works out.

Looks like that Venomoth is done, so here's the set:

srYlXNa.png

That is a really outdated Magnemite sprite on page 1, this one is more recent:

ZBIrNzK.png

Edited by Kickern

So Clefairy with ringlets and socks is the one we're sticking with. Tried to find a new right hand/arm for her, but feel free to ignore this is you think her current one (the bottom rightmost) is fine.

Q2pj7cE.png

Are any of these Clefable backsprites any good? Also, I didn't know what to replace the chest bow with, so I just took it off and reshaded her chest.

knkgOiP.png

Do her legs look any better? I couldn't figure out how to fix her hand so I replaced it and now she's pointing at her flame.

M5FLmJd.png

@Septentrion

Depends on whether we go with building off the normal forms or create new sprites from scratch. The former is easier, but could get difficult with certain megas (Mega Aerodactyl and colour limitations come to mind).

@Leafjewel

My only issue with Kingler is that the hair looks very flat without a third colour for highlights. Maybe we could mess around with the palette and incorporate one of the armour colours into the hair?

Also am I the only one that thinks that our Carvanha/Sharpedo sprites are a bit too brightly coloured to work with dark skin?

8 hours ago, IratePomegranate said:

My only issue with Kingler is that the hair looks very flat without a third colour for highlights. Maybe we could mess around with the palette and incorporate one of the armour colours into the hair?

Also am I the only one that thinks that our Carvanha/Sharpedo sprites are a bit too brightly coloured to work with dark skin?

I originally considered using one of the beiges/tans from the armor to give Kingler some highlights, but no one objected and then I was lazy. Kingler's reference has orange highlights, but I think Kingler already has enough orange.

Spoiler

Edit: I'm not sure if I made her hair better or just brighter, but I definitely don't know how to apply highlights.

2eifpxv.png

The Carvanha (and Sharpedo) I posted uses the official Gen V color palette and the darker skin was mostly for personal use. Because they use the official palettes though, I have a hard time seeing anything as too bright or too dark since they are the actual colors of the Pokemon. That being said, feel free to make the palette darker or make Carvanha's skin lighter.

Edit: Found an old pigtails backsprite and edited it to fit Pinsir. Probably not the greatest looking though.

JRXqzFN.png

And for something mostly irrelevant to the matters at hand: Mewtwo (I mean if the birds are big enough to kneel, why not Mewtwo?). I tried cleaning up the backsprite for it to match CrookedWings' front edits and I think it came out okay. I changed the palette to the gen V colors, and I know there's a newer version of it, but I like this one with the ponytail.

L7egi9c.png+9rGtmam.png -> OiNAF1D.png

Edited by Leafjewel
On 7/26/2017 at 11:26 AM, IratePomegranate said:

Depends on whether we go with building off the normal forms or create new sprites from scratch. The former is easier, but could get difficult with certain megas (Mega Aerodactyl and colour limitations come to mind).

Both Mega Charizards are built on the normal form.  We aren't locking in either method of Mega sprite creation.

On 7/26/2017 at 11:54 AM, Leafjewel said:

Found an old pigtails backsprite and edited it to fit Pinsir. Probably not the greatest looking though.

JRXqzFN.png

Yeah, that needs to be improved a bit.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:57 AM, Kickern said:

That is a really outdated Magnemite sprite on page 1, this one is more recent:

ZBIrNzK.png

I remember that but couldn't find it.

The next beta version will include Charizard X. I'll have it by tonight, American time.

XW2GysV.png

Here's a video of the mega evolution process. I might have to adjust the original Charizard's position.

Spoiler

Also, I'm thinking of changing all the 87% male species to something like 50% male, 33% male, or 25% male. it's rather quite annoying to reset a bunch of times to get the gender you want. I don't have any other strong opinions on the other gender ratios, except maybe genderless pokemon.

6 hours ago, Tackle said:

2zf7uxt.png

good shiftry base

That is one of the oldest Shiftry frontsprites. This is a much newer Shiftry and it already has a backsprite. I think other than the disagreement about the faces, it was pretty much finished.

UNnSlpe.png

Edit: I'm just going to edit this post rather than make a new one.

I made shinies for Clefairy and Clefable from the shiny palette that was in the folder. Made some changes to Clefable's backsprite bangs to better match the frontsprite (her forehead now shows under her eyebrow and above her eye).

hdykpEV.png

tbPNMpD.png

x1 within the spoiler

Spoiler

YUihyx6.png

tklYqiF.png

Just need to put a pigtail on Pinsir, draw the ribbons, and probably (definitely) reshade her head. Here's how she looks so far (using pre-existing bases make everything go so much faster; it's great).

Edit 2: How's this?

kjggyWr.png->6K030xO.png

Mewtwo can wait, but I just thought that since the bird trio are all big enough to be kneeling that maybe Mewtwo should be too and the current Mewtwo (the one in the folder) is not that big. We could also use this Mewtwo as one of her two or three potential forms, just with a face edit.

E77x0MT.png

Edited by Leafjewel
1 hour ago, Tackle said:

i prefer this as a mewtwo

2ebrc78.png

Megas let us have multiple mewtwos, although both will need to be finished. It won't be a priority as it's a bonus after the last possible point in the game.

On 7/26/2017 at 11:02 AM, Leafjewel said:

Are any of these Clefable backsprites any good? Also, I didn't know what to replace the chest bow with, so I just took it off and reshaded her chest.

knkgOiP.png

The middle sprite looks best and most fitting to me, and Moltres is looking excellent.

I like the sash and tried reshading it so it didn't look so flat, but I might have messed up some stuff in the chest area while doing so. Now that I think about it, the backsprite's sidebang needs more shading.

Edit: Shaded the sidebang.

t6as1Mr.png->MxskNOx.png

It looks like you're doing a better job than I did with Kingler.

Going to repost Pinsir here for convenience.

lwF6tAC.png

Edit: Moltres

KWkMpYZ.png

Edited by Leafjewel

Using a different base, a Mega Venusuar sketch.

y5ONWSt.png

9 hours ago, Leafjewel said:

Going to repost Pinsir here for convenience.

lwF6tAC.png

Edit: Moltres

KWkMpYZ.png

Good job with the backsprites, although those knifes don't signify Pinsir's pincers well enough. The quality is good, but it's not recognizable as a Pinsir gijinka yet.

There was a time when I used that Venusaur instead of the one in the patch, so I did some edits and cleaned her up a bit (and made some wacky palette choices).

ekV7xID.png

So is Moltres ready for a shiny? Or does she need some more work done?

And I get what you mean about Pinsir, but I'm not really sure what could be done to actually make her knives look more like her pincers (especially when her ribbons are technically supposed to be her pincers). Or maybe we could make her short enough in her frontsprite to put on actual pincers and forego the ribbons altogether.

Edit: I'm just going to edit my posts instead of making new ones so I'm not every other comment on here.

I never once got the impression that Moltres's hair was glowing, but maybe that's just me. First I took off the brown shading, then I put the fire colors (because that's what came to mind for "glowing"), and then I remembered that the brown for the gloves existed.

5wKytWv.png

Removed Venusaur's sleeves and her socks, but I left the boots for now (current Ivysaur has shoes and the sassy Ivysaur that was being worked on has boots). Gave her a bracelet to match current Ivysaur. Tried to make a version with a crop top to show even more skin (emphasis on tried). Depending on feedback, I might go back and change the shading on her left leg and change the greens and blues back to the older palette.

c3egDEr.png

Edited by Leafjewel

Pinsir: I would guess spiked maracas would work. There's also double sided spears like a few of the Kemono Friends. There's also one-sided spears.

Mega Venusaur needs more in common with the current Venusuar. Skin and natural simplicity has been a persistent aesthetic of the Bublasaur line. Modesty isn't the problem, but a shift in theme.

Bigger flower is a quality of the Mega, fortunately. Another mega trait could be making her have a noticeable amount of Thick Fat, but focusing on the flower is enough. There's isn't a lot new in the canon Pokemon's design.

Moltres's backsprite has some brown at the lowest part of her hair. It looks to dark to me. The perception I always had was that her hair was glowing like fire.

Edited by Septentrion

I'm so glad to see that Moemon is still alive and well, and I'll admit I've been lurking for a week or two on here. I've been trying the demos, and as such I just wanted to bring up a couple of things in case they are a recurring problem. I guess the first is that I've been noticing that approximately half of the Pokemon are discolored in this. I haven't seen any of the sprites be the Moemon versions just yet, but considering it's the beta phase, I can understand that. The other thing I've noticed is that the game freezes or resets with certain moves. Defense curl and harden have made the game freeze, and quick attack so far has been making my game reset. I've been patching the IPS right onto a clean version of Fire Red as this has been going on, so I don't think I'm doing it wrong, but I'm open to suggestions. 

The last thing I want to ask has to just do with the fact that there are going to be most of the generations included in this version. Considering the sheer volume of legendary Pokemon that would now be included, I was just wondering how all of that was going to be handled. Just was curious, really. 

Edited by SOAForever
22 minutes ago, SOAForever said:

I've been trying the demos, and as such I just wanted to bring up a couple of things in case they are a recurring problem. I guess the first is that I've been noticing that approximately half of the Pokemon are discolored in this. I haven't seen any of the sprites be the Moemon versions just yet, but considering it's the beta phase, I can understand that. The other thing I've noticed is that the game freezes or resets with certain moves. Defense curl and harden have made the game freeze, and quick attack so far has been making my game reset. I've been patching the IPS right onto a clean version of Fire Red as this has been going on, so I don't think I'm doing it wrong, but I'm open to suggestions. 

That's why there is a beta. Howevver, I have tried the patch and couldn't reproduce your problems. Defense Curl works normally, the moemon are moemon up til Vermilion. There are different versions of firered ROMs which don't work properly IPS due to there only being one stardard base(U)(Squirrels).

35 minutes ago, SOAForever said:

The last thing I want to ask has to just do with the fact that there are going to be most of the generations included in this version. Considering the sheer volume of legendary Pokemon that would now be included, I was just wondering how all of that was going to be handled. Just was curious, really. 

Most generations can be included, but the art needs to exist. It's unlikely Kalos, Unove, and Sinnoh will have full sets ever, but I won't stop anyone presenting something like a Chespin or Riolu line.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:23 PM, Leafjewel said:

Edit: I'm just going to edit my posts instead of making new ones so I'm not every other comment on here.

The edits are hard to notice. Just wait until the end of the day if you're worried about posting too much.

The last Moltres back looks the best to me and I would consider her ready for the shiny. Mega Venusuar's cat ears don't fit at all. Maybe some science with lesser Venusuar's Backsprite.

First off, Machop family icons. Too lazy to upload with bigger sizes.

KfmoPcf.pngZjUIwuN.pngevoizFa.png

Did some more shading to Moltres's bottom bang and her left knee. So should she have pink flames for her shiny or blue flames to match the other birds? (Articuno and Zapdos have blue shinies)

pWALOGV.png

Better leg shading and I changed her palette to the same as current Venusaur's. Also, she has cat ears? Where?

fUnw3dR.png

Noticed that shiny Venusaur's palette was a bit off. Two of the oranges were swapped incorrectly and the overly yellow chest was strange to me.

fgsHUCw.png

Decided to compare Pinsir to the other big bugs to see where we should go with her. For the top Pinsir, I shrank her face by a pixel and her legs by a few so that I could fit in her actual pincers. I also shrank her arms to match her shorter legs. I don't think a Heracross was decided on, and it would be simple to pick which head, body, and trident to science together, so we can just ignore her for now. Top Pinsir and Heracross are shorter than the bottom row (and Scyther is just there for comparison).

IqKBjzX.png

By the way, it seems no one knows this, but Sinnoh is actually completed with Moemon. Not all of them are above poor to moderate quality, but there exists Moemon sprites for every Pokemon in Sinnoh.

Lastly, you might want to update the front page with that information about the proper rom version. I have the same problem of the discolored sprites and tried three different Fire Red 1.0 roms thinking maybe none of them were clean. I'm going to go find that version you mentioned and see if that fixes everything for me.

Edit: Nope, I still get this even after using the Fire Red (U)Squirrels base. Opening the patched rom in the Gen III Hacking Suite reveals after a quick look that Venusaur has its Moemon sprite, most of the other pokemon don't, and several are colored strangely.

Spoiler

Squirtle's front is also strange colors.

tfce65e.png

Found a Poochyena, so the patch was applied correctly for at least that.

jxWZo88.png

This is a great example of the off-colored sprites.

tWtr7Hz.png

Ralts doesn't even have a Moemon icon. (Maybe this is intentional though).

OXO5u2W.png

Ah yes, the elusive shiny Weedle in the tutorial. (Okay, no more complaints about the weird colored sprites).

R1gxZII.png

And then my game hung indefinitely and I was forced to quit.

0gyRf2I.png

Edited by Leafjewel
Documenting the patch issues
45 minutes ago, Septentrion said:

That's why there is a beta. Howevver, I have tried the patch and couldn't reproduce your problems. Defense Curl works normally, the moemon are moemon up til Vermilion. There are different versions of firered ROMs which don't work properly IPS due to there only being one stardard base(U)(Squirrels).

I searched out and downloaded that ROM after seeing your comment, and tried patching the IPS file into that one, but unfortunately I ran into the same issue. Perhaps it's the patcher I'm trying to use? Since I play by using an emulator on my phone, I do the patching on my phone using an app called Unipatcher, and up until now it has done the job. Perhaps I need to find a different patching app, or should I do patching on my computer via LunarIPS and then copy the patched rom onto my phone? Anyone have suggestions? Or is there an important step I'm missing? 

Edited by SOAForever